PDA

View Full Version : B-B.com HtH League Newsletter - Week 9

Saxmania
06-02-02, 05:02 PM
Heidi-ho, fellow owners. One change of hands at the top of a division, and some more jockeying for position. The DiMaggio Division appears pretty well split, while only three wins separate first from last in the Mantle Division. As for the Ruth Division, the pennant race can't get much closer right now. The scores:

Ruth Division (26-16)
Mantle Division (22-20)
DiMaggio Division (15-27)

Results - Week 9 May 26th

Junior’s Bashers 378 v 335 West Haven Yankees
Italian Ice 222 v 306 Lords of Flatbush
Michigan Wolverines 281 v 252 YankeesRule2002
Buckeye Bombers 259 v 265 Cunning Linguists
German Gold Gloves 288 v 295 YRMbombers2002
FP Balloon Knots 319 v 273 Babe’s Piano Playaz
Bambino’s Ghost 247 v 286 Bad News Bears

Team of the Week – Junior’s Bashers (378 points)
Luckiest Team of the Week –Cunning Linguists (won with 265 points)
Unluckiest Team of the Week – West Haven Yankees (lost with 335 points)
Matchup of the Week – Buckeye Bombers vs. Cunning Linguists (6 points’ difference in the result)

Standings

Ruth Division

Lords of Flatbush (7-1; 2402)
West Haven Yankees (7-2; 2847)
Cunning Linguists (6-3; 2051)
YankeesRule2002 (4-4; 2073)
YRMbombers2002 (2-6; 1957)

DiMaggio Division

Michigan Wolverines (7-2; 2668)
Junior’s Bashers (5-4; 2733)
German Gold Gloves (1-7; 2348)
Italian Ice (1-7; 1860)
Buckeye Bombers (1-7; 1792)

Mantle Division

Bad News Bears (6-2; 2137)
Saxmania’s Swingers (5-3; 2194)
Bambino’s Ghost (5-4; 2348)
Babe’s Piano Playaz (3-5; 2248)
FP Balloon Knots (3-6; 2375)

Match Reports

Colon dominates; Bashers overwhelm West Haven despite Glavine’s efforts

Bartolo Colon single-handedly carried Junior’s Bashers to victory over the former leaders of the Ruth Division, giving them three successive 300-plus points scores. Two complete game shutouts amounted to a total of 67 points from the Cleveland ace, who has become the leader of the Basher’s rotation after several outstanding performances. Support came from Ryan Klesko, with a powerful hitting display including four homers, while Tim Salmon swiped a few bases to push his numbers upwards. Three more wins also came from the rotation, with good outings from Freddy Garcia, Hideo Nomo, and Paul Byrd, each of whom picked up a win. The Bashers are beginning to put pressure on the Wolverines, and have established themselves as the serious challenger to Michigan for the pennant. Next week, the YRMbombers attempt to slow them down.

West Haven generated an impressive points total once more, but this week their 300-plus total was not sufficient to overcome the Bashers’ onslaught. Just one homerun from the infield, with no-one hitting more than a single long ball, partly undermined some solid pitching, with only Al Leiter and Jeff Suppan delivering disappointing results in the staff. Four saves for the bullpen, plus a couple of superlative starts from Tom Glavine, were the foundation of a high score for the Yankees once again, but the big bats – most notably Vladimir Guerrero and Fred McGriff – were unusually quiet this week. Having lost their Ruth Division lead to the Lords of Flatbush by half a game, West Haven most hope that Italian Ice will not produce a similar display of scoring in Week 10.

Hampton and Smoltz slip for Ice, Conine batters Lords through

Twenty hits and ten runs allowed devastated Italian Ice’s hope of recording an upset in Week 9 against the new Ruth Division leaders, those being the statistics of Rockies starter Mike Hampton. Although the Colorado ace picked up a win, the grand total of 1 point for the week will not impress his owner. John Smoltz’s career as a closer continued to be rocky, as the former starter allowed five runs in three innings of work, although he also picked up a save. The departure of Kevin K. Brown may or may not prove the fillip that the Ice need, but as of this date their rotation contains a hole. Hitting from Brian Jordan (9 RBIs) was a bright spot, but Javy Lopez , Bill Mueller, and Tino Martinez are not pulling their weight. West Haven are next week’s visitors.

The Lords reached the dizzy heights of first place in the Ruth Divison, with their sixth consecutive 290 points plus score. The Flatbu................es now own the record for longest winning streak in this year’s league at six games. This week’s hero was Baltimore hitter Jeff Conine, who went yard four times and drove in nine, while Mike Sweeney also contributed all-around hitting. Decent outings for Curt Schilling and Ramon Ortiz were closed out by the bullpen with five saves, nailing down a comfortable victory. Next week sees the clash of two division leaders, however, as the Lords meet Michigan in what could be a postseason preview, even at this early stage.

Pitching carries Wolverines past hard-hitting Rulers

Pitching beat hitting this week, as solid starts from Ruben Quevedo, Andy Ashby, and Matt Morris generated enough wins to defeat slugging from Jason Giambi and Aaron Boone. Despite Randy Johnson’s less than stellar outings, allowing seven runs in thirteen innings, the rotation picked up four wins. Home runs were mostly off the agenda, but four players topped six RBIs, and Richie Sexson gathered eight bases on balls. Keeping Ryan Jensen and his 14 ER on the bench may have won this match-up for the Wolverines, who now have to deal with the streaking Flatbu................es in Week 10.

Giambi hit four home runs, Boone three, and Gary Sheffield two, but that was it for a lineup looking a little top-heavy this week. Particularly anonymous were Ben Molina and Tony Womack, neither of whom drove in a run, while Carlos Lee and Bret Boone got on base just four times each all week. Tony Armas, Jr., sunk an otherwise stable rotation, lead by Rick Helling’s eight shutout innings, and Mark Buehlre’s impressive but futile start. If the Rulers can find a little more consistency in their hitting, they may yet challenge in the Ruth Division.

Linguists once again just too good, Thome’s power in vain for Buckeyes

New York Yankees powered the Linguists this week, with Bernie Williams reaching base sixteen times and driving in eight, while Mike Mussina picked up two wins despite not being at his best. Rondell White also contributed, with ten base hits, while all of the top four in the rotation found at least one win. With a pitching staff in which no pitcher gave up more than three runs during the week, the Linguists appear to have some consistency in their hurlers, and, despite a relatively low points total, are challenging the top two in the Ruth Division. The German Gold Gloves have the opposite syndrome – plenty of points, but few wins – and the two clash next week.

Five home runs, ten ribbies, and nine walks would be most welcome to any team in the league, but Jim Thome’s power surge this week was one of only three hitters this week to go deep for the Buckeyes. His 53 points kept the Buckeyes in contention in this match-up, but the pitching ran out of luck, with just one win and two saves from the entire staff. Tim Hudson allowed just one run but went winless, while Jason Schmidt was even less fortunate, allowing just four baserunners in nine shutout innings, but again failing to leave with the victory. If the Buckeyes’ luck changes, YankeesRule2002 could be in for a fight next week.

Gloves’ misery still won’t end, YRMbombers the beneficiaries

The second win for YRMbombers came at the expense of the German Gold Gloves, who have once again barely missed out on a victory. Matt Clement’s complete game, not to mention good outings for Ted Lilly and Kirk Reuter, helped to lift the Bombers to just their third 250-plus total of the year, while a low-firepower lineup got enough contact from Craig Counsell (ten singles), Ichiro Suzuki (thirteen time on base) and Juan Gonzalez (twelve base hits) to see them through. Javier Vasquez, however, cannot expect to remain a top young pitcher while giving away eleven earned runs in a week, and a win for Steve Karsay in the bullpen ended up as the difference between a 2-6 and a 1-7 record. A trip to Junior’s Bashers will demand the best out of the YRMbombers in Week 10.

Another close shave for the Gloves as they chase their second win of a frustrating season – the Germans’ points average is identical to that of Bambino’s Ghost in the Mantle Division, who have amassed a winning record with the same scoring level. Meanwhile, the Gold Gloves languish at joint last in the DiMaggio Division, despite solid hitting from Carlos Beltran and a complete game win for Kip Wells, who has been outstanding in recent weeks. Poor throwing from C.C. Sabathia and Omar Daal left the rotation lopsided, and although the lineup demonstrated speed on the basepaths, extra-base hits were few and far between. The Cunning Linguists touch down next week, hoping that the Gloves do not rebound in Week 10.

Balloon Knots soar to highest of season, defeating plunging Playaz

319 points, a seasonal high for the Balloon Knots, condemned the Babe’s Piano Playaz to a third consecutive defeat, leaving them struggling to remain in a close Mantle Division pennant race. Greg Maddux was the key, despite going just 10 2/3 innings in two starts, for he departed with the victory both times, while Roy Oswalt and Carlos Hernandez both bravely ate innings for Houston and the Knots, going 28 IP with 23 strikeouts between them. Hitting was sparse but sufficient, with eight RBIs and 26 total bases for Todd Helton the highlight. The Knots are beginning to put pressure on the teams above them in the Mantle Division, the Playaz being the team currently closest.

The Playaz are beginning to show signs of being left behind in the Mantle Division pennant race, although the division is currently so close that no team can be ruled out by any stretch of the imagination. Disappointing starts for Chan Ho Park (6 ER in 3.1 IP) and, to a lesser extent, Russ Ortiz (18 HA and 8 ER in 15 IP) masked a complete game for Kenny Rogers in the points total. Hitting is improving for the Playaz, but Barry Bonds and Larry Walker appear to have suffered poor weeks, leaving the Babe short of the points necessary to rise above the 300 mark once more. Saxmania’s Swingers offer the next opportunity for the Playaz to surge back up the table.

Bears stroll further ahead, Ghosts left to plot revenge match

The new leader against the former leader – the two heavyweights of the Mantle Division matched up in Week 9, and the Bad News Bears were left triumphant, thanks partly to a good week from Brian Giles and some stingy pitching. Expensive outings for Eric Milton and Kevin Appier were compensated for by their stamina, while additional hitting from Jose Vidro and Adam Dunn helped balance out the points total. Despite only once reaching the 300-points mark, the Bears are now well-placed to contend for the Mantle Division pennant, and the FP Balloon Knots will need another good week to dislodge them in Week 10.

Until the return match after the All-Star Break, the Ghosts will have to be content with some good pitching from Derek Lowe as the high point of this week. Lowe allowed no runs in six innings, yet was denied a win – the Ghosts’ bullpen registered more wins than their rotation this week. Unexceptional hitting also dragged the Bambino down, with Johnny Damon and Ramon E. Martinez noticeable holes. Still, the Ghosts remain close to the top of the Mantle Division, and will watch next week’s matchups with interest to see whether an opportunity to climb higher presents itself.

Fixtures – Week 10, June 2nd:

West Haven Yankees v Italian Ice
Lords of Flatbush v Michigan Wolverines
YankeesRule2002 v Buckeye Bombers
Cunning Linguists v German Gold Gloves
YRMbombers2002 v Junior’s Bashers
Babe’s Piano Playaz v Saxmania’s Swingers
Bad News Bears v FP Balloon Knots

The big matchup is between the Lords of Flatbush and the Michigan Wolverines, leaders of the Ruth and the DiMaggio Divisions respectively. West Haven and Junior’s Bashers both play sub-.500 teams, so they will hope to close the gaps on the top of their divisions. Meanwhile, lucky meets unlucky as the Gold Gloves welcome the Linguists.

Notes

Being tremendously ill (hay fever), there may be a slight pause before I post mid-season analysis that I promised you last week. I know, you’re all on the edge of your seats. You should scoot back a bit, you’ve got plenty of room there. Anyway, whether you care or not, there’ll be the current records set and a bit of commentary up Tuesday – Wednesday for your delectation. Fab.

NOTE – I realise it’s not exactly mid-season, but our first teams have hit the nine games halfway mark, so sod you all. With all the bye weeks and stuff, I can’t be bothered to work out the mathematical halfway points. Humph.

EDIT - Damn, didn't post the zip file. I'll add it in the analysis thread in a few days. Chiz.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Sascha
06-02-02, 05:37 PM
I'll save my breath. I'm faced with ruin. I was charged 2 pounds and got back an apple and an egg. This team ain't worth playing in the big leagues. Go give me a cigar and let me manage a minor league team.... :(

Get well soon, Commish Sel.. Saxman :)

(This is ridiculous.. again 7 points... PETE!! :( )

Coney36
06-02-02, 05:55 PM
Excuse me while I rant and rave...

Unfortunately for me, Jensen wasn't on the bench last week. And Quevedo is a new addition this week. And jeez, I had four pitchers starting on the same day and all I got was one freakin' win!!! I hate the Mets!!! Noooo, they can't beat the Marlins unless Burnett is the SP...grr...

Wait...I won, barely...gasp, gasp...gonna be tight this week...:eek:

Btw, get well soon, commish :)

Saxmania
06-02-02, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by Coney36
Excuse me while I rant and rave...

Unfortunately for me, Jensen wasn't on the bench last week. And Quevedo is a new addition this week.

Right. I'm blaming that one on the headache. I have a sore throat and running nose left to spend, then I'm down to charges of incompetence.

Seriously, I've been trying to keep closer track of comings and goings on rosters, but I missed a few. Damn it. Plus I forgot to put Nevin back on the DL, so I'm short a 1st baseman for the week. Ah, well, .500 here I come . . .

Thanks for the wishes, BTW. Now excuse me while I leave to perfect my pollen-vaporizing gun . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
06-02-02, 06:36 PM
feel better sax..

West Haven.. I told you..

da da da dadadada dah da da da da da da da daaaaaaaaaaa
Gonna Fly Now..

Gonna Fly Now..

Gonna Fly Now..

:lol:

YES!

Revenge on Lords is coming soon, isn't it?!?!

SanFrANSKY
06-02-02, 07:02 PM
At the rate my team's going, the Playaz should be contracted. :mad:

BrianNYYanks
06-02-02, 07:26 PM
Boz You got lucky, If it weren't for Colon you would have lost no doubt! It must be hard for you to root for a Cleveland Indian because it was hard for me to Root against Robin Ventura, espescially during the Boston series. C'mon Yanks oh no Ventura is up GO yanks, no Ventura, Go Yanks, Go Ventura!!! I always liked klesko when he played for the Braves but he was either Home Run or Strike out. His batting has really improved since last year against lefthanders. I still believe, my team is better, But, Great job, to Junior's Bashers in a close, great game. I was watching the marlins vs. mets last night yelling at lowell to club another one. Gotta love this sport, Baseball, Summer etc...

great job again SAX,

great job this week, BOZ!

BrianNYYanks
06-02-02, 07:39 PM
Oh and by the way Boz, I think using SP in the positions of RP is a little bit of a technical cheat. You have no legit CLOSER and you continue to use Starting Pitchers whom were once classified as Relief pitchers. It is a pretty slick move because you are hoping to add points by WINS rather than Saves. I am suprized no other General Manager has said anything about this devious behavior. You are a slick one, but are you legit, Huh lets think about it.

I will be looking for a ruling from the committee. A little contoversy.

YanksRockMan
06-02-02, 07:55 PM
This wasn't an impressive win for me, but at least I beat someone, who is also known as Sas.:D:evil:

Time to play the Bashers next week!

Bozidar
06-02-02, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by BrianNYYanks
Boz You got lucky, If it weren't for Colon you would have lost no doubt! It must be hard for you to root for a Cleveland Indian because it was hard for me to Root against Robin Ventura, espescially during the Boston series. C'mon Yanks oh no Ventura is up GO yanks, no Ventura, Go Yanks, Go Ventura!!! I always liked klesko when he played for the Braves but he was either Home Run or Strike out. His batting has really improved since last year against lefthanders. I still believe, my team is better, But, Great job, to Junior's Bashers in a close, great game. I was watching the marlins vs. mets last night yelling at lowell to club another one. Gotta love this sport, Baseball, Summer etc...1) Lucky? You had 4 chances at Bartolo :)

I don't really root for the indians, i don't pay attention to their games at all. I just check box scores. As for Robin.. it's been tough rooting for him lately, he's sucking up the joint like that giant vacuum from Space Balls.
Klesko - wasn't expecting this much out of him, it was a suprise :)

Close game? Of the 7 matchups, only 2 teams got beat by a bigger margin ;)

It was a fun one though.. and a nail-biter, since you've got a pretty kicking team

Bozidar
06-02-02, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by BrianNYYanks
Oh and by the way Boz, I think using SP in the positions of RP is a little bit of a technical cheat. You have no legit CLOSER and you continue to use Starting Pitchers whom were once classified as Relief pitchers. It is a pretty slick move because you are hoping to add points by WINS rather than Saves. I am suprized no other General Manager has said anything about this devious behavior. You are a slick one, but are you legit, Huh lets think about it.

I will be looking for a ruling from the committee. A little contoversy. that's like saying it's cheating to use Enrique Wilson as a second baseman, because he doesn't play there regularly :) If he qualifies, it's legal :)

I've often thought that my lack of a legit closer was a problem.. but as long as I keep getting innings and wins, i won't complain ;)

Bozidar
06-02-02, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by YanksRockMan
Time to play the Bashers next week! Good luck, Thunderlips.

Ansky39
06-03-02, 06:30 AM
yaaawwwn.. anudda week, anudda win.... not much changes to report... yaaawwwn.... oh snagged couple more arms for the rotation... yaaawwn... lineup will have to gut it out, w/ no bench... yaaaawwwnnn...

huh, what this??? michigan wolverines...

randy johnson, aj burnett, matt morris, torri hunter, andru jones, albert pujols, jeff kent, and richie sexson!!!! ok time to wake up guys we gotta tough one this week...

p.s. yo sanfran, you're a bully...

p.p.s. i own you guys, bow down and pay homage to the Lords...

Ansky39
06-03-02, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by Bozidar
As for Robin.. it's been tough rooting for him lately, he's sucking up the joint like that giant vacuum from Space Balls.

uh, no comment... ;)

Ansky39
06-03-02, 06:38 AM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
At the rate my team's going, the Playaz should be contracted. :mad:

perhaps if mr hicks would trade some of his plethora of outfield bats in some much needed arms... ;)

i got dibs on barry in the dispersal draft...

Saxmania
06-04-02, 04:15 PM
that's like saying it's cheating to use Enrique Wilson as a second baseman, because he doesn't play there regularly :) If he qualifies, it's legal :)

I've often thought that my lack of a legit closer was a problem.. but as long as I keep getting innings and wins, i won't complain ;)

Kinda torn on this one. On the one hand, it's not exactly in the spirit of the game - but then, I've been playing Alfonzo at 2nd and Nevin at 3rd. On the other hand, there's no rule against it, and you grab points any way you can. (After all, there's a serious stream of thought that specified "closers" aren't necessarily the only way to run a bullpen. Not that I agree with that.)

In the end, we should probably have made saves worth more (10 instead of 5) to counterbalance the lack of innings they pitch. A lesson for next year?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
06-04-02, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Saxmania
In the end, we should probably have made saves worth more (10 instead of 5) to counterbalance the lack of innings they pitch. A lesson for next year? Are you kidding me? A save worth as much as a win, or a complete game? That's crazy.

5 is the right amount.

If there was a closer out there, i'd get him to replace one of my dysfunctional starters.. but due to the lack of depth at that position, i went the other route. It's all leagal and none of it's "under the table".

Saxmania
06-05-02, 02:36 PM
Logically you're right, of course, but the result does seem to be that people stock up on crappy middle relievers who get to spot start, rather than grabbing closers. I know that a lot of other leagues (the other one I'm in, for example) score 10 for a save, presumably for the same reason. Closers just don't get many innings, and that's where a lot of our points come from.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
06-05-02, 03:02 PM
and that's where a lot of our points come from.Hmm.. I do recall balking at the idea that innings were worth 3 points, rather than just one ;) :D

Saxmania
06-05-02, 03:09 PM
Hmm.. I do recall balking at the idea that innings were worth 3 points, rather than just one ;) :D

Yes, that one seems to stir a few dormant neurons. But the problem is that you really should penalise pitchers for allowing hits and walks - but if you charge them one point for that, then a pitcher who allows a single hit or walk in a scoreless inning doesn't get any points. Doesn't seem quite right. Conversely, if you don't, then you penalise efficient pitchers, and don't reward quality pitching.

Hmmm. Want to buy a closer?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
06-05-02, 03:26 PM
Hmmm. Want to buy a closer? :lol: nope! Just like in real baseball, they're a little over-rated! :D