PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Rose to Bulls; Miller, Artest to Pacers

Coney36
02-19-02, 02:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/news_trade_020219.html

Rose, Best Dealt to Bulls for Miller, Artest, Others
By Conrad Brunner

INDIANAPOLIS, Feb. 19 - One of the biggest trades in franchise history was consummated today when the Pacers sent Jalen Rose, their leading scorer the past 2 seasons, to Chicago in a package that brought the Bulls' three top scorers - Ron Mercer, Ron Artest and Brad Miller.

The official announcement came a 1 p.m. press conference at Conseco Fieldhouse.

"It is very painful to give up players like Jalen Rose and Travis Best who have been a big part of the success we've had here," said team president Donnie Walsh. "I believe this trade will help us because it gives us strength in areas we need them and it will also be helpful to our team's future."

In addition to Rose, the Pacers sent reserve point guard Travis Best, rookie shooting guard Norm Richardson and a future second-round pick to the Bulls. To fill the backup point guard vacancy, the Bulls also sent Kevin Ollie to the Pacers to complete the deal.

The Pacers filled their void at center with Miller while upgrading the perimeter defense with Artest. Mercer is a proven scorer while Ollie will step into Best's role as the backup to rookie point guard Jamaal Tinsley.

Miller, a 7-0, 261-pound fourth-year veteran from Purdue, fills the Pacers' void at center, allowing All-Star Jermaine O'Neal to move to his natural position of power forward on a full-time basis. Miller, 25, is averaging 12.7 points and 8.4 rebounds.
Ollie

Artest, 22, is a strong defensive player who, at 6-7 and 246 pounds, can play both shooting guard and power forward. His averages are 15.6 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.78 steals per game.

Mercer, 26, is a proven scorer who has been unable to find a long-term home. The Pacers become his fifth team in six seasons. He leads the Bulls with a 16.8 scoring average, though his field goal percentage (.399) is a career low. He is on the injured list with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his right knee and has missed 11 games this season. He has a career scoring average of 17.0.

Ollie, 30, is also a well-traveled player, as the Pacers are his seventh team in eight seasons. He averaged 5.8 points and 3.7 assists in 22.0 minutes in 52 games, including 17 starts, with the Bulls.

Both Miller and Artest are signed through the 2002-03 season. Mercer is under contract through 2003-04. Ollie is a free agent after this season.

Rose, 29, blossomed into one of the NBA's most versatile players in his six years with the Pacers, earning the league's Most Improved Player award in 2000. He averaged a team-high 18.5 points, as well as 4.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists, in 53 games with the Pacers this season. He was also the team's highest-paid player (a reported $10.87 million this season, escalating to $15.69 million in 2005-06, the final year of the deal.

Best, 29, averaged 6.9 points and 4.0 assists in 44 games this season but had come on strong of late, averaging 12.1 points in the last seven games. He will become a free agent after this season.

-----------------------------------------------
I dunno, maybe it's just me cuz I'm partial to Rose, but I just don't see this as a good deal. Rose is coming to his prime and would have been the franchise player, if not already, after Reggie. In retrospect, the Pacers are really helping out the Bulls, cuz this must be the kind of deal the Jerrys been drooling for since the Bulls collapsed after 98...

Dave in MD
02-19-02, 03:22 PM
I think that is a good trade for Indiana. Artest and Miller give them some toughness. Rose has regressed since Larry Bird left.

y_a_n_k_e_e_34
02-19-02, 09:52 PM
i think it's a dumb deal. but i've been rose and best's fan forever. now i have to watch the bulls. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pacewon
02-19-02, 09:57 PM
Great trade for the Pacers IMO. Best was expendable with the emergence of Jamaal Tinsley (I am an old fan of his from his days at Iowa State). Rose is a good player but rumor has it that Isaiah Thomas didn't care for him that much in the first place. As it has been pointed out, Rose really became a star under Larry Bird. The Pacers needed size and got that in Brad Miller. Artest and Mercer are good players. I hate the Pacers but I like what they did with this deal.

iloveny
02-20-02, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by y_a_n_k_e_e_34
i think it's a dumb deal. but i've been rose and best's fan forever. now i have to watch the bulls. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know how you feel! I always liked Rose and Best too well maybe they will make the Bulls better. Anything is possible :)

y_a_n_k_e_e_34
02-20-02, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by iloveny

I know how you feel! I always liked Rose and Best too well maybe they will make the Bulls better. Anything is possible :)

yeah, maybe they'll give the bulls 13 wins this half of the season. they only got 12 before the all-star break.

y_a_n_k_e_e_34
02-20-02, 11:22 PM
Rose scored 36 (bulls season high...so sad) in his first game and first win with the Bulls.

Sascha
02-21-02, 05:55 AM
Bulls traded Brand, as he was their maybe best player. Now they traded Miller and Artest...

but finally they got good players in Rose and Best...

In my opinion the Bulls can only get better by this trade. about the Pacers ? Don't know...

thecaptain
02-21-02, 04:20 PM
they should have kept Brand.....a westchester new york kid..

NYYRules#1
02-21-02, 04:26 PM
Excellent trade for the Bulls. But Brand should still be a Bull.

y_a_n_k_e_e_34
02-22-02, 09:00 PM
that Brand for Chandler trade was probably the worst in the history of the game.