PDA

View Full Version : NBA Center Jason Collins comes out of the closet

RhodyYanksFan
04-29-13, 12:53 PM
The day has finally come. An active athlete has admitted he's gay.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/

http://static4.businessinsider.com/image/517e8f02eab8eaf25e000006-647-861/sports-illustrated-jason-collins-cover.jpg

I'm a 34-year-old NBA center. I'm black. And I'm gay.
I didn't set out to be the first openly gay athlete playing in a major American team sport. But since I am, I'm happy to start the conversation. I wish I wasn't the kid in the classroom raising his hand and saying, "I'm different." If I had my way, someone else would have already done this. Nobody has, which is why I'm raising my hand.
My journey of self-discovery and self-acknowledgement began in my hometown of Los Angeles and has taken me through two state high school championships, the NCAA Final Four and the Elite Eight, and nine playoffs in 12 NBA seasons.

NYDCYankee
04-29-13, 01:24 PM
Good for Collins. An important moment in sports.

JDPNYY
04-29-13, 01:35 PM
Very courageous. Kudos to Jason.

kan_t
04-29-13, 01:39 PM
Good for him and for the sport. Respect.

Jace
04-29-13, 01:52 PM
I know its a result of "the world we live in", but i still find it funny how individuals' private choices have to be declared publically. I like peanut butter and banana instead of peanut butter and jelly!

RhodyYanksFan
04-29-13, 02:12 PM
Well this was inevitable...

http://deadspin.com/mike-wallace-has-dumb-thoughts-about-gay-people-484560789

YankeeFan1421
04-29-13, 03:57 PM
Good for him and good for the players who are tweeting their support.

Always thought it was asinine for people to hate on people just for their preferences. Hopefully this is a non issue someday and nobody cares what others do with other consenting adults.

Jersey Yankee
04-29-13, 04:35 PM
Dennis Rodman, the Worm, is a household name in sports, has been out for at least 15 years, has won rings with Michael Jordan, has recently met with the North Korean madman. How come the far lesser known guys get the credit? Because Rodman is bi, not gay?

That part I don't understand.

JL25and3
04-29-13, 04:40 PM
Dennis Rodman, the Worm, is a household name in sports, has been out for at least 15 years
He has?

Jersey Yankee
04-29-13, 04:41 PM
I know its a result of "the world we live in", but i still find it funny how individuals' private choices have to be declared publically. I like peanut butter and banana instead of peanut butter and jelly!
I guess the world has changed. For male athletes on sports teams, there's been a big void. Greg Lougainis was an individual diver, and Martina Navratilova was often criticized for "her lifestyle" as it was put.

So now there is a male athlete in a major American sport who is openly gay but not bi. Now what?

Jersey Yankee
04-29-13, 04:45 PM
He has?
He married himself in a wedding dress, has messed around with Madonna, briefly married Carmen Electra, has also messed with lots of gay guys.

Why is this Jason Collins dude, whose name is far lower in prominence prior to this announcement, the first? Does bisexual not count as part of LGBT?

In his spare time, Rodman met with the North Korean dictator and went on the Tonight Show.

JL25and3
04-29-13, 05:32 PM
He married himself in a wedding dress, has messed around with Madonna, briefly married Carmen Electra, has also messed with lots of gay guys.

Why is this Jason Collins dude, whose name is far lower in prominence prior to this announcement, the first? Does bisexual not count as part of LGBT?

In his spare time, Rodman met with the North Korean dictator and went on the Tonight Show.
Rodman's done his fair share of cross-dressing, and he's been involved with some bi women. As far as I know, he's never said he was bi and never been outed as such. You say he's "messed with lots of gay guys," but has he done more than hang out with them? Do we know that he's ever had sexual relationships with any of them?

In any case, what makes Collins important is that he's active. There have been a few retired players in major sports who've come out of the closet, but Collins is the first active player.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 12:58 AM
Rodman's done his fair share of cross-dressing, and he's been involved with some bi women. As far as I know, he's never said he was bi and never been outed as such. You say he's "messed with lots of gay guys," but has he done more than hang out with them? Do we know that he's ever had sexual relationships with any of them?

In any case, what makes Collins important is that he's active. There have been a few retired players in major sports who've come out of the closet, but Collins is the first active player.
Dennis Rodman was always partying with both men and women, not just women. Unlike Collins, you didn't need to google his name on Sunday before you knew who he was.

Dennis Rodman was always partying. I cannot prove who he had sexual relations with (male and/or female), and he's always been coy with the media re his sexuality. However, I can't see Dennis Rodman as being anything but bi. Then again, I can't prove who had sex with whomever else.

He did so (all the partying with men and women) while on the team of the highest-rated player in NBA history, so I don't see what you're referring to re being an active player. And guess what? People still wore his jersey.

As far as this other guy is concerned, he's a free agent. I'd have to see if who, if anyone, picks him up next season.

NYDCYankee
04-30-13, 05:51 AM
Dennis Rodman was always partying with both men and women, not just women. Unlike Collins, you didn't need to google his name on Sunday before you knew who he was.

Dennis Rodman was always partying. I cannot prove who he had sexual relations with (male and/or female), and he's always been coy with the media re his sexuality. However, I can't see Dennis Rodman as being anything but bi. Then again, I can't prove who had sex with whomever else.

He did so (all the partying with men and women) while on the team of the highest-rated player in NBA history, so I don't see what you're referring to re being an active player. And guess what? People still wore his jersey.

As far as this other guy is concerned, he's a free agent. I'd have to see if who, if anyone, picks him up next season.

Rodman never said he was gay or bi. That is the big difference.

JDPNYY
04-30-13, 05:53 AM

You went from saying that Rodman came out 15 years ago to Rodman has always been coy with the media about his sexuality.

Soriambi
04-30-13, 09:15 AM
Collins: "I'm black. And I'm gay."

Had no idea this guy was black.

In all seriousness, though, it's very courageous for him to come out, just as it will be for any other future players who do the same. Him being the first, though, means it was extra courageous, as he (and none of us, for that matter) know exactly what kind of reaction there will be. I'm sure he will have some trouble, but I sincerely hope that most of the reaction is positive and encourages other players in the major sports who would like to come out of the closet to do so.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 10:23 AM
You went from saying that Rodman came out 15 years ago to Rodman has always been coy with the media about his sexuality.
Fair point. While Rodman never, to my knowledge ever declared his sexuality, he did absolutely nothing to hide it, and did so while as a FAR more prominent player than Jason Collins ever was on the court.

Unless Jason Collins is picked up by a team for the 2013-14 season, I wouldn't really consider him an "active player".

JDPNYY
04-30-13, 10:27 AM
Fair point. While Rodman never, to my knowledge ever declared his sexuality, he did absolutely nothing to hide it, and did so while as a FAR more prominent player than Jason Collins ever was on the court.

Unless Jason Collins is picked up by a team for the 2013-14 season, I wouldn't really consider him an "active player".

I'm not sure why you're driven to downplay the significance of this announcement.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 10:27 AM
Collins: "I'm black. And I'm gay."

Had no idea this guy was black.

In all seriousness, though, it's very courageous for him to come out, just as it will be for any other future players who do the same. Him being the first, though, means it was extra courageous, as he (and none of us, for that matter) know exactly what kind of reaction there will be. I'm sure he will have some trouble, but I sincerely hope that most of the reaction is positive and encourages other players in the major sports who would like to come out of the closet to do so.
What do you think that the reaction will be from fans in the seats to a player who has declared his homosexuality? Do you believe this would be more positive than negative?

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 10:31 AM
I'm not sure why you're driven to downplay the significance of this announcement.
I'm not trying to downplay anything. There have been so many strongly rumored gay or bi players, my feeling is what's the significance? Between Piazza and Robbie Alomar, it's already been discussed.

Had either declared their sexuality, would that make any difference? Not to me.

JDPNYY
04-30-13, 10:34 AM
I'm not trying to downplay anything. There have been so many strongly rumored gay or bi players, my feeling is what's the significance? Between Piazza and Robbie Alomar, it's already been discussed.

Had either declared their sexuality, would that make any difference? Not to me.

What?

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 10:50 AM
What?
If that's the best rhetorical question you can come up with, I hope you don't mind receiving the same in return.

JDPNYY
04-30-13, 10:54 AM
If that's the best rhetorical question you can come up with, I hope you don't mind receiving the same in return.

It wasn't rhetorical. I'm not sure how Piazza or Alomar enter into this discussion in the least.

Soriambi
04-30-13, 10:57 AM
What do you think that the reaction will be from fans in the seats to a player who has declared his homosexuality? Do you believe this would be more positive than negative?

I hope so. If he is signed for next season, I assume there will be a fair share of ignorance from fans and players alike, but I hope that the majority of both groups are willing to accept it and support him.

As for Rodman, I've seen no real evidence that would suggest anything about his sexuality. I see plenty of evidence that he did and will do anything possible to get attention. Even if he is bi, though, like others have said, he never publicly said it. If Mike Piazza or Roberto Alomar or anyone else is indeed gay and had been the first to come out publicly, that would have been a big deal, too.

texasyankee
04-30-13, 11:48 AM
I hope so. If he is signed for next season.............

Let's see...

11 yrs in the NBA as a journeyman....

This past season: Collins averaged 1.1 points this season for the Celtics and Wizards. He will be a free agent this offseason, and plans to continue his career.

Obviously, if he doesnt get signed as a free agent, then the NBA is full of homophobes..... :P

NYDCYankee
04-30-13, 12:20 PM

Hide what? I am sorry you are showing real ignorance in this thread. Because someone dresses like a woman doesn't mean they are gay or bi. You talk about " partying with men" what the heck does that mean. Do you have pictures or first or even second ha d knowledge of what happened at these parties?

Also, coming out and saying you are gay is very different then someone who may have messed around with guys a couple times. It is embracing your identity.

35Knucklecurve
04-30-13, 12:35 PM
Let's see...

11 yrs in the NBA as a journeyman....

This past season: Collins averaged 1.1 points this season for the Celtics and Wizards. He will be a free agent this offseason, and plans to continue his career.

Obviously, if he doesnt get signed as a free agent, then the NBA is full of homophobes..... :P
Some others (talk show, beat writers) made the same point. Why make this announcement now, especially since he is not a household name with regard to the NBA? Whatever his reason, he has made it possible for others to come forward. I like the analogy that there are many standing around the pool, just waiting for the first one to jump in and test the water.

There have been several instances of athletes having to apologize for making anti-gay comments in just the past few years, so obviously, despite the majority of those who don't care what your sexual orientation is, there are still some who, in the heat of battle, remove all doubt as to their opinion. One thing is for sure, I would not want to get on the wrong side of Collins during a game.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-30-13, 12:45 PM

Because oppressed minorities need to make themselves visible. The more vocal and out there you are, the harder it becomes for society to marginalize you. Why do you think equal marriage rights have made such gains in recent years? Visibility in media, society at large and, now, male pro sports.

It also helps others. When I came out for the first time nine years ago (God I feel old), it was extremely difficult, partly because I didn't have many examples to look up to. I'm sure that if I was 16-years old now, it would be much easier, or at least less terrifying.

(I'm not going to open the "private choices" can of worms)

texasyankee
04-30-13, 12:45 PM
.......... One thing is for sure, I would not want to get on the wrong side of Collins during a game.

Now you're sounding like a typical homophobe....how can Collins have a 'wrong side?' :P

Yankee Tripper
04-30-13, 01:58 PM
It seems like most of the folks in this thread get it. I'm sure there have been numerous gay athletes over the years in all of the major sport. To my knowledge none have come out and said they were gay (or bi) while they were still playing the sport of looking for work next year. That's why this is so important. Even if he's a journeyman NBA player the guy has been a starter in his career at times, helped lead a team to the NCAA final 4 and has been a part of 9 playoff team.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 02:41 PM
Hide what? I am sorry you are showing real ignorance in this thread. Because someone dresses like a woman doesn't mean they are gay or bi. You talk about " partying with men" what the heck does that mean. Do you have pictures or first or even second ha d knowledge of what happened at these parties?

Also, coming out and saying you are gay is very different then someone who may have messed around with guys a couple times. It is embracing your identity.
Well, perhaps you could try reading instead of reacting and being upset. Did I claim that Rodman had to hide something? Try asking questions instead of being so ignorant and arrogant. Do you know how to do that? If not, try learning to do so.

Do you remember reading of Dennis Rodman when he was playing? The gossip columns were full of stories of him and male gays that he ppartied with. Then again, they were also full of stories about Madonna and the men and women she partied with and had physical relatiins with.

Was I there to see what happenned? So now I need a camcorder? Look, all you needed to know was that Rodman definitely enjoyed the company of gay men while he was an active player for the Chicago Bulls. These numerous parties occurred mid-season when he was playing. If you need eyewitness proof, then you've come to the wrong place.

As far as embracing one's identity, I'll simply add to the ignorant and arrogant (especially those who weren't paying attention the past 15 years) that Dennis Rodman has put his identity out there for all to see and was definitely not one to act as if he needed to not be who he is. I already know who he is, and he has already embraced his identity.

False1
04-30-13, 02:45 PM
Well, perhaps you could try reading instead of reacting and being upset. Did I claim that Rodman had to hide something? Try asking questions instead of being so ignorant and arrogant. Do you know how to do that? If not, try learning to do so.

Do you remember reading of Dennis Rodman when he was playing? The gossip columns were full of stories of him and male gays that he ppartied with. Then again, they were also full of stories about Madonna and the men and women she partied with and had physical relatiins with.

Was I there to see what happenned? So now I need a camcorder? Look, all you needed to know was that Rodman definitely enjoyed the company of gay men while he was an active player for the Chicago Bulls. These numerous parties occurred mid-season when he was playing. If you need eyewitness proof, then you've come to the wrong place.

As far as embracing one's identity, I'll simply add to the ignorant and arrogant (especially those who weren't paying attention the past 15 years) that Dennis Rodman has put his identity out there for all to see and was definitely not one to act as if he needed to not be who he is. I already know who he is, and he has already embraced his identity.Enjoying the company of gay men makes someone gay?

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 02:46 PM
It wasn't rhetorical. I'm not sure how Piazza or Alomar enter into this discussion in the least.
How? Where?

Dude, if you wish to discuss something, then "What?" is nothing that I can reply to.

If you've never heard of the endless stream of rumors re Mike Piazza and Roberto Alomar being bi, then I can't help you.

Yankee Tripper
04-30-13, 02:49 PM
Jersey Yankee, there is a big difference between "suspected of being gay", "might be gay", "lives a lifestyle that could be gay", "rumored to be gay" and coming out and saying "I'm gay."

In your own words, if you can't see the difference, I'm not sure I can help you.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 02:49 PM
Enjoying the company of gay men makes someone gay?
Not necessarily, but there were strong rumors that Dennis Rodman as an INDIVIDUAL was bi-sexual.

Have you ever read about him while he was playing in the '90s?

JDPNYY
04-30-13, 02:50 PM
How? Where?

Dude, if you wish to discuss something, then "What?" is nothing that I can reply to.

If you've never heard of the endless stream of rumors re Mike Piazza and Roberto Alomar being bi, then I can't help you.

You have completely missed the boat on this topic.

RhodyYanksFan
04-30-13, 02:52 PM
No matter what he did, or didn't do; say or didn't say; or have written about him in the 90s - Rodman never wrote an article or had a press conference to say "I'm a NBA player and I'm bi." That's what makes this a huge deal.

False1
04-30-13, 02:53 PM
Not necessarily, but there were strong rumors that Dennis Rodman as an INDIVIDUAL was bi-sexual.

Have you ever read about him while he was playing in the '90s?Sure... but as you say, they were rumors... two important facts there...

Rumors can be false.
Rumors are not a individual's public acknowledgement.

JL25and3
04-30-13, 02:54 PM
It seems like most of the folks in this thread get it. I'm sure there have been numerous gay athletes over the years in all of the major sport. To my knowledge none have come out and said they were gay (or bi) while they were still playing the sport of looking for work next year. That's why this is so important. Even if he's a journeyman NBA player the guy has been a starter in his career at times, helped lead a team to the NCAA final 4 and has been a part of 9 playoff team.
In the major sports, only a few have come out even after retirement. The first was Dave Kopay, in 1977, and since then only four other NFL players have acknowledged being gay. Before Jason Collins, John Amaechi was the only NBA player. In MLB, only Glenn Burke and Billy Bean (the other one). The NHL has announced that it's gay-friendly, but to my knowledge no hockey player has come out.

That's a total of nine athletes in four sports over 35+ years.

JL25and3
04-30-13, 02:56 PM
It's contagious.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 03:01 PM
I hope so. If he is signed for next season, I assume there will be a fair share of ignorance from fans and players alike, but I hope that the majority of both groups are willing to accept it and support him.

As for Rodman, I've seen no real evidence that would suggest anything about his sexuality. I see plenty of evidence that he did and will do anything possible to get attention. Even if he is bi, though, like others have said, he never publicly said it. If Mike Piazza or Roberto Alomar or anyone else is indeed gay and had been the first to come out publicly, that would have been a big deal, too.
For Jason Collins, I guess this is his moment, since he hasn't done much on the court. I think had Dennis Rodman come out, that would've put a far different spin on things, since Rodman, even when people (in the seats) often frowned upon gay male athletes, were very happy with Rodman.

Mike has always insisted he was straight, even adding a quote on the cover of Playboy (June 2006, I believe) that he wasn't a "switch hitter", which some fans thought he was.

I think that neither hi-profile athletes wanted to admit to homosexuality (Piazza married a Penthouse centerfold), since they didn't want the expected fan backlash. They were also legit HoF contenders, and would be signing things and may be looking for baseball-related jobs upon retirement.

My feeling is that they didn't wish to risk any of those things.

That is a big difference, since Dennis could've said "Look at me, for example". If you liked Rodman, then that puts him far ahead of Jason Collins, who was an unknown on Sunday.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 03:08 PM
Sure... but as you say, they were rumors... two important facts there...

Rumors can be false.
Rumors are not a individual's public acknowledgement.
Agreed and acknowledged. Dennis should've come out back then instead of some unknown.

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 03:10 PM
No matter what he did, or didn't do; say or didn't say; or have written about him in the 90s - Rodman never wrote an article or had a press conference to say "I'm a NBA player and I'm bi." That's what makes this a huge deal.
If it's such a huge deal, then what happens next?

Jersey Yankee
04-30-13, 03:11 PM
You have completely missed the boat on this topic.
What?

Soriambi
04-30-13, 03:13 PM
For Jason Collins, I guess this is his moment, since he hasn't done much on the court. I think had Dennis Rodman come out, that would've put a far different spin on things, since Rodman, even when people (in the seats) often frowned upon gay male athletes, were very happy with Rodman.

Mike has always insisted he was straight, even adding a quote on the cover of Playboy (June 2006, I believe) that he wasn't a "switch hitter", which some fans thought he was.

I think that neither hi-profile athletes wanted to admit to homosexuality (Piazza married a Penthouse centerfold), since they didn't want the expected fan backlash. They were also legit HoF contenders, and would be signing things and may be looking for baseball-related jobs upon retirement.

My feeling is that they didn't wish to risk any of those things.

That is a big difference, since Dennis could've said "Look at me, for example". If you liked Rodman, then that puts him far ahead of Jason Collins, who was an unknown on Sunday.

Or, you know, maybe they were telling the truth and they're not gay. And of course Dennis Rodman was a better basketball player than Jason Collins, but as others have said, repeatedly, he didn't come out (if indeed he is gay or bisexual). The fact that Collins--a player who has not retired--has come out publicly, is the big deal. If Dennis Rodman had come out, it would have been a big deal. If Michael Jordan or Larry Bird or Magic Johnson or LeBron James or Kobe Bryant had said they were gay and were the first, that would have been a big deal (even bigger, likely, since they were/are superstars.)

It doesn't matter, though, because no other player (Rodman, Piazza, Alomar, or whatever other name you want to throw in there) has come out. That's why this is getting the attention it is. The fact that he's not an All-Star is irrelevant.

Soriambi
04-30-13, 03:15 PM
If it's such a huge deal, then what happens next?

Hopefully, it will inspire other players (or others) who are afraid to come out due to possible issues to not be afraid of who they are.

JDPNYY
04-30-13, 03:16 PM
What?

You're discussing x and the topic is y.

ArodEra
04-30-13, 03:18 PM

While adorned in a corset, tight dress, silky thigh highs, 4 inch eff-me pumps and frilly wrap while wearing tons of makeup, dangling hoop earrings, and bright red lipstick? Maybe.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-30-13, 04:01 PM
While adorned in a corset, tight dress, silky thigh highs, 4 inch eff-me pumps and frilly wrap while wearing tons of makeup, dangling hoop earrings, and bright red lipstick? Maybe.

Cross-dressers can be straight. And if being gay means having to mean womens' clothes, well then I guess I'm a total breeder.

Jax Teller
04-30-13, 04:04 PM
How about that DBag Mike Wallace tweet after Collins came out?

ArodEra
04-30-13, 04:07 PM
Cross-dressers can be straight. And if being gay means having to mean womens' clothes, well then I guess I'm a total breeder.

I know that cross-dressers can be straight, which is why I said maybe. But, I'm sure some are not.

Never said or implied that being gay meant having to wear womens' clothes. Sorry if it sounded like I was being demeaning, that wasn't my intent. I'm just saying that it wouldn't surprise me if Rodman was bi because of the outfits he wears and his lifestyle, though it sure wouldn't make any difference on how I perceive him as a person.

I mean really, would it shock anyone if he came out?

Jax Teller
04-30-13, 04:10 PM
It wouldn't shock me but I just think Rodman did what he did because he was an attention whore.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
04-30-13, 04:29 PM
It wouldn't shock me but I just think Rodman did what he did because he was an attention whore.

Probably. Why else would someone willingly go to North Korea?

Yankee Fan in Boston
04-30-13, 04:37 PM

Nothing with Rodman would shock me, but I tend to agree with this perspective.

Soriambi
04-30-13, 07:26 PM

Exactly. People are missing this aspect of it for whatever reason. Rodman did all kinds of outrageous things. He liked having his name in the paper.

NYDCYankee
04-30-13, 08:24 PM
Even if Dennis Rodman had said that he was bisexual back in the 90s, it isn't the same thing as what Jason Collins did yesterday. If Dennis Rodman said he was bi, but at the same time he was banging Carmen Electra in her prime, people would identify him as a straight man.

Very different than Jason Collins saying "I am gay."

Mr Coffee
04-30-13, 08:38 PM

I'm not sure of your tone, but I feel like you're using 'breeder' in a negative way.

I'll withhold my outrage pending further clarification of your position.

Jace
04-30-13, 10:26 PM
Because oppressed minorities need to make themselves visible. The more vocal and out there you are, the harder it becomes for society to marginalize you. Why do you think equal marriage rights have made such gains in recent years? Visibility in media, society at large and, now, male pro sports.

It also helps others. When I came out for the first time nine years ago (God I feel old), it was extremely difficult, partly because I didn't have many examples to look up to. I'm sure that if I was 16-years old now, it would be much easier, or at least less terrifying.

(I'm not going to open the "private choices" can of worms)

I understand that, I just find it interesting that people are marginalized to the point that that even becomes necessary. My opinion is that things will be better when things like this are non-stories, because its just another person being themselves.

As for "personal choices", theres no point into getting into a word choice/semantics debate, the words didnt have special meaning. We can substitute in genetic predisposition, true nature, or whatever is most appropriate

flymick24
04-30-13, 11:54 PM
it would be interesting if some posters on nyyfans used this as an opportunity to finally come out

NyQuil
05-01-13, 12:13 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ELFl2_1q7DI/TObn1HnV2fI/AAAAAAAAAaQ/5JkvAtpbv7k/s1600/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

35Knucklecurve
05-01-13, 09:04 AM
Now you're sounding like a typical homophobe....how can Collins have a 'wrong side?' :P
I'm not sure what you mean, but what I meant was that he is not a little guy - he is 7 feet tall and a highly conditioned pro athlete. By his own admission, his job is to go out there and take his 6 hard fouls while trash talking and creating as much of a physical threat as possible. Why throw gasoline on the fire by pissing him off during a game (or anywhere for that matter) with some remark about his life? I wouldn't want to piss off anybody who could crush me into a fine powder, regardless of who they are.