PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hamilton to Angels

Astorian
12-13-12, 01:40 PM
I just heard on WFAN that Josh Hamilton will sign with the Angels. MLBTradeRumors is also reporting the story.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/angels-to-sign-josh-hamilton.html

SubwayFanatic
12-13-12, 01:41 PM
Free-agent slugger Josh Hamilton (http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/4652/josh-hamilton) agreed to a five-year, $125 million contract Thursday with the Los Angeles Angels (http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/laa/los-angeles-angels), sources told ESPN.com.

Confirmed by ESPN.com

Yankee Tripper
12-13-12, 01:43 PM
Makes me sad the Yanks couldn't match that. 5 years seems reasonable. Angles will be formidable next year if they get decent pitching after Weaver/Wilson.

MoVaughnEatsAlot
12-13-12, 01:57 PM
Trout
Pujols
Hamilton

:eek:

Zimmer's Helmet
12-13-12, 02:02 PM
The Angels now have the most devastating lineup in baseball. Wow..

NelsonMuntz
12-13-12, 02:06 PM
Imagine if the Yankees had signed Pujols and Hamilton in consecutive offseasons -- there would be calls for Congressional hearings.

JohnnyDamonfan
12-13-12, 02:09 PM
Trade for Trumbo, or Bourjous or Trout now? Any one of the 3 would be fine with me.;)

RhodyYanksFan
12-13-12, 02:10 PM
Wow, what a nice signing for them. I can't believe the Rangers wouldn't match that - especially when it's a division opponent taking him.

They let CJ Wilson & Josh Hamilton go to their division rivals in two consecutive off seasons. That's just poor management.

JohnnyDamonfan
12-13-12, 02:16 PM
The Angels line up is SET UP. Now, all they really need to worry about is their rotation and their Rotation staying Healthy and Uninjured.

nyybronxbomber73
12-13-12, 02:22 PM
Trade for Trumbo, or Bourjous or Trout now? Any one of the 3 would be fine with me.;)

I realize your kidding but if there was EVER an untouchable in baseball.

Yankee Tripper
12-13-12, 02:25 PM
Wow, what a nice signing for them. I can't believe the Rangers wouldn't match that - especially when it's a division opponent taking him.

They let CJ Wilson & Josh Hamilton go to their division rivals in two consecutive off seasons. That's just poor management.
Word on MLBtrade rumors is Texas is upset that Hamilton's agent didn't even call them to allow them to match but they sort of treated him kind of crappy in negotaitions from what I could tell so I have no problem with it.

JohnnyDamonfan
12-13-12, 02:28 PM
I realize your kidding but if there was EVER an untouchable in baseball.

Yeah I was joking about the first one, the other 2 however I could totally see that.

RhodyYanksFan
12-13-12, 02:36 PM
Word on MLBtrade rumors is Texas is upset that Hamilton's agent didn't even call them to allow them to match but they sort of treated him kind of crappy in negotaitions from what I could tell so I have no problem with it.

Oh, well I do remember Ryan saying they would only offer him 3-4 years. I'm glad he didn't get an 8 year deal.

Michael Bourne & Nick Swisher are loving life right now.

Black Sabbathia
12-13-12, 02:44 PM
Imagine if the Yankees had signed Pujols and Hamilton in consecutive offseasons -- there would be calls for Congressional hearings.

The Angels don't have almost $100 mil tied up in 3-4 players already

just sayin

89FoxBody
12-13-12, 02:45 PM
Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, and Trumbo...that is downright scary.

RhodyYanksFan
12-13-12, 02:46 PM

just sayin

Smartly, this Hamilton deal will expire right when Trout becomes a FA.

sousuffer
12-13-12, 02:52 PM
Trumbo, Morales, and Kendrick aren't exactly pushovers either. The 1-2-3 punch has a chance the be the best 1-2-3 combo in history. I wonder if they will score 1000 runs. I guess Trout won't be winning any MVPs - it will be the "players will steal votes from each other" attitude that kept several of our own guys from winning it back in the early to mid 2000's (sheffield anyone?).

Hitman23
12-13-12, 03:07 PM
5 years is a good deal. Damn that lineup is stacked.

Jerkface
12-13-12, 03:12 PM
Trumbo, Morales, and Kendrick aren't exactly pushovers either. The 1-2-3 punch has a chance the be the best 1-2-3 combo in history. I wonder if they will score 1000 runs. I guess Trout won't be winning any MVPs - it will be the "players will steal votes from each other" attitude that kept several of our own guys from winning it back in the early to mid 2000's (sheffield anyone?).

The Angels are still way behind any other 1000 run offense in history. Maybe 900 runs if the bottom of the lineup all bounces back, but likely just 800+ runs.

NYYFAN
12-13-12, 03:34 PM
Maybe the Yankees will GET luxury money now...:D

Jersey Yankee
12-13-12, 04:00 PM

just sayin
Nor do they have to spend $42m on 3B in 2013.

just-blaze
12-13-12, 04:07 PM
Oh, well I do remember Ryan saying they would only offer him 3-4 years. I'm glad he didn't get an 8 year deal.

Michael Bourne & Nick Swisher are loving life right now.

Why? Swisher was looking for Werth money, seeing what Hamilton got pretty much ensures he won't get it. Bourn was looking for 100 mil, he won't be getting that either.

OlgMvp
12-13-12, 04:08 PM
That's gonna be some lineup to pitch against.

JfromJersey
12-13-12, 05:34 PM
The Angels are competing with the Dodgers for market share in that area. This doesn't surprise me. Now, with a year under his belt and all the attention focused on Hamilton, Pujols might vie for a triple crown.

montrealer
12-13-12, 06:22 PM
when`s Houston moving to the west?

sweet_lou_14
12-13-12, 06:37 PM
when`s Houston moving to the west?

In 2013.

Battingly
12-14-12, 08:15 AM
Artie Moreno's Angels are the new George Steinbrenner's Yankees, and that really pisses me off.

The word "budget" did not even exist in George's vocabulary, and apparently it doesn't exist in Moreno's either.

Now they sign Pujols and Hamilton in back to back years .... and that used to be us. :(

BTW where is the hue & cry from the media about how the Angels are trying to buy championships????

MoVaughnEatsAlot
12-14-12, 08:17 AM
In a few years I think Pujols and Hamilton are going to make A-Rod's contract look like a steal.

Battingly
12-14-12, 08:22 AM
In a few years I think Pujols and Hamilton are going to make A-Rod's contract look like a steal.Those contracts were reasonable by Arod standards, particularly Hamilton's five year deal compared to ten for a broken down steroids user.

Arod's contract, IMHO, is the worst in baseball history.

We are into this guy for a gazillion dollars and years and his body is ravaged by roids, and its choking us to death.

JackTalkThai
12-14-12, 09:40 AM
The Angels now have the most devastating lineup in baseball. Wow..

Jackson
Hunter
Cabrera
Fielder
Martinez

False1
12-14-12, 09:46 AM
Jackson
Hunter
Cabrera
Fielder
MartinezThat's another pretty good top 5. But I'd still honestly go with Trout, Pujols, Hamilton, Trumbo and Morales if given the choice and think the Angels offense will outproduce the Tigers next season. Pitching on the other hand...

BTW - still say you have one of the coolest handles on this site. JackTalkThai very well.

35Knucklecurve
12-14-12, 11:25 AM
Per Buster Olney this morning on ESPN, the GM's he talked to didn't want to go after any deal for more than 3 years and only one - Seattle - offered a 5 year deal (besides LA). He also said this deal was a direct shot at the Dodgers for bragging rights.

Just imagine what kind of deal Hamilton would have gotten if not for his history with demons.

Yankee Tripper
12-14-12, 11:40 AM
Just imagine what kind of deal Hamilton would have gotten if not for his history with demons.
Pujols, Arod & Votto $ and years I would guess.

JfromJersey
12-14-12, 11:46 AM
Who knows what Pujols and Hamilton will be in a couple of years, but for next season at least, barring injury, the Angels' lineup will be true pitchers' nightmare to face.

Yankee Tripper
12-14-12, 11:46 AM
In a few years I think Pujols and Hamilton are going to make A-Rod's contract look like a steal.
Doubtful.

A-rod is signed through 2017 is already in steep decline and will be missing a good chuck of the year with his 2nd major hip injury requiing surgery.

Pujols is signed through 2021 but is still producing at a high level after a bad start. Though his decline has also started. I agree the back end of this deal has the potential to be as bad as the back end of A-rods

Hamilton is signed through 2018 but when healthy is still producing at MVP caliber level. Unless his injuries take a huge toll the next few years or his deamons with alcohol and drugs resurface I don't see this deal going south for LAA. He'll benefit from being moved off CF to a corner spot and I think his reuniting with fellow christian buff CJ Wilson who was a big positive influence on Josh in Texas with will also be good for him.

Chacon
12-14-12, 11:59 AM
So will Josh say that God led him to Anaheim......or will he admit it was the 125M?

BronxYanks45
12-14-12, 12:16 PM
Rangers got weaker, LAA likely wins AL West but you cant hit your way to the World Series. They lost alot of pitching this offseason

jcarey
12-14-12, 01:00 PM
The Angels lineup is good, but I'm not as impressed as some here are. Mike Trout, well, he's pretty good. Not 2012 good, but very good. He struggled with inside pitches last season, but as the year wore on, pitchers threw him FEWER pitches inside. That will probably be corrected, but I still expect him to be a fantastic player. As for the rest of the lineup...

I have a feeling Morales is trade bait. I'd actually like to see him here as the DH/backup 1B, but that's another matter.

Trumbo is Granderson with less power. After a blazing start, he cooled off significantly in the second half, and I don't see him maintaining success with such horrible plate discipline. Not a good player, in my opinion.

I think we're going to see a nasty decline from Hamilton. He's going to be 32 and he already strikes out way too much. Seriously, his swinging strike % is higher than Mark Reynolds. But he makes up for it with prodigious power (which boosts BA), an aggressive approach, and a high BABIP. As he ages and slows down, his BABIP (very high for his career) will drop, his power will diminish (plus he'll be in a pitcher-friendly park), and you'll see that BA and OBP plummet. I know he doesn't have much "baseball" mileage on him, but he hasn't had the healthiest lifestyle in the past, and that takes a toll on the body.

We've seen the decline start with Pujols, and I know I'm not the only one that thinks he's older than he says. Like A-Rod, he's been in the league forever, and his knees and joints are starting to feel it. He's still good, but no longer elite.

The rest of the lineup is garbage.

SubwayFanatic
12-14-12, 09:22 PM
The Angels lineup is good, but I'm not as impressed as some here are. Mike Trout, well, he's pretty good. Not 2012 good, but very good. He struggled with inside pitches last season, but as the year wore on, pitchers threw him FEWER pitches inside. That will probably be corrected, but I still expect him to be a fantastic player. As for the rest of the lineup...

I have a feeling Morales is trade bait. I'd actually like to see him here as the DH/backup 1B, but that's another matter.

Trumbo is Granderson with less power. After a blazing start, he cooled off significantly in the second half, and I don't see him maintaining success with such horrible plate discipline. Not a good player, in my opinion.

I think we're going to see a nasty decline from Hamilton. He's going to be 32 and he already strikes out way too much. Seriously, his swinging strike % is higher than Mark Reynolds. But he makes up for it with prodigious power (which boosts BA), an aggressive approach, and a high BABIP. As he ages and slows down, his BABIP (very high for his career) will drop, his power will diminish (plus he'll be in a pitcher-friendly park), and you'll see that BA and OBP plummet. I know he doesn't have much "baseball" mileage on him, but he hasn't had the healthiest lifestyle in the past, and that takes a toll on the body.

We've seen the decline start with Pujols, and I know I'm not the only one that thinks he's older than he says. Like A-Rod, he's been in the league forever, and his knees and joints are starting to feel it. He's still good, but no longer elite.

The rest of the lineup is garbage.

I agree 100%.

The Angels have a good lineup, especially in an era when offense is really on the decline, but it is not some historic juggernaut. All of this talk of "best lineup ever! 1,000 runs!" is laughable when you consider they scored 767 runs last year.

Not to mention the fact that the Angels did lose Torii Hunter, who was a pretty damn good player last year. I am not sure the Hamilton of next year will be this monumental upgrade over what Hunter provided for them this past year.

Nome
12-15-12, 07:29 AM
Those contracts were reasonable by Arod standards, particularly Hamilton's five year deal compared to ten for a broken down steroids user.

We are into this guy for a gazillion dollars and years and his body is ravaged by roids, and its choking us to death.

Anibel Sanchez's recent contract must rank up there also

Andy

RhodyYanksFan
12-15-12, 07:51 AM
Those contracts were reasonable by Arod standards, particularly Hamilton's five year deal compared to ten for a broken down steroids user.

Exactly. Even signing Pujols to a contract that lasts through age 41 is smarter because A) he's never been linked to steroids B) he plays a less stressful position than 3B C) he can become your DH if you plan accordingly (something else the Yanks haven't done).

ARod's deal is the worst in baseball history. Second worse right now is Ryan Howard's which was ridiculous even before it kicked in this season.

snapple
12-21-12, 04:03 PM
not even if it's not meant to be mean spirited? alright...

sweet_lou_14
12-21-12, 04:45 PM
^ I love a good Photoshop as much as anyone, but I don't think it's cool for Hamilton (or any other player struggling with a substance abuse issue) to be mocked like this.