PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Limbaugh Blasts Quarterback on ESPN / Rush Resigns

Carissa
10-01-03, 11:30 AM
Limbaugh Blasts Quarterback on ESPN
2 hours, 34 minutes ago Add Entertainment - AP to My Yahoo!
By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=529&e=2&u=/ap/20031001/ap_en_tv/limbaugh_quarterback

PHILADELPHIA - New ESPN commentator Rush Limbaugh said on the network's pregame show that Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback do well.

McNabb called the whole thing "sad," but an ESPN spokesman said he didn't think the comments were racially biased.

"He was comparing McNabb's performance on the field to his reputation in the media," spokesman Dave Nagle said Tuesday. He said Limbaugh doesn't do interviews.

On ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown," Limbaugh, the outspoken conservative radio talk show host, said he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start. The quarterback's career has included two straight NFC championship games and MVP runner-up.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: "It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal."

A decade ago, there were few black quarterbacks in the NFL. This season, 10 of the 32 teams will have started black quarterbacks in at least one game.

"I think the Philadelphia Eagles and the city of Philadelphia are very lucky to have Donovan McNabb," Eagles coach Andy Reid said, calling his quarterback "the best in the business."

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he started. On Sunday, the team was 32-13 over the Buffalo Bills.

With Limbaugh, ratings for the ESPN show are up 10 percent overall this season, and up 26 percent among men 18 to 34 years old, Nagle said. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since November 1996.

"ESPN hired Limbaugh for his passion and his ability to express opinion and spark debate as a football fan," Nagle said. "In just one month, he has certainly delivered."

Limbaugh is best known as the radio host of the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Clinton (news - web sites) and now spends Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called "the fulfillment of a dream."

Mickey
10-01-03, 12:08 PM
Why this moron is even on ESPN is a mystery to me. It was just a matter of time until something like this happenned.
But the ratings are up....and that's the bottom line.....sadly.
Just a couple of minutes ago on his radio show...RL said "It's making a mountain out of a mole hill."
Donovan was right....thought we were through this deal.

Carissa
10-01-03, 02:12 PM
McNabb: Too Late for Limbaugh Apology
1 hour, 44 minutes ago Add Sports - AP to My Yahoo!
By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=531&e=1&u=/ap/20031001/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_mcnabb_limbaugh

PHILADELPHIA - Donovan McNabb isn't looking for an apology from Rush Limbaugh, who said he was overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

It's too late for that.

"He said what he said. ... I'm sure he's not the only one that feels that way but it's somewhat shocking to acutally hear that on national TV," the Philadelphia Eagles' quarterback said of Limbaugh at a news conference Wednesday. "An apology would do no good because he obviously thought about it before he said it."

Before McNabb led the Philadelphia Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Limbaugh said ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

McNabb, who was runner-up for the league MVP award in 2000 and has led the Eagles to two straight NFC championship games, said he has no quarrel with Limbaugh's comment on his playing ability. "I know I played badly the first two games," he said Wednesday.

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he started.

He said Wednesday that Limbaugh's comments about his race were out of bounds and added that someone on the show should have taken him on. Among the other panelists are former players Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson, both of whom are black.

"I'm not pointing at anyone but someone should have said it," McNabb said of the panelists, who also include Chris Berman and Steve Young. "I wouldn't have cared if it was the cameraman."

Seven black quarterbacks started games last Sunday. Two other blacks who regularly start, Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota and Michael Vick of Atlanta, were out with injuries.

bakntime
10-01-03, 03:33 PM
At the risk of sounding racist (which I am SO not), I have to somewhat agree with Rush... let me explain...

Look for example at that female race car driver (forgive me I can't remember her name)... Don't you think she gets more press because she's a minority at what she does? If she was a man, would she be as well known?

Same deal for guys like Nomo, Ichiro, and Matsui... If they were "American", would they be as well publicized by the media?

I think that was basically Rush's point, although I don't think it came out how he intended it to. But realistically, at a position (quarterback) where blacks are the minority, I think it's a natural tendency for the media to "overplay" the guy. It's got nothing to do with race, it's just the nature of media. If someone isn't "like everyone else", the media will make a "bigger deal" out of them than if they were the "norm"...

Just my 2 cents. I'm not saying what he said was appropriate, but I'm pretty sure, based on the context, that he meant no racial mal intent whatsoever.

Jersey Yankee
10-02-03, 12:04 AM
I personally don't think that McNabb is more hyped than John Elway was prior to winning two Supes. Before this, Elway was known as someone who could get you there, but couldn't win it. At least that's what I remember, but can only think of his loss in '86 to Phil Simms and the Giants.

Anyway, McNabb's problem is that he always gets to the game before the Supe, but has never gotten past that. I think any QB would be on the front burner re news coverage if that happens.

If he can go further and get to and eventually win the Supe, making him only the 2nd black QB to have done so, he won't have to worry about being overhyped or whether someone's put him there simply becuz he's black. He'd be a winner and that's all that would matter, IMO.

Jersey Yankee
10-02-03, 12:07 AM
http://www.foxsports.com/content/view?contentId=1714468

Limbaugh resigns over comments about McNabb

Associated Press
Oct. 2, 2003 12:14 a.m.

NEW YORK (AP)— Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned from ESPN on Wednesday night, three days after saying Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

Earlier Wednesday, Democratic presidential candidates Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and Rev. Al Sharpton called for the cable sports network to fire Limbaugh.

"My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated," Limbaugh said in a statement Wednesday night. "I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

"I love `NFL Sunday Countdown' and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it.

"Therefore, I have decided to resign. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of the show and wish all the best to those who make it happen."

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, accepted the resignation.

"We regret the circumstances surrounding this," he said in a statement. "We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

McNabb had said earlier Wednesday that he didn't mind criticism of his performance. He was upset that Limbaugh made his race an issue and said it was too late for an apology.

"It's somewhat shocking to hear that on national TV from him," McNabb said. "It's not something that I can sit here and say won't bother me."

Limbaugh insisted earlier Wednesday he had "no racist intent whatsoever." In fact, he said he must have been right; otherwise, the comments would not have sparked such outrage.

Before McNabb led the Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Limbaugh said on ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said on "Sunday NFL Countdown."

"There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team," he said.

Limbaugh did not back down during his syndicated radio talk show Wednesday.

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."

The NFL disclaimed any responsibility from Limbaugh's remarks.

"ESPN knew what it was getting when they hired Rush Limbaugh," league vice president Joe Browne said. "ESPN selects its on-air talent, not the NFL."

Sharpton scheduled a news conference Thursday morning in front of ABC headquarters in New York. He said he would call for ESPN to fire Limbaugh and would call for a national boycott of the network this weekend if he isn't. ABC and ESPN are corporate cousins, both owned by Walt Disney Co.

"I'm going to call for ESPN to terminate Rush Limbaugh as we've seen other networks terminate people for racist remarks in the past," Sharpton said Wednesday night. "I'm shocked that we're at Wednesday and we have not seen an apology from Mr. Limbaugh. We cannot sit back in silence. That would be consent and we would have lost self-respect."

Chris Berman, who anchors the ESPN show, said he did not believe Limbaugh's tone or intent was malicious.

"As cut and dry as it seems in print, I didn't think so when it went by my ears," he said. "I probably should have looked to soften it. We're sorry we upset a guy who got off to a rough start."

McNabb said someone on the show should have taken on Limbaugh. Among the other panelists are former players Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson, both of whom are black.

"I'm not pointing at anyone but someone should have said it," McNabb said of the panelists, who also include former quarterback Steve Young. "I wouldn't have cared if it was the cameraman."

Limbaugh was scheduled to be in Philadelphia on Thursday to speak at a broadcast convention. McNabb said he wouldn't be welcome at the Eagles' practice.

"I really don't want to see him," McNabb said. "You can say you're sorry all you want, it doesn't matter. It's been said."

Clark, a retired Army general, called the remarks "hateful and ignorant speech." And Dean, a former Vermont governor, followed up with his own assessment - "absurd and offensive."

The NAACP also condemned Limbaugh's remarks, calling them "bigoted and ignorant," and called for the network to fire Limbaugh or at least provide an opposing point of view on the show.

"It is appalling that ESPN has to go to this extent to try to increase viewership," NAACP President Kweisi Mfume said in a statement.

McNabb, who was runner-up for the league MVP award in 2000 and has led the Eagles to two straight NFC championship games, said he has no quarrel with Limbaugh's comment on his ability.

"I know I played badly the first two games," he said.

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he has started, including 4-3 in the playoffs.

Limbaugh on Wednesday reiterated that he doesn't think McNabb is a bad player, just that he isn't as good as some media members think he is.

"This is such a mountain out of a molehill," he said. "There's no racism here, there's no racist intent whatsoever."

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused "Rush Limbaugh Show," which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Clinton and now spends Sunday mornings talking football, a job he called "the fulfillment of a dream."

Limbaugh helped increase the ratings for "Sunday NFL Countdown." ESPN spokesman Dave Nagle said ratings are up 10 percent overall. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since 1996.

Seven black quarterbacks started games last weekend. Two other blacks who regularly start, Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota and Michael Vick of Atlanta, were out with injuries.

Asked about Limbaugh's comments, Eagles defensive end N.D. Kalu said: "He speaks well, he's well-read, but he's an idiot."

Bub
10-02-03, 06:53 AM
Why doesn't this surprise me?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2003-10-02-limbaugh-resigns_x.htm

Limbaugh resigns; Report: Prescription drug abuse probed
By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

Commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned Wednesday night from ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown amid a firestorm that erupted over the controversial statements he made this past weekend about Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb.
"My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated. I offered an opinion," Limbaugh said in a statement released by ESPN. "This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

ESPN
Limbaugh

"I love NFL Sunday Countdown and do not want to be a distraction ... Therefore, I have decided to resign," he said.

"We accept his resignation and regret the circumstances surrounding this," said George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports.

Not long after Limbaugh's resignation was announced, media reports surfaced saying he was under investigation in Florida for illegally buying and abusing prescription painkillers.

The New York Daily News, without identifying its source, reported in Thursday editions that Limbaugh was being investigated by the Palm Beach County state attoney's office. The newspaper said it had independently confirmed a story by the National Enquirer that was to be published Thursday.

The Enquirer had interviewed Wilma Cline, who said she became Limbaugh's drug connection after working as his maid, according to the Daily News.

A Miami lawyer for Cline, Ed Shohat, did not immediately return a phone message left at his office early Thursday. Limbaugh's lawyers, Jerry Fox and Dan Zachary, refused to comment to the Daily News.

Mike Edmondson, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County state attorney's office, told The Associated Press early Thursday that his office could neither confirm nor deny that an investigation was under way.

Limbaugh said Sunday that McNabb received undeserved credit for his team's success that came from media outlets with "social concern" and "very desirous that a black quarterback do well."

McNabb, who was runner-up for the MVP award in 2000 and has led the Eagles to two straight conference title games, said Wednesday, "I'm sure he's not the only one that feels that way. But it's somewhat shocking to actually hear that on national TV." McNabb scoffed at the notion of preferential media treatment: "A free ride from the media in Philadelphia? That's a good one."

McNabb said an apology from Limbaugh "would do no good" because his comments "obviously" were premeditated.

Limbaugh was supposed to bring a buzz to Countdown, which Sunday drew about 2.1 million households, its biggest audience in seven years. And that buzz got louder: Two Democratic presidential candidates, Wesley Clark and Howard Dean, called Wednesday for ESPN to fire Limbaugh.

Former San Diego Chargers star Kellen Winslow, spokesman for a group that monitors racial issues in the NFL, called the resignation "great news. Now, ESPN can get back to covering football."

Limbaugh, on his national radio show Wednesday, said, "This is such a mountain out of a molehill. There's no racism here. There's no racist intent whatsoever."

Before McNabb led the Eagles to a 23-13 victory over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday, Limbaugh said on ESPN's pregame show that he didn't think McNabb was as good as perceived from the start.

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said on Countdown. "There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

"All this has become the tempest that it is because I must have been right about something," Limbaugh said. "If I wasn't right, there wouldn't be this cacophony of outrage that has sprung up in the sports writer community."

"ESPN knew what it was getting when they hired Rush Limbaugh," league vice president Joe Browne said. "ESPN selects its on-air talent, not the NFL."

Chris Berman, who anchors the ESPN show, said he did not believe Limbaugh's tone or intent was malicious.

"As cut and dry as it seems in print, I didn't think so when it went by my ears," he said. "I probably should have looked to soften it. We're sorry we upset a guy who got off to a rough start."

McNabb said someone on the show should have taken on Limbaugh. Among the other panelists are former players Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson, both of whom are black.

"I'm not pointing at anyone but someone should have said it," McNabb said of the panelists, who also include former quarterback Steve Young. "I wouldn't have cared if it was the cameraman."

Limbaugh was scheduled to be in Philadelphia on Thursday to speak at a broadcast convention. McNabb said he wouldn't be welcome at the Eagles' practice.

"I really don't want to see him," McNabb said. "You can say you're sorry all you want, it doesn't matter. It's been said."

Clark, a retired Army general, called the remarks "hateful and ignorant speech." And Dean, a former Vermont governor, followed up with his own assessment — "absurd and offensive."

McNabb got off to the worst start of his career this season and was the NFL's lowest-rated starting quarterback after losses to Tampa Bay and New England. Still, the Eagles are 36-22 in games he has started, including 4-3 in the playoffs.

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused Rush Limbaugh Show, which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Clinton and said his job with ESPN was "the fulfillment of a dream."

Limbaugh helped increase the ratings for Sunday NFL Countdown. ESPN spokesman Dave Nagle said ratings are up 10% overall. Sunday's show drew its biggest audience in the regular season since 1996.

Seven black quarterbacks started games last weekend. Two other blacks who regularly start, Daunte Culpepper of Minnesota and Michael Vick of Atlanta, were out with injuries.

Contributing: The Associated Press

Big_E
10-02-03, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Bub
Why doesn't this surprise me?

Which part? That he resigned or that he abused drugs? :evil:

Yankee Bulldawg
10-02-03, 08:28 AM
Does'nt surprise me that he quit

Rush to the exit

Limbaugh steps down from 'NFL Sunday Countdown'
Posted: Thursday October 2, 2003 2:06AM; Updated: Thursday October 2, 2003 2:12AM

McNabb expected criticism for his team's 0-2 start, but not Limbaugh's comments.
John Biever/Sports Illustrated

NEW YORK (AP) -- Conservative commentator Rush Limbaugh resigned from the cable TV sports network ESPN, three days after sparking outrage by saying Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb is overrated because the media wanted to see a black quarterback succeed.

After defending his comments on his nationally syndicated radio show, Limbaugh issued a statement Wednesday night announcing his resignation.

"My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated," Limbaugh said in a statement. "I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

"I love NFL Sunday Countdown and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it," Limbaugh said.

George Bodenheimer, president of ESPN and ABC Sports, accepted the resignation.

"We regret the circumstances surrounding this," he said in a statement. "We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

SI.com's Peter King
I had to shake my head when I heard about Rush Limbaugh's comments on Donovan McNabb. You may have heard them by now, but if you haven't, Limbaugh said on ESPN's Sunday pre-game show that he didn't think the Eagles quarterback was as good as the media made him out to be.

Click here for full story.

McNabb had said earlier Wednesday that he didn't mind criticism of his performance, but was upset that Limbaugh made his race an issue and said it was too late for an apology.

"It's somewhat shocking to hear that on national TV from him," McNabb said. "It's not something that I can sit here and say won't bother me."

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well," Limbaugh said on Sunday NFL Countdown.

"There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team," he said.

Earlier Wednesday, Democratic presidential candidates Wesley Clark, Howard Dean and Rev. Al Sharpton called for the cable sports network to fire Limbaugh.

Before Limbaugh's resignation, Sharpton had scheduled a news conference Thursday morning in front of ABC headquarters in New York. He said he would call for ESPN to fire Limbaugh and would call for a national boycott of the network this weekend if he isn't. ABC and ESPN are both owned by Walt Disney Co.

"I'm going to call for ESPN to terminate Rush Limbaugh as we've seen other networks terminate people for racist remarks in the past," Sharpton said Wednesday night. " ... We cannot sit back in silence. That would be consent and we would have lost self-respect."

McNabb said someone on the show should have challenged Limbaugh. Among the other panelists are former players Michael Irvin and Tom Jackson, both of whom are black.

Clark, a retired Army general, called the remarks "hateful and ignorant speech." And Dean, a former Vermont governor, followed up with his own assessment -- "absurd and offensive."

Limbaugh on Wednesday reiterated that he doesn't think McNabb is a bad player, just that he isn't as good as some media members think he is.

"This is such a mountain out of a molehill," he said. "There's no racism here, there's no racist intent whatsoever."

Limbaugh is the radio host of the politically focused Rush Limbaugh Show, which is syndicated in more than 650 markets worldwide.

He spent most of the 1990s assailing then-President Bill Clinton and said his job with ESPN was "the fulfillment of a dream."

ESPN spokesman Dave Nagle said ratings for Sunday NFL Countdown were up 10 percent overall since Limbaugh joined the show this year

Bub
10-02-03, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Big_E

Which part? That he resigned or that he abused drugs? :evil: I hear Al Franken has a new book - Rush is a Big Fat Stoned Racist Idiot.

PeteRFNY
10-02-03, 08:58 AM
And so, on cue, the great Left Wing smear machine goes into OVERDRIVE!

I am STILL waiting for someonw to tell me what Rush said that wasn't true! McNabb IS overrated - can there be another reason?

Even a Massachusettes Lefty like Chris berman doesn't understand what the big deal is: Chris Berman, who anchors the ESPN show, said he did not believe Limbaugh's tone or intent was malicious.

Granted, I used to enjoy Rush more when he had more fun with his show and have not heard too much of him in recent years, but this amazingly well-orchestrated strike certainly gets points for timing.

When you have the Daily News taking a hearsay story from the NATIONAL ENQUIRER (of all places) about the man using drugs - and putting on the front page as fact - there's not a whole lot of question left to who still controls the mainstream media, is there?

No one smells blood and tears a carcass apart with quite the fervor of the Left. And they call everyone else "mean spirited". Ha!

Some folks like it when the First Amendment only goes one way.

Petezs

smr15
10-02-03, 09:01 AM
You've GOT to be kidding.......

The national enquirer and the NY News also ran the front page stories of Monica's stained blue dress !
Was THAT left-biased stories?

Face it.
Rush will be shown for the blow-hard hypocrite he is.
Preaching to people, when he's illegally obtaining and ingesting drugs.

Hey, did you know that one side effect of the O.C's is HEARING LOSS??
People were all feeling sorry for Rush when he lost his hearing, due, he said, to an "immune system" problem.
HA.
lmao.

PeteRFNY
10-02-03, 09:03 AM
When someone comes across with a stained dress from Rush's closet, we can continue comparing apples to oranges.

Al Franken (for example) is ten times the smug blowhard Rush will ever be. But he plays for the other team so that makes being an a-hole perfectly OK.

Again, a one-way street. Whee!

Petezs

Bub
10-02-03, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by PeteRFNY1
I am STILL waiting for someonw to tell me what Rush said that wasn't true! Whether it's true or not isn't the issue. It's whether or not he should be saying these things on TV. It was inappropriate, and now he can go back to his radio show and do all the left-wing democrat bashing he wants without hesitation. It's odd, I agree with most of what Limbaugh says, but if there's anything called a "Republican Supremacist" he's one of them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's a racist too.

Mickey
10-02-03, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by smr15
You've GOT to be kidding.......

The national enquirer and the NY News also ran the front page stories of Monica's stained blue dress !
Was THAT left-biased stories?

Face it.
Rush will be shown for the blow-hard hypocrite he is.
Preaching to people, when he's illegally obtaining and ingesting drugs.

Hey, did you know that one side effect of the O.C's is HEARING LOSS??
People were all feeling sorry for Rush when he lost his hearing, due, he said, to an "immune system" problem.
HA.
lmao.
Ya nailed it kid....it's called "thin-skinned"
8+ years of the "Hillbilly Herorin" bashing WJC, his daughter, his wife, his mother, his dog, his cat.......it always comes back to bite you.
:P :D :D :D :D
I don't want the FCC to pull his license.....the sponsers will be making exits shortly. Besides.....this is fun to watch and listen to.:D :D :P

PeteRFNY
10-02-03, 09:39 AM
If saying what everyone else knows but doesn't have the stones to say makes you a racist, then I guess so. But it's the loudest protests that contain the largest kernels of truth.

All I'm saying is that when I see the reactions that come out whenever something like this, it becomes pretty clear which side of the idealogical spectrum is ACTUALLY the most intolerant and mean-spirited.

Besides, if Rush were really "thin-skinned" he would have left the business years ago. He'll outlast this nonsense, too. Hopefully it'll light a fire under him to be more inspired at what he does again.

Petezs

PalmerGA
10-02-03, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Bub
It's whether or not he should be saying these things on TV.I don't know Bub... but I do know it would be perfectly acceptable if a black sportscaster were to say that a white guy got all the usual breaks and that's why he's a professional athlete. I mean, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Now tell me please, leftists and liberals: what about Rush's "freedom of speech" rights? Again, The Constitution goes out the freakin' window when the liberals want it to. You'd think there would be some consistency among those who so adamently demand that people's rights be upheld.... until it involves something like this. Why is it that there are suddenly no rights when it comes to expressing a personal opinion about a particular black football player? And yes.... McNabb IS OVERATED!

WindRavenX
10-02-03, 10:04 AM
ESPN knew what they were getting when they hired Rush; I find it kinda weird that they dumped him during the first controversey because ESPN knew that he would say something like this sooner or later.
Rush has his opinions and he can say whatever the **** he wants. My problem is that he's on ESPN. Sports is the last refuge from politics, and I don't want a drop of politics in the world of sports. Sometimes it's good to take a break from all the fighting, and baseball and football and hockey and all those things is a good distraction. I don't see why ESPN had to hire him, but if they hired him to give NFL Countdown a controversial edge to it, then what was ESPN expecting? Seriously.
Then again, maybe having Rush on popular TV will be a good thing so people can see how warped he is.
Please go back to your radio show and stay there Rush, thankyouverymuch.

Mickey
10-02-03, 10:25 AM
Hmmmmm! Would explain the weight loss.:P :D :D

Bozidar
10-02-03, 12:02 PM
the startling thing about rush was that he was completely wrong.

there are 4 star black quarterbacks right now.
McNabb, McNair, Culpepper and Vick. All of these guys are top guys, and playmakers. No need for the press to invent anything..

coalcracker
10-02-03, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Bozidar

McNabb, McNair, Culpepper and Vick. All of these guys are top guys, and playmakers. No need for the press to invent anything..

Exactly. McNabb's ability aside, my first thought when he made his statrement about McNabb was, "'why the **** would the media want to see a black quarterback succeed?"

patrick.o
10-02-03, 02:30 PM
And so, on cue, the great Left Wing smear machine goes into OVERDRIVE!
.......No one smells blood and tears a carcass apart with quite the fervor of the Left. And they call everyone else "mean spirited". Ha!
:lol: Yes, if I've said it once I've said it a million times, the Left has a monopoly on smear! :lol: :rolleyes:

It amazes me that you can type that kind of stuff seriously. Nothing like the old partisan blinders to get you through the day.

patrick.o
10-02-03, 02:37 PM
Al Franken (for example) is ten times the smug blowhard Rush will ever be. But he plays for the other team so that makes being an a-hole perfectly OK.

Again, a one-way street. Whee!
Aren't you advocating and deriding the same thing? You overlook that Rush is a smug a-hole while screaming about someone else overlooking that Franken is a smug a-hole. Yes, down with "them" becasue they are doing the same exact thing as me, but differently!

A smug a-hole is a smug a-hole is a smug a-hole. Rush and Franken are pretty much equals in my book.

patrick.o
10-02-03, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by PalmerGA
I don't know Bub... but I do know it would be perfectly acceptable if a black sportscaster were to say that a white guy got all the usual breaks and that's why he's a professional athlete. I mean, here we go again. :rolleyes:
Say what? When has anyone ever said anything like that? The usual breaks?

[B]Now tell me please, leftists and liberals: what about Rush's "freedom of speech" rights? [B]
I'm neither but it saddens me that you can't tell the difference between a kid wearing a shirt in a public school and an employer having issues with something one of it's employees says to a national tv audience. And in case no one noticed, Rush didn't get fired, he quit.

patrick.o
10-02-03, 02:50 PM
And just for the record, I didn't find what Limbaugh said to be very offensive. McNabb is black, and he is a quarterback, and the teams he's led have been supported greatly by the defense. Essentially it boils down to Limbaugh thinking McNabb is over-rated, and everyone's entitled to their opinion, no?

I think he over-reacted by quiting, though. Seems like he wimped out instead of sticking to his guns.

sanfranciscojetergirl
10-02-03, 02:51 PM

I agree with you Boz but just an Fyi, there are a total(including McNabb)
8 Black Quarterbacks:
McNabb
McNair
Culpepper
Vick
Jeff Blake
Aaron Brooks
Qunicy Carter
Kordell Stewart
The top 4 are great the bottom 4 there are Ok. I don't have a problem with Rush Statement, I have a problem with how it was said.

Bozidar
10-02-03, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by sanfranciscojetergirl
8 Black Quarterbacks:right, but i said "star" QBs :) IMO, the others don't make that group..

sanfranciscojetergirl
10-02-03, 02:59 PM
right, but i said "star" QBs :) IMO, the others don't make that group..

Boz, you are so wrong for that, but true;)

jpao89
10-02-03, 04:05 PM
When the Dixie Chicks made contreversial comments, they faced a firestorm of criticism. Of course, that criticism was derided as being "censorship" or "a violation of their free speech rights." Now, Limbaugh makes some contreversial (and I think just dumb) comments and he faces a firestorm of criticism. Of course, that criticism is lauded as being Limbaugh's just deserts. My take away from all this is that if you say something contreversial about a Republican or the President, well that is a-ok and you should not face criticism one. Say something contreversial involving race or some other hot topic near and dear to the left, you must be silenced and outcast.

jpao89
10-02-03, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Mickey

Ya nailed it kid....it's called "thin-skinned"
8+ years of the "Hillbilly Herorin" bashing WJC, his daughter, his wife, his mother, his dog, his cat.......it always comes back to bite you.
:P :D :D :D :D
I don't want the FCC to pull his license.....the sponsers will be making exits shortly. Besides.....this is fun to watch and listen to.:D :D :P

He completely failed to nail it. Thin skinnned, give me a break pal. You and I both know who is thin skinnned. Drudge brought that report to the forefront, not the National Enquirer. Drudge only got that report when a Newsweek writer leaked him the information. . after Newsweek had decided to spike the story.

Mickey
10-02-03, 10:32 PM
Oy vey 98..........pussy boy.......finally gonna get what he ****s? .........he has a history ya know.
http://www.fair.org/articles/limbaugh-color.html
niiiiiiiice:P

jpao89
10-03-03, 08:22 AM
Oy vey 98..........pussy boy.......finally gonna get what he ****s? .........he has a history ya know.
http://www.fair.org/articles/limbaugh-color.html
niiiiiiiice:P

Wow, thats quite a reaction Mickey. . .you seem a little thin skinned when it comes to this issue.

pussy boy. So, your definition of being a "pussy" is anyone who says things you disagree with? No, it is someone who says things you disagree with and you can't, or someone you agree with, can't respond to that person. So the answer then is to dig up as much **** on that person as you can to discredit them. Who are the pussies? Ok, I will use your definition: Dan Rather, Katie Couric, Matt Lauer, Peter Jennings, most of the staffs of the New York Times, the LA Times, NPR and the list goes on and on and on. . Oh, I forgot, all those people are "neutral." Anyway, they say things on a daily basis that I disagree with (from their bully pulpits) and I can't respond. They have audiences that DWARF Rush Limbaugh's audience.

Mickey
10-03-03, 09:30 AM
When you publicaly go after a man the day his mother dies of cancer.....using a microphone as your source...calling her a "tramp, a no good horse-playing tramp".....when you go after a man's daughter......calling her "the real dog in the White House"....when you spend hours on "inhaling".......when you spend hours on public radio trying to rip apart a nation....a marriage........yeah....98.....that's my definition of a "pussy". Hide behind a mike.....grant no interviews because the pussy would get eaten alive and exposed for the fake that he is.......
Bill Bennett......the higher than moral afficiendo.....Mrs. Clinton was a $2 horse better.
Rush has no children.....that the public knows of....Thank God.....but That "dog" in the White House turned out to be a fine young lady.
Criticize the presidents marriage.....when Rush is on his 4th?
Go after a man for smoking pot? While ingesting ludes?
Have a good laugh over a chocolate lab being run over and killed?
That my friend.........is my definition of a "pussy".

Barb51850
10-03-03, 09:36 AM
When you publicaly go after a man the day his mother dies of cancer.....using a microphone as your source...calling her a "tramp, a no good horse-playing tramp".....when you go after a man's daughter......calling her "the real dog in the White House"....when you spend hours on "inhaling".......when you spend hours on public radio trying to rip apart a nation....a marriage........yeah....98.....that's my definition of a "pussy". Hide behind a mike.....grant no interviews because the pussy would get eaten alive and exposed for the fake that he is.......
Bill Bennett......the higher than moral afficiendo.....Mrs. Clinton was a $2 horse better.
Rush has no children.....that the public knows of....Thank God.....but That "dog" in the White House turned out to be a fine young lady.

I'm standing and applauding Mick!!! :) :)

Barb51850
10-03-03, 11:22 AM

From a column in today's Newsday:

"'When you strip it all away," Rush had said of the Grateful Dead guitarist, "Jerry Garcia destroyed his life on drugs. And yet he's being honored, like some godlike figure. Our priorities are out of whack, folks."

PeteRFNY
10-03-03, 11:28 AM
Just for the record - I guess other people must be "crazy" too...

Rush Limbaugh Was Right
Donovan McNabb isn't a great quarterback, and the media do overrate him because he is black.
By Allen Barra
Posted Thursday, October 2, 2003, at 3:33 PM PT

http://slate.msn.com/id/2089193/

In his notorious ESPN comments last Sunday night, Rush Limbaugh said he never thought the Philadelphia Eagles' Donovan McNabb was "that good of a quarterback."

If Limbaugh were a more astute analyst, he would have been even harsher and said, "Donovan McNabb is barely a mediocre quarterback." But other than that, Limbaugh pretty much spoke the truth. Limbaugh lost his job for saying in public what many football fans and analysts have been saying privately for the past couple of seasons.

Let's review: McNabb, he said, is "overrated ... what we have here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback can do well—black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well."

"There's a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of his team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

Let's take the football stuff first. For the past four seasons, the Philadelphia Eagles have had one of the best defenses in the National Football League and have failed to make it to the Super Bowl primarily because of an ineffective offense—an offense run by Donovan McNabb. McNabb was a great college quarterback, in my estimation one of the best of the '90s while at Syracuse. (For the record, I helped persuade ESPN Magazine, then called ESPN Total Sports, to put him on the cover of the 1998 college-football preview issue.) He is one of the most talented athletes in the NFL, but that talent has not translated into greatness as a pro quarterback.

McNabb has started for the Eagles since the 2000 season. In that time, the Eagles offense has never ranked higher than 10th in the league in yards gained. In fact, their 10th-place rank in 2002 was easily their best; in their two previous seasons, they were 17th in a 32-team league. They rank 31st so far in 2003.

In contrast, the Eagles defense in those four seasons has never ranked lower than 10th in yards allowed. In 2001, they were seventh; in 2002 they were fourth; this year they're fifth. It shouldn't take a football Einstein to see that the Eagles' strength over the past few seasons has been on defense, and Limbaugh is no football Einstein, which is probably why he spotted it.

The news that the Eagles defense has "carried" them over this period should be neither surprising nor controversial to anyone with access to simple NFL statistics—or for that matter, with access to a television. Yet, McNabb has received an overwhelming share of media attention and thus the credit. Now why is this?

Let's look at a quarterback with similar numbers who also plays for a team with a great defense. I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson one of the best quarterbacks in pro football—which is how McNabb is often referred to. In fact, I don't know anyone who would call Brad Johnson, on the evidence of his 10-year NFL career, much more than mediocre. Yet, Johnson's NFL career passer rating, as of last Sunday, is 7.3 points higher than McNabb's (84.8 to 77.5), he has completed his passes at a higher rate (61.8 percent to 56.4 percent), and has averaged significantly more yards per pass (6.84 to 5.91). McNabb excels in just one area, running, where he has gained 2,040 yards and scored 14 touchdowns to Johnson's 467 and seven. But McNabb has also been sacked more frequently than Johnson—more than once, on average, per game, which negates much of the rushing advantage.

In other words, in just about every way, Brad Johnson has been a more effective quarterback than McNabb and over a longer period.

And even if you say the stats don't matter and that a quarterback's job is to win games, Johnson comes out ahead. Johnson has something McNabb doesn't, a Super Bowl ring, which he went on to win after his Bucs trounced McNabb's Eagles in last year's NFC championship game by a score of 27-10. The Bucs and Eagles were regarded by everyone as having the two best defenses in the NFL last year. When they played in the championship game, the difference was that the Bucs defense completely bottled up McNabb while the Eagles defense couldn't stop Johnson.

In terms of performance, many NFL quarterbacks should be ranked ahead of McNabb. But McNabb has represented something special to all of us since he started his first game in the NFL, and we all know what that is.

Limbaugh is being excoriated for making race an issue in the NFL. This is hypocrisy. I don't know of a football writer who didn't regard the dearth of black NFL quarterbacks as one of the most important issues in the late '80s and early '90s. (The topic really caught fire after 1988, when Doug Williams of the Washington Redskins became the first black quarterback to win a Super Bowl.)

So far, no black quarterback has been able to dominate a league in which the majority of the players are black. To pretend that many of us didn't want McNabb to be the best quarterback in the NFL because he's black is absurd. To say that we shouldn't root for a quarterback to win because he's black is every bit as nonsensical as to say that we shouldn't have rooted for Jackie Robinson to succeed because he was black. (Please, I don't need to be reminded that McNabb's situation is not so difficult or important as Robinson's—I'm talking about a principle.)

Consequently, it is equally absurd to say that the sports media haven't overrated Donovan McNabb because he's black. I'm sorry to have to say it; he is the quarterback for a team I root for. Instead of calling him overrated, I wish I could be admiring his Super Bowl rings. But the truth is that I and a great many other sportswriters have chosen for the past few years to see McNabb as a better player than he has been because we want him to be.

Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he is black, and Limbaugh is right. He didn't say anything that he shouldn't have said, and in fact he said things that other commentators should have been saying for some time now. I should have said them myself. I mean, if they didn't hire Rush Limbaugh to say things like this, what they did they hire him for? To talk about the prevent defense?

Allen Barra is the author of Clearing the Bases: The Greatest Baseball Debates of the Last Century.

Bub
10-03-03, 11:38 AM
Recent remarks by Jay Leno:

They've replaced Rush on ESPN with Trent Lott. I don't think this is going to work out either. Lott's first comment on ESPN was, "You know, if Strom Thurmond had been elected President back in 1948, Donovan McNabb never would have thrown those interceptions."

Limbaugh had been supplied drugs by his housekeeper for 4 years. Let me tell you something. If someone is supplying you drugs for 4 years, they are no longer your housekeeper. They are your drug dealer.

jpao89
10-03-03, 01:24 PM

Oh cute me a break pal. Dan Rather and the boys go after people every freaking day. The difference is that they do it behind the camera with the aire of "neutrality." At least Limbaugh tells you what the hell he stands for and what his agenda is. You know what, knowing that is his agenda and knowing it offends you WHY LISTEN. In contrast, there are millions who watch Danny boy and the rest who claim to be neutral arbiters of the news. They take that public trust and use it to ruin people's lives. AND WHAT THE **** DO YOU CALL WHAT YOUR PRECIOUS MAINSTREAM MEDIA DID TO BUSH'S DAUGHTERS!!!

jpao89
10-03-03, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Bub
Recent remarks by Jay Leno:

They've replaced Rush on ESPN with Trent Lott. I don't think this is going to work out either. Lott's first comment on ESPN was, "You know, if Strom Thurmond had been elected President back in 1948, Donovan McNabb never would have thrown those interceptions."

Limbaugh had been supplied drugs by his housekeeper for 4 years. Let me tell you something. If someone is supplying you drugs for 4 years, they are no longer your housekeeper. They are your drug dealer.

or replace him with Bobby Byrd. Oh, excuse me, it is OK to be a racist if you are affiliated with a particular party.

Bub, are you testifying at his trial. Lets wait until the investigators make their charges.

coalcracker
10-03-03, 01:30 PM
.....and a draft-dodging pussy, at that, Mickey.

jpao89
10-03-03, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by coalcracker
.....and a draft-dodging pussy, at that, Mickey.

Then he is qualified to be president, on two accounts.

Barb51850
10-03-03, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by jpao89

Oh cute me a break pal. Dan Rather and the boys go after people every freaking day. The difference is that they do it behind the camera with the aire of "neutrality." At least Limbaugh tells you what the hell he stands for and what his agenda is. You know what, knowing that is his agenda and knowing it offends you WHY LISTEN. In contrast, there are millions who watch Danny boy and the rest who claim to be neutral arbiters of the news. They take that public trust and use it to ruin people's lives. AND WHAT THE **** DO YOU CALL WHAT YOUR PRECIOUS MAINSTREAM MEDIA DID TO BUSH'S DAUGHTERS!!!

No comparison. Dan Rather never called anyone's mother a tramp, or anyone's daughter a dog. What the mainstream media did to Bush's daughters was report the truth. When you put your family up as a paragon of virtue (as Bush did), don't expect sympathy when your daughters are out getting drunk.

coalcracker
10-03-03, 02:30 PM

Then he is qualified to be president, on two accounts.

Only if that 4-F pimple on his ass has healed.

jpao89
10-03-03, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Barb51850

No comparison. Dan Rather never called anyone's mother a tramp, or anyone's daughter a dog. What the mainstream media did to Bush's daughters was report the truth. When you put your family up as a paragon of virtue (as Bush did), don't expect sympathy when your daughters are out getting drunk.

Oh, I see, what the press says about a conservatives family is the truth. Thank you for clarifying that Barb. Conservatives must be perfect, but those who disagree with them are allowed to be imprefect. Nice try. No, Dan doesn't have the guts to call anyone anything straight out. Instead he does a hatchet job on the person by running one sided stories.

Look, I am a believer that all media is biased in one direction or the other. At least Limbaugh tells you what he stands for UP FRONT. Nobody is making you listen to him. . I don't. I happen to find him to be a pompus ass, but that does not take away his right to express an opinion even if it is half baked. Of course, it is sooooo convenient to label that opinion as "hate." I just have to ask this question. Is it really hate or that you hate what he is saying? That is a big difference that I think is getting lost in this country. They run stories on NPR that make my blood boil, I hate it, but it is not hate. It is the other opinion. That is what discourse in this country is supposed to be all about. Now what I see going on is disgusting. Label the other side unworthy of being heard. Here, is a debate between L and C.

L: I think that the rich should pay more taxes. After all, this country has been good to them and provided them with the opp. to succeed. They should give back.

C: I disagreee. I think. . . .

L: SILENCE!!!! You have no right to spew any of your hate. You are a sexist, racist, homophobe. You should not be heard you big pussy.

Barb51850
10-03-03, 04:27 PM

Oh, I see, what the press says about a conservatives family is the truth. Thank you for clarifying that Barb. Conservatives must be perfect, but those who disagree with them are allowed to be imprefect. Nice try. No, Dan doesn't have the guts to call anyone anything straight out. Instead he does a hatchet job on the person by running one sided stories.

You are putting words in my mouth. No, I never said that what the press says about a conservative family is the truth. Also, I never said conservatives have to be perfect, or those who disagree with them are allowed to be imperfect. Yes, there is bias on both sides, you are right about that. What I have a problem with is people like Rush who put themselves out there as such moral, perfect people and they are anything but.

YANKEE MAGIC
10-03-03, 04:28 PM

Wow tell us how you really feel!..........what does this mean? "using a microphone as your source" ............Heres a question what do you call someone who goes after someone who has just been
forced to quit a job and may have or had a drug problem?? Kinda takes the moral high ground away I would say.

LRYankee23
10-03-03, 04:43 PM
He's a piece of garbage

Superunknown
10-03-03, 07:25 PM

Lets wait until the investigators make their charges.

Now there's a novel idea. Innocent until proven guilty, remember, folks?

Rich
10-03-03, 09:00 PM
As Jon Stewart said, Rush Limbaugh's drug use has been overrated by the white media.

WindRavenX
10-03-03, 10:40 PM
Why do people care about his drug use? The problem isn't his drug use.....

Rich
10-03-03, 10:48 PM
I think it's becauses he has often judged the morals of others, so people are looking for payback. IMO, if the story is true, I hope recovery makes him a better person.

WindRavenX
10-03-03, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Rich
I think it's becauses he has often judged the morals of others, so people are looking for payback. IMO, if the story is true, I hope recovery makes him a better person.
I understand the why people are destroying him for it- if it's true it makes him a huge hypocrite- but I think people are seriously wasting their energy on the drug use aspect, IMHO. And IF he's on drugs, I wish him a speedy recovery.

Mickey
10-04-03, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by WindRavenX

I understand the why people are destroying him for it- if it's true it makes him a huge hypocrite- but I think people are seriously wasting their energy on the drug use aspect, IMHO. And IF he's on drugs, I wish him a speedy recovery.
It's not the drug abuse Windy.....if in fact he has a problem I hope he gets help.
Somethings are just off limits IMO. Mothers, dogs and children come to mind. If you klik the link I posted...you'll see some examples of his work. Before hanging up on an African American....he told him "to get the bone out of his nose." What he said about Latinos and liquor stores?
Using a mic as a screen.......as protection...IMO just makes him more moronic and yeah..scary. As scary as the masses he has as followers.
Barb's post about Jerry Garcia? Just another example. Coalcrackers's post about him dodging the draft? You have any idea how many air-time hrs. he has used to go after WJC for protesting Vietnam? The hrs. spent on Clinton smoking pot?
Of course he lets you know where he stands.....most hypocrites do.

ACPS
10-04-03, 11:35 AM
Gee, I wonder what Rush would say if these illegal drug charges had come out against, say, Tim Robbins?

Anyway, human being to human being, I hope he gets help for his problem. I hope he loses his job and his career is ruined, but I hope he gets out of this denial stage he's in and gets help. :)

YANKEE MAGIC
10-04-03, 04:07 PM
Just found this looks like Rush may be safe as far as a legal issue. I talked to a friend from FL with contacts in well lets just say in the "know" who says that Roy Black, Limbaugh's lawyer is very close to having a deal for Rush to testify against the maid and her husbund for immunity.........

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2003/10/4/114332.shtmlSaturday Oct. 4, 2003; 11:26 a.m. EDT
Case Against Limbaugh Called Weak

Despite screaming front page headlines and top-of-the-hour news reports suggesting that Rush Limbaugh is in legal hot water over allegations that he abused painkillers over a four year period, prosecutors and attorneys said Saturday that any actual criminal case against the top talk star would be weak.

James Martz, the prosecutor who heads up the Palm Beach County, Florida task force investigating the Limbaugh case noted that police never actually caught the talk star purchasing any drugs. "Shy of that, we have very little leverage in the state system," he told the Palm Beach Post.

Martz said he is more interested in finding the heads of drug distribution cells rather than going after alleged low-level prescription drug users like Limbaugh.

Florida attorney Michael Salnick agreed that the case is weak, telling the Post, "I think that the state better have a heck of a lot more than what I'm seeing, hearing and reading right now."

"First of all you have a major credibility issue with these witnesses. The credibility issue starts with the fact they sold their story to The National Enquirer," the attorney said.

"I think it's legal suicide to go after a guy like Limbaugh with evidence as flimsy as this," Salnick added.

Another problem is that one of Limbaugh's accusers, David Cline, was convicted himself on cocaine trafficking charges in 1982.

What about the wire worn by Cline's wife Wilma, Limbaugh's housekeeper who told the Enquirer that she taped their last two drug transactions?

Apparently the recording is more legally problematic for the Clines than it is for Limbaugh. Attorneys told the Post that if Mrs. Cline did tape Limbaugh without his knowledge, she committed a third-degree felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

What more, prosecutor Martz said such an illegally obtained recording would be inadmissible in court.

How about the emails supplied by Cline that purportedly document Limbaugh's drug deals?

Martz told the Post that any such evidence is of little value because it's difficult to actually verify who sent the email.

Further weakening any possible prosecution is the issue of Limbaugh's celebrity, which Florida attorney Marc Shiner said complicates the case.

"Why would drug dealers turn in their client unless they are trying to save their own neck -- or trying to make a couple hundred thousand dollars peddling their story to the tabloids?" he asked.

"If I was Roy Black," Shiner added, referring to the lawyer Limbaugh has reportedly hired, "I'd be sitting on the beach right now sipping a pina colada or watching a Marlins game and not worrying too much about Rush Limbaugh's criminal liability right now."

Rich
10-04-03, 04:56 PM
Roy Black (a Democrat) is the best, but I can tell you from my experience that no one in Rush's position would be prosecuted if they agree to treatment.

He is only guilty of being a world class hypocrite, which is a very serious offense for someone who has always impugned the morals of those he disagrees with.

Mickey
10-04-03, 05:45 PM
Roy Black? That's interesting....he defended the Kennedy kid in that rape case in FL.
:P

jpao89
10-06-03, 08:17 AM
Roy Black (a Democrat) is the best, but I can tell you from my experience that no one in Rush's position would be prosecuted if they agree to treatment.

He is only guilty of being a world class hypocrite, which is a very serious offense for someone who has always impugned the morals of those he disagrees with.

This guy is a terrific lawyer. It is funny that he is a Democrat. Then again, Bush's lead lawyer in the 2000 election was a Democrat.

ACPS
10-10-03, 02:07 PM
Just admitted that he's addicted to pain killers. Checking himself into a 30-day rehab clinic. Says he's "not a victim". Why isn't he going to jail again?

John Flaherty
11-01-03, 03:32 PM
Rush was 100% right. I've been saying it for a few years now, that McNabb's just a college-caliber, scrambling quarterback with no throwing arm. He barely surpasses 3,000 yards each year, has never completed more than 58% of his pass attempts in his career, and now he's statistically the worst quarterback, by far, in the NFL. He's not very good, at all, and the league even admitted to having tried to recruit more black quarterbacks. If McNabb were white, it's pretty obvious he would not be in the NFL right now. The Eagles' defense has been what wins them games, which is entirely evident now that they've had an injured secondary all year, don't have Hugh Douglas, and have bombed bombed. If he were really a star player, McNabb would be able to carry his team to victory, and he hasn't done that at all. It's a shame everyone jumps on Rush because he's never afraid to say what other people think.

Rich
11-02-03, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by John Flaherty
Rush was 100% right. I've been saying it for a few years now, that McNabb's just a college-caliber, scrambling quarterback with no throwing arm. He barely surpasses 3,000 yards each year, has never completed more than 58% of his pass attempts in his career, and now he's statistically the worst quarterback, by far, in the NFL. He's not very good, at all, and the league even admitted to having tried to recruit more black quarterbacks. If McNabb were white, it's pretty obvious he would not be in the NFL right now. The Eagles' defense has been what wins them games, which is entirely evident now that they've had an injured secondary all year, don't have Hugh Douglas, and have bombed bombed. If he were really a star player, McNabb would be able to carry his team to victory, and he hasn't done that at all. It's a shame everyone jumps on Rush because he's never afraid to say what other people think.

Rush is full of it. Up until the time he hurt his ankle, McNabb was an elite QB, and probably will be again. Parcells and Spurrier have been quoted as saying the same thing.

People jump on Rush because he has proven to be a unabashed hypocrite. Was he telling the truth when he said drug addicts should go to jail? :rolleyes:

John Flaherty
11-03-03, 02:48 PM

Rush is full of it. Up until the time he hurt his ankle, McNabb was an elite QB, and probably will be again. Parcells and Spurrier have been quoted as saying the same thing.

People jump on Rush because he has proven to be a unabashed hypocrite. Was he telling the truth when he said drug addicts should go to jail? :rolleyes:

McNabb was never anything more than a mediocre quarterback. The way offenses run today, to complete 57% of your passes, average under 6.0 yards an attempt, and throw for just 3,200 yards is a joke. He wins because his team has always had a very good defense, and now that key players like Brian Dawkins are injured, and a guy like Hugh Douglas lost to free agency, he's shown his true colors. And if you're going to use something an incompetent, last place coach, whose team's quarterback position is relevant to what the Yankees' left field situation was a few years back, for your argument you might as well quit while you're ahead.

Rich
11-03-03, 04:42 PM

McNabb was never anything more than a mediocre quarterback. The way offenses run today, to complete 57% of your passes, average under 6.0 yards an attempt, and throw for just 3,200 yards is a joke. He wins because his team has always had a very good defense, and now that key players like Brian Dawkins are injured, and a guy like Hugh Douglas lost to free agency, he's shown his true colors. And if you're going to use something an incompetent, last place coach, whose team's quarterback position is relevant to what the Yankees' left field situation was a few years back, for your argument you might as well quit while you're ahead.

Parcells is a last place coach? :lol: Whatever, dude.

John Flaherty
11-03-03, 09:35 PM

Parcells is a last place coach? :lol: Whatever, dude.

Spurrier is.

Rich
11-03-03, 10:20 PM

Spurrier is.

Are you seriously trying to argue that because Spurrier made the dumb mistake of taking the meddling Dan Snyder's money, his stellar career as a head coach at the Univ. of Florida is inoperable?

Mickey
01-11-04, 11:48 PM

Yup......sure is overrated.;) 21 for 39..248 yds. passing, 2TD's...a crucial 4th and 26. Wayyyyyyyyyy overrated.:P

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-12-04, 12:15 AM

Yup......sure is overrated.;) 21 for 39..248 yds. passing, 2TD's...a crucial 4th and 26. Wayyyyyyyyyy overrated.:P

He WAS pretty awful in the first quarter. As I was rooting for the Cheeseheads to lose (NOT the Eagles to win, but the Cheeseheads to lose... which I think happened, what with the 4th & 26 and the really horribly thrown pick) both because I hate them and because I couldn't take one more second of my boyfriend's "Packers packers packers. Magic magic magic destiny destiny magic" crap.

That said, the play when he evaded 2 tacklers then bootlegged out to throw for a TD in the front corner of the endzone was pretty amazing... BUT THAT'S ALL THE CREDIT MC NABB WILL EVER GET FROM ME. I felt so wrong and dirty having to cheer when they won. :barf: :barf:

Back to my old Eagle-hating self... McNabb IS overrated, Carolina's gonna EXPOSE him next week, and he shouldn't even be in the pro bowl this year. However, the NFC shouldn't even send a single QB to the pro bowl this year at all... none of them held a candle to half the guys in the AFC this season.

uconnhoopz123
01-12-04, 06:07 AM

Yup......sure is overrated.;) 21 for 39..248 yds. passing, 2TD's...a crucial 4th and 26. Wayyyyyyyyyy overrated.:P you gotta remember he had 105 yards on 9 carries rushing

ACPS
01-12-04, 07:51 AM
Should be interesting to see how Rush spins this. "The defense won that game! That black QB had nothing to do with it!"

RIyankee
01-16-04, 01:52 PM
It's amazing that I hear so many people, who aren't big on football, are taking an interest in the Eagles/Panthers NFC Championship game b/c they view it as McNabb vs. Rush.

The left wants Philly to win to add fuel to the argument against Rush.

In contrast, the right wants Carolina to win so Rush doesn't look bad and that McNabb will.

BTW IMO I do think that sportswriters have a favorable bias for "running/mobile" QBs. Kordell had been overrated for years. Vick has played a total of 28 games and has a career completion% of a pathetic 52.2 yet he stars in Nike ads and is all but having a bust made of him for Canton. Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline.com said McNabb was overrated at the beginning of the year. I felt he was overrated as well. But I give McNabb credit, he has worked hard this season at staying in the pocket. He needs to stop taking unnecessary risks in playoff games or he'll have to face his critics again.

DaBoys4LifeNYY35
01-16-04, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by RIyankee

BTW IMO I do think that sportswriters have a favorable bias for "running/mobile" QBs. Kordell had been overrated for years. Vick has played a total of 28 games and has a career completion% of a pathetic 52.2 yet he stars in Nike ads and is all but having a bust made of him for Canton. Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline.com said McNabb was overrated at the beginning of the year. I felt he was overrated as well. But I give McNabb credit, he has worked hard this season at staying in the pocket. He needs to stop taking unnecessary risks in playoff games or he'll have to face his critics again.

I despise running-QBs... mobile QBs (Elway, Young, the more mature McNair) are fine, but "running QBs"? Stay in the freakin pocket and pass the ball... it's what they pay you for. And I'm not blind to the fact that many consider my Quincy a running QB, but if you watched him, he's really not. He throws well when given time in the pocket as well as when bootlegging to the right. Disaster strikes when he goes all crazy and starts running, especially because he's not even that fast or at all shifty in his moves. Vince Young, part-time QB of my 'Horns (Mock is their QB when they want to pass... infallibly. I don't know how they only lost 2 games with such predictability), drives me insane with the crap he pulls. I feel bad for the wideouts on teams whose QBs take off running at the first sign of pressure.

A full-on "running QB" has yet to win a Super Bowl (kudos to the o-lines who make this possible). It's not going to change anytime soon. Until it does all these running QBs don't deserve all the hype they get. It's an overrated "quality" until someone proves he can win the big one that way.