PDA

View Full Version : Babe's night on the town costly...

Jimbo
08-24-01, 09:50 PM
On August 29th, 1925 after a night on the town, Babe Ruth shows up late for batting practice. Miller Huggins suspends Ruth and slaps a $5,000 fine on him for disobeying orders on the field and team rules off the field.

In the showdown between the Bambino and the tiny manager, Jake Ruppert backs up his manager. Ruth is forced to apologize before he's reinstated nine days later. The day after his return to the lineup, Ruth hits HR number 300.

Miller Huggins Playing Career:
Played 2B and 3B from 1904 - 1916 with Reds and Cardinals.
Games - 1585
Batting Average .255
HR - 9
RBI - 319

Miller Huggins Career Managerial Record:

Regular Season:
W/L - 1413 - 1134
Winning % - .555

World Series:
W/L - 18 - 15
Winning % - .545

The smart, scrawny 5'6" Huggins was a first-rate second baseman before he became famous for managing the Yankees to their first six pennants and three World Championships.

He was fast and sure-handed afield; his record is dotted with games in which he handled 15 chances, or figured in three double plays. He led the league in putouts, assists, double plays, and fielding once each, and twice in errors.

The Mighty Mite was the ideal leadoff man, a switch-hitter who coaxed 1,002 career walks (four times leading the league) and stole some 50 bases a season (though stolen bases were not tabulated during his six early years with Cincinnati). Not a long-ball hitter, he did have three triples in a game in 1904.

The Cardinals acquired Huggins in 1910. By 1913 he was player-manager, and by 1917 had retired to the bench. He prodded two third-place finishes out of his nondescript team, and guided a green and awkward Rogers Hornsby through his first ML seasons.

Holder of a law degree (though he never practiced) and a shrewd investor in the stock market, Huggins was businessman enough to think he could buy the St. Louis club. His bid rebuffed, he resigned.

Ban Johnson, the opportunistic president of the American League, promptly urged Jacob Ruppert, the Yankees' principal owner, to grab Huggins. The manager's record was not distinguished, but he was a sound baseball man, and Johnson was happy to help steal him from the NL.

Together with imperious Ed Barrow, the GM, Huggins developed the slugging Yankee teams that ended the dead-ball era forever. A mediocre lot when he arrived, they were among the all-time greats at his death.

Though history recalls the pillage of Harry Frazee's Red Sox as the making of the Yankees, Gehrig, Earle Combs, and Tony Lazzeri were discovered elsewhere, and others (Bob Meusel and Herb Pennock, for example) blossomed under Huggins's encouragement and handling.

On September 25th, 1929 three days after turning the team over to coach Art Fletcher, Yankee manager Miller Huggins dies from blood poisoning (erysipelas) at New York's St. Vincent Hospital. He was 49.

Judgment was nearly universal that Huggins was in a managerial class by himself. On the day of his funeral in Cincinnati, the AL would cancel all games. A plaque in his honor was placed in Yankee Stadium's centerfield in 1932.

In the attached rare photo Babe Ruth, manager Miller Huggins, and other Yankees argue with umpire Tommy Connolly after he called Ruth out on a controversial play.

Ruth hit a long fly into the fringe of the crowd that had overflowed onto the field. Sox left-fielder Joe Jackson backed into the crowd, stumbled, and disappeared in the mob. He emerged with the ball, and Connolly ruled Jackson had held the ball "momentarily," and Ruth was out.

Gehrig
08-24-01, 11:14 PM
Great write-up Jimbo !! I love that photo...Is that Bob Meusel with the bat ? I'm thinkin that as he was the tallest of the Yanks back then...

Slippery Elm
08-25-01, 12:57 AM
The AL cancelled all games on the day of his funeral?!

Pete Rozelle and the NFL wouldn't even do as much when Kennedy was killed.
(and don't tell me he was buried on a Monday as that isn't the point).

Jimbo
08-25-01, 08:48 AM
Slippery,
I hear ya...That is why I think football is a waste of time to watch and for all the hyperbole about the history of the NFL it is nothing more than a mass of twisted broken bodies...I hate football.

LONG LIVE BASEBALL!

seahorse
08-25-01, 08:53 AM
Great article and picture Jimbo! Thanks.:cool:

Slippery Elm
08-25-01, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Jimbo
Slippery,
I hear ya...That is why I think football is a waste of time to watch and for all the hyperbole about the history of the NFL it is nothing more than a mass of twisted broken bodies...I hate football.

LONG LIVE BASEBALL!

I like football. But there are SO many players, many whom last for such a short time, plus they wear those helmets; it is hard to develop any real attachment to more than a handful of them, especially as they play only 16 games.

Plus, the number of TV timeouts and other delays for commercials long ago became nauseating. Besides all that, the Giants choked in the Super Bowl, and the Jets ALWAYS choke.

DW Fan
08-26-01, 09:28 PM
Ruth was such a carouser Huggins even hired a private detective to keep on eye on his star.

penguin4
08-28-01, 01:13 AM
Would make sense if it were Meusel.... he batted behind Babe... I mean, he batted 5th, so if the controversial "out" was on a ball batted by the #4 hitter (Gehrig), Meusel would be at the plate/on deck.