PDA

View Full Version : NFL Curses?

Mr. Maddux
10-19-03, 04:39 PM
Do you guys think some teams in the NFL have curses, like those of Boston and Chicago in baseball?

What about the Giants, with the loss to Dallas, the playoff defeat in San Fran, and the "Miracle in the Meadowlands"?

Maybe the Cardinals, with their long history of failure?

Or maybe the Vikings, with the "Hail Mary" play against them in the 1970s, and the 0-4 in Super Bowls?

Maybe Buffalo, with their 0-4 in the Big Game?

Or maybe the Jets, who haven't won it since 1969?

Maybe Cleveland, with all of their close calls?

Or an other? :D

Irascible Yankee Fan
10-22-03, 03:12 PM
I have never considered the Jets as cursed, but remember Ronnie Lott saying when he played for them that the Jets were snake bit....and I think he was right.

BroadwayBomber55
11-25-03, 10:53 PM
The Cleveland Browns are definitely cursed. I dubbed them the Boston Red Sox of the NFL since their last championship in 1964 and their famous trilogy of playoff disasters that cost them the Super Bowl: "Red-Right-88", "The Drive", "The Fumble" Ever since Paul Brown left the Browns, the Browns fall apart since 1964. I call it "The Curse of Paul Brown"

baseballboy4life
12-04-03, 10:43 AM
What is up with the Vikings, they go on a win streak now they're on a losing streak. Looks like they have the biggest curse going right now.

Looie #19
12-09-03, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by BroadwayBomber55
Ever since Paul Brown left the Browns, the Browns fall apart since 1964. I call it "The Curse of Paul Brown"

Um.....when Paul Brown left the Browns went 69-27-1 over the next 7 seasons, from 1963 to 1969. They won the title 2 years after Paul Brown left. How in the world is that falling apart? Did Paul Brown delay his "curse" a couple year? I know they were playing under the name of the Ravens, but that Baltimore franchise is the same Cleveland franchise and ownership that fired Paul Brown.

That franchise's dry spells were in the mid to late 70s and the 90s, when even one of the best coaches in football couldn't extract more than one winning season out of the poorly run team.

soonerpride21
12-15-03, 09:14 PM
the Bills had a great accomplishment by going to 4 straight Super Bowls, but they're cursed in losing all 4 of them. scott norwood's 47 yard fg... sails wide right, gg. winning one of them would be more than enough to keep me quiet about the topic, but the fact is, they didn't get it done 4 consecutive times, and to me, it looks like more than just bad luck.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
12-16-03, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Maddux
Do you guys think some teams in the NFL have curses, like those of Boston and Chicago in baseball?

What about the Giants, with the loss to Dallas, the playoff defeat in San Fran, and the "Miracle in the Meadowlands"?

Maybe the Cardinals, with their long history of failure?

Or maybe the Vikings, with the "Hail Mary" play against them in the 1970s, and the 0-4 in Super Bowls?

Maybe Buffalo, with their 0-4 in the Big Game?

Or maybe the Jets, who haven't won it since 1969?

Maybe Cleveland, with all of their close calls?

Or an other? :D

You forgot the Vikes' massive collapse in the NFC Championship game against the Falcons in 1998 after that brilliant 15-1 season. Newspapers had "Broncos vs. Vikings" already printed! Then you have Buffalo, who lost to 3/5 of the NFC East in their 0-4 run, including the Cowboys TWICE (*Go 'Boys*), including Norwood's "wide right".

Everyone else is either just plain crappy, has won it all before, or used to win it all back in the pre-Super Bowl days.

Mr. Maddux
12-16-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by DaBoys4LifeNYY35

You forgot the Vikes' massive collapse in the NFC Championship game against the Falcons in 1998 after that brilliant 15-1 season. Newspapers had "Broncos vs. Vikings" already printed! Then you have Buffalo, who lost to 3/5 of the NFC East in their 0-4 run, including the Cowboys TWICE (*Go 'Boys*), including Norwood's "wide right".

Everyone else is either just plain crappy, has won it all before, or used to win it all back in the pre-Super Bowl days.

How could I forget? The Vikes were up by 10...Gary Anderson actually missed a kick for the first time that season....

uconnhoopz123
12-30-03, 10:08 PM
i think the dolphins are cursed. it seems every year they start off so great and always choke at the end. This year they were 10-6 and they didnt make the playoffs. With Dan Marino the greatest quarterback of all time they never won a superbowl