PDA

View Full Version : I think this one's fairly obvious...

JimF
07-26-00, 07:27 AM
Hello everyone-

If you're looking at this thread, chances are you've already noticed what's changed. I'll be working throughout the day to tie up all the loose ends in regards to colors that are not set right.

I figured it was about time that the forums be integrated with the rest of the site - the content from both should provide you with everything you need to stay up to date and on top of all the latest news on the Yanks.

The only thing that I've done that is radically different is that I've eliminated the BBQ Pit forum, and moved all the threads into Just Conversation. I didn't see a need for it in light of not having any "visitors" - plus I realized how moronic a "Visitor's Dugout" looked, and didn't want to turn into that kind of situation.

Now it's time for me to go to BED damnit!! :)

-jim

Kimmie
07-26-00, 07:48 AM
Jim, I appreciate your time and effort, though I must say.. The new look is fugly! No offense! It's hard to read with the white background! I had to put my sunglasses on! You are doing a super duper job, but this change is just a little too drastic!

orangemom
07-26-00, 07:55 AM
I'm sorry Jim, but I agree with BTHL. It's really hard on my old eyes, although I love this blue screen I'm typing on with the white lettering. That's very cool. I don't mean to find fault, honest, and like Kim said, I appreciate all your hard work. I just find it hard to read. :(

JimF
07-26-00, 08:25 AM
Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. And I mean that - I depend on all of you to tell me what's up or what's down. So I appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

In web design, it is general principal that light text on a dark background is harder to read. That was one factor into my decision. The second was the fact that the rest of the site has a white background - mainly because a dark background is too hard to read on. And I fell it was necessary at this point in time to combine the forums with the rest of the site.

On occassion there are things that I've seen people getting from other sites and or places, that they can get right here, without leaving Bronx-Bombers.com. Namely, daily photos, stats, Articles from the NY papers, etc. It's all right here at everyone's disposal - and I spend countless hours every day putting it all right here. It is to everyone's benefit if they are reminded that they can get all of that information right here, without having to hunt all around the internet for it. With approximately 90% of the traffic coming to the forums without so much as a glance at the main page, I felt it was necessary to combine the two of them.

So, between the colors issue, and the content issue, I felt it was a good time to make the move. I think that you will get used to the colors, it's just the initial shock of expecting the dark background - not to mention "other" Yankees sites have dark backgrounds as well.

Give it a few days, and if it is still uncomfortable for everyone, I'll consider changing it back. But for now, just give it a shot for a few days.

-jim

Kimmie
07-26-00, 10:55 AM
Then again, Orangemom and I have a big hang over going on here.. so maybe thats why it just hurts our eyes so much! ;)

orangemom
07-26-00, 11:05 AM
Once again BTHL is right, this hangover thing is not good, and everything hurts my eyes. I'll be more objective maybe tomorrow. :)

Kimmie
07-26-00, 11:26 AM
Jim, I went to NJO and they have a white background! However, they have lots of color.. Try to add some color, reds, greens.. Just an idea! :)

allybear
07-26-00, 04:17 PM
I decided to give it a little time and post/read some stuff before I replied. I don't mind the white background at all, and I agree, it gives the site a more consistent look. The only thing is: when you reply in white on a blue background, and then come out onto the white with dark lettering, it does look extremely bright! Instead of changing back to a dark background, though, I would change the color of the reply boxes.

OK, someone has to be different, right?!?

Thanks again for your time and effort with the site, and for always trying to make it the best it can be!

caliyanksfan
07-26-00, 04:58 PM
i think the place looks cool, i appreciate your hard work, and i know we're all (prolly) gonna get used to the new colors.

i hope you're asleep now, mr webmaster.

~~jl

ps--i was gonna put a sleepin' smilie face on here but i can't pul the page up. fyi.

eleven
07-26-00, 05:33 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with BTHL & orangemom... I think that black text on a light background is MUCH easier to read than light on dark... I've actually been hoping that you might make this change, Jim...

Having the forum integrated with the main site via frames is a great change, too...

I have one suggestion: now that the bronx-bombers.com logo from the main site is at the top, the additional forum logo is redundant and just eats up space... I'd recommend that you deep-6 the second one.

Other than that, I think the changes are fab... keep it up!

-Catherine

JimF
07-26-00, 06:10 PM
Okay,

BTHL wants more color
Allybear wantes less color
clyf thinks it's groovy

;)

We'll see how things unwrinkle themselves as we go along.

eleven, yes that thought did cross my mind regarding about removing the logo - which doesn't look good on a white background anyway. I'm currently working on a whole new thing for the top that should shift all the pages up a bit and make things look a little better :).

-jim

JimF
07-26-00, 07:04 PM
JL - what's going on with the smilies page? It's not working for you? Ellaboration?

NYY49
07-26-00, 07:23 PM
Cool beans!! It hit me like a ton of bricks when I first logged on but I like it. However, the NY's do look a little washed out. Let me browse around some more. :)

caliyanksfan
07-26-00, 07:41 PM
when i Click Here for smilies info, the page come up blank, just like when i use my old bookmarks to get into the forums. same thing happens if i try to get into the forums from the Current Topics link on the main page (right side).

btw, elaborate only has one l.;)

jl

ps--i think i also like the colors cuz they remeind me of the old, old yanks forum. it was so hard to get used to that blue at first.

Superunknown
07-26-00, 07:47 PM
Hey, Jim. I must agree with BTHL...the white is a tad too bright. I visit 2 other (non-baseball) sites that have white backgrounds, but I think they're more of an off-white...and one of them has alternating off-white and light grey backgrounds for each post on a thread. Definitely less glare. That might be worth trying out.

I also agree that the NY's on the main page are a bit light.

I'm glad you're always experimenting with ways to make this place better. :)

kgblues
07-26-00, 08:22 PM
BTH, Put it in reverse man!
The old deal was the deal!
I love your work ethics.
But I miss our old site

eleven
07-26-00, 09:01 PM
SuperU wrote:

Hey, Jim. I must agree with BTHL...the white is a tad too bright. I visit 2 other (non-baseball) sites that have white backgrounds, but I think they're more of an off-white...and one of them has alternating off-white and light grey backgrounds for each post on a thread. Definitely less glare. That might be worth trying out.

Ummm... that's EXACTLY what Jim has right now... am I seeing something different from other people? I see the alternating gray/light gray thing right now...

BTW... the blue field/white text in the Reply screen fields is a big thumbs-down... I'm assuming this is just a temporary glitch... :uhh:

-Cath

p.s. The smilies page is working fine for me...

patrick.o
07-26-00, 10:10 PM
AAgh!!! My eyes!! I can't see!! I can't see!! Help, I've been blinded!! Where the hell are my shades?
:cool:
Ahhh...that's better! I may need some sunscreen, tho! :lol:

orangemom
07-26-00, 10:38 PM
Well, now that the hangover is gone, it doesn't bother my eyes so much. I still like the way the white on blue looks as I type. Call me crazy.

penguin4
07-26-00, 11:48 PM
Orangemom, I like it too-- it's very dramatic! Maybe we're both crazy!;)

eleven
07-26-00, 11:58 PM
Yeah, yer crazy. :P I'm going blind from this...

-Cath

JimF
07-27-00, 02:00 AM
JL - Sorry, that was due to Netscape misbehaving. I've fixed it now. That browser is so fussy, it actually forces you to be CORRECT when you make your code :p.

I'm not to sure about the blue typing screnn either, I wanted to try a little something different, so we'll see what happens.

But people please have faith - I know from my vast experience on messageboards that when a change is initially made, nobody likes it. But after getting used to it, people realize it's not so bad.

Give it a few more days, and keep the comments coming!

-jim

eleven
07-27-00, 02:36 AM
JimF wrote:

But people please have faith - I know from my vast experience on messageboards that when a change is initially made, nobody likes it. But after getting used to it, people realize it's not so bad.

:rolleyes:

Trust me, I'm never gonna get use to the blue reply field... :P

Another thing: I don't know if anyone already brought this up, but the text on the "most recently updated posts" page is still white, but now on a white background. I hope you can fix that soon... thanks!

Kimmie
07-27-00, 08:03 AM
I still say the white is too bright.. and my hang over is gone.. I do like this blue background though. very cool..

allybear
07-27-00, 07:17 PM
One thing I just realized: if you use the "confused" smiley (one of my personal favorites, gee, I can't imagine why! ;)) or go to review a long thread where it says click "here", the question marks and the word here are still in white, which does not show up well on the white background.

Oh well, due to my vast experience posting on messageboards, I know I can get used to anything! :lol:

JimF
07-27-00, 07:25 PM
:confused: - it's fixed

Thanks!

Please let me know if you see anything else - everytime I think I've gotten everything, something else pops up :).

-jim

seahorse
07-27-00, 10:43 PM
I'm getting used to it. At first , because of the page border, I didn't like it because the space to read and write was smaller. But now I've made my tool bars smaller so it's better. And I'll probably use the buttons at left more. I used the Morning Papers button for the first time and it's great! Even the Hartford Courent!

I remember when you first started this board Jim, and you were scrambling for people to help. Everything fell into place. It's a lot of work I know, but look what you've built. Now if would only run on autopilot and make some money... someday.

JimF
07-28-00, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by seahorse
I'm getting used to it. At first , because of the page border, I didn't like it because the space to read and write was smaller. But now I've made my tool bars smaller so it's better.

I changed some things last night with the logo at the top of the page which should have helped a little bit too.

Originally posted by seahorse
And I'll probably use the buttons at left more. I used the Morning Papers button for the first time and it's great! Even the Hartford Courent!

THAT. my friend was the whole reason I made the switch. The amount of work I do around the forums is minimal when compared to the main page. I've even altered my sleeping habits so that I can get up earlier to get the news up early (also see: my signature).

So yes, even the Hartford Courant. I cover the Yankees like Plastic Wrap. My goal is to make this the ONLY site all of you need to come to for Yankees information. And I feel myself slowly (very slowly) approaching that goal. And to think, I don't even charge people$6.95 a month for it! :)

-jim

JimF
07-28-00, 05:34 AM
And also considering there have been 7 new registrations since I made the switch, it must look better from an outsiders point of view. Yeah, I know it's only 7 - we seemed to fly to 500, and then we've totally stalled. It's taken over a month to get to 561 from 500. But we're getting there - 1,000 is just around the corner ;).

YanksFan4ever
07-28-00, 08:32 PM
Jim, I want you to know how much you are appreciated. I don't post often but I read the forums everyday. I can't tell you enough what a great website this is for Yankee baseball. I stopped going to Y.com a LONG time ago!! Keep up the good work :)

Chris

allybear
07-28-00, 11:19 PM
Thanks for fixing my favorite smiley! :) I agree - I love the links to the other pages on the sides - it makes it nice and easy to get around, and when you're easily :confused: like me, nice and easy is good! :)

As always, thank you for all your hard work - I really do appreciate it, even when I'm complaining! ;)

JimF
07-29-00, 06:02 AM
Chris, thank you very much. Your words are very kind, and they mean a lot to me! This website is my baby, and I work hard on it for everyone to enjoy. So I am glad that you are enjoying it - that's what makes it so much fun for me! Thanks again! :)

Allybear, I don't look at it as "complaining", I look at it as help. This site is a lot of work for just me, so I depend on everybody to "complain" to let me know what's up. And thanks for your compliments! :)

For everyone: I said this in a different post, and I like the sound of it, so I'm gonna say it again here:

I see our webmaster-visitor relationship being analgous to a driver and a navigator in a car. You need me to drive this site, as much as I need all of you to tell me where to go! Without your concerns, suggestions, problems, et al, I would have no way of knowing what I should put on the site. And I'm always looking to improve, so if there is ANYTHING that you'd like to see added, let me know.

A friend told me that it looks like I get up in the morning and say to myself "what can I do to improve the site today?" And that would be totally true, if I ever went to bed! :)

Thank you to all of you for making this so enjoyable for me! :)

-jim

*can't you just feel the love?*

bombergirl
07-30-00, 08:09 PM
Hey Jim, I decided to let this new format "grow on me" for a bit before replying. Anyway, so far I do prefer the black letters on white instead of the white letters on blue. The frame also gives the place a more "professional" look. :cool:

However, I find that the icons that light up pn the main forum page, to show if a forum has new posts or not, are a bit too plain for me. Instead of just using a circle, could you consider using some Yankee- or baseball-related icon instead?

I LOVE the Morning Papers, BTW. At least, the feature...not sure if I like what's being written in the papers...Buster Olney nearly gave my mother a heart attack with that Tino trade rumor! ;)

B "JM2C" G :D

JimF
07-30-00, 09:11 PM
Hi BG - I'm glad you like the changes! :) I appreciate your waiting to see if you got used to the adjustment, too. I am finding that I like it more and more everytime I use it as well.

Just a note - I'm currently working on a total site overhaul, which will include the "framed look", but without the use of frames. Stay tuned :).

As for the icons on the main page, they aren't really supposed to be "interesting" - they really are only there to serve a purpose; to tell you if there are new posts or not. One of the drawbacks to the success of this site is that the more people that visit, the less I am able to use any official logos of the Yankees. Originally, it was okay because we were small, and there are a million small sites out there that use the logos without any kind of permission. But now the site has grown to the point that I am uncomfortable using any "official" logos without permission from the Yankees - for royalties or whatever they call it. I have a feeling I'm pushing the envelope with them as it is. So that is one reason why I elected to discontinue the use of the "Interlocking NY" to represent new posts in a forum.

But mainly, as I said, those icons are really there to serve a distinct purpose - not to look pretty. But I will see what I can do - because I would like to start building a "brand" so to speak for this site. Possibly incorporating something having to do with baseball. But there are limits as to what you can do with an image that is 20x20 pixels :).

Thanks for the suggestion, it has been added to the "S.T.D." (Stuff To Do) list. Again, I'm glad that you like the changes. But it is only going to be getting better, so stay tuned!

-jim

PS: I moved your smilie topic into "The Suggestion Box".

CalifYanksFan
08-01-00, 09:41 AM
Personally, I think white letters on a dark blue background is easier to read and I can't say I've been partying with Mom and Kim. Too far away Dammit! Anyway, if you're going to leave it as it is now then lighten up the smilies if you can. They just look like dark circles with little or no detail.

CalifYanksFan
08-01-00, 09:43 AM
Oh wait a minute. Let's see contrast and brighten screen...Aww that's better. But I still like the old format better. :P

allybear
08-01-00, 09:52 AM
I am so happy that the reply screen finally matches the other screens!! :)

OK, it doesn't take much to make me happy, ;) but still, it looks great!!! :)