PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the new software!! (finally!)

Jim F.
02-11-01, 09:55 PM
Hello everyone -

This new version of the software is LOADED with new features, I think you'll love them! For organizational sake, if you have any issues whatsoever, please feel free to start a new thread for ANY problem that you may be having, no matter how small it may be. Otherwise feel free to comment here :).

I played a small roll in the development of this software, so this site gets to be a guinea pig. This software hasn't been released to the public yet, we're among one of the first dozen sites to be running this state of the are software. So ANY problems that you are having will not only help me, but the future of this software package as well.

Here are some things that I suggest you do right away...

Most of your preferences came over, but visit your profile, which is now your "User Control Panel", and confirm the following new options (Under Edit Options):

Browse board with cookies?
As long as you feel comfortable using cookies, I recommend checking Yes in this option, for no other reason than it takes away the "s=oinoiwnvinwpinvpi" part of the URL that you see in your browser's address bar right now. :)

Enable Private Messaging?
It is up to you if you'd like to use Private Messaging; it is a simple way to interact with your fellow forumers, without the obtrusiveness of email.

Send you an email when you receive a Private Message?
If you choose to accept Private Messages, you can elect to receive an email upon receipt of new message.

Pop up a box when you receive a Private Message?
If you like, you can elect to see a warning window pop up if you get a new provate message while you're browsing the forums.

Default Posts per Thread:
You can now choose how many posts you see per page of a thread! :)

Start of the week
This is for the calendar function - more to come on that later...

Show user's signatures in their posts?
You can elect not to see other people's signatures - this will make the pages load quicker.

Custom Avatar's Under Your User Name
Click here (http://forums.bronx-bombers.com/misc.php?s=&action=showavatars) for more information on Avatars.

You can upload an avatar from your computer, or you can provide a URL of the avatar you'd like to use. There are size restrictions on the avatars so choose carefully :).

Birthdate
Under "Edit Profile", there is a box where you can specify your birthday, and it will show up on the calendar - more to come on the calendar feature :).

Buddy List
With the new software, under "My vB Home", you can specify users that you are "buddies" with, so you know if they're online.

Ignore Lists
You can specify users that you'd like to ignore, and you'll never see another post from them ever again :).

Thread Rating
You can now rate a thread on a scale of 1 - 5.

Forum Sorting
You can sort a forum by Last Post, Thread Title, Thread Starter, Amount of Replies, Amount of Views, and by Rating.

Forum Subscriptions
New threads in forums that you subscribe to will be made available for easy access in your User Control Panel.

Thread Subscriptions
You can now subscribe to threads that you are interested in; this is similar to bookmarking a site with your browser.

Offensive Post Reporting
You can notify me (or any of the moderators) of a offensive post with the click of a button.

Mark All Forums Read
Have you ever been visiting here, and read all the posts in all the forums, yet the new post indicators are still activated? Now you can turn them off with a click of your mouse.

Enhanced Search
The search feature in this new version is even BETTER than the last one. Give it a shot!

Spell Check
For all those bad spellers, now you can spellcheck all your posts! :)

Image Upload
No more "honesty.com" - you can now upload any image from you computer, and have it display in your post.

Please Note: Images are restricted to a file size of 120KB, maximum dimesions of 1100 pixels wide and 800 pixels high, and the following file types: gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg.

Polls
You can now post polls - to post a poll, act as if you're posting a regular thread, but follow the directions for posting polls.

And there are many more enhancements on the backend that will make this software more stable, faster, and more enjoyable for everyone!

Please, say WHATEVER is on your mind!!! I beg you!!

Enjoy!

-jim

PS: There are still a few features that I have to re-add, such as the stats tag, and things of that nature. These things will get taken care of shortly :).

gsars5
02-11-01, 10:37 PM
Jim, I've noticed that on the 'search results'page it doesn't fit I have to scroll over, this only happens on that page so far. I could change the text size but it makes everything else too small. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

Greg

ritaylnil
02-11-01, 11:14 PM
Jim, times are off on a post I just looked at (the Who A-Z post)

Rita

Jim F.
02-11-01, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by ritaylnil
Jim, times are off on a post I just looked at (the Who A-Z post)

Rita

Off how? Too fast, too slow? All posts? Some posts? Posts from before upgrade? Posts made after upgrade?

The more info I have, the easier I can troubleshoot it. For the record, I don't notice any time discrepencies. In your profile, make sure you have the proper time zone designated - it should be -5:00 GMT.

-jim

seahorse
02-11-01, 11:42 PM
Fonts - I tried to use Book Antiqua. it didn't take.

ritaylnil
02-11-01, 11:44 PM
Jim, I feel like a dope...I cant even find anywhere in my profile that mentions time zone...i just noticed that posts on The Who all are saying like 3 am on 2/12/01 or thereabouts!

Rita

P.S. I'm not thrilled with the new software, at all...print seems to small and you cant click on people to see their profile

MrJack
02-11-01, 11:48 PM
Everything looks great Jim, but can I offer one observation??
In the Forum Jump thingy, when I click to get the drop down menu the text is way too small for my old tired eyes.

gsars5
02-11-01, 11:54 PM
I still can't figure out how to upload a picture. I didn't see it in the f.a.q either, help, please...:(

Jim F.
02-12-01, 12:14 AM
Thanks for your feedback everyone :)!!

If you could do me a huge favor, and start a new thread if you've come across a problem? It would be a lot easier for me to keep track of things that way :).

-jim

Jim F.
02-12-01, 12:24 AM
Okay, I've attempted to get everyone's questions and suggestions acknowledged here...

Jim, I feel like a dope...I cant even find anywhere in my profile that mentions time zone...i just noticed that posts on The Who all are saying like 3 am on 2/12/01 or thereabouts!
Click on the "Profile" button at the top of all the pages, and then click on "Edit Options"; or just click here: http://forums.bronx-bombers.com/member.php?s=&action=editoptions

Look for the section that says "Time offset", it's towards the bottom.

I'm not thrilled with the new software, at all...print seems to small and you cant click on people to see their profile
Which print in particular? In the posts?

As far as profiles, you can always click on the "Profile" button that's with their post, but I was planning on linking the user name again anyway, I just hadn't gotten there yet :).

Originally posted by MrJack
In the Forum Jump thingy, when I click to get the drop down menu the text is way too small for my old tired eyes.

Done.

Originally posted by gsars5
I still can't figure out how to upload a picture. I didn't see it in the f.a.q either, help, please...:(
Yeah, for some reason it doesn't work. Hopefully by tomorrow it will be up and running. Sorry about that :).

Again, thanks for your feedback. The more you tell me you don't like, the more I can fix it to suit your needs. Don't be afraid to say anything!

-jim

MrJack
02-12-01, 01:04 AM
Hey Jim, what took so long??? Just kidding :)
Text in the Forum Jump thingy is just right......On behalf of those of us born in the dark ages, I thank you.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jim F.
02-12-01, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by gsars5
Jim, I've noticed that on the 'search results'page it doesn't fit I have to scroll over, this only happens on that page so far. I could change the text size but it makes everything else too small. Let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks

Greg

Oh yeah, I fixed this a while ago, but forgot to thank you for bringing that to my attention :).

Let me know what you think of it now.

-jim

JeanC
02-12-01, 03:21 AM
Jim -

Please explain "Sticky" ?!!! :confused:

(finally I get to use that smiley in here!)

CJM
02-17-01, 07:15 PM
I like the fact that it doesn't announce that you have edited a post.

Sometimes you just misspell a word.

Jim F.
02-17-01, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by CJM
I like the fact that it doesn't announce that you have edited a post.

Sometimes you just misspell a word.

:)

You have an hour after you post to edit your message "announcement free" :). After that it displays a *small* message all the way at the bottom of your post, after your signature.

-jim

CJM
02-17-01, 07:43 PM
Ahhhh,no fair!

:lol:

Yanks23fan
02-22-01, 05:17 PM
Jim-

I have to say that I am impressed with the way your site has turned out. I like what you did here since you made some changes. It is well organized and thought out.

I have to admit though that I was a little concerned in the begining that I would not be able to find my way around because of the changes that were made to your site recently. I did not know if my login name and password would still work or would I have to register again.

Jim F.
02-22-01, 07:46 PM
Melanie, I'm glad you like the changes :). Unless I absolutely had too, I would never change anything that would cause members to have to re-register.

The software is the same kind, it's just a new version that adds many more features. So I knew the changes wouldn't be too drastic. :)

-jim