PDA

View Full Version : Gehrig’s attempted inside the park HR photo

Gehrig
08-16-01, 11:28 AM
Not only was Gehrig very strong but he was very fast for a big man … Look how close he is to the other 2 Yankees ahead of him…Here he is rounding 3rd base after hitting a triple with 2 men on !! Earl Combs has just scored and Koenig is between 3rd and home…Gehrig was thrown out trying for the inside the park home run…

Nome
08-16-01, 02:35 PM
It is my impression that both the Babe and the Mick had several inside the park HR's each. Can anyone corroborate this?

Gehrig
08-16-01, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Nome
It is my impression that both the Babe and the Mick had several inside the park HR's each. Can anyone corroborate this?

Babe Ruth hit 10 inside the park home runs in his career...Mickey hit 6...

Nome
08-16-01, 04:43 PM
Thanks, my man.

bagger015
08-16-01, 05:00 PM
:NY: Nice pick thanks...:) :NY:

Michaels07
08-16-01, 06:28 PM
Did you ever hit an inside the park homer?:D

Slippery Elm
08-16-01, 08:31 PM
That picture reminded me of Dale Berra and Bobby Meacham being both thrown out on the same play at home and tagged out by Fisk. That's because they are so close.

Gehrig would have made a helluva running back in football.

You have a year for that photo? Obviously, pre-1932 with Koenig there.

Patrick Walden
08-16-01, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Slippery Elm
That picture reminded me of Dale Berra and Bobby Meacham being both thrown out on the same play at home and tagged out by Fisk. That's because they are so close.

Gehrig would have made a helluva running back in football.

Anybody know what football position did Gehrig play at Columbia?

Gehrig
08-16-01, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Patrick Walden

Anybody know what football position did Gehrig play at Columbia?

He played fullback for 1 full season...;)

Gehrig
08-16-01, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Michaels07
Did you ever hit an inside the park homer?:D

ROFLMAO :lol:

Gehrig
08-16-01, 09:56 PM

I'm guessing it's the 1927 World Series...

No numbers on the backs yet...so it's before 1929...

That catcher is wearing a Pittsburg Pirates uniform...

And I just found this because of a "hunch"...

Game 3: Friday, October 7, 1927 at Yankee Stadium in New York...
Yankees 8, Pittsburgh 1. Yankee relief pitcher Joe Giard's 29th birthday. Temperatures again were in the 70's. Gates opened at Yankee Stadium at 10:00 AM, with a scheduled start time of 1:30 PM. Celebrities filled the Stadium. Before the game, the traditional photos were taken, with Ruth, his wife, and daughter, Dorothy; and Fred Lieb, Gehrig, Hornsby, Huggins, John McGraw, Bush, Nick Altrock, Ruth, and Christy Walsh to name a few. Box seats had a ticket price of $16.50. At close to 1:30, the Seventh Regiment Band played the national anthem. The game started at 1:37 PM after Admiral Charles P. Plunkett, Commandant of the Brooklyn Navy Yard, filling in for Mayor Walker who was late, threw out the first ball to Herb Pennock. In the first inning, Gehrig hit a mammoth triple to the wall in left center scoring Combs and Koenig, with Gehrig being tagged out at the plate trying for a HR.

Slippery Elm
08-16-01, 09:59 PM
Thanks. Where'd you find that info on the '27 Series?

Gehrig
08-17-01, 07:15 AM
Thanks. Where'd you find that info on the '27 Series?

This is a very good site for the '27's...The Unofficial 1927 New York Yankees Home Page

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/1927/

Slippery Elm
08-18-01, 02:16 AM
The Danbury Mint has put out a gorgeous collectible figurine set of the 1927, 1961, and 1998 Yankees, each with ten beautifully painted miniatures (seven or so inches) of each player. And they look like the original players. Also the Brooklyn Dodgers.

http://www.danburymintsports.com/dm/asp/xq/asp/prodnum.btf03000/sport.Baseball+%2D+MLB/team.brooklyn+dodgers/qx/item.htm

http://www.danburymintsports.com/dm/asp/xq/asp/prodnum.btf07000/sport.Baseball+%2D+MLB/team.new+york+yankees/qx/item.htm

penguin4
08-19-01, 03:25 AM
You know, Gehrig was so fast, that even though he only had 102 SB's, fifteen of them were steals of home.

PS, Gehrig hit 10 inside-the-parkers in his career. (His highest in a season was two in 1926.)

Slippery Elm
08-19-01, 05:16 AM
Admittedly, if you were strong enough to bounce a ball off the CF wall in YS you wouldn't have to be real fast to make it home! Lots of green out there. But Gehrig was a great athlete, besides ballplayer.

Gehrig
08-19-01, 09:04 PM
The Danbury Mint has put out a gorgeous collectible figurine set of the 1927, 1961, and 1998 Yankees, each with ten beautifully painted miniatures (seven or so inches) of each player. And they look like the original players. Also the Brooklyn Dodgers.

http://www.danburymintsports.com/dm/asp/xq/asp/prodnum.btf03000/sport.Baseball+%2D+MLB/team.brooklyn+dodgers/qx/item.htm

http://www.danburymintsports.com/dm/asp/xq/asp/prodnum.btf07000/sport.Baseball+%2D+MLB/team.new+york+yankees/qx/item.htm

I've got the 27 Yankees one and it is AWESOME !!!

seahorse
08-19-01, 09:43 PM
Only six easy payments of $38 each. :p
But they are nice. :cool:

SkooterPhil#10
08-19-01, 11:29 PM
When was that taken? If that is Ruth running ahead of Gehrig he's pretty damn fast because Ruth was a bit speedy in his younger years.

Gehrig
08-20-01, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by SkooterPhil#10
When was that taken? If that is Ruth running ahead of Gehrig he's pretty damn fast because Ruth was a bit speedy in his younger years.

Thats Combs and Koenig ahead of Gehrig ...