PDA

View Full Version : Massive Decision in O'Bannon Case

ruthianblast
08-08-14, 11:13 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24653888/obannon-decision-signals-the-end-of-the-collegiate-model

This is not really a shocker considering how much money there is funneling through the NCAA basketball and football programs, but still a huge change. The NCAA, if it's making money of a player is now required to compensate that player.

The makes the big money schools even stronger in my opinion.

For the SEC, business as usual.

dabomb2045
08-08-14, 11:57 PM
I like this decision. If a student athlete is responsible for helping bringing in massive amounts of money to a university then they should be compensated for it. I remember watching the Fab Five documentary, and Mitch Albom recalled a story where he was walking down the street with Chris Webber and they walked past a store that was selling his Michigan jersey. He asked the question "if the school can profit of me, and I am bringing in this money, why cant I get a piece of that? why am I barely able to afford going to McDonalds while I get profitted off of?". He's right.

Yes I'm aware these guys get scholarships. So do alot of students. Most of those do not generate revenue for the university the way a star athlete does. Just a fact.

ruthianblast
08-09-14, 12:18 AM
I like this decision. If a student athlete is responsible for helping bringing in massive amounts of money to a university then they should be compensated for it. I remember watching the Fab Five documentary, and Mitch Albom recalled a story where he was walking down the street with Chris Webber and they walked past a store that was selling his Michigan jersey. He asked the question "if the school can profit of me, and I am bringing in this money, why cant I get a piece of that? why am I barely able to afford going to McDonalds while I get profitted off of?". He's right.

Yes I'm aware these guys get scholarships. So do alot of students. Most of those do not generate revenue for the university the way a star athlete does. Just a fact.

I totally agree with the decision. Should have happened years ago. Even with this, the money is still deferred though and a max of $4K a year.

RhodyYanksFan
08-18-14, 12:20 PM
I'm really mixed on this issue.

So are only football and basketball players at schools that make money going to be compensated? Or did the ruling state that all student athletes must be compensated? If that's the case I don't really agree. Probably 100 schools actually make money off football and less than that make money off basketball. These sports subsidize the other 10-15 sports a school has that lose money. If you're Johns Hopkins and the sport that makes money is lacrosse, will those player be paid? Who decides?