PDA

View Full Version : It was only a matter of time . . .

Saxmania
01-04-03, 05:23 PM
And what an offseason it's been. The Yankees have a giant lizard playing in the outfield, someone from the English county of Kent has signed for the Astros, and George Steinbrenner has threatened to turn into the Grinch if the luxury tax isn't repealed.

At least, that's what's reached me over on this side of the Atlantic.

Given the fact that the Yankees appear to be happy with merely three rotations full of starters, perhaps it's time to start pondering the new fantasy season. I realise that we're nearly three months from Opening Day, but there's plenty to get done, and last year there was something of a rush in the last few days. At any rate, talking only ever harmed a very few people. Here's a few things to ponder:

1) We're going to need to get sign-ups going and elect a commissioner. I don't know at what stage this happens - would people prefer to determine the nature of the league before throwing it open, or would it be better to let the owners decide? On the same lines: how many owners? (How many leagues?) Then scheduling, division sizes, etc. etc. . . .

2) Yahoo last year got the job done, especially considering that they didn't charge us, but are there better providers out there? I never found the option for e-mailed daily round-ups, for instance - was there one? Is there a site that includes AAA and lower players? Is there one that will let the commissioner set up a league in any way s/he likes?

3) Rules changes. I have some ideas in this regard, but I'm sure others will contest them. Should starters lose points if they lose a start? Are strikeouts really worth twice as much as normal outs? Similarly, roster sizes and so on might be subject to discussion. A keeper league?

Let's hear your thoughts. Heck, I'm on a three-day weekend here.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

joltinjo
01-04-03, 05:58 PM
Hello Saxman!

You be the boss! You did a great job last year.We want you back again.

I ain't fussy about rules. Whatever is in our best interest... is okay with me. It was a lot of fun---even tho I was last, I learned alot.
Sooooooo,

LETS DRAFT

Joltinjo

YanksRockMan
01-05-03, 10:32 PM
im still shaky in coming back next year, but if somebody will sponsor me with the allotted money, i will definitely be in! :gulp: :gulp:

Bozidar
01-06-03, 08:30 AM
is it me, or are Steinbrenner and Cashman stealing my idea?

Yanksagain
01-07-03, 03:38 PM
Count me in for this year. I'll answer a couple of your questions/concerns later this week (regarding Yahoo leagues, etc.).

Saxmania
01-07-03, 04:38 PM
If everyone's cool with it, I'll publish a blueprint for the league sometime this week to kick the debate off. Then hopefully we can have some kind of consensus before Spring Training begins. Last year we had aobut 50 people express interest in January, but struggled to find 16 to fill the league by March. If we lay down the ground rules before throwing the doors open, perhaps we won't get so many TIME-WASTERS- I mean, undecideds. Heh.

Note: I'm not trying to suggest that I'm here to tell you what's what - just thought I'd throw out some ideas to be considered. If someone else thinks they should be conning the ship, then by all means shout out, because no-one's in charge at the moment.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
01-07-03, 06:08 PM
sounds good, Sassy.. let 'er rip..

Hitman23
01-21-03, 02:23 PM
I'm in, too! Whatever you all decide are the rules I'm ok, this is my first time so I have nothing to contribute.

Sax I sent ya a PM just in case, not sure how to officially sign up.

Steve

patrick.o
01-24-03, 07:03 PM
I definitely want in this year. I was burnt out from school so I took the semester off, which means I'll have plenty of time to commit to kicking all your asses!

Bozidar
01-24-03, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by patrick.o
I definitely want in this year. I was burnt out from school so I took the semester off, which means I'll have plenty of time to commit to kicking all your asses! excellent :) I look forward to humilating you this year, along with the rest of the bozos, and those i let beat me last year..

YanksRockMan
01-24-03, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Bozidar
excellent :) I look forward to humilating you this year, along with the rest of the bozos, and those i let beat me last year..
if i get in....yea...you'll probably humiliate me :(

Bozidar
01-24-03, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by YanksRockMan
if i get in....yea...you'll probably humiliate me :( :lol:

come on pete, don't sell yourself short. You don't need ME to do that!! ;) :D :lol:

Saxmania
01-25-03, 05:03 AM
You know, when Boz starts talking smack, the new fantasy season can't be far away.

My plan at the moment (hey, a plan!):

1st February: Post a sign-up thread on this forum, and simultaneously post a note in the "Just Conversation" forum to get some attention.

15th February: Close sign-ups and begin voting on issues for the league (e.g. contentious rules; commissioner). First 18 sign-ups, if we get that many, are in the NYYFans.com league. The remaining sign-ups can be included in a second league if there are enough.

1st March: Determine final league status. Commissioner devises schedule, registers Yahoo site of league and notifies draft date.

In the meantime, we should continue debating the league format, and try to get other people interested, including those from last year who dropped out/expressed interest. I'm at work today (save your tears), so this post may not make any sense - I'm not really awake before noon on a Saturday.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

YanksRockMan
01-25-03, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Bozidar
:lol:

come on pete, don't sell yourself short. You don't need ME to do that!! ;) :D :lol:
on another hand...maybe not ;) :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: