PDA

View Full Version : Is Lifeguarding a sport?

Butnud
11-10-00, 09:05 PM
Some say it is and some say it isn't. I think it is cuz

1. You have to be in shape
2. You have to plau like a team
3. Once you win, you feel good about what you have
accomplished.

Any comments??

caliyanksfan
11-11-00, 11:55 AM
i think the quesion of what IS a sport is a good one. does there have to be competetion? do there have to be teams? do you have to keep score? etc.....

i really don't know the answer. but i like the question.:)

~~jl

ps--i will say this, though: whether or not lifeguarding is an actual sport, there are poeple who make a 'sport' out of watching lifeguards ;).

penguin4
11-11-00, 04:28 PM
I don't think it is. I think to be a lifeguard you have to be an athlete (a good swimmer), but because there's no competition, you can't consider lifeguarding a "sport" per se. I suppose it can kind of the difference between playing hockey and being the referee; in both cases you have to know how skate well, but in one instance you aren't competing. (I know this isn't the best example, but it's the best one I can think of right now.)

gsars5
11-12-00, 09:54 AM
Lifeguarding is not a sport. I used to be a lifeguard and I can tell you it was in no way a sport. It is a job or a public service. It is the same as a cop or firefighter, you put your life in danger to help and protect others for ................ pay. There is no form of competition, unless maybe some lifeguards keep track of how many people they save in a year then they get a trophy, but that's kind of 'sick' don't you think. Sorry but no sport here, now Midget Tossing...that's a sport ;););)

Butnud
11-12-00, 06:59 PM
I really don't know the answer! I am currently a lifeguard! It isn't the kind of "sport" where you compete agaisnt other people but it is a 'sport' where you have to compete against time. A person might be dead within seconds and you have to do everything in your power, strength and mobility to make sure this person does not die in front you!