PDA

View Full Version : Braves trade Tommy Hanson to the Angels for Jordan Walden.

teknetic
11-30-12, 01:51 PM
The hell?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8694819/tommy-hanson-traded-atlanta-braves-jordan-walden-los-angeles-angels

False1
11-30-12, 01:52 PM
Dang. Not sure why the Braves gave up on Hanson.

Yankee Tripper
11-30-12, 01:56 PM
seems like an odd return and a sell low on Hanson. If they got a bat or prospects this would make more sense. Do they really need another setup guy?

teknetic
11-30-12, 01:59 PM
Especially one that has shoulder issues and does this:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/703180/WaldenMotion.gif.opt.gif

MoVaughnEatsAlot
11-30-12, 02:22 PM
This trade doesn't really make sense to me.

Ram Man
11-30-12, 03:47 PM
The Braves are positioning themselves to not ever have to use starting pitchers. Just have a bullpen full of guys and let them pitch the entire game, one inning each.

False1
11-30-12, 03:55 PM
The Braves must be concerned about Hanson's shoulder. He did lose a few ticks off the FB last year, and he had the shoulder issue in '11... but still I think they probably could/should have gotten more for him in return than a setup guy with injury concerns of his own.

Jax Teller
11-30-12, 05:12 PM
Yeah I don't understand this trade at all. The Braves already have a stud bullpen and they trade Hanson for ultimately a setup man? He isn't taking Kimbrel's job.

Really confused by this move, even if they are concerned about Hanson.

jcarey
11-30-12, 08:11 PM
Yeah I don't understand this trade at all. The Braves already have a stud bullpen and they trade Hanson for ultimately a setup man? He isn't taking Kimbrel's job.

Really confused by this move, even if they are concerned about Hanson.

Would you give up Joba for Hanson?

awy
11-30-12, 08:20 PM
lol wow

Jax Teller
11-30-12, 08:35 PM
Would you give up Joba for Hanson?

I would.

just-blaze
11-30-12, 09:23 PM
I would.

I wouldnt, but thats only because Joba would be starting if I had such power.

The trade does seem odd. Not enough for Hanson and Walden as the return doesnt really fit.

Clive
11-30-12, 11:37 PM
The Braves must be concerned about Hanson's shoulder. He did lose a few ticks off the FB last year, and he had the shoulder issue in '11... but still I think they probably could/should have gotten more for him in return than a setup guy with injury concerns of his own.I think you're right on the money here. Atlanta wanted to get something of value for him instead of watching him turn into the next Jair Jurrjens. Hanson was made expendable thanks to the Maholm deal and Medlen's crazy half-year.

SI Baseballman
12-01-12, 12:37 AM
I think you're right on the money here. Atlanta wanted to get something of value for him instead of watching him turn into the next Jair Jurrjens. Hanson was made expendable thanks to the Maholm deal and Medlen's crazy half-year.

Hudson-Medlen-Minor-Maholm. Teheran and Delgado are 2 young prospects competing for the 5th starter spot and Beachy comes back at the All Star Break from TJ surgery. Hanson was expendable.

False1
12-01-12, 01:17 AM
Hudson-Medlen-Minor-Maholm. Teheran and Delgado are 2 young prospects competing for the 5th starter spot and Beachy comes back at the All Star Break from TJ surgery. Hanson was expendable.I'm not saying he shouldn't have been a trade candidate, I'm just surprised they shipped him out for Walden.

Snatch Catch
12-01-12, 06:56 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/law_keith/catId/Player~10~30191/tommy-hanson

The Angels didn't give up a ton for Hanson, but Hanson is so diminished at this point by shoulder and back problems that I'm not sure I'd want any part of him at his projected $4 million salary in arbitration. Hanson's a mess, and even when healthy in 2012 was barely above replacement level. He got worse as the season went on, and his fastball hasn't been the same since the shoulder problems began in earnest in 2011.

He doesn't have a great delivery, one that relies more on his arm than his legs to generate velocity, with late arm acceleration and minimal hip rotation, and he's fairly unathletic as well.

His command and control are both in decline as well, and unless the Angels plan to do something radical, such as giving him extra time off between starts or perhaps start his 2013 season later to try to build up strength in his shoulder and ensure that his back is 100 percent, I'm not optimistic that he'll be able to help their rotation.

Also, the fangraphs illustration showing his average FB velocity being 89.6 MPH last year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?playerid=9129&position=P&pitch=FA

http://www.fangraphs.com/fgraphs/9129_P_FA_20121002.png

NelsonMuntz
12-01-12, 11:27 AM
When the Braves are in a hurry to trade a pitcher it's probably because said pitcher is damaged goods.

flymick24
12-01-12, 07:00 PM
the way that i look at it is walden was the best offer they could get

The FUTURE
12-02-12, 11:10 PM
People see a pitcher with ace-stuff in Hanson and instantly think it is a bad deal for the braves. However, as a braves fan, I love this deal. Hanson has been on a steady decline for awhile now, fastball is down from 94 to sitting at 90 all last season. Hanson is always an injury concern as well. In Walden, the braves acquire a RP that can throw 100 mph to go along with Craig Kimbrel, Jonny Venters and Eric O'Flaherty, that's an extremely good bullpen.

I know Walden is an injury concern as well, but on paper, I love the deal. The bravos re-signed Maholm to go along with a healthly Tim Hudson, two young pitchers in Kris Medlen and Mike Minor and eventually Brandon Beachy after he returns from injury. They have Randall Delgado and Julio Teheran to fill the 5th starter spot until Beachy returns.

In addition the move saves the braves 4 million dollars which frees them up to make a run at OF Shane Victorino to fill their LF & lead-off spots.

All that being said, Tommy Hanson is a great young pitcher with the potential (if he can regain his stuff) to make the braves look foolish for letting him go. I wish him the best, the Angels are getting a good pitcher & a great clubhouse guy.

Hitman23
12-02-12, 11:57 PM
If nothing else the Braves now have probably the best bullpen in baseball.

The FUTURE
12-03-12, 02:08 PM
If nothing else the Braves now have probably the best bullpen in baseball.

esp. if Walden regains his all-star 2011 form