PDA

View Full Version : Let's go Islanders! 2017-2018.

ymike673
06-13-17, 09:54 AM
A lot of moves coming up in the next few weeks. Expansion draft. What happens with Tavares?

Donnybaseball72
06-13-17, 11:02 AM
The Isles have one of the best expansion lists for Vegas to choose from. They have no choice but to protect 4 dmen, 4 forwards, 1 goalies instead of 3 dmen, 7 forwards and a goalie which most teams are doing. This means that one the protected Dmen will be Boychuck (NMC), Leddy, Hamonic and one of Pulock or deHaan. Most experts think it will be Pulock protected in spite of playing 1 NHL game last season. de Haan is going into this walk year which might turn Vegas off. It could be worth the gamble.

The protected forwards will JT, Ladd, Lee and 1 of Nelson or Strome.

It sucks to lose any of these guys unless it's Hickey.

ymike673
06-13-17, 11:13 AM
The Isles have one of the best expansion lists for Vegas to choose from. They have no choice but to protect 4 dmen, 4 forwards, 1 goalies instead of 3 dmen, 7 forwards and a goalie which most teams are doing. This means that one the protected Dmen will be Boychuck (NMC), Leddy, Hamonic and one of Pulock or deHaan. Most experts think it will be Pulock protected in spite of playing 1 NHL game last season. de Haan is going into this walk year which might turn Vegas off. It could be worth the gamble.

The protected forwards will JT, Ladd, Lee and 1 of Nelson or Strome.

It sucks to lose any of these guys unless it's Hickey.

Since I think Pulock will be good if ever given a real shot would not mind losing Dahaan. I assume Berube will be left unprotected. Would not mind losing him either.

ymike673
06-13-17, 11:14 AM
Ha-ha, guess no chance we could lose Snow in the expansion draft.

Donnybaseball72
06-13-17, 04:09 PM
Not that it matters but Berube is an UFA. I mind losing Da Haan. He finished the season arguably as the 2nd best defenseman on the Islanders.

Donnybaseball72
06-19-17, 08:49 AM
5 defensemen protected (Leddy. Boychuck, Hamonic, Pelech, Pulock). A 1st round pick is being traded to Vegas to lay off any unprotected forwards (Nelson, Strome, Bailey, Zeeker)

So they will probably take da Haan or Halak or Hickey.

Garth must really like Pelech because fans are destroying him on message boards. I'm thinking that there isn't room under the cap to resign da Haan and it will suck to lose him after the season he had but someone has to go and they are deep at Defense. But losing the 1st round pick is a head scratcher.

ymike673
06-19-17, 02:18 PM
5 defensemen protected (Leddy. Boychuck, Hamonic, Pelech, Pulock). A 1st round pick is being traded to Vegas to lay off any unprotected forwards (Nelson, Strome, Bailey, Zeeker)

So they will probably take da Haan or Halak or Hickey.

Garth must really like Pelech because fans are destroying him on message boards. I'm thinking that there isn't room under the cap to resign da Haan and it will suck to lose him after the season he had but someone has to go and they are deep at Defense. But losing the 1st round pick is a head scratcher.

They can only lose one player so why give up a first round pick? Head scratcher but it is Garth still running things.

philleotardo
06-19-17, 10:34 PM
Staple is suggesting something along the lines of Isles sending 1st rounder and Grabovski's dead weight to Vegas, Vegas selects Kulemin. Cap space freed up allows pursuit of Eberle, Duchene or Galchenyuk (w/ Hamonic heading out).

Donnybaseball72
06-20-17, 10:05 AM
Staple is suggesting something along the lines of Isles sending 1st rounder and Grabovski's dead weight to Vegas, Vegas selects Kulemin. Cap space freed up allows pursuit of Eberle, Duchene or Galchenyuk (w/ Hamonic heading out).

If this happens then Garth is smarter than we think. 15th overall pick in a weak draft to gain $9.1 million in cap space while not losing 1 core player is pretty sweet. I like Kulemin but he is a .25 ppg player making $4 million a year. However it does make the Seidenberg resign look like overkill.

ymike673
06-20-17, 02:21 PM
If this happens then Garth is smarter than we think. 15th overall pick in a weak draft to gain $9.1 million in cap space while not losing 1 core player is pretty sweet. I like Kulemin but he is a .25 ppg player making $4 million a year. However it does make the Seidenberg resign look like overkill.

That would be pretty smart. Let's see if that actually happens. I notice Tavares has been pretty quiet lately.

philleotardo
06-21-17, 09:16 PM
Kulemin not involved

Arthur Staple‏Verified account @StapeNewsday

#Isles send their 1st rounder this season, 2019 second-rounder, Mikhail Grabovski and D Jake Bischoff to have Vegas select G J-F Berube

ymike673
06-22-17, 11:33 AM
I think we can all agree losing Berube not a bad thing.

Donnybaseball72
06-22-17, 11:58 AM
I think we can all agree losing Berube not a bad thing.

I am pleased it was him but I don't get it. Berube is an UFA. With two goalies ahead of him on the depth chart he could just bolt for Europe or sign with another team. Now I don't expect any team to hand him anything more than a 2 -way deal with little chance of making the NHL squad but the fact that he can entertain offers on 7/1 makes the pick from Vegas odd.

ymike673
06-22-17, 01:20 PM
I am pleased it was him but I don't get it. Berube is an UFA. With two goalies ahead of him on the depth chart he could just bolt for Europe or sign with another team. Now I don't expect any team to hand him anything more than a 2 -way deal with little chance of making the NHL squad but the fact that he can entertain offers on 7/1 makes the pick from Vegas odd.

Maybe Vegas liked what the Islanders offered so much that taking Berube was ok.

ymike673
06-22-17, 01:21 PM
Islanders trade Ryan Strome to the Oilers for Jordan Eberle.

Donnybaseball72
06-22-17, 02:05 PM
Islanders trade Ryan Strome to the Oilers for Jordan Eberle.

Wow. Party on Garth!

ymike673
06-24-17, 12:38 PM
So Garth trades Hamonic away for picks in the next two drafts. He could have got Taylor Hall for Hamonic before last season. So I can go back to disliking Snow. The worst GM in NY.

HelloNewman
06-25-17, 12:36 PM
The worst GM in NY.Mike Maccagnan?

ymike673
06-25-17, 06:23 PM
Mike Maccagnan?

He has not been the Jets GM for 12 years like Snow has been with the Isles.

CanoForPresident
06-25-17, 07:20 PM
He has not been the Jets GM for 12 years like Snow has been with the Isles.

................ its been THAT long?!?

FWIW, I think Snow did really well on the Hamonic trade. You can point to Hall and say "hey we could have had that guy!" but he really maximized his value on a guy who not only had a rough season, but hasn't been very good for a while now.

philleotardo
06-25-17, 07:23 PM
................ its been THAT long?!?

FWIW, I think Snow did really well on the Hamonic trade. You can point to Hall and say "hey we could have had that guy!" but he really maximized his value on a guy who not only had a rough season, but hasn't been very good for a while now.

And can never stay healthy. I don't want Hamonic to go, but it's more emotional than rational. And it should not only give Pulock a longer look, but maybe give Toews a shot at some point.

Donnybaseball72
06-25-17, 08:20 PM
Sorry Mike but Snow had a very good week. Losing only a 3rd goalie and a forward who has reoccuring concussions and a giant cap hit in the expansion draft, picking up Eberle and then much needed draft picks for Hamonic who had a bad year are all good moves. Also not giving up Barzel for Duchene is a wise move as well.

ymike673
06-25-17, 10:55 PM
Sorry Mike but Snow had a very good week. Losing only a 3rd goalie and a forward who has reoccuring concussions and a giant cap hit in the expansion draft, picking up Eberle and then much needed draft picks for Hamonic who had a bad year are all good moves. Also not giving up Barzel for Duchene is a wise move as well.

I liked what he did with the draft and the Eberle trade. I was not against trading Hamonic. Was just hoping he would get a player that could help us next season in the deal. Snow has had plenty of draft picks over the years and still the Isles have one playoff round win to show for his 12+ years as GM.

HelloNewman
07-06-17, 06:32 PM
He has not been the Jets GM for 12 years like Snow has been with the Isles.That's true but Mccagnan has been able to do a breathtaking amount of damage in just a few short years. His predecessor Idzik was notoriously awful on personnel but his one redeeming feature was that he lowered the payroll and left his successor swimming in cap space. Mccagnan has already managed to blow through that cap space and yet still amass a roster that's probably even less talented than the one Idzik left behind. That's impressive.

ymike673
07-07-17, 12:24 PM
That's true but Mccagnan has been able to do a breathtaking amount of damage in just a few short years. His predecessor Idzik was notoriously awful on personnel but his one redeeming feature was that he lowered the payroll and left his successor swimming in cap space. Mccagnan has already managed to blow through that cap space and yet still amass a roster that's probably even less talented than the one Idzik left behind. That's impressive.

Everything you say is true. But the difference is McCagnan will probably be replaced if no results in the next few seasons. Can we say the same about Snow? He has been here 12 years with one playoff round victory to show for it.

Donnybaseball72
10-02-17, 01:58 PM
Getting excited for the season. 6-0-2 preseason looks good on paper but they need to continue this progress early into the season. With experienced goaltending and exciting young players this season should be fun to watch.

Best case: Belmont site awarded to Ledecky and Malkin, JT is happy and resigns for 8 years while Barzal and Ho-Sang fight each other for the Calder as the Isles sneak into the top 3 in the Metro division.

Worst case: Belmont is awarded to a flippen soccer team, JT is pissed and decides to explore free agency, Halak turns into a pumpkin and the defense implodes.

ymike673
10-03-17, 10:54 AM
Getting excited for the season. 6-0-2 preseason looks good on paper but they need to continue this progress early into the season. With experienced goaltending and exciting young players this season should be fun to watch.

Best case: Belmont site awarded to Ledecky and Malkin, JT is happy and resigns for 8 years while Barzal and Ho-Sang fight each other for the Calder as the Isles sneak into the top 3 in the Metro division.

Worst case: Belmont is awarded to a flippen soccer team, JT is pissed and decides to explore free agency, Halak turns into a pumpkin and the defense implodes.

Costco has also put in a bid for the property.

philleotardo
10-06-17, 08:34 PM
I was hoping for good news away from the Yankees. Blech.

Donnybaseball72
10-07-17, 08:57 AM
Seidenberg has no business being on the ice. He was god awful. The 2nd goal was all on his poor passing. They better win tonight at home.

ymike673
10-07-17, 11:10 AM
Well things have to be better tonight. Columbus has become a mine field for the Isles. I believe they have been out scored 16-0 the last three games they played there.

ymike673
10-07-17, 08:54 PM
Off to a better start against Buffalo tonight.

Donnybaseball72
10-07-17, 10:00 PM
First 6 goal home opener since 1992. Cizikas and JT with 2 goals each. Keep Seidenberg in the press box.

ymike673
10-08-17, 12:29 AM
First 6 goal home opener since 1992. Cizikas and JT with 2 goals each. Keep Seidenberg in the press box.

5 shorthanded goals in the game. Wonder when the last time that happened in a game?

ymike673
10-15-17, 01:34 AM
Nice win tonight at San Jose. Still no PP goal this season. Kind of like waiting for a Yankees DH to get a playoff base hit.

philleotardo
10-19-17, 08:14 PM
Barzal!

ymike673
10-20-17, 11:41 AM
With last night's victory Isles have now beaten the Rangers in 8 of their last 9 meetings. Nice to know there is one team we can beat.

ymike673
10-22-17, 10:20 AM
Off to a better start than last season. All the better since last season they started out with tons of home games and did not take advantage of them.

Donnybaseball72
10-22-17, 05:56 PM
There was a nice setup by Leddy on Lee's goal and Bailey had his play of the year on his steal, deke, backhanded goal.

philleotardo
10-22-17, 05:57 PM
Thoughts on 7 D?

Donnybaseball72
10-22-17, 07:21 PM
Thoughts on 7 D?

It can't last. Weight is asking too much of his top line to have to double shift. Sit Pelech and let Pulock play as part of a regular pair.

ymike673
10-23-17, 04:18 PM
Isles three points out of first place. Long way to go but nice to see.

ymike673
10-23-17, 04:19 PM
Thoughts on 7 D?

I really hope Pulock stays even if they go back to 6 D men.

ymike673
10-25-17, 12:44 PM
Third place, two points out of first. Much better start than last season.

Donnybaseball72
10-25-17, 02:42 PM
JT hat trick. Pelech the youngest Islander defenseman to have a 3 assist game since Kenny Jonnson. Halak really pissed me off but the team responded by attacking until more goals went in.

According to Art Staple Ho-Sang is going to the AHL. It make sense since he is a regular scratch and is only 21. Fix his flaws and bring him back. I don't know if a forward is coming up to take his spot. Without JHS there are only 12 forward on the roster.

Staple also thinks that Seidenberg will be waived. He is the 8th defenseman and Snow probably can't find a trade partner. There are plenty of young defenseman in the AHL who could take his place if needed.

ymike673
10-30-17, 01:16 PM
Tavares named the NHL #1 star for last week! Congrats JT.

philleotardo
10-30-17, 09:41 PM
Tavares named the NHL #1 star for last week! Congrats JT.

I feel like there's no chance we're re-signing him. Am I crazy?

Donnybaseball72
10-30-17, 10:05 PM

No chance? Why wouldn't the Islanders have a chance to resign him? I think he resigns.

ymike673
10-30-17, 10:05 PM

Don't want to think about that right now. Another big win tonight and two more goals from JT.

philleotardo
10-30-17, 10:20 PM
Don't want to think about that right now. Another big win tonight and two more goals from JT.

Yeah, not to kill the moment......they've been scoring in bunches.

Donnybaseball72
11-03-17, 10:02 AM
We absolutely outplayed the Crapitols and should have won without Halak giving the game away with two ugly softies. Goaltending is becoming the weakest link on this team. The offense is there and this team can only go so far with halfway decent goaltending. Greiss needs to reclaim the #1 job quickly.

ymike673
11-03-17, 11:04 AM
Not.blaming Halal. Problem was more the Caps might have the league's best goaltender. Anyone else in goal for them last night and the Isles win. But Isles did get two more PP goals and played hard so there were positives to take from the game.

Donnybaseball72
11-03-17, 12:13 PM
Not.blaming Halal. Problem was more the Caps might have the league's best goaltender. Anyone else in goal for them last night and the Isles win. But Isles did get two more PP goals and played hard so there were positives to take from the game.

Halak gave up 4 goals on 19 shots.

EvanJ
11-16-17, 10:13 PM
Johnny Boychuk became the first Islander in almost 15 years to be +5 or better. He was on the ice for all 5 of the Islanders non-power play goals in their 6-4 win hosting Carolina. The last Islanders to be +5 or better were Jason Wiemer and Dave Scatchard on November 21, 2002. He became the first Islander defenseman to be +5 or better since Joe Reekie on March 28, 1990. He became the second Islander defenseman since 1987-1988 (as far back as the hockey-reference Play Index goes) to be +5 or better and score at least 1 goal. The last Islander to do that was Denis Potvin on January 14, 1988.

ymike673
11-17-17, 01:01 AM
Johnny Boychuk became the first Islander in almost 15 years to be +5 or better. He was on the ice for all 5 of the Islanders non-power play goals in their 6-4 win hosting Carolina. The last Islanders to be +5 or better were Jason Wiemer and Dave Scatchard on November 21, 2002. He became the first Islander defenseman to be +5 or better since Joe Reekie on March 28, 1990. He became the second Islander defenseman since 1987-1988 (as far back as the hockey-reference Play Index goes) to be +5 or better and score at least 1 goal. The last Islander to do that was Denis Potvin on January 14, 1988.

You do this for hockey too? Outstanding. Nice comeback win for the Isles tonight.

philleotardo
11-18-17, 09:35 PM
Phew.

ymike673
11-19-17, 01:30 PM
Managed to hold on for a big win last night. A win today and Islanders shoot to the top of the Division.

ymike673
11-23-17, 11:19 AM
Still the only team not to have a regulation loss at home this season. Guess the so called "Bad Ice" not a problem so far. Tavares was unbelievable getting the puck to Bailey for the OT winner last night.

Donnybaseball72
11-24-17, 08:54 AM
Still the only team not to have a regulation loss at home this season. Guess the so called "Bad Ice" not a problem so far. Tavares was unbelievable getting the puck to Bailey for the OT winner last night.

I was at the game. Half filled crowd but the fans were very into the game. The fan base has gotten younger and more hipster. Not as many middle aged guys from the burbs with their kids as a Saturday game at the NVMC. The first goal by Barzal was awesome as was the game winner which will go down in Islander history as one of the best stick moves by Tavares.

ymike673
11-24-17, 10:07 AM
I was at the game. Half filled crowd but the fans were very into the game. The fan base has gotten younger and more hipster. Not as many middle aged guys from the burbs with their kids as a Saturday game at the NVMC. The first goal by Barzal was awesome as was the game winner which will go down in Islander history as one of the best stick moves by Tavares.

Announced attendance of over 12,000 so more than half full. I was there too and due to problems with the LIRR crowd arrived late. One reason for the low attendance is the Islanders really do not promote the team in Brooklyn. Now I know this is because they plan a new arena at Belmont so why spend the money but if they really had planned to be here long term there would have been ways to raise the attendance.

philleotardo
11-24-17, 10:09 AM
2nd behind TB in goals per game.

ymike673
11-24-17, 10:10 AM
Islanders have registered at least one point in their first 9 home games this season. Last time this was accomplished by the Islanders was back in the 78-79 season.

Donnybaseball72
11-24-17, 06:52 PM
Squeaked out another OT win against Philthy. Now in 2nd place.

ymike673
11-25-17, 12:22 AM
Getting a win after two goals down in the third. This team is really turning into something special. In second place now.

Donnybaseball72
12-08-17, 10:46 AM
The Islanders have a goaltending problem. They have a top 1-3 offense and can score on anymore but can't keep giving up 4-6 goals a game. Only the Oilers of the 80's got away with this.

ymike673
12-09-17, 03:08 PM
The Islanders have a goaltending problem. They have a top 1-3 offense and can score on anymore but can't keep giving up 4-6 goals a game. Only the Oilers of the 80's got away with this.

Not to mention at the bottom in penalty killing and winning faceoffs.

Donnybaseball72
12-19-17, 01:31 PM
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/report-islanders-awarded-belmont-site-for-new-arena/263622002

Belmont was awarded to the Islanders! Now resign Tavares.

ymike673
12-19-17, 01:51 PM
https://www.sny.tv/islanders/news/report-islanders-awarded-belmont-site-for-new-arena/263622002

Press conference tomorrow. Wonder if something will be announced at Barclays this week.

yankeesrule
12-19-17, 03:02 PM

Woot!

So two questions-

How long before Nassau coliseum goes bankrupt? Considering they wonít get any shows I give it under 5 years from the arena opening.

More importantly, where do the islanders play for the one or two years between the Barclays contract ending and the new arena being completed? I doubt Barclays or the coliseum will be open to them playing there considering they are opening a competing venue.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-19-17, 04:36 PM
More importantly, where do the islanders play for the one or two years between the Barclays contract ending and the new arena being completed? I doubt Barclays or the coliseum will be open to them playing there considering they are opening a competing venue.
I'm sure either will be open to them under favorable enough financial terms.

Donnybaseball72
12-19-17, 04:56 PM
Woot!

So two questions-

How long before Nassau coliseum goes bankrupt? Considering they wonít get any shows I give it under 5 years from the arena opening.

They really screwed up rebuilding the arena only after the Islanders left, then reducing the size, then thinking it was suitable for the Islanders to return. What events are currently booked there? Concerts, Ice shows? Any college teams play there? They need to attract a minor league hockey team, NBDL or NLL team.

ymike673
12-19-17, 05:10 PM
Woot!

So two questions-

I assume Isles will stay at Barclays until the new arena is ready. Since new lease has to be renegotiated by January 1st I think we will know those details soon.

ymike673
12-19-17, 05:12 PM
They really screwed up rebuilding the arena only after the Islanders left, then reducing the size, then thinking it was suitable for the Islanders to return. What events are currently booked there? Concerts, Ice shows? Any college teams play there? They need to attract a minor league hockey team, NBDL or NLL team.

The real screw up was not putting the Belmont site up for bids 5 years ago. Isles could have then stayed at the Coliseum and might have been in the new arena by now.

Mr. Mxylsplk
12-19-17, 05:33 PM
What events are currently booked there? Concerts, Ice shows? Any college teams play there? They need to attract a minor league hockey team, NBDL or NLL team.
Their prime tenant seems to be the Nets minor league team. (And yes, one could argue the Brooklyn Nets are minor league, but that's not who we're talking about). Some college basketball (Hofstra for big games), concerts, other general stuff. It's not a bustling calendar, and if they lose much to Belmont, you'd have to think they'll be in massive trouble.

yankeesrule
12-19-17, 06:49 PM
I assume Isles will stay at Barclays until the new arena is ready. Since new lease has to be renegotiated by January 1st I think we will know those details soon.

That’s actually the reason I think they won’t be at Barclays. I’m assuming even after the RFP is made official there are still a bunch of steps before they can break ground, for example finding and hiring a construction crew, a general contractor, etc. there’s always environmental reviews related to the construction itself that I don’t think is part of the RFP. Because of that, the opening date for the new arena will be estimated, but anything but definite. So it will be hard to put a lease in writing with a hard date.

And considering the coliseum is owned by Barclays and the Isles are opening a new one that will almost definitely bankrupt it, I’m not so sure how accommodating they will be to a lease with much flexibility. Especially considering there will be a new competing arena opening, I can imagine Yormark would want as many dates open to build relationships with whoever runs Disney on Ice, Cirque de Soleil, etc so they will stay there rather than go to the Belmont arena.

I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if for one year the Isles need to share Prudential Center and/or MSG like the Yanks did with Shea in the 70s. Could you imagine the Isles lifting the cup at MSG? Lol.

yankeesrule
12-19-17, 08:42 PM
Town residents are planning a lawsuit to stop the Arena. Doubt this will lead to anything but it will surely slow things down a bit.

http://libn.com/2017/12/19/elmont-residents-plan-lawsuit-to-stop-belmont-arena/

ymike673
12-19-17, 08:49 PM
Thatís actually the reason I think they wonít be at Barclays. Iím assuming even after the RFP is made official there are still a bunch of steps before they can break ground, for example finding and hiring a construction crew, a general contractor, etc. thereís always environmental reviews related to the construction itself that I donít think is part of the RFP. Because of that, the opening date for the new arena will be estimated, but anything but definite. So it will be hard to put a lease in writing with a hard date.

And considering the coliseum is owned by Barclays and the Isles are opening a new one that will almost definitely bankrupt it, Iím not so sure how accommodating they will be to a lease with much flexibility. Especially considering there will be a new competing arena opening, I can imagine Yormark would want as many dates open to build relationships with whoever runs Disney on Ice, Cirque de Soleil, etc so they will stay there rather than go to the Belmont arena.

I honestly wouldnít be surprised if for one year the Isles need to share Prudential Center and/or MSG like the Yanks did with Shea in the 70s. Could you imagine the Isles lifting the cup at MSG? Lol.

I am thinking it will be a year to year lease where the Islanders pay rent to Barclays.

ymike673
12-22-17, 01:18 PM
Isles now only 3 points out of the cellar. You can't give up 5 goals every game and win.

Donnybaseball72
12-22-17, 02:20 PM
When you think about how horrific this goaltending is just look up DiPietro's stats from 09-13. Now those teams were in a perpetual rebuild with a bottom ranking payroll with Roloson helping to ease DP's woos. But to have both goaltenders be so subpar, with no solution in the AHL (both Bridgeport goalies sport a sub .900 sv%) while at the same time possessing the 2nd best offense in the NHL is gutpunching. It will be such a wasted opportunity with JT and Bailey in their walk years to miss the playoffs because they cannot stop the puck from going into the net. :(

ymike673
12-22-17, 10:58 PM
When you think about how horrific this goaltending is just look up DiPietro's stats from 09-13. Now those teams were in a perpetual rebuild with a bottom ranking payroll with Roloson helping to ease DP's woos. But to have both goaltenders be so subpar, with no solution in the AHL (both Bridgeport goalies sport a sub .900 sv%) while at the same time possessing the 2nd best offense in the NHL is gutpunching. It will be such a wasted opportunity with JT and Bailey in their walk years to miss the playoffs because they cannot stop the puck from going into the net. :(

The goaltending has been bad but I don't see the defense really helping either. So now that we are getting a world class arena how about after 14 years dumping our backup goaltender GM and look for a better guy to get this team to the next level.

Donnybaseball72
12-23-17, 11:46 AM
The goaltending has been bad but I don't see the defense really helping either. So now that we are getting a world class arena how about after 14 years dumping our backup goaltender GM and look for a better guy to get this team to the next level.

Snow's recent moves have looked good. Eberlee for Strome. Reinhart for Barzal and Beavy. Everyone applauded the Greiss extension. Only losing Berube and Grabovski in the expansion draft. If he resigns JT and Bailey I can't see him getting fired.

__starr69
12-24-17, 05:38 PM
Snow's recent moves have looked good. Eberlee for Strome. Reinhart for Barzal and Beavy. Everyone applauded the Greiss extension. Only losing Berube and Grabovski in the expansion draft. If he resigns JT and Bailey I can't see him getting fired.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

ymike673
12-24-17, 09:59 PM
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

He has been the GM for 14 years and Isles have won one playoff round. On no other team would he have lasted this long. Plus I believe he has only made three in season trades in his 14 years as GM. Should we also give him credit for drafting JT?

ymike673
12-28-17, 04:25 PM
Boychuk on injured reserved list. Defensemen dropping like flies.

Donnybaseball72
12-28-17, 04:30 PM
Boychuk on injured reserved list. Defensemen dropping like flies.

Aho called up to make his NHL debut. Hopefully he does well so we don't see any more of Seidenberg.

ymike673
12-28-17, 06:53 PM
Aho called up to make his NHL debut. Hopefully he does well so we don't see any more of Seidenberg.

Doubt it. Weight likes to rotate the D men. Last night Pulock sat so Seidenberg could play. Aho being called up will not change that.

Donnybaseball72
12-28-17, 08:13 PM
Doubt it. Weight likes to rotate the D men. Last night Pulock sat so Seidenberg could play. Aho being called up will not change that.

Capuano is not the coach anymore. Aho will get his shot. No one outside of Leddy is guaranteed to play every night.

ymike673
12-29-17, 10:24 AM
Capuano is not the coach anymore. Aho will get his shot. No one outside of Leddy is guaranteed to play every night.

My point is Aho being called up will not cut Siedenberg's ice time. I am sure Weight will give Aho a fair shot.

philleotardo
12-29-17, 12:52 PM
Whatever the case, Aho is not active tonight.

ymike673
01-01-18, 09:37 AM
Islanders can't seem to win a road game anymore.

ymike673
01-04-18, 10:35 PM
Another 20 minute effort leads to another loss. Has this team learned anything from last season?

Donnybaseball72
01-06-18, 09:43 AM
I am completely losing my patience with this team. First the Giants and now the Islanders. Uncle!!! Just win a friggen game! This team misses da Haan baddly. He is the one who should have been resigned, not a 5 year deal for Mayfield.

On the bright side Keifer Bellows broke Jeremy Roenik's World Juniors record for most goals scored in one tournament with 9 goals. We could use him right now.

ymike673
01-06-18, 09:53 AM
Now only a few points better than last season at this time. If they end up missing the playoffs again maybe like the Giants Isles could finally sack Snow and replace him with a competent GM. 14 seasons. 1 playoff round win under Snow.

Donnybaseball72
01-06-18, 10:11 AM
Now only a few points better than last season at this time. If they end up missing the playoffs again maybe like the Giants Isles could finally sack Snow and replace him with a competent GM. 14 seasons. 1 playoff round win under Snow.

From what I have read is that Wang have Snow an unfireable extension. Something that includes a clause that Wang would regain part ownership if Snow is fired. Snow is not going anywhere yet. If he can resign JT and Bailey I think he is secure. Weight on the other hand needs to turn this around. He is still an unproven coach.

ymike673
01-06-18, 01:39 PM
From what I have read is that Wang have Snow an unfireable extension. Something that includes a clause that Wang would regain part ownership if Snow is fired. Snow is not going anywhere yet. If he can resign JT and Bailey I think he is secure. Weight on the other hand needs to turn this around. He is still an unproven coach.

Other than Ted Nolan every coach the Isles have hired over the last 20 years has had no NHL coaching experience. Just like our great backup goaltender GM. Can't believe Ledecky and Co. would have alowed such a stupid clause in Snow's contract.

Donnybaseball72
01-11-18, 10:56 AM
Congrats to Josh Bailey for a well deserved 1st allstar nod.

ymike673
01-11-18, 01:32 PM
Congrats to Josh Bailey for a well deserved 1st allstar nod.

Yes, Too bad he probably will not be able to play in the game.

EvanJ
01-13-18, 03:44 PM
In a 7-2 win at the Rangers, Mathew Barzal had 2 goals, 3 assists, and +5. He's 20, and he became the first Islander during his life to have a game with at least 5 points and +5 or better. The last Islander to do that was Niklas Andersson on December 10, 1996.

ymike673
01-13-18, 05:52 PM
Great game coming off the break. Halak was sharp again and Barzal gets better every game. Hopefully Cizikas was not hurt to bad. And going back to last season fifth straight win over the Rangers.