View Full Version : AZ Republic: If Schilling wants to leave, deal him now

Carissa
12-11-02, 11:00 AM
Anyone think this will happen?

If Schilling wants to leave, deal him now
The Arizona Republic
Dec. 11, 2002 12:00 AM
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/1211gomez1211.html

Curt Schilling has been dropping not-so-subtle hints that he would gladly return to Philadelphia. What kind of hints?

Informing Phillies manager Larry Bowa that he would waive his no-trade clause if it meant returning to Philadelphia.

And telling a Philadelphia radio audience last week: "There are certainly scenarios I can envision them (the Diamondbacks) trading me."

It won't happen this offseason, with the Diamondbacks still fancying themselves as pennant contenders, but if their fortunes take a sudden nose dive, don't put it past Schilling to make it happen.

The Diamondbacks, of course, have a say in this matter, and they're in no rush to trade their second-most valuable pitcher, but it's an idea they should seriously consider while Schilling's value is at its peak, instead of later, when it could come down considerably.

"I know one thing. I have him under contract," said Jerry Colangelo, Diamondbacks managing general partner. He said Schilling had not come to him with any concerns. "If any player is unhappy and expresses that to me personally, that's a whole different story. Most often, we'll accommodate any player."

Most power pitchers - Randy Johnson and Nolan Ryan excluded - drop off in their late 30s. Schilling turned 36 a few weeks ago, and there were troubling signs late last season - a 2-3 record with a 5.56 ERA over the final six weeks.

He did make amends in his lone postseason start, allowing one run over seven innings in a 2-1 loss to St. Louis. But now, with the Phillies seemingly on the upswing, he's planting the seeds to get out of the desert and return to Philadelphia, where he still owns a home in the suburbs, has several business interests and could again move his family closer to wife Shonda's parents.

It's a sure bet that Schilling is excited about what the Phillies have done in recent weeks, signing slugger Jim Thome and third baseman David Bell, and what will happen in 2004, when they move into their new ballpark.

These are the types of moves Schilling advocated for years when he was with the Phillies.

He also sees how perennial power Atlanta is taking a step backward, how the Mets remain fractured and how the National League East is ripe for the Phillies' taking.

He hears how management wants a veteran No. 1 starter to anchor the staff and mentor the younger pitchers.

And that's a role he'll never have in Phoenix.

It's fairly well known throughout the Diamondbacks clubhouse that Schilling is bothered to no end that he has had the two greatest seasons of his career and still hasn't been able to unseat Johnson as the staff's ace.

Schilling, always the manipulator, has worked this angle before. He belly-ached his way out of Philadelphia in 2000 and wound up exactly where he wanted, with the Diamondbacks and with a chance to win the World Series.

He knows what to say to whom and how to act when he wants things a certain way, which could turn this into a drawn-out soap opera.

The Diamondbacks might be better off acting now, before it gets ugly.

There's smoke here. The only question is whether it will turn to fire.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-11-02, 12:37 PM
The D-Backs' success hinges on having those two great starters, so I really can't imagine them trading Schilling unless they're ready to throw in the towel and rebuild.

DJeter1287
12-11-02, 02:25 PM
The D-backs success has been a result of their 1 and 2 starters, Johnson and Schilling respectively. Without Schilling, it will only be one dominant starter, therefore weakening the team. It would be a mistake on the part of the Diamondbacks to trade him.

ojo
12-11-02, 03:11 PM
what a freakin baby. you can't find me another article hightlighting what makes me ILL about today's athlete.

WAAAH WAAAH WAAH i'm going to CRY til i get what i want.

uh, mr hired gun you got what you wanted in az now shut up and play out your contract.

Jersey Yankee
12-11-02, 03:45 PM
If, according to the article, he'd belly-ached his way out of Philly, why does he want to return now? Would it be the financial rewards, or the chance to have Thome be on his left shoulder every 5th day?

He knew what he was doing when he left. Like Rolen, he wanted out, so why come back now? The new stadium isn't ready until '04, I believe, and his current team made the playoffs, like Rolen's, unlike the Phillies.

While I admire Colangelo's saying he'd work w/players who were uncofortable w/their contract, I admire even more those who'd live up to a contract agreement which they'd inked on the dotted line.

YanksRockMan
12-12-02, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
If, according to the article, he'd belly-ached his way out of Philly, why does he want to return now? Would it be the financial rewards, or the chance to have Thome be on his left shoulder every 5th day?

He knew what he was doing when he left. Like Rolen, he wanted out, so why come back now? The new stadium isn't ready until '04, I believe, and his current team made the playoffs, like Rolen's, unlike the Phillies.

While I admire Colangelo's saying he'd work w/players who were uncofortable w/their contract, I admire even more those who'd live up to a contract agreement which they'd inked on the dotted line.
unlike rolen, he loved the fans of philadelphia

back then, in 2000, when he left, it was because he didn't see them having success then, so he requested a trade, which would help the phillies out, which basically was his mission. Schilling is still a fan favorite in Philadelphia.

He also wants the opportunity to be #1 and mentor the younger pitchers, like Randy Wolf, Brett Myers, and Brandon Duckworth..

Jersey Yankee
12-12-02, 04:17 PM
I thought that w/Rolen, it was due to the team's unwillingness to try winning a championship, according to his own perception. I guess that w/his turning down the 10-yr/$140M deal, the fans then turned against him. Where'd you get the impression that he didn't like Philly fans?

If Curt can give back to the younger pitchers, just as Clemens gave him good advice years ago, and Roger watched Ryan years before that.

YanksRockMan
12-12-02, 05:48 PM
I thought that w/Rolen, it was due to the team's unwillingness to try winning a championship, according to his own perception. I guess that w/his turning down the 10-yr/$140M deal, the fans then turned against him. Where'd you get the impression that he didn't like Philly fans?

If Curt can give back to the younger pitchers, just as Clemens gave him good advice years ago, and Roger watched Ryan years before that.
rolen didnt respond to a curtain call...

Jersey Yankee
12-12-02, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by YanksRockMan
rolen didnt respond to a curtain call... Does Bonds? Not responding could simply mean he's very introverted, or that he only cares about the performance, not the show.

Hey, I remember that jazz master Miles Davis would turn his back to the audience when they'd paid good money, never looking at the crowd. People complained nonstop about this, but he felt he was there just to do the show, not to give a shop within the show.

Most people like a curtain call, but some are just there to do the job then go home.

YanksRockMan
12-12-02, 06:14 PM
Does Bonds? Not responding could simply mean he's very introverted, or that he only cares about the performance, not the show.

Hey, I remember that jazz master Miles Davis would turn his back to the audience when they'd paid good money, never looking at the crowd. People complained nonstop about this, but he felt he was there just to do the show, not to give a shop within the show.

Most people like a curtain call, but some are just there to do the job then go home.
he also inadvertently said that he wasn't fond of the philly fans, but it was indirect...

YanksRockMan
12-12-02, 06:16 PM
Does Bonds? Not responding could simply mean he's very introverted, or that he only cares about the performance, not the show.

he likes curtain calls..but refused to get it from philly..

the first day when he was a card...when the fans there wanted a curtain call, he made their wish by coming out

Jersey Yankee
12-12-02, 06:26 PM
YRM, I hadn't followed Rolen enough to know this, but that would demonstrate your point, I believe. If Rolen played all his MLB time w/Phillies before June/July '02, I guess he came up through their farm system.

I have no idea why he didn't acknowledge them a little more. Was this recently, or throughout much of his career? I'm also wondering if he'd been determined to leave, despite his teammates' urging him to stay, so he'd pretty much removed himself emotionally from the Phillies' fans. Hence, no curtain call.

YanksRockMan
12-12-02, 06:34 PM
YRM, I hadn't followed Rolen enough to know this, but that would demonstrate your point, I believe. If Rolen played all his MLB time w/Phillies before June/July '02, I guess he came up through their farm system.

I have no idea why he didn't acknowledge them a little more. Was this recently, or throughout much of his career? I'm also wondering if he'd been determined to leave, despite his teammates' urging him to stay, so he'd pretty much removed himself emotionally from the Phillies' fans. Hence, no curtain call.
This happened to be fairly recent, maybe in the last year. Many of the teammates WERE urging him to stay, but when he everyday complained about being in Philly, he was called a clubhouse cancer by a Philly teammate, which, IMO, he was at that time.

I'mm not too sure how he could have said the phillies weren't winning, because in 2001, they finally progressed to having a winning record. In addition, Mike Schmidt, during spring training, urged Rolen to stay with the PHillies, which I guess, didn't work.

-pete

Jersey Yankee
12-12-02, 06:55 PM
Pete, even w/Mike Schmidt, an excellent 3Bman by most standards I've heard, that might not have convinced him. I'm not so sure what they'd have done had he stayed, since the money they're spending now on Thome, tried on Glavine, will likely spend on others, isn't all from some new standium in '04. It's money they'd earmarked for him, but he left on the table.

Had they spent this on him, I'm unsure if they'd have sprung f/Thome, Bells and whoever else comes there. Even with a <.500 season, I heard that he'd complained about management doing practically nothing to want to win. Perhaps it was moves by the GM which he didn't like, or at least moves not made. In either case, I'm pretty sure that had they gotten Thome, Bell, possibly Schilling, Rolen would've likely have re-signed w/the Phillies.

Brad

YanksRockMan
12-12-02, 07:07 PM
Pete, even w/Mike Schmidt, an excellent 3Bman by most standards I've heard, that might not have convinced him. I'm not so sure what they'd have done had he stayed, since the money they're spending now on Thome, tried on Glavine, will likely spend on others, isn't all from some new standium in '04. It's money they'd earmarked for him, but he left on the table.

Had they spent this on him, I'm unsure if they'd have sprung f/Thome, Bells and whoever else comes there. Even with a <.500 season, I heard that he'd complained about management doing practically nothing to want to win. Perhaps it was moves by the GM which he didn't like, or at least moves not made. In either case, I'm pretty sure that had they gotten Thome, Bell, possibly Schilling, Rolen would've likely have re-signed w/the Phillies.

Brad, most of the money will come from the city's funding for the ballpark. Their owner already stated that if they had resigned with the Phils, he wouldn't have gone after Thome.

-pete

Jersey Yankee
12-12-02, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by YanksRockMan
Brad, most of the money will come from the city's funding for the ballpark. Their owner already stated that if they had resigned with the Phils, he wouldn't have gone after Thome.

-pete OK, sounds good. I'll need to start reading some more baseball websites, or the Philly Inquirer, etc.

Bookthis1totheBirds
12-14-02, 12:48 PM
I dont envision this happening.I just think that Schilling is way too valuable to get rid of right now especially when he is pitching this well.