PDA

View Full Version : MLSE Sold to Rogers (Jays Ownership) & Bell Communication

Yanksfanintoronto
12-09-11, 09:41 AM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/12/09/rogers-bell-buy-majority-stake-in-mlse/

Not only is this bad news for Canadian Sports fans but it also but might be a death knell for the Jays in terms of being financially competitive.

JDPNYY
12-09-11, 10:13 AM
http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/12/09/rogers-bell-buy-majority-stake-in-mlse/

Not only is this bad news for Canadian Sports fans but it also but might be a death knell for the Jays in terms of being financially competitive.

Not sure what any of that Canadaia stuff means, but the Jays not being competitive sounds like good news to me. I have no idea why MLB even wants to have a team in a foreign country.

SatchelPaigeYankee
12-09-11, 10:43 AM

im confused. how so?

“This is a wonderful way of bringing media and content under the same umbrella,” Rogers president Nadir Mohamed said at the news conference on Friday, adding that Rogers’ ownership of the Toronto Blue Jays would not be affected.

?

SatchelPaigeYankee
12-09-11, 10:44 AM
Not sure what any of that Canadaia stuff means, but the Jays not being competitive sounds like good news to me. I have no idea why MLB even wants to have a team in a foreign country.

man, this was so clever. a really unique joke that surely charmed you as extensively as it did me

JDPNYY
12-09-11, 10:48 AM
man, this was so clever. a really unique joke that surely charmed you as extensively as it did me

Thanks Satch!!!1!!!1! :)

Yanksfanintoronto
12-09-11, 10:51 AM
Two media conglomerates merging and owning the largest sports entity in the country means that there is no more competition for the fans sports $. Which possibly means that we will be charged more for the media content.

Plus, if anyone watched the conference they noticed that no 'bringing of championships' or ways of winning were mentioned. It was all about media content and more options. The YES network came up as an example. I quite frankly find myself already paying a lot to consume sports. I don't care about having more 'options'.

Satchel, him saying that has no bearing. If you know the history of this town in the past few decades, the Jays have been handled very badly by Rogers ownership. The only difference between a city like NY and Toronto is that fans are too dumb here to realize that due to a lack of options.

As a Yankees fan, I am extremely glad that the Jays are probably getting shoved aside. Being under the same ownership umbrella as the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors can only mean bad things for them.

Yanksfanintoronto
12-09-11, 11:05 AM

Lol so Yankees fans stuck here such as myself can watch the team live 9 times a year!

Yanksfanintoronto
12-09-11, 11:51 AM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/mlse-deal-is-bad-news-for-sports-fans/article2265610/

Yankee Fan in Boston
12-09-11, 07:17 PM
Two media conglomerates merging and owning the largest sports entity in the country means that there is no more competition for the fans sports $. Which possibly means that we will be charged more for the media content.

Plus, if anyone watched the conference they noticed that no 'bringing of championships' or ways of winning were mentioned. It was all about media content and more options. The YES network came up as an example. I quite frankly find myself already paying a lot to consume sports. I don't care about having more 'options'.

Satchel, him saying that has no bearing. If you know the history of this town in the past few decades, the Jays have been handled very badly by Rogers ownership. The only difference between a city like NY and Toronto is that fans are too dumb here to realize that due to a lack of options.

As a Yankees fan, I am extremely glad that the Jays are probably getting shoved aside. Being under the same ownership umbrella as the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors can only mean bad things for them.

I don't really know much about this, but isn't a winning team more valuable to this conglomerate? The Yankees used to need to win to satisfy George's ego, but now it's part of a business plan to maximize profits. Isn't that a potential outcome here?

SatchelPaigeYankee
12-09-11, 10:59 PM
Thanks Satch!!!1!!!1! :)

anytime, my love

Yanksfanintoronto
12-14-11, 03:31 PM
I don't really know much about this, but isn't a winning team more valuable to this conglomerate? The Yankees used to need to win to satisfy George's ego, but now it's part of a business plan to maximize profits. Isn't that a potential outcome here?

Good question...one that sports fans in this area have wrestled with for years now. While a winning team would help their brand, it has very little to zero effect on their bottomline as has been evident for years.

The Yankees share market space with the Mets, Knicks, Rangers, Nets, Devils, Islanders, Jets and Giants. They all have different ownership groups that compete with each other for the sports $. In this case, Rogers now owns the 3 biggest teams in Toronto and their only major competitor (Bell) has just joined them as well, hence eliminating competition for Broadcasting rights and TV revenue. Sure they still have their own personal interests, but they wont undercut each other to satisfy the customer. All of this is going to trickle down to the sports fan eventually.

The Leafs losing every year has almost added to the brand value ala the Red Sox for those 80 odd years. The 'hunger' for winning is something they have marketed and instead of realizing the bad spot that they have been put in, fans instead have eaten it up.