PDA

View Full Version : Nassau County Residents: Do Not Forget To Vote NO At the Polls Tomorrow

Throgs
07-31-11, 04:44 PM
Just a reminder for all our Nassua County residents to get out to the poles and vote NO tomorrow on giving a billionaire a handout for an unneeded arena.

That's right, the US is about to default, we are not asking billionaires (like Wang) to contribute more in taxes, we are asking Grandma to take less in medicare; and at the same time Charles Wang wants US to use our non-disposable income to subsidize his arena.

This from a man who has proven to be a bad businessman (lost $200 million of his own dollars with the Isles), so he why not give him our tax dollars which could go to funding teachers/social workers since he is SO responsible?

I mean, Long Island really needs the Islanders, otherwise we would have just 2 NHL teams, and we would have only 3 state of the art arenas (MSG/Barclays/Prudential).
We all know the NY area really needs a 3rd NHL full of goons and a 4th arena moreso than we need to pay down our debt or provide medicare.

Sorry for comparing the two but it really shows a lot of chutzpa that in a time when we are slashing medicare and not able to pay our debt we are being asked to give some billionaire who is a bad businessman our money so we can have a 3rd local hockey team.

VOTE NO.

****Note To Mods: This is NOT meant to be a political thread, but given this is about OUR tax dollars I had to include for perspective current events. I did not know how else to post this topic without providing these details.

JDPNYY
07-31-11, 05:24 PM
sounds political.

Mr Coffee
07-31-11, 06:30 PM
sounds political.

C'mon-- did you even read the disclaimer?

ymike673
08-01-11, 12:15 AM
I wonder which area team you root for. My guess is the one on 7th ave.

A new Coliseum benifits the area.

Vote "No" and the Isles move out. The Coliseum is torn down and the county loses revenue and jobs from the events that are held at the Coliseum.

Isles can move to the Barclay Center so there would still be 3 NHL teams in the area.

Wang's "Lighthouse" project was a bad idea but this plan is a good one.

VOTE YES if you live in Nassau County.

mjdlight
08-01-11, 03:38 PM
Isles can move to the Barclay Center so there would still be 3 NHL teams in the area
The original design of the Barclay Center would have been able to accommodate a hockey configuration but the final, cheaper (200 million dollars cheaper) revised design is basketball only.

The borough president in Queens said today that if the vote fails in Nassau County, Queens would have interest in the Islanders. That would probably be their only hope of staying in the NYC area if this referendum does not pass.

I would say its at least a fairly strong possibility the Islanders leave the area in 2015 if the vote fails today.

RogerNatural
08-01-11, 06:03 PM
The premise of this thread is so idiotic. First of all, just where do you think revenue comes from to pay for social programs ? Eh? Taxes. Who pays taxes ? They're paid from income, from sales, & from excise taxes. How are these generated ? By commerce. No coliseum = no sports, no concerts, no family entertainment.... - NO DOLLARS !! In any business, you must invest for a return. When there's nothing in Uniondale, there's no money generated. When the place is empty, & nothing left, you can thank all the "no" voters = "NO" is a vote for nothing. And the taxes in Nassau county will go up more, since no tax revenue is generated from a ghost town. :mad:

JDPNYY
08-01-11, 06:48 PM
No Coliseum in Uniondale means no one in Uniondale's personal lives will be a Noine.

AMYanks
08-01-11, 07:13 PM
No Coliseum in Uniondale means no one in Uniondale's personal lives will be a Noine.

And without all the jobs it would create, their professional lives will be a two.

Yankee Fan in Boston
08-01-11, 08:22 PM
The premise of this thread is so idiotic. First of all, just where do you think revenue comes from to pay for social programs ? Eh? Taxes. Who pays taxes ? They're paid from income, from sales, & from excise taxes. How are these generated ? By commerce. No coliseum = no sports, no concerts, no family entertainment.... - NO DOLLARS !! In any business, you must invest for a return. When there's nothing in Uniondale, there's no money generated. When the place is empty, & nothing left, you can thank all the "no" voters = "NO" is a vote for nothing. And the taxes in Nassau county will go up more, since no tax revenue is generated from a ghost town. :mad:

I don't know a lot about the specifics here, but it's pretty much a myth that building new stadiums is a revenue generator for a local market

A new sports facility has an extremely small (perhaps even negative) effect on overall economic activity and employment. No recent facility appears to have earned anything approaching a reasonable return on investment. No recent facility has been self-financing in terms of its impact on net tax revenues. Regardless of whether the unit of analysis is a local neighborhood, a city, or an entire metropolitan area, the economic benefits of sports facilities are de minimus.

http://www.brookings.edu/articles/1997/summer_taxes_noll.aspx

Stick Michael
08-01-11, 11:05 PM
Political thread. Wish I had seen it earlier so forumers wouldn't have been burdened with it. First and last warning: no political threads. Period.