PDA

View Full Version : The Glory of their Times

Danmel
08-14-01, 04:00 PM
I've been plugging this book lately-it is a wonderful book about baseball at the turn of the century- Lawrence Ritter travelled around the country tracking down old ball players and recording their stories before they died. it is a fascinating account of their times and the way the game was played. Among the players he interviewed are Rube Marquard, Tommy Leach. Davy Jones, Sam Crawford, Fred Snodgrass, Smoky joe Wood, Chief Meyers, Bill Wambsganss, Goose Goslin, & Hank Greenberg.

There are wonderful pictures and I highly recommend it to all baseball fans. I read it every baseball season and enjoy it every time. Let me know what you think!

NetShrine.com
08-14-01, 05:07 PM
I recommend the CD as well - - it's from the tapes of the interviews that Ritter used to write the book. Nothing better than the stories in their own voices!

Slippery Elm
08-15-01, 03:49 AM
Not exactly a new book. It's been around a LONG time. Read it years ago; occasionally re-read parts.

Danmel
08-15-01, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Slippery Elm
Not exactly a new book. It's been around a LONG time. Read it years ago; occasionally re-read parts.

No and I read it along time ago too but lots of people don't know it-so for them it's new. A new edition came out a few years ago and it's still in rpint-so why not?

Gehrig
08-15-01, 07:34 AM
Hey thanks for the info ! I've heard about this book and keep forgetting to pick it up. Thanks for "reminding me" !! It's one I've been meaning to get...

NetShrine.com
08-15-01, 08:41 AM
Speaking of "old" classic books that may be new to some:
Veeck As In Wreck
A must read for any baseball fan
also re-released of late