PDA

View Full Version : Herman Edwards Named Jets Head Coach

MrJack
01-18-01, 05:46 PM
Whaddaya think Jets Fans??

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0114/1015045.html

Thursday, January 18
Bucs assistant lands Jets job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Associated Press

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Herman Edwards made his mark as a player in one game against the New York Giants. Now he has a chance to pull off another Miracle of the Meadowlands as coach of the New York Jets.

Herman Edwards is flanked by Jets GM Terry Bradway, left, and owner Robert Woody Johnson.

Until he was hired Thursday to replace Al Groh, Edwards was best known for returning Joe Pisarcik's fumble 26 yards for the winning touchdown in the Philadelphia Eagles' 19-17 win over the Giants in 1978. The play, with 31 seconds left in the game, was dubbed the Miracle of the Meadowlands.

"At one time, I thought Giants Stadium held about 70-something thousand," Edwards said during his news conference at the Jets complex at Hofstra University, "but the longer this thing goes the more people that have been at that football game ... every time I talk to someone, 'Hey, I was there!' "

Edwards also noted the significance of the play.

"We were floundering that year, losing games at the end and all of a sudden that play comes about," Edwards said. "There's something about plays like that turning around your fortunes. From that point on we had a four-year playoff run. A play like that makes players believe they can win."

And that will be Edwards' job with the Jets, although he said former coach and director of player operations Bill Parcells left a solid structure.

"These guys know how to win," Edwards said. "This organization is strong, and my task is to keep it going. Two years ago, they knew they needed one more win to get to the Super Bowl. They fell a little short of the playoffs last year, but with one or two wins at the end maybe I'm not up here talking to you."

It has been a tumultuous two months for the Jets, who dropped their final three games to blow a playoff berth. Groh resigned on Dec. 30 to become the coach at Virginia, his alma mater. Then Parcells resigned. The Jets were back to their dysfunctional selves, just like earlier last year when Parcells stepped down as coach, Bill Belichick took over for a day and resigned and Groh was promoted.

But Johnson went out and hired Terry Bradway from the Kansas City Chiefs as his general manager, and the two drew up a list of four candidates -- Edwards, Jacksonville defensive coordinator Dom Capers, Buffalo defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell and Jets assistant Maurice Carthon.

Edwards becomes the third active black head coach in the NFL and the sixth overall. The other current black head coaches are Minnesota's Dennis Green and Tampa Bay's Tony Dungy. Edwards is the first black head coach of a pro football team in New York.

Johnson noted the significance of the hiring, but said, "That really didn't come into play. We were simply looking for a coach who could get us where we want to go."

Said Edwards: "I don't want to use that as a crutch. I want to say that I got hired because I was qualified to get hired. I worked my way up the ranks like any good solider. I did it without stepping on people, without talking about people, without bellyaching it wasn't my turn.

"I live by this: Work hard and when it's your time, it's your time. I'm an Afro-American and if I didn't get my show, I want to make sure that I dotted all the i's so when the next guy came along he's got a better chance."

Edwards is considered one of the brightest assistants in the game. He spent the past five seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as Tony Dungy's assistant head coach/defensive backs. Before that, he worked with the Chiefs under Marty Schottenheimer, and also played 10 seasons -- nine for the Eagles -- from 1977 through 1985.

Even though Bradway knew Edwards from their years with the Chiefs, the GM was convinced he had the right man after a daylong interview earlier in the week.

"He was even more impressive then I advertised," Bradway said. "He's the best man to lead the Jets on the path to the world's championship. He has great respect not only for the game, but for people. His experience as a player, personnel evaluator, a position coach and an assistant head coach has prepared him for the challenges that lie ahead."

Tampa Bay players spoke highly of Edwards.

"Herm has got everything. He's a detail guy," Bucs Pro Bowl safety John Lynch said. "He's as organized and meticulous as anyone you'll ever find. He demands excellence from his players, but knows how to have fun, too."

Added cornerback Ronde Barber: "They've got someone who's not going to give up on them regardless of what happens. He refuses to lose. He refuses to be mediocre. He does not want to fail, and he pushes that on his players."

Edwards has yet to finalize any staff decisions. He said he planned to meet shortly with current Jets assistants, including Carthon, who could end up as offensive coordinator.

He has not evaluated the players but said Vinny Testaverde is his No. 1 quarterback, and also had high praise for Chad Pennington, who along with Ray Lucas are the backups.

Speaking of quarterbacks, Edwards added a kicker to his fumble return. Noting that Pisarcik ended up with the Eagles the next season as a backup, Edwards continued: "And the poor guy, he walks into the locker room and the first thing that they do is throw the ball on the floor and Bill Bergey says, "Play it again, Joe.' "

Ansky39
01-18-01, 05:57 PM
my condolences...

Jim F.
01-18-01, 07:11 PM
We're back on track baby!

Well, not totally back on track until we get a decent WR, but close enough!

-jim

patrick.o
01-18-01, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Jim F.
until we get a decent WR

Dude!!!! Wayne Chrebet can play on my team any day.

allybear
01-19-01, 09:19 AM
Well, at least we have a head coach, and he does have good luck in the Meadowlands, ha ha! ;)

As regards the WR situation, I love the little flashlight, but he can't do it all alone, and Dedric Ward is no Keyshawn (ooh, it hurts to say that!) Perhaps Coles can step up next year - he was a heckuva college player and would have gone higher in the draft if he didn't get involved in that whole "shopping spree" mess with Warrick, and end up getting the majority of the blame because no one wanted to suspend the superstar. He showed flashes this year, so hopefully he'll stay out of trouble and work hard during the offseason, and who knows?!?

MrJack
01-19-01, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by allybear
he was a heckuva college player and would have gone higher in the draft if he didn't get involved in that whole "shopping spree" mess with Warrick

2000 was a helluva year here in sunny Florida...The words "counting" and "shopping" will never be viewed the same way again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MrJack
01-20-01, 08:56 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/20623.htm

NO BALONEY: HERM'S THE REAL DEAL
Saturday,January 20,2001

HONEST EDWARDS: New Jets coach Herman Ed´wards will inject honesty into relationship with fans and media, former teammate Ron Jaworski and former coach Dick Vermeil told The Post’s Mark Cannizzaro. - N.Y. Post: Mary McLoughlin

HERMAN Edwards can be a star in this town.
The Jets' new head coach has yet to sign a free agent, cut a player, conduct a draft, choose a starting lineup, put together a game plan, manage the clock, run a two-minute drill or maneuver his way through a prickly Monday press conference after a difficult Sunday loss.

So certainly the jury is out on Edwards, as it would be for any new head coach.

But speaking to some of the most prominent, knowledgeable, observant and respected people in the game, the signs point pretty strongly toward Edwards being a can't-miss for the Jets.

Put that together with Edwards' high-energy personality and throw a few wins in there to start the season and this guy has the potential to own New York and its surrounding pockets of Jets Nation.

He has the potential to have Jets fans eating out of the palms of his hands.

No disrespect intended to Bill Parcells and the almighty, tight-lipped, rule-by-paranoia style of coaching and managing a football team he evolved into over the years, but it was difficult for Jets fans and followers to relate to that kind of militant atmosphere.

When Parcells won he was a sort of dictatorial hero. Once a people's choice kind of guy when he was with the Giants, Parcells became an ivory tower leader by the time he returned to New York.

If Edwards wins with his honest, emotion-on-his-sleeve style - and he's got a chance to do so right away with this team - he'll be revered as a people's hero, because he's an honest-to-goodness people person who happens to come with a strong football resume.

"He has a personality that I think will play very well in New York," ESPN's Ron Jaworski, a former teammate of Edwards when they were with the Eagles, told The Post yesterday. "People want a guy that's dynamic. Herman is dynamic.

"Dom Capers [another candidate for the Jet job] is a tremendous football coach, but his personality wouldn't have fit in New York. Herm is the kind of guy New Yorkers are really going to enjoy. What you see is what you get.

"His personality is right on his sleeve. You'll know when he's angry and you'll know when he's happy. That's the beauty of Herman Edwards. The big thing Herm has always had is the ability to relate to people. Some people, some players, they don't get it. He got it. Some people never get it. Herm is one of those guys who always had it."

Bank on the ears of every Jets player being perked with interest the first time Edwards stands before them.

Dick Vermeil, the defending Super Bowl champion coach and newly-hired coach of the Kansas City Chiefs was asked this yesterday: "What are people going to be enamored by with Herman Edwards?"

"He'll give it everything he's got . . . and then just a little more," Vermeil told The Post. "People will respect him and care for him, because he will respect them and care for them."

How close are Edwards and Vermeil, his coach of six years in Philadelphia?

"If you go back and look at film of the Rams-Tampa Bay [NFC] Championship Game [last January], when it's all over, the first two people that met at midfield were Herman Edwards and Dick Vermeil," Vermeil said.

Edwards, of course, was the Buccaneers' assistant head coach in charge of defensive backs before being hired by the Jets as their new head coach.

Edwards on Thursday talked about life being "a wheel."

Check this out for full-circle: Edwards' Jets will play a home game against Vermeil's Chiefs this coming season at Giants Stadium.

"He respects age," Vermeil quipped. "He'll take it easy on me."

Vermeil, who spoke with Edwards yesterday, said he still thinks of Edwards as "a kid," because he coached him.

"He was very special then and has never stopped being very special," Vermeil said. "What you see is what you get; what you hear is what he is. He's not going to fill you full of baloney."

New York doesn't tolerate baloney. New York respects honesty. Herman Edwards, by all accounts, is honest and trustworthy. Now, of course, he needs to put a strong staff of assistants together and begin winning football games.

"Herm was always one of those guys who was the consummate team guy," Jaworski said. "He was an overachiever as a player. He was never the quickest, never the fastest, never the strongest, never the smartest. But no one was going to outwork him. He made himself a player. And I think he's going to make himself a fine head coach."

Dan Henning, the Jets' outgoing offensive coordinator, coached Edwards in Atlanta for a year and said yesterday that he's always held him in high regard.

"There's no reason why he shouldn't work out well, because he's enthusiastic, upbeat and has a lot of leadership qualities," Henning said.

As a New York native, Henning was asked if he thinks Edwards can become a star here. "The way he handles himself?" Henning said. "Absolutely."

Jim F.
01-20-01, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by patrick.o
Dude!!!! Wayne Chrebet can play on my team any day.

Pat, I love Wayne Chrebet, but a 5'9" 175lb white guy does not an offense make. (No offense to other 5'9" 175lb white guys like myself ;)). The lack of a speedy, agile, tall wide receiver played a huge factor in the Jets lackluster offense last year.

-jim

allybear
01-20-01, 02:26 PM
Speaking of Chrebet, I loved what he said about Edwards. He spoke to him for the first time in his car and by the end of the convo, he wanted to get out the car and start hitting people! Now that's an inspirational coach!!

MrJack
01-20-01, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by allybear
he wanted to get out the car and start hitting people!

That's how I feel driving around Central Florida dodging all the tourists. :lol: :lol: :lol:

allybear
01-22-01, 08:54 PM
That's how I felt driving to work today, I started a new job on Long Island and I never had to drive to work before. It took me 40 minutes to make a 15-minute drive - gee, I love rush hour!