PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Texas

April
06-20-16, 10:57 PM
Hi, my name is April and this is only my second season of following MLB. I live in San Antonio, Texas with my (please don't hate me!) Red Sox fan husband. To be perfectly honest, I'm a bit intimidated coming in here, so I hope to at least make some nice acquaintances here. You see, after spending 2015 helping my husband support his team of choice, I'm not really sure that's what I want for myself.

This is how it is for me. Ever since I was a young girl, I have always appreciated baseball and have had a romanticized view of it. Having grown up in Texas, though, I didn't have a strong upbringing with the game (or any particular team). As you may well know, people are fairly obsessed with football here. Well, I don't like football. I unfortunately grew up with very little knowledge of baseball and it took me a long time to finally start learning about it.

I am not attached to either Texas team. I have no ties to Houston or the Dallas area and frankly, I much prefer to root for a team with more history. I have always admired the Yankees for their iconic presence in the MLB, but when I first started getting into all this, all I kept reading everywhere was don't be a Yankees fan. Everyone hates them, you'll just look like a bandwagon fan, etc. so I just stayed away. Of course my husband had his own agenda lol.

So, I guess I'm here because I want to learn more about the Yankees. Not just the team, but the fans. I want to know what you guys are like, and what you might think of someone like me. Would I be a welcome addition to the fan base, or am I more likely to be ridiculed as a poser and outsider?

Thanks for your time.

Ram Man
06-22-16, 08:53 AM
(please don't hate me!)

No one hates you ... we hate HIM! (Actually no one hates anyone).

Would I be a welcome addition to the fan base, or am I more likely to be ridiculed as a poser and outsider?

As long as you don't act like a poser and outsider, you'll be fine. :)

If you are commenting on the team's performance, the front office performance or a player performance, just know what you're talking about. If you, for example, insist that a player's stats don't matter and that "winning is the only stat" then you might have a hard time.

April
06-24-16, 09:47 PM
No one hates you ... we hate HIM! (Actually no one hates anyone).

As long as you don't act like a poser and outsider, you'll be fine. :)

If you are commenting on the team's performance, the front office performance or a player performance, just know what you're talking about. If you, for example, insist that a player's stats don't matter and that "winning is the only stat" then you might have a hard time.

Thanks. This makes me feel better. I'm pretty humble and quiet about baseball, so I don't think my mouth or attitude is likely to get me into trouble. I'm a newbie and I know it lol so it'll be good just hanging out here with all of you as I learn.

NJ Fan
06-24-16, 10:17 PM
Welcome, April.

http://www.danburymint.com/secure/Content/ImagesProducts/4b62fabb-dc0e-4621-94ba-7a1c8fddedc0_400_0.jpg

April
06-25-16, 09:07 PM
Welcome, April.

Thank you very much! :)

ojo
07-04-16, 09:14 AM
Welcome aboard!