PDA

View Full Version : Friday Baseball Trivia



Gehrig
11-16-01, 09:29 AM
1. When was the designated hitter idea first suggested and by whom ?
1928 by NL President Heydler, tired of seeing week hitting pitchers try to hit. The NL owners were for it but could not get the AL owners to go for it

2. Who is the only Yankees skipper to never manage the Yanks in Yankee Stadium (after 1923 …)
Bill Verdon ’74 & ‘75

3. Who is the only person in both the baseball and football Hall of fame ?
Major League umpire Cal Hubbard

4. There is a man on first and a man on second with none out. The batter hits the ball and there is a triple play, but no member of the defense touches the ball… how did this happen?
The runner on 1st is running on the pitch when the batter hits a HIGH infield fly.(BATTER IS OUT #1)The runner from 1st passes the runner on 2nd(RUNNER FROM 1st IS OUT #2). The runner on 2nd gets hit with the infield fly standing off of 2nd base(OUT #3).


5. Who did Hank Aaron hit his first major league home run off of ?
Vic Raschi of the St. Louis Cardinals in 1954

6. In 1963, which baseball pitcher said: "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." Ironically, only a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969, This pitcher hit the first and only home run of his career.
Gaylord Perry

7. In July 1934, How much did Babe Ruth pay a fan dollars for the return of the baseball he hit for his 700th career home run ?
$20

8. In the 1964 World Series, who caught baseballs in the outfield during warm-ups with a tuba ?
St. Louis reserve catcher Bob Uecker

9. How many raised red cotton stitches are there on a Major league baseball ?
108


10. Who is credited with the invention of the modern baseball bat ? He was the first player to order a bat with a knob on the end of the handle.
Babe Ruth

wexy
11-16-01, 09:37 AM
Two is Bill Virdon, Three is Cal Hubbard who I think is also in
the College Football Hall of Fame , Virdon of course managed at Shea.
74-5.

Gehrig
11-16-01, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by wexy
Two is Bill Virdon, Three is Cal Hubbard who I think is also in
the College Football Hall of Fame , Virdon of course managed at Shea.
74-5.

Correct for both...

Gehrig
11-16-01, 09:50 AM
Hubbard, who played on three NFL Championship teams, was the first person elected to three national sports shrines, having previously been honored by the college and professional football halls of fame...

Played for Green Bay, NY and Pittsburgh . He was one of pro football's first genuine giants - a massive 6-ft. 5-inch, 250-pounder who was a devastating blocker on offense and relentless pursuer on defense as a premier, two-way performer. Was an All-Pro choice in each of first three years (1931, '32, '33) such selections were made. Selected to NFL's All-50 Year Team in 1970 and to All-Time Two-Way Team in 1994. Played college football at Centenary, Geneva. Born Oct. 31, 1900 in Keytesville, MO. Died Oct 17, 1977 at age of 76.

Chris
11-16-01, 10:24 AM
5. Who did Hank Aaron hit his first major league home run off of ?

Vic Raschi [b]

6. In 1963, which baseball pitcher said: "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." Ironically, only a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969, This pitcher hit the first and only home run of his career.
[b]Gaylord Perry

7. In July 1934, How much did Babe Ruth pay a fan dollars for the return of the baseball he hit for his 700th career home run ?
20 dollars and a new autographed ball, but the fan also got to watch the remainder of the game on The Yankee bench.
Babe didn’t have his wallet to pay the money, which the fan set the price, so he asked Lou Gehrig to pay the fan the 20 bucks

9. How many raised red cotton stitches are there on a Major league baseball ?
108

10. Who is credited with the invention of the modern baseball bat ? He was the first player to order a bat with a knob on the end of the handle.
Babe Ruth

Winger03
11-16-01, 10:31 AM
4: The batter hits the ball, but steps on home plate before the hit (1 out). The ball is hit EXTREMELY slow, so slow in fact that the guy on second stops midway between second and third to watch it. The guy of first is running all out and passes the guy on second (2 outs). Stunned, the guy on second takes his eye off of the very slow moving ball, and it hits him (3 outs).

6: Mickey Lolich

8: Jimmy Piersall

9: 108 but Chris beat me to it.

Gehrig
11-16-01, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Chris

5. Vic Raschi

6. Gaylord Perry

7. 20 dollars and a new autographed ball, but the fan also got to watch the remainder of the game on The Yankee bench. Babe didn't have his wallet to pay the money, which the fan set the price, so he asked Lou Gehrig to pay the fan the 20 bucks

9. 108

10. Babe Ruth


Correct for 5, 6, 7, and 10...Pretty close on # 9 ( Although you may be right as I haven't personally counted them, I read another total...)

Chris
11-16-01, 10:36 AM
I've also read that there are 104 visible stitches on a baseball, though I also haven't counted, I've always trusted that it was 108.

Is 104 what you're looking for?

Gehrig
11-16-01, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Chris
I've also read that there are 104 visible stitches on a baseball, though I also haven't counted, I've always trusted that it was 108.

Is 104 what you're looking for?

Actually I read 216...I might have to count them now... :lol: (Always have a few in my car for Baseball emergencies :lol: )

penguin4
11-16-01, 11:14 AM
4. There is a man on first and a man on second with none out. The batter hits the ball and there is a triple play, but no member of the defense touches the ball… how did this happen?
This probably sounds ridiculous but I'll give it my best shot. The guy on first has a long lead and the guy on second a short one. The ball is a line drive to second, which the runner thinks is caught so he runs back to second to be safe while the guy on first continues running. The two runners collide off the base and the ball hits them, and if a player it hit by a batted ball he's out so that's two. The batter? Well, I'm going to say that he was in so utter disbelief he either didn't run or failed to touch the bag; three outs. (This has got to be the most ridiculous scenario I've ever heard, but you can't blame me for trying!)


6. In 1963, which baseball pitcher said: "They'll put a man on the moon before I hit a home run." Ironically, only a few hours after Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969, This pitcher hit the first and only home run of his career.
The account I heard it was his manager that said it to him.


10. Who is credited with the invention of the modern baseball bat ? He was the first player to order a bat with a knob on the end of the handle.
Al Spalding?

b-ball-lunachick
11-16-01, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Gehrig
1. When was the designated hitter idea first suggested and by whom ?

I was just talking to my brother and he thought the first suggestion was by Connie Mack...he wasn't sure of the year though...early 1900s lol...If that's right, I'll look up the year!! :D

#1YankeeLover
11-16-01, 12:29 PM
#5 Vic Raschi of the Cardinals, in St. Louis (and in regard to #6, he hit his 600th off Gaylord Perry :D)

#9 . . .Um this sounds really silly, but don't ML baseballs get their seams ironed flat? :o

-#1YankeeLover

Gehrig
11-16-01, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by penguin4
This probably sounds ridiculous but I'll give it my best shot. The guy on first has a long lead and the guy on second a short one. The ball is a line drive to second, which the runner thinks is caught so he runs back to second to be safe while the guy on first continues running. The two runners collide off the base and the ball hits them, and if a player it hit by a batted ball he's out so that's two. The batter? Well, I'm going to say that he was in so utter disbelief he either didn't run or failed to touch the bag; three outs. (This has got to be the most ridiculous scenario I've ever heard, but you can't blame me for trying!)



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... uuhhhh....

no... :lol:

The account I heard it was his manager that said it to him.
could be...I don't know for sure...

Gehrig
11-16-01, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by b-ball-lunachick


I was just talking to my brother and he thought the first suggestion was by Connie Mack...he wasn't sure of the year though...early 1900s lol...If that's right, I'll look up the year!! :D

It was the early part of the 1900's...

Gehrig
11-16-01, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by #1YankeeLover


#9 . . .Um this sounds really silly, but don't ML baseballs get their seams ironed flat? :o

-#1YankeeLover

:eek:

Nope...

And there are indeed 216 !!! (I counted !!!)

b-ball-lunachick
11-16-01, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig


It was the early part of the 1900's...

okay, so I looked that part up -- it was 1906!! :D My brother Ray gets the credit for getting Mack though!! :D

Took a long time to institue that idea, huh? :D

#1YankeeLover
11-16-01, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Gehrig


:eek:

Nope...

And there are indeed 216 !!! (I counted !!!) Very weird...I'd read that they do...And it looks it, to me anyway...OK I'm going to count them too, only I don't have time right now . . . :D :D

-#1YankeeLover

Gehrig
11-16-01, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by b-ball-lunachick


okay, so I looked that part up -- it was 1906!! :D My brother Ray gets the credit for getting Mack though!! :D

Took a long time to institue that idea, huh? :D

umm...nope...not 1906 and not Connie Mack...

Chris
11-16-01, 03:48 PM
I think there may be an issue over what constitutes a stitch.

If it goes in and out then even though you see two pieces of thread is it one or two stitches.

If one stitch goes in and then out then there'd be 108.

If going in is one and coming out is another then we'd have 216

http://peoplepc.com/I/promo/holiday/lights_anim.gif

Gehrig
11-16-01, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I think there may be an issue over what constitutes a stitch.

If it goes in and out then even though you see two pieces of thread is it one or two stitches.

If one stitch goes in and then out then there'd be 108.

If going in is one and coming out is another then we'd have 216

http://peoplepc.com/I/promo/holiday/lights_anim.gif

Going in is one and coming out is another ... And that is what I'm counting to get to 216. I haven't taken one apart in a loooooong time but it might really be 1 loooong stitch... :lol:

DW Fan
11-16-01, 04:38 PM
According to the movie Bull Durham there are 108 stiches. The same amount of beads that are on the rosary! :lol:

Gehrig
11-18-01, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by DW Fan
According to the movie Bull Durham there are 108 stiches. The same amount of beads that are on the rosary! :lol:

Ahhh...BULL Durham...now THERE'S a great source for Baseball facts... :lol:

Gehrig
11-18-01, 02:19 PM
Well, I've spent enough time on the web today in search of the number of stitches and have found a pretty even number of sites going with 108 and 216...sheesh... :lol:

#1YankeeLover
11-18-01, 03:03 PM
I counted the (ironed! :P) stitches on my ML baseball today, and I counted 220. I must have counted wrong.

108/216 actually makes sense . . . :P :P

-#1YankeeLover

Allonsanfan
11-19-01, 01:40 AM
1. By NL President John Heydler in 1928.
8. Bob Uecker

Gehrig
11-19-01, 10:52 AM
All answers on top