PDA

View Full Version : JoePa Gravely Ill; Possibly Near Death

Big_E
01-21-12, 06:37 PM
http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34494852

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/21/reports-paterno-gravely-ill-family-summoned-to-state-college/

http://www.nj.com/collegefootball/index.ssf/2012/01/joe_paterno_penn_state_legend.html

JDPNYY
01-21-12, 06:40 PM
It's very sad news that he looked the other way while children were being abused.

dabomb2045
01-21-12, 07:24 PM
Didnt realize he got this sick this fast....didnt he just give a TV interview like last week?

Yankees1962
01-21-12, 07:32 PM
Didnt realize he got this sick this fast....didnt he just give a TV interview like last week?
Even before the cancer news broke, I thought at his age, he wouldn't live a year pass his firing.

fredgmuggs
01-21-12, 07:53 PM
It's very sad news that he looked the other way while children were being abused.

Unfortunately that is his legacy now.

Big_E
01-21-12, 08:53 PM
Joe Paterno is gone...

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34497800?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

RIP to a legendary coach.

JDPNYY
01-21-12, 08:59 PM
Unfortunately that is his legacy now.

Unfortunately children suffered so he could stay on his high horse.

Sorry, I have no sympathy for the man.

26 and counting
01-21-12, 09:01 PM
Joe Paterno is gone...

http://eye-on-collegefootball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/24156338/34497800?ttag=gen10_on_all_fb_na_txt_0001

Nobody else has announced it yet. Not even ESPN.

yankees2010
01-21-12, 09:08 PM
I think it is fascinating to see ESPN almost ignore this story, as though they have no idea how to handle it.

I can't find any sympathy for him though

xenadanielle
01-21-12, 09:27 PM
Hm...on the one hand I want to say "that didn't take long" but it seems tasteless. But I think a broken heart has something to do with his passing. The whole situation is sh!tty.

xenadanielle
01-21-12, 09:31 PM
Wait. Is this a hoax?

Soriambi
01-21-12, 09:35 PM
Joe Paterno is gone...

That link now says that the death reports have been refuted by his family.

26 and counting
01-21-12, 09:36 PM
CBS Sports has removed the article from their website.

Big_E
01-22-12, 10:31 AM
ESPN now reporting his death...

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7489238/joe-paterno-ex-penn-state-nittany-lions-coach-dies-85-2-month-cancer-fight?eleven=twelve

JDPNYY
01-22-12, 10:32 AM
Joe's dead again.

xenadanielle
01-22-12, 10:43 AM
Joe's dead again.

Yeah, they now have the 2012 there.

grizy
01-22-12, 11:02 AM
He will forever known as the enabler that let Sandusky abuse tens, maybe even hundreds of kids.

He does have some positive legacies but none of it can atone for what he allowed Sandusky to do.

The only mitigating factor I could think of is he probably knows literally nothing but football and seriously could not intellectually process the ................storm right under his nose.

Meanwhile, a great cult leader has passed away. All hail His Holy Majesty, High Priest and Father of the Church of PSU, Joe Paterno.

http://media.pennlive.com/patriot-news/photo/2012/01/10472800-large.jpg

PS: or you could spend the day looking the other way in his honor.

Soriambi
01-22-12, 11:16 AM

BroadwayBomber55
01-22-12, 12:54 PM
A mixed bag for Joe Paterno in his career after what has happened in the last three months.

JDPNYY
01-22-12, 01:14 PM
A mixed bag for Joe Paterno in his career after what has happened in the last three months.

A mixed bag would indicate that there was something good about him.

BroadwayBomber55
01-22-12, 01:29 PM
A mixed bag would indicate that there was something good about him.

The good: his coaching career at Penn State on the field.

The bad: the Jerry Sandusky scandal off the field.

JDPNYY
01-22-12, 01:31 PM
The good: his coaching career at Penn State on the field.

The bad: the Jerry Sandusky scandal off the field.

When a man looks the other way while children are abused, there is no good to that man.

BroadwayBomber55
01-22-12, 01:57 PM
When a man looks the other way while children are abused, there is no good to that man.

People will talk about the Jerry Sandusky scandal and people will also talk about JoePa being the winningest coach in NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football coach with 409 and is the only FBS coach to reach 400 victories.

So, there's two sides of the coin Johnny.

Soriambi
01-22-12, 01:59 PM

I think the inclusion of the words "on the field" in his post make it an accurate idea. If he had stopped at "his coaching career at Penn State," I think it's certainly debatable whether that was good (and in my opinion he was a failure as a coach due to the choices he made), but on the field, I don't think that you can argue that his record was objectively good. I don't think that does anything to redeem him, though. If he's a two sided coin, I think it's a weighted one that doesn't ever come up heads. If BB55 is suggesting otherwise, I definitely disagree, but I'm not sure he is.

YankeePride1967
01-22-12, 02:04 PM
People will talk about the Jerry Sandusky scandal and people will also talk about JoePa being the winningest coach in NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) football coach with 409 and is the only FBS coach to reach 400 victories.

So, there's two sides of the coin Johnny.

I think overlooking the rape of children far outweighs 409 million wins on a football field. I don't wish death on anyone but I will not shed a tear either.

fredgmuggs
01-22-12, 02:08 PM
I think the inclusion of the words "on the field" in his post make it an accurate idea. If he had stopped at "his coaching career at Penn State," I think it's certainly debatable whether that was good (and in my opinion he was a failure as a coach due to the choices he made), but on the field, I don't think that you can argue that his record was objectively good. I don't think that does anything to redeem him, though. If he's a two sided coin, I think it's a weighted one that doesn't ever come up heads.

I look at this Penn State scandal and Paterno was far from the worse offender. But Good God, he was JOE PATERNO and he had the juice to do what was right, especially when the university chose to whitewash it. And that's what bothers me. - he chose to wash his hands and say "hey, I passed it along the chain of command when I was given that information."

An entire lifetime of achievement flushed down the toilet because he didn't have the guts to do what needed to be done. I had a lot of respect for Paterno and I do have some empathy for the position he was in but he didn't do the right thing. And I believe in his heart he must have known that.

Soriambi
01-22-12, 02:14 PM
I look at this Penn State scandal and Paterno was far from the worse offender. But Good God, he was JOE PATERNO and he had the juice to do what was right, especially when the university chose to whitewash it. And that's what bothers me. - he chose to wash his hands and say "hey, I passed it along the chain of command when I was given that information."

An entire lifetime of achievement flushed down the toilet because he didn't have the guts to do what needed to be done. I had a lot of respect for Paterno and I do have some empathy for the position he was in but he didn't do the right thing. And I believe in his heart he must have known that.

I hope so. I had enormous respect for him, too. I don't have any doubt that a situation like that must have been very difficult to deal with, but at the same time I think the right path in the situation was very clear and there are no excuses for not following it for anyone involved.

JDPNYY
01-22-12, 02:48 PM
I think the inclusion of the words "on the field" in his post make it an accurate idea. If he had stopped at "his coaching career at Penn State," I think it's certainly debatable whether that was good (and in my opinion he was a failure as a coach due to the choices he made), but on the field, I don't think that you can argue that his record was objectively good. I don't think that does anything to redeem him, though. If he's a two sided coin, I think it's a weighted one that doesn't ever come up heads. If BB55 is suggesting otherwise, I definitely disagree, but I'm not sure he is.

Hitler had a few nice Watercolor Paintings.