PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Playoffs

Big_E
05-18-12, 07:26 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/new-one-game-wild-card-on-tbs-oct-5-1.3724920

The one-game "playoff" will be October 5th.

The "first round" will be 2-3 instead of 2-2-1 (they SAY for 2012 only).

Have I said lately how much I hate Bud Selig?

35Knucklecurve
05-18-12, 09:52 AM
When I heard this newest disaster of an idea, I couldn't imagine what Selig was thinking.....then I remembered, he doesn't.

Why would you want to give the advantage to the team with the lesser wins? You're supposed to be rewarded for finishing with a better record....henceforth the term, home field advantage. That doesn't just mean you play the majority of 5 games at your ballpark.....you also play the first games at your ballpark.

This Bud is not for me. :P

effdamets
05-18-12, 10:35 AM
Hatred doesn't even begin to describe the feelings towards Selig.
Overall - I want a speeding bus to run him down so he can cease with the effing up of baseball.
I'm still searching for the adjective to describe the lowest level of human intelligence so I can pin it on that exceptional waste of space....

GordonGecko
05-18-12, 11:15 AM
I hate Bud Selig because he's allowed Buck and Mcarver to become the voice of baseball in the postseason, what a disaster

bigjf
05-18-12, 03:16 PM
Seriously? So the team with the worse record is gonna get the first two games of that series? I can't believe the owners ever approved of that! That is guaranteed gate and concession sales that they passed up on. I don't even know what to say to that. I'm glad I'm not a business major or else I'd have a seizure.

Commissioner: "How would you like to potentially lose money for earning a better record?"

Owners: "Yes please!"

:eek:

Yankee Tripper
05-18-12, 03:21 PM
Why is this news now? I mean they announced this quite awhile ago when the extra playoff round was added and the WS dates were set.

2-3 isn't really new either. They did that when WC first came out after strike to save on travel. It sucked and they changed it.

Hopefully this will be just a 1 year thing.

Yankee Tripper
05-18-12, 03:23 PM
Seriously? So the team with the worse record is gonna get the first two games of that series? I can't believe the owners ever approved of that! That is guaranteed gate and concession sales that they passed up on. I don't even know what to say to that. I'm glad I'm not a business major or else I'd have a seizure.

Commissioner: "How would you like to potentially lose money for earning a better record?"

Owners: "Yes please!"

:eek:
I don't think that's an issue. Don't the players get the gate for the first x games in a playoff round where x = minimum number of games to win series. Then remaining gate is split between teams 50/50? At least that's how I always thought it was done.

Blazer
05-18-12, 08:39 PM
I don't think that's an issue. Don't the players get the gate for the first x games in a playoff round where x = minimum number of games to win series. Then remaining gate is split between teams 50/50? At least that's how I always thought it was done.

I believe the home team gets 100% of the gate from all elimination games. This new format gives the better team a greater opportunity to take advantage of that.

BronxYanks45
05-20-12, 02:35 PM
it has to be 2-3 only this year due to travel since the wildcard game was added once the schedule was set

AuroraBomberalis
05-21-12, 07:59 AM
I just think it's a joke that you play 162 games for it to be decided by 1 game, when in hockey and basketball, you play half as many regular season games but the first round is 7 games.

Not only should there be no 1 game playoff, the first round should be 7 games, even if you have to cut back to 154 regular season games.

Baseball is run by idiots.

CalYankeeFan
05-21-12, 08:24 AM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/new-one-game-wild-card-on-tbs-oct-5-1.3724920

The one-game "playoff" will be October 5th.

The "first round" will be 2-3 instead of 2-2-1 (they SAY for 2012 only).

Have I said lately how much I hate Bud Selig?

HUH?

http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/seligbud_blogs.ajc.com_.jpg

bigjf
05-21-12, 08:32 AM

I don't recall exactly how it works, but it is gonna feel odd, even just for one year, for the team with the worse record to get the first games of the series, even though HFA isn't necessarily as big a factor in baseball as other sports...