PDA

View Full Version : Masters 2013

RhodyYanksFan
04-11-13, 08:39 AM
Anybody else into the Masters? The US Open is my favorite gold weekend, but the Masters is fun too. Tiger has no reason to not contend this year. His life is back in order, his knee has healed, his ankle is better, his swing seems to be working, and he likes his caddy. If he isn't prominently involved on Sunday I will be shocked.

IndianaYankFan
04-11-13, 08:55 AM
I love The Masters. It and the US Open are my favorites. I agree that Tiger should be in contention, but I think Lefty will make a run too. He always plays well there.

RhodyYanksFan
04-11-13, 09:03 AM
I love The Masters. It and the US Open are my favorites. I agree that Tiger should be in contention, but I think Lefty will make a run too. He always plays well there.

Do you mean Phil or Bubba? Mickelson used to be my favorite golfer because I'm lefty too, but he's really soured on me the past few years. He just seems like a dick. Oddly, I like Tiger more now because of what a massive dick he turned out to be.

I want to see Tiger win mainly because I like a comeback story and I want to see history - him getting closer to Nickalus' record. If not Tiger I'll be happy with Bubba Watson or McIlroy (another comeback story since he's such a mess right now).

IndianaYankFan
04-11-13, 09:10 AM
Do you mean Phil or Bubba? Mickelson used to be my favorite golfer because I'm lefty too, but he's really soured on me the past few years. He just seems like a dick. Oddly, I like Tiger more now because of what a massive dick he turned out to be.

I want to see Tiger win mainly because I like a comeback story and I want to see history - him getting closer to Nickalus' record. If not Tiger I'll be happy with Bubba Watson or McIlroy (another comeback story since he's such a mess right now).

I was talking about Phil, but obviously Bubba should be taken seriously too.

I would like to see McIlroy too. If he wins, then he would already have three majors (just one less than Phil's four).

Big_E
04-11-13, 11:18 AM
Woods pars the first hole...only 5 people so far have played #1 under par.

Jim Furyk birdied three straight holes to take the lead at -4 through 8

Big_E
04-11-13, 01:30 PM
Woods at -2 at the turn. The leader in the clubhouse is David Lynn at -4. The back 9 have so far played a lot easier than the front 9, so it will be interesting to see how Woods does for the day.

Soriambi
04-14-13, 06:00 PM
It always amuses me how the announcers manage to keep Tiger in contention in their commentary even when he's well out of contention or it would take an absolute miracle for him to get back into contention.

fredgmuggs
04-14-13, 06:28 PM
It always amuses me how the announcers manage to keep Tiger in contention in their commentary even when he's well out of contention or it would take an absolute miracle for him to get back into contention.

I'd rather listen to John Sterling try to speak French than listen to Jim Nantz.

Soriambi
04-14-13, 07:08 PM
I'd rather listen to John Sterling try to speak French than listen to Jim Nantz.

I think Nantz is pretty solid doing football, but yeah, he's pretty intolerable at golf. Then again, I think golf announcing in general leaves a lot to be desired. It seems virtually impossible to not be annoying calling it.

philleotardo
04-14-13, 07:14 PM
I think Nanz is pretty solid doing football, but yeah, he's pretty intolerable at golf. Then again, I think golf announcing in general leaves a lot to be desired. It seems virtually impossible to not be annoying calling it.
I actually find the opposite. It seems like he actually knows something about the sport of golf.

Soriambi
04-14-13, 07:17 PM
I actually find the opposite. It seems like he actually knows something about the sport of golf.

I think he definitely knows a lot about golf. It's just his whole presentation, how everything is so magical and majestic no matter what it is. I find it extremely over the top.

jlw1980
04-14-13, 07:56 PM
Adam Scott is the first Australian to win the Masters.

fredgmuggs
04-14-13, 07:57 PM
Adam Scott is the first Australian to win the Masters.

I think Jim Nantz has mentioned that once or a few hundred times.

jlw1980
04-14-13, 08:00 PM
I think Jim Nantz has mentioned that once or a few hundred times.

Sorry, I'm not watching. I just read it online. :lol:

RhodyYanksFan
04-15-13, 09:32 AM
I think he definitely knows a lot about golf. It's just his whole presentation, how everything is so magical and majestic no matter what it is. I find it extremely over the top.

He's made millions by overselling events as magical and majestic. I give props to Bob Costas for calling Nantz and CBS for ignoring the amazing racism surrounding Agusta National.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/bob-costas-cbs-masters-history-of-racism-and-sexism/

“What no CBS commentator has ever alluded to, even in passing, even during a rain delay, even when there was time to do so, is Augusta’s history of racism and sexism. Even when people were protesting just outside the grounds — forget about taking a side — never acknowledging it… I just think somebody ought to have had the guts to do it along the way… Broadcaster, executive, somebody”.

I know, easy to say when you're not the one being paid to broadcast it, but IIRC Costas did have things to say about China's human rights policies during the 2008 Olympics so he's not afraid to say what should be said.

Soriambi
04-15-13, 09:35 AM
He's made millions by overselling events as magical and majestic. I give props to Bob Costas for calling Nantz and CBS for ignoring the amazing racism surrounding Agusta National.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/bob-costas-cbs-masters-history-of-racism-and-sexism/

I know, easy to say when you're not the one being paid to broadcast it, but IIRC Costas did have things to say about China's human rights policies during the 2008 Olympics so he's not afraid to say what should be said.

The difference is that if Nantz said that during the broadcast, in all likelihood he would not be invited back to broadcast the Masters. Costas is still going to do the Olympics. Which announcer was it who got banned from doing the Masters for calling the "patrons" fans and referring to the greens as bikini-waxed? If you can be banned for that, I'd imagine you can be banned for referring to the club as racist or sexist.

35Knucklecurve
04-15-13, 09:56 AM
Thoughts on "Tigergate?" :D I'm glad the rule change was made last year. It would have been a big disappointment to have him (or any top player) disqualified, since the officials didn't see anything wrong. If that had been a lesser known player, the cameras wouldn't have even been on him. Yet, the officials made a point of penalizing a 14 year old kid for slow play. Yes, he had been warned about it, but come on......if nobody else was complaining, why make an example of an amateur who isn't even old enough to drive (a car, I mean).

I find it amazing (and ridiculous) that fans can call/text in, point out a rules violation and consequently have the score for a player changed with a 2 shot penalty. Can you imagine that happening in baseball or football?! Even the most outrageously wrong call is not reversed after the game.

I was rooting for Cabrera - always support your fellow geezers.

ruthianblast
04-15-13, 10:44 AM

I always had an issue with this, Augusta is a private club and as such can make the rules they wish to follow. Fact is, just like any business they can choose whether or not to admit their preferred clientele. Just like any business they can suffer the consequences, but they certainly do not and did not deserve to be vilified.

Big_E
04-15-13, 10:47 AM
I find it amazing (and ridiculous) that fans can call/text in, point out a rules violation and consequently have the score for a player changed with a 2 shot penalty. Can you imagine that happening in baseball or football?! Even the most outrageously wrong call is not reversed after the game.

True...but what's the alternative? 90-100+ referees watching each player, each shot?

baseball, football, almost all other sports are played in a confined space. It's easy to watch every play. Golf is unique in its playing surface.

Soriambi
04-15-13, 11:33 AM
Thoughts on "Tigergate?" :D I'm glad the rule change was made last year. It would have been a big disappointment to have him (or any top player) disqualified, since the officials didn't see anything wrong. If that had been a lesser known player, the cameras wouldn't have even been on him. Yet, the officials made a point of penalizing a 14 year old kid for slow play. Yes, he had been warned about it, but come on......if nobody else was complaining, why make an example of an amateur who isn't even old enough to drive (a car, I mean).

I think the main issue is that it puts guys like Tiger (and other big name players) at an unfair disadvantage, since every one of his shots and lots of his actions in between shots are on camera. No other player has that kind of scrutiny. For all we know, five other guys did that during the course of the tournament but just weren't on camera. I have no issue with him being penalized for breaking the rules (even unintentionally), but I think the calling in on TV thing is unfair to some players. I think the "signing the wrong scorecard" rule is embarrassingly outdated (assuming it was not intentional) at the top levels of the sport.

When every shot is being watched by one camera or another, your caddy, the other player and his caddy, some number of fans, etc, I don't think players should be penalized with disqualification for an honest mistake on their score. A penalty is appropriate, sure, but that has always seemed way out of proportion to me. I'm glad they put in the rule they did, because it would have been a travesty if Tiger (or any player) signed a scorecard with the score he (and the rules committee) believed he had and ended up being disqualified because after he signed it, they ended up determining it was incorrect.

Soriambi
04-15-13, 11:46 AM
True...but what's the alternative? 90-100+ referees watching each player, each shot?

baseball, football, almost all other sports are played in a confined space. It's easy to watch every play. Golf is unique in its playing surface.

It's also unique in the fact that it largely self-polices. If football players honestly got together and admitted when they were holding or offside or had interfered, there would probably be far less work for referees. If the player's playing partner brings it to their attention, too, they're honest about it.

dabomb2045
04-15-13, 12:07 PM
What kind of loser watches a sport on TV and then says "I think I'll call the network and complain that he's cheating"? Get a life people.

Big_E
04-15-13, 12:28 PM
It's also unique in the fact that it largely self-polices. If football players honestly got together and admitted when they were holding or offside or had interfered, there would probably be far less work for referees. If the player's playing partner brings it to their attention, too, they're honest about it.

Exactly...how many times has a baseball player tried to "sell" a catch, knowing full well they did not catch the ball before it hit the ground? People, given an opportunity, will cheat if they can get away with it...

Big_E
04-15-13, 12:31 PM
What kind of loser watches a sport on TV and then says "I think I'll call the network and complain that he's cheating"? Get a life people.

The same people who would call in to sports talk radio or post on a website about some team or player cheating...

If you knew for a fact -- had it on video or some such thing -- that A-Rod bought steroids, or the Patriots "bugging" the opponents sideline...would you report it or let it slide and see if the league catches them?

fredgmuggs
04-15-13, 03:57 PM

CBS can't say anything if they want to retain broadcasting rights. That's the way Augusta National does business with the networks - say what we want or we'll find someone else who will.

Soriambi
04-16-13, 10:18 AM
Exactly...how many times has a baseball player tried to "sell" a catch, knowing full well they did not catch the ball before it hit the ground? People, given an opportunity, will cheat if they can get away with it...

What I'm saying, though, is that I don't think that's normally the case with professional golfers. They consistently report their own rules violations if they are aware of them.

Big_E
04-16-13, 10:37 AM
What I'm saying, though, is that I don't think that's normally the case with professional golfers. They consistently report their own rules violations if they are aware of them.

Because cheating is penalized, even retroactively. The day after a mistake, you can still be disqualified. In football, once the next play is snapped, it's over. In baseball, George Brett could cheat and hit a HR, and the HR stood. Steroid users do not have their records abolished. So it pays to disclose your mistake, especially before you sign your scorecard, so you don't get disqualified.

Soriambi
04-16-13, 10:47 AM
Because cheating is penalized, even retroactively. The day after a mistake, you can still be disqualified. In football, once the next play is snapped, it's over. In baseball, George Brett could cheat and hit a HR, and the HR stood. Steroid users do not have their records abolished. So it pays to disclose your mistake, especially before you sign your scorecard, so you don't get disqualified.

I think it's more the culture of the game. I don't think it has to do with the penalty. I think the culture of the sport is just to report yourself if you realize you broke a rule. It's kind of like how you regularly see golfers congratulating other golfers on great shots even though they're competing, when congratulating another player on something great is far more rare in other sports.

35Knucklecurve
04-16-13, 10:57 AM
I think the main issue is that it puts guys like Tiger (and other big name players) at an unfair disadvantage, since every one of his shots and lots of his actions in between shots are on camera. No other player has that kind of scrutiny. For all we know, five other guys did that during the course of the tournament but just weren't on camera. I have no issue with him being penalized for breaking the rules (even unintentionally), but I think the calling in on TV thing is unfair to some players. I think the "signing the wrong scorecard" rule is embarrassingly outdated (assuming it was not intentional) at the top levels of the sport.

When every shot is being watched by one camera or another, your caddy, the other player and his caddy, some number of fans, etc, I don't think players should be penalized with disqualification for an honest mistake on their score. A penalty is appropriate, sure, but that has always seemed way out of proportion to me. I'm glad they put in the rule they did, because it would have been a travesty if Tiger (or any player) signed a scorecard with the score he (and the rules committee) believed he had and ended up being disqualified because after he signed it, they ended up determining it was incorrect.
That was exactly my point. There were (of are) a lot of guys on the tour who most people have not heard of.....or have and that player is struggling (Phil Mickelson, for example). I think I saw one shot of Phil's the entire time I watched. Even when Tiger's having a bad day, he gets coverage.

If the officials are out there to prevent the kind of thing that happened, but it's clear they did not know the rules, how can a player be held accountable? Tiger admitted he dropped the ball further back from the original spot - in front of everybody. That to me demonstrates that at the time, he did not realize that it was a rules violation. Those officials saw the same thing the fan did who called in and alerted them. They're the ones who didn't stop play. They're the ones who let him turn in an incorrect scorecard. It's tournament suicide to sign and turn in a scorecard when you know it is not correct.

I still do not believe any fan should be able to get a ruling overturned. Learn from it and makes sure it doesn't happen the next time, but don't punish the player because you missed it.

Ashle
04-18-13, 06:44 AM
The 2013 Masters Tournament was the 77th edition of the Masters Tournament and the first of golf's four major championships to be held in 2013. It was held from April 11–14 at Augusta National Golf Club in Augusta, Georgia.<sup id="cite_ref-About_Golf_3-0" class="reference"></sup> Adam Scott won the tournament on the second hole of a sudden death playoff against Ángel Cabrera. It was Scott's first major championship and the first time an Australian won the Masters.<sup id="cite_ref-4" class="reference"></sup><sup id="cite_ref-5" class="reference"></sup>