PDA

View Full Version : Boone's Bench: News & Rumors

Snatch Catch
12-05-17, 05:10 PM
We know Rothschild will be back, but not much else.

Here's some of the first real news we've seen since Aaron's hiring:

George A. King III‏ @ GeorgeAKingIII 7m7 minutes ago
Yankees considering minor league coordinators Reggie Willits and Carlos Mendoza for big league coaching positions.

If I recall correctly, Mendoza is REALLY well respected by the young core.

Yankees1962
12-05-17, 05:18 PM

Yankees considering minor league coordinators Reggie Willits and Carlos Mendoza for big league coaching positions.

I'm not sure having a rookie MLB manager with two rookie MLB coaches is the right move. Perhaps one, but not two of them.

cleanuphtr24
12-05-17, 06:11 PM

I wonder which spots... I want Thames and Cockrell back

jon abbey
12-05-17, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure having a rookie MLB manager with two rookie MLB coaches is the right move. Perhaps one, but not two of them.

It depends where they're coaching, he already will have a very experienced pitching coach and I'm sure the eventual bench coach will also be very experienced. If these two are the first and third base coaches, I don't think experience matters much. They definitely need a Spanish speaker or two on the staff, though.

-tz
12-05-17, 09:25 PM
I misread the thread title as "Boone's Bunch." Maybe an improvement? :confused:

mbn007
12-06-17, 09:57 AM
By bringing back Rothschild, and if the hitting coaches are also retained, then get a bullpen coach like Mike Harkey, and you are basically set as far as the experience factor goes.

This is all without including Tony Pena, if he is still under consideration for bench coach or to remain as 1B coach.

Snatch Catch
12-06-17, 10:13 AM
Olney posting what we've all been speculating, which means there's something at least being discussed behind the scenes...

Buster Olney‏ @Buster_ESPN 17m17 minutes ago
Eric Wedge would be a great bench coach candidate for the Yankees, given his knowledge, experience, history with Aaron Boone

hairnovaaa
12-06-17, 10:19 AM
Boone will wear #17, for those who like that sorta thing.

mbn007
12-06-17, 10:33 AM

Good.

Enough with that #28 stuff. That was a sad reminder that we did not win the WS for 8 years.

Yankees1962
12-06-17, 10:40 AM
It depends where they're coaching, he already will have a very experienced pitching coach and I'm sure the eventual bench coach will also be very experienced. If these two are the first and third base coaches, I don't think experience matters much. They definitely need a Spanish speaker or two on the staff, though.

I still don't like the idea of having rookie manager and then having rookie coaches at 1st and 3rd base. However, if Cashman, Boone and the rest of the organization think they can do the job then I'll go with it. I know that Mendoza has some minor league managerial experience so perhaps they're grooming him for bigger things.

BabyBombers
12-06-17, 11:29 AM

I dont get it. We already surpassed 17 championships lol

Wait isnt that Gleyber Torres #? Are we trading him now? lol

Snatch Catch
12-06-17, 11:30 AM
Boone has referenced his coaching staff multiple times in the introductory press conference, no specifics, but he definitely seems to have been putting the staff together already.

Snatch Catch
12-06-17, 11:44 AM
Mark Feinsand‏ @Feinsand 7m7 minutes ago
“Experience is important, but it’s not the be-all, end-all. ... I want smart sitting next to me. I want confident sitting next to me.” - Boone, on the importance of having a bench coach with prior managerial experience.

mbn007
12-06-17, 12:05 PM
“Experience is important, but it’s not the be-all, end-all. ... I want smart sitting next to me. I want confident sitting next to me.” - Boone, on the importance of having a bench coach with prior managerial experience.
Actually, I like that quote.

Yankees1962
12-06-17, 12:30 PM

I loved that portion of the press conference.

Krall
12-06-17, 01:05 PM
Should get Torre as bench coach then we will have twins.

BennyTheJetRodriguez
12-07-17, 10:43 AM
There is zero chance he hires Brett...right?

I know its not likely, but I'm a Bills fan still traumatized by Rex and Rob Ryan...:(

freebubba
12-07-17, 10:58 AM
There is zero chance he hires Brett...right?

I know its not likely, but I'm a Bills fan still traumatized by Rex and Rob Ryan...:(

Aaron separated himself from Brett after Brett's twitter debacle regarding sexual harassment.

jon abbey
12-07-17, 12:10 PM

Interesting that these guys are both only in their thirties, NY may really be going young on their coaching staff.

ElDandy
12-07-17, 10:18 PM
Josh Bard, an old teammate of Aaron Boone’s, has interviewed to join the Yankees’ coaching staff, multiple industry sources told The Post.

While it couldn’t be determined for which role Bard is in contention, he would appear to fit the profile Boone, who played with Bard on the 2005 Indians, described on Wednesday for his bench coach.

-------

Bard, 39, has spent the past five seasons working for the Dodgers, the Yankees’ West Coast twin when it comes to combining big finances with big analytics. He worked as a special assistant to the front office in 2013 and a professional scout in 2014 and 2015 and served as the team’s bullpen coach under manager Dave Roberts in 2016 and 2017.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/07/ex-teammate-has-shot-for-spot-on-aaron-boones-coaching-staff/

BronxYanks45
12-08-17, 10:49 AM
I dont get it. We already surpassed 17 championships lol

Wait isnt that Gleyber Torres #? Are we trading him now? lol

Maybe he gets #12 when Headley is gone :D

kan_t
12-10-17, 03:48 PM
Following up on some pre-Stanton #Yankees news, Josh Bard's interview last week was to be the bench coach. He did well and has a good chance of getting the job.

https://twitter.com/KenDavidoff/status/939972754316636161

ElDandy
12-10-17, 08:24 PM
George King sort of kind of co-signing Davidoff's work:

Josh Bard, a teammate of Boone’s with the Indians and former big league catcher, impressed during an interview last week and has a good chance to be named Boone’s bench coach and replace Rob Thomson.

The only coach the Yankees have announced returning is pitching coach Larry Rothschild. Bullpen coach Mike Harkey is expected to return, but there is an opening in the third-base coaching box because Joe Espada moved to Houston to be the bench coach. The Yankees have been mum on the future of hitting coaches Alan Cockrell and Marcus Thames as well as first-base coach Tony Pena.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/10/yankees-now-have-some-competition-for-cc-sabathia/

trapper700
12-10-17, 10:40 PM
@Ken_Rosenthal
Josh Bard, 39, will be #Yankees bench coach, sources tell The Athletic. Spent last two seasons as #Dodgers’ bullpen coach, three before that as pro scout and special asst in LAD front office. Teammate of Boone’s with #Indians in ‘05. Possibility first mentioned by @KenDavidoff.

Snatch Catch
12-10-17, 10:44 PM
Cool.

nyy42
12-10-17, 10:52 PM
so we get a bench coach who will help our catchers too. Perfect

Snatch Catch
12-10-17, 10:54 PM
so we get a bench coach who will help our catchers too. Perfect

Great point, I hadn't even considered this.

He was supposedly excellent with the LAD pitchers.

Roberto Kelly
12-10-17, 11:06 PM
Seems like a nice fit

yankeesrule
12-10-17, 11:47 PM
Sounds like Phil Nevin will be the third base coach and Harkey is returning

https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/940095105330900992

Snatch Catch
12-10-17, 11:57 PM
Sounds like Phil Nevin will be the third base coach

Cool. Mr. 1-1 Over Derek Jeter.

Looks like Giants fans felt about Nevin the way we felt about Espada:

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2017/9/19/16337822/sf-giants-rockies-recap

I, too, am eager to rag on my third-base coach after every runner cut down at home. Don’t feel guilty about this impulse. It’s only natural. However, we aren’t watching the other 29 teams around baseball, and it’s possible — probable? — that every fan base complains about their third-base coach.

So we turn to the stats. This isn’t a perfect way to grade a third-base coach. There isn’t a “out made by a dude who stopped running halfway to home, sighed, and lied down in the grass as he waited for the tag” category. But we have the raw number of outs made at home, as well as the number of runners from second who made it home safely. The table should be sortable, but there are no guarantees:

STATS (Click link if you want to see them)

So what does this tell us? That Phil Nevin is very much a third-base coach. These stats were all from before Tuesday night, so he likely leads the league in getting runners thrown out at home on a single, but there’s a catch. The Giants are also hitting way more singles with a runner from second compared to the average team.

Ah, right, well, the other teams are also getting doubles, triples, and the other ones. You know, the ones where the ball goes over the wall. Quadbles. Right, the other teams can hit quadbles with runners on base. The Giants hit singles. So Nevin will have more chances to get a runner thrown out at home.

He’s been about average, in other words. It’s frustrating when a few of them get cut down in close proximity, as has happened in the last two weeks, but he’s probably a normal third-base coach.

pleasepassthesoup
12-10-17, 11:59 PM
Sounds like Phil Nevin will be the third base coach and Harkey is returning

Nevin has 9 years of experience as a minor league manager (1 Indy, 1 AA, 7 AAA) and was the Giants 3B coach in 2017.

yankeesrule
12-11-17, 12:00 AM
Cool. Mr. 1-1 Over Derek Jeter.

Looks like Giants fans felt about Nevin the way we felt about Espada:

https://www.mccoveychronicles.com/2017/9/19/16337822/sf-giants-rockies-recap

Last year was also nevin’s first year as third base coach so I would have to assume he will improve.

justtxyank
12-11-17, 12:04 AM
The only third base coach I ever "liked" was Larry Bowa.

yankeesrule
12-11-17, 12:11 AM
The only third base coach I ever "liked" was Larry Bowa.

I liked Willie Randolph as well, who btw was just interviewed for first base and/or infield coach

trapper700
12-11-17, 12:19 AM
I liked Willie Randolph as well, who btw was just interviewed for first base and/or infield coach

Where did you see that he was interviewed?

flymick24
12-11-17, 12:27 AM
Beltran for hitting coach pls

cleanuphtr24
12-11-17, 06:15 AM
Beltran for hitting coach pls

Or the two guys who did a great job working with the young hitters last year... it's seriously madness if Cockrell and especially Thames don't return.

yankeesrule
12-11-17, 06:37 AM
Where did you see that he was interviewed?

My bad. It seems like google is showing an article from 2015 as being from earlier this week.

fredgmuggs
12-11-17, 09:33 AM
So now that they have a bench, pitching, 3B and bullpen coach how do the rumored Reggie Willits and Carlos Mendoza fit in?

Snatch Catch
12-11-17, 09:53 AM
I like the sound of this.

Joel Sherman‏ @Joelsherman1 8m8 minutes ago
Remember how important Boone said relationship with Sanchez will be? 1 reason Bard was hired as bench coach. He's a former catcher, but also both advanced scouted and was immersed in analytics with #Dodgers. He will be key person with Sanchez. #Yankees

trapper700
12-11-17, 11:46 AM
Matt Kardos‏ @mattkardos

Spoke to a source with knowledge of the situation yesterday, and neither the SWB or Trenton manager has been settled upon as of this moment. Situation is fluid, but Bobby Mitchell is expected at one of the two spots. Would expect some clarity on this in the next week, or so.

hairnovaaa
12-11-17, 02:32 PM
Bryan Hoch:
Aaron Boone said that Josh Bard is his bench coach, Phil Nevin third base coach and Reggie Willits first base coach. Nevin could run spring training, as Rob Thomson did under Joe Girardi.

fredgmuggs
12-11-17, 02:34 PM
Bryan Hoch:
Aaron Boone said that Josh Bard is his bench coach, Phil Nevin third base coach and Reggie Willits first base coach. Nevin could run spring training, as Rob Thomson did under Joe Girardi.

Sounds like Tony Pena will not return.

justtxyank
12-11-17, 02:41 PM
Bryan Hoch:

Willits has been in the organization as a base running coordinator and hitting assistant. I guess they like him.

Snatch Catch
12-11-17, 03:04 PM
Boone basically just said Bard was just like him, except he got to a managerial position first.

H & T
12-11-17, 03:31 PM
George A. King III‏ @GeorgeAKingIII (https://twitter.com/GeorgeAKingIII) 50s50 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/GeorgeAKingIII/status/940332787734863872)
Carlos Mendoza will be announced as the Yankees infield coach who will be in the dugout during games. Marcus Thames and Mike Harkey are likely to named hitting coach and bullpen coach, respectively.

Pakimobzta
12-11-17, 03:36 PM
Sounds like Tony Pena will not return.

Pena is aging really fast. Young man's game.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/6504/tony-pena

JDPNYY
12-11-17, 03:38 PM
Pena is aging really fast. Young man's game.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/player/stats/_/id/6504/tony-pena

The ESPN has his birth date wrong.

H & T
12-11-17, 03:40 PM
The ESPN has his birth date wrong.

Looks pretty bad for 36.

cleanuphtr24
12-11-17, 03:41 PM
George A. King III‏ @GeorgeAKingIII (https://twitter.com/GeorgeAKingIII) 50s50 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/GeorgeAKingIII/status/940332787734863872)
Carlos Mendoza will be announced as the Yankees infield coach who will be in the dugout during games. Marcus Thames and Mike Harkey are likely to named hitting coach and bullpen coach, respectively.

Are they doing away with the assistant hitting coach role?

flymick24
12-11-17, 03:42 PM
Cashman cleaning house and getting a young staff to connect with a young roster... silly millenials

JDPNYY
12-11-17, 03:43 PM
Why Mike Harkey?

Rollo_T
12-11-17, 03:44 PM
George A. King III‏@GeorgeAKingIII

Snatch Catch
12-11-17, 03:44 PM
Why Mike Harkey?

They need to maintain a massive human coach to connect with their massive humans.

pleasepassthesoup
12-11-17, 03:46 PM
Why Mike Harkey?

He was too big to tell that he had been let go.

Gusto
12-11-17, 03:47 PM
Need to hire Hank Aaron to connect to the Aarons

JDPNYY
12-11-17, 03:50 PM
They need to maintain a massive human coach to connect with their massive humans.

These are as good a reasons as I think there could be.

Pakimobzta
12-11-17, 03:51 PM

Should have sent in Kramer to do the job. Give him a World Series ring as compensation.

HelloNewman
12-11-17, 03:53 PM
They need to maintain a massive human coach to connect with their massive humans.Then they should have hired Shaq. I think Shaq would be a pretty good coach, especially if he brought The General with him.

Krall
12-11-17, 06:07 PM
I don't know anything about those guys.

Bard I remember as a player I think. Would have liked to see some kind of managerial experience in the dugout.

yank4life2005
12-11-17, 09:01 PM
Rothschild managed the Rays for a bit.

jon abbey
12-11-17, 09:09 PM
Phil Nevin managed over 1000 games in AAA before coaching 3B for SF last year.

Snatch Catch
12-11-17, 09:22 PM
Do any of these coaches speak Spanish?

EDIT: I guess Carlos Mendoza does. All good.

ElDandy
12-11-17, 09:28 PM
Do any of these coaches speak Spanish?

EDIT: I guess Carlos Mendoza does. All good.

I mean Larry Rothschild has been coaching since the roaring 20s I'd assume he's got enough of a grasp to say a few things.

yankeesrule
12-11-17, 11:09 PM
I don't know anything about those guys.

Bard I remember as a player I think. Would have liked to see some kind of managerial experience in the dugout.

Thames was assistant hitting coach last year. And was on the yankees as a player for a short time. I remember his first ML at bat he hit a homerun into monument park off of I think Randy Johnson back in 2002ish.

Nevins is a gritty old school type and should balance out the player friendly Boone well. Was on the 98 padres we beat. And managed in AA/AAA I think.

albo4lyfe
12-11-17, 11:13 PM
Thames was assistant hitting coach last year. And was on the yankees as a player for a short time. I remember his first ML at bat he hit a homerun into monument park off of I think Randy Johnson back in 2002ish.

Nevins is a gritty old school type and should balance out the player friendly Boone well. Was on the 98 padres we beat. And managed in AA/AAA I think.

I can confirm that it was against the Big Unit.

justtxyank
12-11-17, 11:14 PM
I can confirm that it was against the Big Unit.

One of Michael Kay's favorite stories to repeat during RJ's years here.

Ken711
12-12-17, 06:10 AM
I wonder why they didn't keep Alan Cockrell.

ElDandy
12-12-17, 09:56 AM
I wonder why they didn't keep Alan Cockrell.

Wasn't he basically a Girardi guy? I believe that was the story, right?

cleanuphtr24
12-12-17, 10:35 AM
Wasn't he basically a Girardi guy? I believe that was the story, right?

So was Harkey and he's back.

I wonder if they're moving away from the duel hitting coach approach.

ElDandy
12-12-17, 10:38 AM
So was Harkey and he's back.

I wonder if they're moving away from the duel hitting coach approach.

True but I think we solved the Harkey debate earlier about the team needing to have a big dude who can talk to other like minded big people.

OdiN9
12-12-17, 12:29 PM
Skip Johnson‏
@CoachJohnsonOU
33s33 seconds ago
More
Congratulations to former Sooner great @77ranch on being named the first base coach for the @Yankees #BoomerSooner

Reggiest Willits first base coach.

nyy42
12-12-17, 12:33 PM
Looks pretty bad for 36.

that's his son

nyy42
12-12-17, 12:34 PM
sometimes it's good to add fresh voices in the clubhouse. Bochy did it last year. That's probably why you're not seeing many of the old staff return.

At the same time, it's also good to promote people from within and then bring in younger, fresher guys to replace them. Organization building. Guys like Willits and Mendoza were deserving of a promotion anyways

hairnovaaa
12-12-17, 12:36 PM
I'm completely on board with the new coaching staff.

hairnovaaa
02-06-18, 08:33 AM
Saw this was posted in another thread, but makes more sense here:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DVTWJdwWsAEabHt.jpg:small

hairnovaaa
02-08-18, 11:39 AM
Boone says he was set to join another major-league team in a front-office role before being hired as manager of the Yankees.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2018/02/08/aaron-boone-yankees-manager-stanton-judge/319188002/