PDA

View Full Version : B-B.com HtH Weeky Newsletter - Week 6

Saxmania
05-12-02, 12:49 PM
The Mantle Division continues to smack the DiMaggio Division around, while interdivisional matches in the Ruth Division narrow a few gaps. The league is developing into quite a competitive contest.

Ruth (17-10)
Mantle (12-11)
DiMaggio (16-12)

Results

German Gold Gloves lost to Saxmania’s Swingers by 294 –353 points
Junior’s Basherslost to FP Balloon Knots by 250 - 255 points
Italian Ice lost to Babe’s Piano Playaz by 270 – 400 points
Michigan Wolverines defeated Bambino’s Ghost by 300 – 195 points
Buckeye Bombers lost to Bad News Bears by 186 – 236 points
Lords of Flatbush defeated West Haven Yankees by 311 – 203 points
Cunning Linguists defeated YankeesRule2002 by 295 – 286 points

Standings

Ruth Division

West Haven Yankees (5-1; 1879 points)
Lords of Flatbush (4-1; 1412 points)
Cunning Linguists (4-2; 1382 points)
YankeesRule2002 (3-2; 1318 points)
YRMbombers2002 (1-4; 1236 points)

DiMaggio Division

Michigan Wolverines (4-2; 1847 points)
Junior's Bashers (2-4; 1672 points)
Italian Ice (1-4; 1150 points)
German Gold Gloves (1-5; 1553 points)
Buckeye Bombers (1-5; 1305 points)

Mantle Division

Saxmania's Swingers (4-2; 1692 points)
Bambino's Ghost (4-2; 1532 points)
Babe's Piano Playaz (3-2; 1400 points)
Bad News Bears (3-2; 1264 points)
FP Balloon Knots (2-4; 1566 points)

Weekly Awards

Team of the Week – Babe’s Piano Playaz (400 points)
Luckiest Team of the Week – Bad News Bears (won with 236 points)
Unluckiest Team of the Week – German Gold Gloves (lost with 294 points)
Matchup of the Week – Junior’s Bashers v FP Balloon Knots (5 points’ difference in the result)

League Leaders

Runs scored – Michigan Wolverines (188)
Homeruns – Babe’s Piano Playaz (61)
Stolen Bases – Bambino’s Ghost (38)
Walks – Babe’s Piano Playaz (179)

Wins – West Haven Yankees (24)
Saves – Bambino’s Ghost (28)
Strikeouts – Michigan Wolverines (261)
Earned Runs* – German Gold Gloves (71)
*lowest in league

Match Reports

Gloves grasping for wins as Swingers connect in European derby

The German Gold Gloves can’t buy a win, it seems, as yet another impressive display failed to net the continental team a second win. Despite opening their account last week, the Gloves miss injured sluggers Griffey, Jr. and Justice, managing just four homeruns during the week. Good all-around pitching, especially from closer Byung-Hyun Kim (3 saves + 1 win) and starter El Duque (1 ER in a winning 7 IP), couldn’t replace the missing RBIs from a decimated lineup.

The Swingers posted their highest total of the year, thanks to double outings from Barry Zito, Josh Fogg, and Steve Sparks. Two wins each for Zito and Fogg, plus complete games from Sparks and Kerry Wood, were well-assisted by four saves from the bullpen. Alex Rodriguez once again bolstered the hitting, but the loss of Manny Ramirez may well weaken the Swingers next week as they meet the YRMbombers. Still, this week they can enjoy shared control of the Mantle Division.

Balloons rising, but Bashers maintain hold on second

The week’s closest game was settled by a difference of five points, as the FP Balloon Knots were rewarded for several weeks of useful results. Todd Helton was the difference between the two teams, blasting four homeruns and eight ribbies. Greg Maddux and Roy Oswalt also turned in two useful outings each, combining for 6 ER in 27 innings thrown, to keep the Balloons’ rotation solid. Still at the foot of the Mantle Division despite two wins, the Knots’ record is now the same as the Bashers’.

That record is good enough for second in the DiMaggio Division, and Junior’s Bashers just missed out on a win that would have kept the pressure on Michigan above them. Paul Byrd pitched seven innings of shutout ball for a win, and Joel Piniero bagged a brace of victories, but a poor outing for Scott Erickson and the absence of a bullpen dragged the Bashers down to a disappointing total. The Bashers’ line-up isn’t yet living up to it’s name, with especially weak stats from Craig Biggio. Sammy Sosa’s usefulness to this team is also hampered by the 12 free passes he accepted this week.

Playaz master their game, Ice can only watch

Overwhelming the Italian Ice this week, with the second-highest points total yet recorded in the B-B.com Fantasy League, the Playaz reached the summit of 400 points with some outstanding power hitting. 15 home runs, including three each from Carlos Delgado, Lance Berkman, and Jose Hernandez, established the Playaz as the leading longball hitters in any division. Meanwhile, the bullpen was superb, with Mariano Rivera notching four saves and former Yankee Irabu grabbing two. With six saves in two weeks, Irabu may prove a useful cog in the Playaz’ push up the Mantle Division table.

The Ice’s points total was a credible effort, but still fell short of challenging the Playaz’ domination of the match-up. Good work by Kevin K. Brown and Alfonso Soriano was largely undone through some patchy hitting and no other winning pitchers in the rotation. Trevor Hoffman was short on save opportunities, and Tino Martinez is missing out on the needed power from the Utility spot. The Ice will next week have a shot at the team immediately above them, Junior’s Bashers, in a bid to grab second spot in the DiMaggio Division.

Wolverines keep on rolling, Ghosts fade from the top spot

The battle of two division leaders ended with the Michigan Wolverines continuing their dominance of the DiMaggio Division, improving to a 4-2 record. This leaves them as the only team in their division with a winning record, and with their consistency, they will be confident next week against the Buckeye Bombers. Heroes this week were Andruw Jones, with 4 homers and 10 runs batted in, and Matt Morris, who struck out 10 in an eight-innings win. Florida’s Vladimir Nunez may well prove an astute acquisition, as he added three saves to the Wolverine’s fourth successive 300+ week.

The Ghosts relinquished sole command of the lead in the Mantle Division with this sub-par performance, due largely to weak outings from Glendon Rusch and Jon Lieber, plus an anonymous performance from the hitters. No hitter took control of the lineup, with low power numbers and poor RBI figures, and the Ghosts will expect improvement from a roster that has demonstrated the ability to dominate before. The Rulers will next week be wondering which Bambino turns up.
Bad News for the Buckeyes as Bears continue to oscillate

Alternating winning and losing weeks may not be good for the manager’s nerves, but this week it sees the Bad News Bears rise once again over the .500 mark. Adam Dunn’s clutch hitting provided the Bears with 12 points from RBIs alone, and every active player contributed a home run or two, resulting in a solid line-up. Roy Halladay overcame the Blue Jays’ current woes to lead the Bears’ staff, allowing just one earned run in over seven innings and adding a win. Next week the Bears will look to break their pattern against the Linguists.

The Buckeyes are also having trouble with consistency, with some solid weeks tarnished by less competitive results. Main culprits this week were Darryl Kile (9 ER in 11.1 IP) and Jason Bere (6 ER in 5.1 IP), wasting some useful hitting for Cleveland slugger Jim Thome and some speedy footwork from Marlin Luis Castillo at second base. Billy Wagner was also starved of points with just one appearance and no saves this week. The Wolverines visit next week, and the opportunity for redemption with them.

Lords close gap with leaders, Yankees can’t regain early form

Another impressive week for the Flatbu................es, who topped 290 points for the third week in a row, and are now within touching distance of the leader’s spot. All-around pitching powered this week’s display, with Ramon Ortiz and Ugueth Urbina major contributors. The top four of the rotation all picked up wins, and Odalis Perez allowed only one earned run in eight innings, while Ortiz fanned 18 during two outings. Competent hitting saw the Lords home, with Garret Anderson the most productive of the batters this week.

The West Haven Yankees still hold this season’s record for highest weekly points total, but barely managed half of that 403 total this week. Among the reasons for this slump were the fact that Ben Grieve and Roger Cedeno only managed one hit each, while Cedeno didn’t even walk once. Roger Clemens worked for his win, but Livian Hernandez undid his good work, allowing 10 ER in 11 IP. Good relief pitching wasn’t enough for West Haven to hold off the Lords, but it may be a promising sign for next week, when the Yankees travel to the dangerous Balloon Knots.

Linguists leapfrog Rulers, division no help

Despite a record good enough for joint third in either the DiMaggio or the Mantle divisions, the Linguists are just third in the Ruth Division. However, this week’s performance will have helped their ambitions greatly, with good all-around baseball from Juan Encarnacion complementing some patient hitting from Rafael Palmeiro. Wins from Mussina and Dessens, plus a win and two saves from Julio Jorge, helped to hold off a pitching-strong Rulers team.

The Rulers are in a similar predicament, with a winning record not good enough to place them any higher than fourth in the Ruth Division. This week saw a gem from Brad Radke, and an excellent showing from the bullpen of Robb Nen and Jose Mesa, but Brad Penny’s no-show and poor play from Bret Boone (who drew eight walks but was caught three times on the basepaths) limited how far the Rulers could go. More consistent hitting would help next week as the Rulers visit the Ghosts.

Fixtures

Week 7 - May 12th

West Haven Yankees v FP Balloon Knots
Lords of Flatbush v Babe’s Piano Playaz
YankeesRule2002 v Bambino’s Ghost
Cunning Linguists v Bad News Bears
YRMbombers2002 v Saxmania’s Swingers
Junior’s Bashers v Italian Ice
Michigan Wolverines v Buckeye Bombers

Notes

Apologies for the late post – I wiped the text for the newsletter and had to start again. Some really good divisional contests forming up, I think, with every team now having at least one win and one loss. How’s that for competitive balance, Bud?

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Sascha
05-12-02, 01:01 PM
Anybody want some awards ? Willing to trade like 3 awards for one victory.... :(

YanksRockMan
05-12-02, 01:18 PM
Why the hell am I still at 1236 points??

Sascha
05-12-02, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by YanksRockMan
Why the hell am I still at 1236 points??
You had a bye week...

YanksRockMan
05-12-02, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by wwwMAJORLEAGUEde

You had a bye week...
Oh yea, my bad...

Coney36
05-12-02, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Saxmania
Ruth (17-10)
Mantle (12-11)
DiMaggio (16-12)

According to my calculations, Mantle is 16-12. DiMaggio is 9-20.

BrianNYYanks
05-12-02, 08:50 PM
Are you sure I was beaten by the Lords of Flatbush this must be some kind of Horrible mistake. Hey I am also going to the Yanks vs. Tampa Bay game on Wednesday, should I be rooting for Ben Grieve?

Bozidar
05-12-02, 09:35 PM
Byrd looked good again today, hope he looks as good next time this week, when he faced the indians again.

FP -- you're so friggin lucky that sammy's game got postponed yesturday.

even if they gave him a free pass at every AB, he still would have gotten enough runs to make up the difference :P

Ansky39
05-13-02, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by BrianNYYanks
Are you sure I was beaten by the Lords of Flatbush this must be some kind of Horrible mistake. Hey I am also going to the Yanks vs. Tampa Bay game on Wednesday, should I be rooting for Ben Grieve?

it's official.. so sorry to break the news mr gore, but better luck next time...

Ansky39
05-13-02, 09:49 AM
inside da numbers:::

i got the least homers in the league, the least steals, the only team in the league w/ more caught stealing thean steals, the least amount of triples, the 3rd least amount of walks... in other words, my team has no power, no speed, and no plate discipline, yet i'm 4-1 havin wasted three of the toughest teams in the league (boz' jv bashers, sax selig's brewcrew, and now the westhaven sox) in consecutive weeks... go figure...

ugh, and what do i get next, a date w/ our sanfran's rejuvenated texas rangers... ugh... at least i beat boz and sax... ;)

SanFrANSKY
05-13-02, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Ansky39
ugh, and what do i get next, a date w/ our sanfran's rejuvenated texas rangers...

Shucks annie! Kenny, Hideki and th' good ol' boyz can't wait for your team to come on ovah to th' ranch ! http://www.unique-hardware.co.uk/server-smilies/contrib/slim2g/Bouncy.gif

Saxmania
05-14-02, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Coney36

According to my calculations, Mantle is 16-12. DiMaggio is 9-20.

Damn, you're right. I suck.

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

Bozidar
05-14-02, 04:11 PM
Damn, you're right. I suck.don't be so hard on yourself

you don't suck.. you're just KINDA sucky ;) :D :lol:

Cummon, what would we do w/o ya?

YanksRockMan
05-14-02, 04:28 PM
Hey Sax, looks like you have the total domination on me...oh well.

Saxmania
05-15-02, 05:08 PM
Thanks, Boz. Without semantics, my life would be pretty depressing.

YRM, actually you're ahead by miles. There was a gap of over 400 between us on Sunday; now it's well under 300. My ass is getting whupped, as you Americans say. But then, with both Nevin and Ramirez out . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

YanksRockMan
05-15-02, 05:42 PM
YRM, actually you're ahead by miles. There was a gap of over 400 between us on Sunday; now it's well under 300. My ass is getting whupped, as you Americans say. But then, with both Nevin and Ramirez out . . .

Woops..my bad...;):cool:

Saxmania
05-17-02, 07:00 PM
Sorry, YRM, looks like I goofed again. Taking into account your bye week points, I'm around 80 points up on this week's matchup. Ramirez and Nevin may be big holes, but Zito has compensated. Better come up with something special fast . . .

Be seeing you,

Saxmania

YanksRockMan
05-17-02, 08:22 PM
Sorry, YRM, looks like I goofed again. Taking into account your bye week points, I'm around 80 points up on this week's matchup. Ramirez and Nevin may be big holes, but Zito has compensated. Better come up with something special fast . . .

Geez commish, make up your mind! I knew I was doing terrible, but who knows, I may get a 100 point performance.:P