PDA

View Full Version : Name the top yankee versatile players of alltime!

Sixty one
12-03-01, 04:43 PM
I know that fans usually think of the top players by position but sometimes we forget that the versatile player who is proficient at many positions is often overlooked. I know that yanks have had a good one in the last few years...namely Luis Sojo who could play any infield position and hit in the clutch but could you name the yanks greatest versatile player over the past sixty years. My vote goes to Gil McDougald who could play 3rd, 2nd, or shortstop and play at allstar levels. He did play each of those positions from 1951 when he was rookie of the year, until 1960 when he retired. Unfortunately, he retired early and was always remembered as the hitter who hit Herb Score with a line drive that almost killed him! However, he was a great yank of the 50's!:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

SkooterPhil#10
12-03-01, 06:04 PM
Clay Bellinger!!!

Clay Bellinger!!!

:cool:

Michaels07
12-03-01, 08:29 PM
My Choice would be the Great Ellie Howard, the First Black Yankee, a great defensive catcher an offensive force,who played Left Field as well as First Base. An MVP and an All Star.:NY: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

Sixty one
12-03-01, 09:10 PM
Good choice Michaels07! I don't know why I didn't think of him. I always considered Ellie as a great catcher who played a little left field and a little first base just so he can stay in the lineup. However, I think I would still go with Gil who played three infield positions and was also a tough out! However, you are right when you pick Ellie...he would be my second choice.:P :P :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

1TonHumanHamsterWheel
12-03-01, 10:20 PM
Jim Leyritz (1990-96, 99-2000): C, 1B, OF.
That's the name that comes to mind. Plus who will ever forget his postseason homers?

Gehrig
12-04-01, 06:56 AM
Gil Mcdougald would get my vote...Howard would definately be up there.

Nome
12-04-01, 08:04 AM
There was no more versatile player than Gil McDougald. He was an all star at 2B, 3B and SS as has been mentioned and I believe he even put in some time in LF. Gil had a good bat. Clay isn't in his class. Clay might as well go up yo thr plate without a bat for all the good he does with it.

Perhaps the most versatile player to ever was in the Yankees lineup was Bert Campaneris, who once played one inning at every position in a single game. Bert didn't play more than a year or so for the Yankee.

I seem to remember Billy Martin playing several positions also.

Andy

nicky_d
12-04-01, 10:35 AM
What about Phil Linz? He also played a mean harmonica!:D :D :D

Jim Roche
12-04-01, 01:16 PM
Showing my age here..... Gotta be Tony Kubek... only position Casey didn't put him was behind the plate.... with McDougald a close second.
(Gil didn't play 1st or Catch, but did play some OF)....:NY: