Gehrig
08-17-01, 03:54 PM
Huh ?...:eek:

Michaels07
08-17-01, 03:58 PM
Large hand in the Mitt?

Bozidar
08-17-01, 04:04 PM
It's taken from 3 steps in front of the plate?
Did reporters used to run on to the field and take pictures, or was this one staged?

SanFrANSKY
08-17-01, 05:41 PM
Well, that's a home uniform (pinstripes) but I don't think this pic was taken at Yankee Stadium. It coulda been somewhere else. Also, the pinstripe unis didn't say "New York" on them. The early ones said "Yankees" and later they had the :NY:

So that would mean the Babe is wearing the wrong uniform in this pic.

Bozidar
08-17-01, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY
Well, that's a home uniform (pinstripes) but I don't think this pic was taken at Yankee Stadium. It coulda been somewhere else. Also, the pinstripe unis didn't say "New York" on them. The early ones said "Yankees" and later they had the :NY:

So that would mean the Babe is wearing the wrong uniform in this pic. He played at the Polo grounds too, didn't he? Not just at Yankee Stadium.

seahorse
08-17-01, 06:11 PM
What Ansky said - it's a home uni that has writing on it - that's a no-no. :cool:

Gehrig
08-17-01, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by SanFrANSKY

So that would mean the Babe is wearing the wrong uniform in this pic.

The Pinstripe home uniforms had NO writing OR logos during Babe's tenure...

The away uniforms had NEW YORK written across the front with the exception of 1927 - 1930 when Y A N K E E S was written on the front :)

I don't know what the heck he is wearing :eek:

... But I AIM to find out ... And you KNOW how I get when there is a mystery afoot !! :lol:

Patrick Walden
08-17-01, 06:36 PM
As Bozidar mentioned it looks staged. Is it possible this was a unifrom he had made for his his barnstorming tour across the country?

Gehrig
08-17-01, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Walden
As Bozidar mentioned it looks staged. Is it possible this was a unifrom he had made for his his barnstorming tour across the country?

More than likely...That would be my guess...

Slippery Elm
08-18-01, 02:20 AM
I thought THESE were their barnstorming unis.

seahorse
08-18-01, 11:02 AM
Great pic Slip!:cool:

Patrick Walden
08-18-01, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Slippery Elm
I though THESE were their barnstorming unis.

I could be wrong but I was always under the impression that photo was from a charity game. But that was just something someone told me. Don't really know either way.

I do have a photo here that peoplec laim was taken in Sleepy Eye MN in 1921 or 1922. It's dated 1922 but many people claim it was really 1921. Babe is pictured with Meusel and they are wearing Yankee hats. babe also has some sort of Yankee sweater on. Many people claim he was in Sleepy Eye as part of their barnstorming tour. You can even go to the Herald Dispatch and see the original paper it appeared in. Some people do claim it was a hoax though. I could either way. I don't think they could have been in 1922 because I believe they stopped after the 1921 season due to a long suspension handed out by Commisioner Landis. If that's true the picture would have to be miss dated.
Does anybody how many years he barnstormed?

Anyway heres the picture.

Twist54
08-18-01, 03:15 PM
The uniform is wrong because New York did not go on the pinstripes. Also, doesn't that look like Mutt Mantle in the first row over the umpire's head?

Slippery Elm
08-19-01, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by seahorse
Great pic Slip!:cool:

I posted that on another site once (Fanhome) and some Boston putz called them a couple of homos. Yea, right. Two "homos" who could put a whupping on half of Fenway all at once. :D

Slippery Elm
08-19-01, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Patrick Walden
. . .I do have a photo here that peoplec laim was taken in Sleepy Eye MN in 1921 or 1922. . .Anyway heres the picture.

Jeez, the Babe looks a little chubby for the early Twenties. Maybe it's the sweater.

That first picture, BTW, might even be a studio shot.