PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a list of all the great homegrown Yankees?

Jersey Yankee
11-22-01, 04:26 PM
I'm curious who all the greats were. I've heard of Gehrig, Berra, Mantle, Mattingly and many others. Who are some of the greatest who've come up through the farm and hopefully, played their entire careers proudly wearing the Yankee uniform?

deranged2005
11-22-01, 05:58 PM
Jeter, Bernie, Soriano is all i know

#1YankeeLover
11-22-01, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by deranged2005
Jeter, Bernie, Soriano is all i know If we're talking current times, why not Jorge, Andy, Mo...

-#1YankeeLover

deranged2005
11-22-01, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by #1YankeeLover
If we're talking current times, why not Jorge, Andy, Mo...

-#1YankeeLover

cuz I forgot about them?

#1YankeeLover
11-22-01, 07:36 PM
cuz I forgot about them? Oh...As good a reason as any!! :D :D

(Although I don't know how I'm going to let you get away with forgetting about Andy...I mean, Jorge is one thing, and Mo is less forgiveable than that, but Andy?! &po'd& &po'd& :lol: ;))

-#1YankeeLover

Nome
11-22-01, 07:40 PM
DiMag,
Ford,
Collins,
Pepitone,
Ellie Howard,
Joe Page
Guidry,
Mel Stor,
Skowron,
Bauer
Woodling
Martin (Billy)
Coleman
Rizzutto
Crosetti
Lazzari
Dickey
Houk
Silvera
Mercer

Mattingly
Munson
Enough for now, the turkey is making me tired.

deranged2005
11-22-01, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Nome
DiMag,
Ford,
Collins,
Pepitone,
Ellie Howard,
Joe Page
Guidry,
Mel Stor,
Skowron,
Bauer
Woodling
Martin (Billy)
Coleman
Rizzutto
Crosetti
Lazzari
Dickey
Houk
Silvera
Mercer

Mattingly
Munson

he's good

#1YankeeLover
11-22-01, 07:56 PM
DiMagDidn't Joe D used to play for the San Francisco Seals? The Seals' owner, Charlie Graham, sold him to New York for $25,000 and five players when DiMag was 19. He first played for the Seals in '32 (SS, on the suggestion of his brother Vince), and that transaction was in November of 1934...So he played three seasons for the Seals before playing as a ML Yankee in May of '36.

Again, my reasoning might be faulty...

-#1YankeeLover

#1YankeeLover
11-22-01, 07:57 PM
Unless, of course, the question is which Yankees came up to the majors as Yankees and stayed that way throughout their major league careers.

-#1YankeeLover

Jersey Yankee
11-22-01, 08:47 PM
he's good Very good. Great stuff, Nome!!!

Jersey Yankee
11-22-01, 08:48 PM
Unless, of course, the question is which Yankees came up to the majors as Yankees and stayed that way throughout their major league careers.

-#1YankeeLover That would be the ideal question. Al Leiter isn't great but he came up from the farm, I think. I figure the list would be reduced if they'd played elsewhere after their great Yankee years.

Jersey Yankee
11-22-01, 08:50 PM
If we're talking current times, why not Jorge, Andy, Mo...

-#1YankeeLover Has someone forgotten about Doza and Spencer from the current farm crop? It's harvest time and the crops are blooming nicely!!!

#1YankeeLover
11-22-01, 09:46 PM
No, I meant, is the question if they came up from the Yankees' minor league teams and stayed Yankees their major league entire careers; or is it asking if they were Yankees throughout their minor league careers in addition to their major league careers?

-#1YankeeLover

Nettles
11-23-01, 07:43 AM
If this is supposed to be about players who stayed with the Yankees their entires careers, then not all on Nome's list is accurate. Can we get a clarification as to what we are looking for?

Sixty one
11-23-01, 09:11 AM
Nome's list is great!.....How about adding Red Rolfe, Roy White, Gil McDougald, and Bobby Richardson. Don't forget the honorary Yankee of all time, Bob Shepard!:lol: :lol: :NY: :NY: :NY: :NY:

sanfranciscojetergirl
11-23-01, 10:05 AM
Didn't Joe D used to play for the San Francisco Seals? The Seals' owner, Charlie Graham, sold him to New York for $25,000 and five players when DiMag was 19. He first played for the Seals in '32 (SS, on the suggestion of his brother Vince), and that transaction was in November of 1934...So he played three seasons for the Seals before playing as a ML Yankee in May of '36.

Again, my reasoning might be faulty...

-#1YankeeLover

You are right #1 Yankeelover !!!!

Nome
11-23-01, 03:07 PM
If I am not mistaken the SF Seals were unaffiliated with a ML team so when the Yankees bought him , the Yankees were his first ML affiliation. Nit picking point.

Nome
11-23-01, 05:14 PM
While we are trying to define the rules, off the top of my head add;
Johnnie Murphy,
Lefty Gomez
Tony Kubek and
Tommy Henrich (Tommy was signed by the Indians but the contract was ruled invalid by Commish Landis and he was declared a free agent and signed by the Yanks and played his entire career here)

Andy

SkooterPhil#10
11-23-01, 09:40 PM
A lot of these players were traded to the Yankees when they were in the farm system. Like how we got Soriano. But which ones were DRAFTED by the Yankees? Jeter was and I think Andy Pettitte was too.

Nome
11-24-01, 08:21 AM
Scooter, are you talking about the current Yankee team or are you also including all past teams/players. If so you are limiting the results by using the term "drafted". There was not a draft until relatively recently. I think it came into being sometime in the 60's. Before the teams could sign whoever they wanted and who agreed with the terms.

Andy

Jersey Yankee
11-24-01, 07:14 PM
Nome, I get the feeling that Skoot's talking about trades, whereby an MLB player is traded for another and 2 minor league prospects. If these minor league players are then brought up by the MLB Yankees, that seems what he was referring to.

I personally don't hold standards so strict that a player must have their entire minor league and/or MLB career with the Yankees. If so, there'd be lots of names removed from anyone's list, including Ruth's.

Gehrig
11-24-01, 10:13 PM
While we are trying to define the rules, off the top of my head add;
Johnnie Murphy,
Lefty Gomez
Tony Kubek and
Tommy Henrich (Tommy was signed by the Indians but the contract was ruled invalid by Commish Landis and he was declared a free agent and signed by the Yanks and played his entire career here)

Andy

I KNEW you'd remember these guys !! When I started to go through this post and didn't see them I said to myself "self"...HOW, can they forget Old Reliable AND Goofy ?!? :lol:

SkooterPhil#10
11-24-01, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Jersey Yankee
Nome, I get the feeling that Skoot's talking about trades, whereby an MLB player is traded for another and 2 minor league prospects. If these minor league players are then brought up by the MLB Yankees, that seems what he was referring to.

That is exactly what I was referring to.

Jersey Yankee
12-01-01, 12:16 PM
Skoot, sorry for the late reply, but at least I got you pegged correctly.