PDA

View Full Version : Let's Go Islanders! 2011-2012 thread.

ymike673
04-25-11, 12:56 PM
We get someone good in the draft, sign Grabner and stay away from the injury bug and the Isles are going to suprise some people next season.

Good shot at the playoffs as long as they play the way they did the second half of last season.

ymike673
05-26-11, 10:25 AM
Isles sign Okposo to a 5 year extension. Nice move!

ymike673
06-24-11, 10:26 AM
Isles get a break next season. Lots of home games to start the season. Might be the first time the Isles ever opened a season with 4 home games.

philleotardo
06-24-11, 08:19 PM
Tell me something about Ryan Strome

Pinstripedbass
06-25-11, 01:43 PM
Tell me something about Ryan Stromer

Excellent skater. Very fast. Probably one year away from being NHL-ready.

CanoForPresident
06-25-11, 01:50 PM
Tell me something about Ryan Stromer

Hes a beast.

Was hoping the Isles would take Couturier since I don't see the upside in him, but Strome has it in spades. Not only does he have all the offensive tools you want in a first line player, hes so damn unpredictable out on the ice.

FWIW, I think hes got the highest offensive ceiling of any forward taken in the draft. Will he reach it? Probably not but even if he comes close, you've got a center who is feeding Tavares to 50+ goal seasons.

He needs atleast one more year in the O (Though if management wants to bailey him, I'm completely fine with that ;) ) but thats only because he needs time to fill out his frame. His skills are NHL ready.

The Isles could have ................ed up with the rest of their picks and this draft would still be a success for them. A+++ pick for the Isles.

ymike673
06-25-11, 09:57 PM
Hes a beast.

Was hoping the Isles would take Couturier since I don't see the upside in him, but Strome has it in spades. Not only does he have all the offensive tools you want in a first line player, hes so damn unpredictable out on the ice.

FWIW, I think hes got the highest offensive ceiling of any forward taken in the draft. Will he reach it? Probably not but even if he comes close, you've got a center who is feeding Tavares to 50+ goal seasons.

He needs atleast one more year in the O (Though if management wants to bailey him, I'm completely fine with that ;) ) but thats only because he needs time to fill out his frame. His skills are NHL ready.

The Isles could have ................ed up with the rest of their picks and this draft would still be a success for them. A+++ pick for the Isles.

Thanks for the info.

Strom, Tavares, Grabner,Okposo. Looks like the Isles could be an offense force very soon. Now if they can just find a capable goaltender we could finally have a real contender again on the Isle!

AMYanks
06-25-11, 10:32 PM
Strome was my favorite player in the draft. Sucks that I have to root against him now.

AMYanks
06-28-11, 09:18 PM
@TSNBobMcKenzie (http://twitter.com/#%21/TSNBobMcKenzie) Bob McKenzie
VAN trades Christian Ehrhoff's negotiating rights to NYI for a 4th round pick.

dabomb2045
06-28-11, 10:22 PM
I really like what the Isles are doing....maybe on their way to being relevant again. As a Rangers fan who is too young to remember the rivalry during the 70s-80s, I've never really seen the Isles and Rangers be good at the same time. My hatred has always been thrown towards the Devils since we've met in the playoffs so many times, have been good at the same time etc. I've always been kinda indifferent towards the Isles. Maybe if you guys get good again (and the Rangers keep getting better) this will become a legit rivalry again, and I'll grow some hatred for y'all ;)

ymike673
06-29-11, 10:31 AM
@TSNBobMcKenzie (http://twitter.com/#%21/TSNBobMcKenzie) Bob McKenzie
VAN trades Christian Ehrhoff's negotiating rights to NYI for a 4th round pick.

Do not understand this move. Trading a 4th round pick for a player who will be an unrestricted free-agent on Friday. Why would Christian want to negotiate with anyone untill after Friday.
Looks like the "brain trust" wasted a draft pick.

ymike673
06-29-11, 10:33 AM
I really like what the Isles are doing....maybe on their way to being relevant again. As a Rangers fan who is too young to remember the rivalry during the 70s-80s, I've never really seen the Isles and Rangers be good at the same time. My hatred has always been thrown towards the Devils since we've met in the playoffs so many times, have been good at the same time etc. I've always been kinda indifferent towards the Isles. Maybe if you guys get good again (and the Rangers keep getting better) this will become a legit rivalry again, and I'll grow some hatred for y'all ;)

The rivalry was intense back then. Much more then Devils/Rangers is now.

Pinstripedbass
06-29-11, 10:05 PM
Ehrhoff turned down the Islanders.

It was a good gamble. A 4th round pick isn't going to make or break a team. I applaud Snow for taking a chance to get exclusivity to try and knock Ehrhoff"s socks off with an offer.

ymike673
06-30-11, 11:11 PM
Nice move. Isles traded his rights to Buffalo for their 4th round pick. So really nothing was lost. Too bad he did not want to come here.

Pinstripedbass
07-01-11, 03:06 PM
Isles sign Marty Reasoner to a 2yr, $2.7M deal. He had 14 goals last season for the Panthers.

Its a good upgrade over Zenon Konopka and his 2 goals for the 4th line.

philleotardo
07-28-11, 11:00 PM
Rolston, eh?

ymike673
07-29-11, 08:12 AM
Rolston, eh?

Not sure I like this deal. When healthy Hunter was a pretty good player for the Isles.

Pinstripedbass
07-29-11, 03:33 PM
Not sure I like this deal. When healthy Hunter was a pretty good player for the Isles.

I love this deal. Trent Hunter is never healthy. Injuries have slowed him down so much that he is ineffective. He will never be more than a 10 goal scorer.

njdhockey
07-29-11, 04:05 PM
It's a good deal for both teams. It gives the Devils cap space and a useful player (when healthy) and the Islanders get a vet to work with the young guys and he helps them hit the cap floor.

dabomb2045
08-01-11, 11:13 PM
New arena proposal does NOT pass

Voters in a suburban New York community already paying some of the highest property taxes in the country rejected a referendum Monday to borrow $400 million for the construction of a new hockey arena and ballpark.
The referendum failed in a 33,526 to 24,553 vote Monday in what elections officials said was a very low turnout for the unusual midsummer election.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/hockey/nhl/08/01/nassau.coliseum.redevelopment.ap/index.html#ixzz1TqEiFrz9

dabomb2045
08-01-11, 11:13 PM
Sorry Isles fans. I'm pretty surprised this didnt pass....but unfortunately I think it means the team will end up moving.

BonusCantos
08-01-11, 11:18 PM
REFERENDUM QUESTION:
(VOTE FOR) 1
(WITH 947 OF 1160 PRECINCTS COUNTED 81.64%)
YES/SI . . . . . . . . . . . 53,740 43.03%
NO/NO. . . . . . . . . . . . 71,138 56.97%
Total . . . . . . . . . 124,878

Pretty decisive (well, of the few percent of voters who bothered). Not looking good, sorry to those who have invested a lot of time, money, and effort in this franchise.

Big_E
08-02-11, 04:01 AM
Very upset with the people of Nassau County.

Good bye Islanders.
Good bye Nassau Coliseum.

Good bye circus. Good bye Globetrotters. Good bye concerts. Good bye Auto Show. Good bye Boat Show. Good bye...

ymike673
08-02-11, 08:18 AM
Wang has said the team will stay at the Coliseum thru 2015. So there is still time to come up with a new plan that will not cost the tax payers more money.

It's not over yet.

Big_E
08-02-11, 08:57 AM
Wang has said the team will stay at the Coliseum thru 2015. So there is still time to come up with a new plan that will not cost the tax payers more money.

It's not over yet.

Move them to Suffolk. We will welcome them with open arms.

ymike673
08-02-11, 10:24 AM
Move them to Suffolk. We will welcome them with open arms.

That's easy to say. There would have to be a countywide vote to fund an arena. Any reason to think the outcome would be any different from yesterday's vote?

Big_E
08-02-11, 01:05 PM
That's easy to say. There would have to be a countywide vote to fund an arena. Any reason to think the outcome would be any different from yesterday's vote?

Because Nassau sucks? ;)

Was there a county-wide referendum to build Bethpage Ballpark for the Ducks? Wang wouldn't pay for a new arena on land he did not own. If Suffolk donates land to Wang, would he build there on his own dime, with say, a percentage of the income from parking and ticket sales going to the county?

I like to think my Suffolk County brethren are a smarter bunch than the folks on the other side of the county line...

__starr69
08-02-11, 01:39 PM
Wang (or whoever owns the Islanders in the future) will keep breaking Nassau County for a new arena. Owners cry wolf all the time to get new stadiums and arenas, yet only a handful have walked the walk. The Giants and Twins put up multiple referendums in SF and Minnesota before they finally got what they want (albeit the Giants had to take less public money and Pohlad had to lobby for over 10 years, with every year being "the last year of baseball in Minnesota.")

New stadiums/arenas are almost never money makers for local governments. In fact, they're almost always net loses. If it was so profitable, why couldn't Wang find a group of investors, especially when he's in real estate? Wang's original Lighthouse plan was a better plan, but it was knocked down because it was too big.

Nassau County taxpayers have won the battle, but I do feel in the end Islander ownership will win the war (by getting the arena.) They may be more successful with a different legislature or in a better economy. Perhaps they may win a referendum in a November election where people show up to vote with no idea a sports team was on the ballot.

The Islanders (and really, the NHL) need to seriously consider hockey's long-term viability on Long Island, and the Islanders don't have much control over the big problems:

A) The metro area may not be able to maintain three hockey teams - the Devils came to NJ in 1982, partially because of:
B) White Flight/changing demographics: especially in Nassau County, many of hockey's traditional (white) fanbase are altogether leaving the area and (mostly poor) Blacks and Hispanics, and Asians are taking their place. These groups don't watch hockey.
The Islanders/NHL will have to do a much better job of reaching out to minority fans in the region.

Big_E
08-02-11, 01:47 PM
B)White Flight/changing demographics: especially in Nassau County, many of hockey's traditional (white) fanbase are altogether leaving the area and (mostly poor) Blacks and Hispanics, and Asians are taking their place. These groups don't watch hockey.
The Islanders/NHL will have to do a much better job of reaching out to minority fans in the region.

How do you explain the Devils? Newark is only 27.5% white (compared to 75% for Nassau and Suffolk).

NY does not support 3 hockey teams. I don't know anyone from LI who goes to Devils games. That is strictly a NJ + NY north of the city thing.

LI is perfect for the Islanders with over 3,000,000 between Nassau and Suffolk counties.

They just need a decent team.

But this is not just the Islanders. It's the circus. The Globetrotters. Concerts. Disney on Ice. Auto Shows, Boat Shows, Home Improvement Shows...

Bring that to Suffolk!

CanoForPresident
08-02-11, 06:48 PM
Sorry Isles fans. I'm pretty surprised this didnt pass....but unfortunately I think it means the team will end up moving.

Last thing I'd want to see but I think thats how this plays out.

I'm floored that this thing didn't pass.

ymike673
08-02-11, 10:28 PM
Because Nassau sucks? ;)

Was there a county-wide referendum to build Bethpage Ballpark for the Ducks? Wang wouldn't pay for a new arena on land he did not own. If Suffolk donates land to Wang, would he build there on his own dime, with say, a percentage of the income from parking and ticket sales going to the county?

I like to think my Suffolk County brethren are a smarter bunch than the folks on the other side of the county line...

I'm sure the Duck's park cost a lot less to build than a large indoor arena. If Nassau drops the ball on the arena I hope Suffolk gets a chance. But so far I have not heard anything from the Suffolk county gov. about any interest in an arena for the Isles.

RhodyYanksFan
08-03-11, 07:46 AM
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-02/new-york-s-nassau-county-seeks-private-funds-to-rebuild-islanders-arena.html

Look at that. A day after the public said no, he's looking for private funding. I hope the Isles stay on the Island, but I'm glad the bill didn't pass. Why should the public give the county government with the highest tax rates in the nation yet still has $100 million deficit, $400 million more - during a recession no less?

There is bound to be private investors willing to rebuild prime land in the middle of Uniondale. The government just wanted the taxpayers to foot the bill instead because then there's no repercussions for waste or overruns.

ymike673
08-03-11, 08:43 AM
A lot can happen in 4 years. Still a great chance the team remains in Nassau.

Now if Wang would just concentrate a little effort on putting a good team ON the ice it might be easier to secure funding for a new Coliseum.
Afterall it was the Mariners playoff run in 1995 that got them the funding for Saefco Field.
Same thing could happen in Nassau.

RhodyYanksFan
08-03-11, 09:40 AM

Now if Wang would just concentrate a little effort on putting a good team ON the ice it might be easier to secure funding for a new Coliseum.
Afterall it was the Mariners playoff run in 1995 that got them the funding for Saefco Field.

I heard Nabokov is open to playing for the Isles this year. Sure it's probably because it's there or nowhere, but if he can perform nearly as well as he did in San Jose (which shouldn't be too hard if the Isles D lives up to their skill as well) it could be the start of a change on the Island regarding getting players to actually come there.

Big_E
08-03-11, 11:41 AM
I...so far I have not heard anything from the Suffolk county gov. about any interest in an arena for the Isles.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/wang-i-want-to-keep-islanders-on-li-1.3072099

Wang has said that if a new Coliseum isn't built, he will move the Islanders after their lease expires in 2015. Officials in Suffolk County and Brooklyn have expressed interest in luring the team. Queens has been also been a frequently mentioned landing spot for the Islanders.

RhodyYanksFan
08-03-11, 12:00 PM
The building in Queens won't work because of how many seats get lost converting from a basketball court to hockey rink.

Here are two really good articles about this whole debacle. I really feel bad for Islander fans.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/862/no-place-like-home
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/1155/what-the-long-island-vote-means-for-the-islanders-and-their-fans

CanoForPresident
08-03-11, 06:00 PM
The building in Queens won't work because of how many seats get lost converting from a basketball court to hockey rink.

Here are two really good articles about this whole debacle. I really feel bad for Islander fans.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/862/no-place-like-home
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/1155/what-the-long-island-vote-means-for-the-islanders-and-their-fans

^ Interesting read. Thanks for posting!

Big_E
08-06-11, 02:27 PM
Suffolk would welcome the Islanders

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/wang-levy-discuss-suffolk-coliseum-sites-1.3078408

ymike673
08-06-11, 02:51 PM
Suffolk would welcome the Islanders

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/wang-levy-discuss-suffolk-coliseum-sites-1.3078408

Nice. But the big question is still.

Who pays for the arena?

mjdlight
08-07-11, 02:19 PM

The NVMC lease runs out in the summer of 2015. Wang, who has been taking a red ink bath for years at the NVMC, has said he won't stay a day longer there than he is legally obligated to under the lease. It takes 30 months, give or take, to build an arena.

Realistically, if shovels aren't hitting the ground by this time next year, the Isles are screwed. There is very little time left.

Big_E
08-07-11, 02:32 PM
The NVMC lease runs out in the summer of 2015. Wang, who has been taking a red ink bath for years at the NVMC, has said he won't stay a day longer there than he is legally obligated to under the lease. It takes 30 months, give or take, to build an arena.

Realistically, if shovels aren't hitting the ground by this time next year, the Isles are screwed. There is very little time left.

They could probably stay, year-to-year, if an arena is being built in Suffolk. But if there is nothing happening in Suffolk, then yeah, they are gone in 2015.

Donnybaseball72
10-09-11, 07:38 PM
What a let down last nights opener was. No offense at all. They couldn't get anything going. Either the Panthers are the most improved team in the NHL or the Islanders are not as good as I think they are.

Why was Strome a healthy scratch? Send him back to Niagra!

ymike673
10-10-11, 06:53 PM
Nice rebound today. Montoya looks like a keeper in goal.

Pinstripedbass
10-13-11, 08:41 PM
Isles beat Tampa 5-1. Solid 60 minute effort.

ymike673
10-14-11, 12:10 AM
If they don't catch the injury bug this team is going to suprise alot of people.
Great effort tonight.

Donnybaseball72
10-14-11, 05:58 PM
If they don't catch the injury bug this team is going to suprise alot of people.
Great effort tonight.

Well DP has already suffered his annual injury. Here's the kicker, he hasn't played in a regular season game yet. He got a concussion from Rolston's slapshot in practice Glass Joe strikes again!

ymike673
10-14-11, 10:46 PM
Well DP has already suffered his annual injury. Here's the kicker, he hasn't played in a regular season game yet. He got a concussion from Rolston's slapshot in practice Glass Joe strikes again!

That might be the best news of the season. Who needs DP anyway. Isles are stronger in goal with Montoya and Nabkov as his backup.

Donnybaseball72
10-15-11, 07:46 AM
That might be the best news of the season. Who needs DP anyway. Isles are stronger in goal with Montoya and Nabkov as his backup.

If the doctors deem a 3rd concussion to be career threatening and tell him he has to retire, then insurance will pick up the tab on the remaining years of his contract and he will be off the books. Money to resign Nielson and Montoya.

ymike673
10-15-11, 10:42 AM
If the doctors deem a 3rd concussion to be career threatening and tell him he has to retire, then insurance will pick up the tab on the remaining years of his contract and he will be off the books. Money to resign Nielson and Montoya.

We can hope. Even with out the concussions DP has not been the same since his leg surguries. If not for his insane contract he would not still be an Islander by now.

Donnybaseball72
10-15-11, 02:53 PM
We can hope. Even with out the concussions DP has not been the same since his leg surguries. If not for his insane contract he would not still be an Islander by now.

I never thought about that. Neil Smith wanted to sign him to a 5 year deal (one reason why he lasted 41 days) which would have just expired last season. Wang has no one to blame but himself.

philleotardo
10-15-11, 08:29 PM
Yeah, baby. Tavares is lighting it up.

ymike673
10-16-11, 01:23 PM
Great game! JT just gets better and better. Solid goaltending. And so far great penalty killing.

Wait to Grabner starts scoring. This team can definitly make the playoffs.

Donnybaseball72
10-16-11, 06:31 PM
Streit is right back to his pre-injury form and Hamonic is a stud, future allstar. It's actually shocking how much better our defense is than the Rangers and Lightning's were.

Never ever break up Tavares & Moulson. Moulson must love riding shotgun with him.

CanoForPresident
10-16-11, 06:46 PM
Rangers D at full health>>>> Isles D and it isn't really even close.

Not to mention it was the PP that won you guys the game.

Donnybaseball72
10-16-11, 07:17 PM

Planning on bringing Redden up from the AHL? :lol:

ymike673
10-16-11, 10:54 PM

Isles penalty killing not to bad either. So far Isles defense has given up 6 goals in their first 4 games. Montoya and Nabokov look great so far.
When Grabner starts scoring Isles will have two good scoring lines.
Do not know if they can stay ahead of the Rangers but so far the Isles look alot better then the last place predictions that people on the NHL forum have been saying about them.

philleotardo
10-17-11, 04:21 PM
#6 in ESPN Power Poll

ymike673
10-18-11, 12:18 AM
#6 in ESPN Power Poll

Really means nothing after 4 games but still nice to see.

RogerNatural
10-19-11, 08:53 PM
For the first time is a LONG time, I'm feeling optimistic... outlook is promising & seems on an upward trend. If the DP albatross can be shed, things will be even better.

RogerNatural
10-19-11, 09:04 PM
I really like what the Isles are doing....maybe on their way to being relevant again. As a Rangers fan who is too young to remember the rivalry during the 70s-80s, I've never really seen the Isles and Rangers be good at the same time. My hatred has always been thrown towards the Devils since we've met in the playoffs so many times, have been good at the same time etc. I've always been kinda indifferent towards the Isles. Maybe if you guys get good again (and the Rangers keep getting better) this will become a legit rivalry again, and I'll grow some hatred for y'all ;) Many people regard the Yanks-Sox rivalry to be the best. But since the upstart Isles whacked the Rangers in the 75 playoffs, I honestly think their rivalry was the most intense & thrilling of any in pro sports.
Throughout the 80's, it was absolutely fantastic. My business had season tix at the Coliseum during that time, and there was nothing, I mean nothing, that compared to Isle-Ranger games, or especially playoff series. Devils ? They're irrelevent.

ymike673
10-20-11, 10:27 AM
Many people regard the Yanks-Sox rivalry to be the best. But since the upstart Isles whacked the Rangers in the 75 playoffs, I honestly think their rivalry was the most intense & thrilling of any in pro sports.
Throughout the 80's, it was absolutely fantastic. My business had season tix at the Coliseum during that time, and there was nothing, I mean nothing, that compared to Isle-Ranger games, or especially playoff series. Devils ? They're irrelevent.

You are so right. Still remember that 1979 Semi Final Playoff Series against the Rangers. Hard to believe now but it was the main sports story in the NY Press for that month. Pushed everything else of the back page of the News and The Post.
The 1981 Semi Final was almost as big.

philleotardo
11-11-11, 09:41 AM
Damn, it's been 3 weeks since we've had anything good to say.

Donnybaseball72
11-11-11, 07:55 PM
I stayed up to watch them choke away a 3 goal lead. Crap like this makes me want to just give up on this team. I had such high hopes this year but little of the momentum of how they finished last season has to this season. Hamonic and MacDonald are not generating scoring chances. Comeau has been an utter disapointment. Okposo looks lost. The new additions have had a minimal impact. Please tell me Pandolfo is gone when El Nino's conditioning stint it up. I'd rather see our future now than another Garth Snow retread.:mad:

ymike673
11-13-11, 09:24 AM
Nothing seems to go right. When they put shots on goal they run into a hot goaltender. Thursday they are up 3 goals late in the second period and are on a PP and in the span of 1 minute go from 1 man up to 2 men down and give up a goal in the last minute. And Montoya seems to play less then the Naby and DP and I think he is better than either of them.

philleotardo
11-19-11, 10:07 PM
This team sucks. I wish I could be even a little bit more objective than that.

Donnybaseball72
11-20-11, 08:24 AM
Just when I think things get worse they do. DiPietro was an embarrassment last night. His puck handling skills are supposed to be an asset except when he passes one right into Nathan Horton's hands. He was too slow to even react to the 3rd blueline goal he gave up. You could just tell that Capuano has no faith in him and probably does not like him. DiPi is unfortunately washed up but is currently the only healthy goalie with experience. Anders Nillson made his NHL debut in relief and was not much better. He was the only reason I kept watching the game after the 1st period but turned it off after the 1st goal he gave up. I wake up and find out he have up 2 more for a 6-0 final score..

Amazingly goaltending is not the biggest problem with this team. the defense is actually worse this year even with the addition of Mark Streit (-5 last night!). Mike Motteau will find himself on waivers soon to make room for Ness or Donovan. Eaton is a $2.5 million/year mistake on a team that can't afford mistakes. Why didn't Snow just resign Andy Sutton. Why let a young productive dman like Jack Hillen go only to sign Steve Staios off the street during training camp?

It's just amazing how much better the Bruins were last night. It was like Canada vs Germany in the olympics. I've seen some bad Islanders hockey but they were completely outclassed and outplayed in every aspect of the game.

ymike673
11-20-11, 10:33 AM
Once Montoya recovers he should be the #1 goaltender. DP just can't move fast enough and he still make mistakes handling the puck.
And how many non-playoff years do we have to have before Snow is replaced. He never should have been named GM given he had no prior experience on this level when Wang gave him the job.

Donnybaseball72
11-20-11, 02:45 PM
Snow is here until Wang sells the team.

David Ulstrom called up so another forward will take a seat in the booth. I would insert Okposo back in the lineup and sit Rolston and Comeau.

ymike673
11-20-11, 05:38 PM
So of course after being out almost a year Crosby returns tomorrow to face the Isles twice this week.

Donnybaseball72
11-25-11, 01:24 PM
Isles try to sneak Comeau through waivers on Thanksgiving.

They don't celebrate Thanksgiving in November in Canada.

Comeau claimed by the Flames. Nice knowing you. What's interesting is that only the Ducks and Jackets has a higher waiver priority than the Flames but couldn't claim him for cap reasons. Before screaming at Garth Snow, he did try to trade him but there were no takers. Hopefully Snow can kick the wheels on a Kyle Turris trade though I wouldn't hold out hope.

So this should mean that El Nino is back in the lineup today right? Nope, scratched for a 3rd straight game. Now that's how you develop prospects! :-po'd-:

Big Cubano in goal today, Anders Nilson back in the A. Hopefully this means no more blow leads and OT losses by DP for a while.

ymike673
11-26-11, 09:04 AM
Isles try to sneak Comeau through waivers on Thanksgiving.

They don't celebrate Thanksgiving in November in Canada.

Comeau claimed by the Flames. Nice knowing you. What's interesting is that only the Ducks and Jackets has a higher waiver priority than the Flames but couldn't claim him for cap reasons. Before screaming at Garth Snow, he did try to trade him but there were no takers. Hopefully Snow can kick the wheels on a Kyle Turris trade though I wouldn't hold out hope.

So this should mean that El Nino is back in the lineup today right? Nope, scratched for a 3rd straight game. Now that's how you develop prospects! :-po'd-:

Big Cubano in goal today, Anders Nilson back in the A. Hopefully this means no more blow leads and OT losses by DP for a while.

Won't scream about Comeau but I still think drafting Nino was a mistake by Snow. There were better players available that were passed on by Garth.
Good to see Montoya back in goal.

Donnybaseball72
11-27-11, 07:22 AM
Finally a win. They are finally playing competitive hockey with Cubano in goal instead of the stiff. The first goal from Grabner to Moulson was a beauty.

ymike673
11-30-11, 08:31 AM
Another great game by Montoya last night. Anyone think he should not be the #1 goaltender on this team?

Donnybaseball72
11-30-11, 08:59 PM
Another great game by Montoya last night. Anyone think he should not be the #1 goaltender on this team?

Probably Wang

philleotardo
12-31-11, 04:54 PM
Slightly less crappy than Carolina.

ymike673
01-01-12, 12:40 AM
Howie Rose said the other night the the Isles are something like 15-1 in home games against the Western Conference over the last two seasons. Maybe if the Isles were moved to the West they could make the playoffs!

philleotardo
01-19-12, 10:22 PM
Nabokov earned his pay tonight.

Donnybaseball72
01-20-12, 09:05 PM
Nabokov earned his pay tonight.

League minimum! He went from villain to hero in 1 year. With DP on the shelf we are in good hands with Nabby and Big Cubano.

I am estatic over the play of Tavares this season. He has elevated his play to super star status. They guy plays at 100% on every shift and makes everyone around him better. Look at Okposo's stats since he moved to the JT line.

I am disappointed with Neiderneiter. 1 point in 22 games! He should have been sent back to the juniors with what is now a wasted rookie season. 19 year olds who can't crack the top 2 lines should not be in the NHL.

ymike673
01-22-12, 10:48 AM
League minimum! He went from villain to hero in 1 year. With DP on the shelf we are in good hands with Nabby and Big Cubano.

I am estatic over the play of Tavares this season. He has elevated his play to super star status. They guy plays at 100% on every shift and makes everyone around him better. Look at Okposo's stats since he moved to the JT line.

I am disappointed with Neiderneiter. 1 point in 22 games! He should have been sent back to the juniors with what is now a wasted rookie season. 19 year olds who can't crack the top 2 lines should not be in the NHL.

Neiderneiter never should have been drafted in the first place. There were better players available (2 stud defensemen) when he was drafted by Snow.

philleotardo
02-07-12, 09:08 PM
.500!

Donnybaseball72
02-07-12, 09:32 PM
Hell of a game by Nabokov. He was unbelievable behind a broken down defense.

ymike673
02-08-12, 10:25 AM
Great game! Isles on a pretty good run right now.

HelloNewman
02-18-12, 09:40 PM
Wow they really own the Hurricanes this year. Then again I guess most teams do ...

Donnybaseball72
02-19-12, 07:34 AM
I wish they could own the Canadians and Maple Leafs too. Then they might make the playoffs.

I'm going to the Ottawa game tomorrow. I really hope Nabby is in goal. I just picked him up on my fantasy team for the struggling Rask.

philleotardo
02-22-12, 07:30 AM
Sellers?

Donnybaseball72
02-22-12, 06:22 PM
Sellers?

Yes but not Nabby or P.A. Nabby could sign an extension soon and P.A. wants to return. He's going to get a huge raise. Those 42 assists are no fluke. I don't know what the Rangers didn't see in this guy for not making him a full timer.

Trade Eaton, Staios No-Reasoner, Pandawful or Jurcina. I'd add Rolston but the no one will touch even 1/3 of his $5. million contract.

Call up Ullstrom, Haley, Cizikas and Donovan.

CanoForPresident
02-23-12, 09:35 AM
Yes but not Nabby or P.A. Nabby could sign an extension soon and P.A. wants to return. He's going to get a huge raise. Those 42 assists are no fluke. I don't know what the Rangers didn't see in this guy for not making him a full timer.

Trade Eaton, Staios No-Reasoner, Pandawful or Jurcina. I'd add Rolston but the no one will touch even 1/3 of his $5. million contract.

Zero commitment to defense.

He's the type of player who will produce on a terrible team but won't do jack on a team actually going places. Hes the Mariusz Czerkawski of 2012.

ymike673
02-23-12, 12:43 PM
Zero commitment to defense.

He's the type of player who will produce on a terrible team but won't do jack on a team actually going places. Hes the Mariusz Czerkawski of 2012.

They could trade Nino.

CanoForPresident
02-23-12, 12:59 PM
They could trade Nino.

I have no idea wtf u guys are doing with Nino...

Poor kid is way in over his head.

Donnybaseball72
02-23-12, 06:55 PM
I have no idea wtf u guys are doing with Nino...

Poor kid is way in over his head.

I don't know either. He is about to produced the most unproductive rookie season in the history of the NHL. 1 point! I mean even Steve Webb could top that on his 5 minutes of ice team per night and he wasn't even drafted. Nino is expected to be much better even at age 19. Snow screwed up royally with Nino. He had till mid-December to send him back to juniors and has now wasted a year off his ELC, stunted his development and confidence. Forcing him to play with crappy linemates like NoReasoner, Pandawful and Wallace is no way to teach your top prospect to play in the NHL. They didn't stick Baily or Okposo on the 4th line their rookie years.

Next season he will be ticketed for the AHL to regroup. Hopefully Snow doesn't do the same thing to Strome. There's no foul in sending these kids back to the Juniors.

Speaking of Tim Wallace the TB Lighting are at it again claiming our fringe players off waivers. they just love our junk. This odd move actually hurts the Soundtigers more than the Islanders. He was their leading scorer when he was called up.

The Parenteau/Czerkawski comparisons are legit but he's still going to get a nice contract from somebody this summer. I hope it's with us.

ymike673
02-24-12, 08:56 AM
Maybe I'm wrong but I just do not think Nino will every be that good. Still think drafting him was a mistake when there were two highly rated D men available when it was Snow's turn to draft.

Strome looks like he could be really good so I hope they do not rush him.

philleotardo
02-24-12, 07:00 PM
Done.

Edit: And whistled for a cheap one.

philleotardo
02-28-12, 08:31 PM
Why the hell would Nabokov want to come back here?

Donnybaseball72
02-28-12, 09:42 PM
Why the hell would Nabokov want to come back here?

I'm not sure I want him back after his choke job tonight. Plus his prior 2 outings have been shaky. Or this defense just flat out sucks. I miss the Johnson/Hamrlik/Accoin days.

ymike673
02-29-12, 10:22 AM
I'm not sure I want him back after his choke job tonight. Plus his prior 2 outings have been shaky. Or this defense just flat out sucks. I miss the Johnson/Hamrlik/Accoin days.

Exactly which goal could you fault Nabby on last night?. He had no chance on any of them.

Baliey put the puck right on Ovechkin's stick for his breakaway to win the game.

RhodyYanksFan
03-01-12, 06:38 AM
Don't kill the messenger. I saw this on FB.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424161_10150601029674895_601619894_8970717_2130908620_n.jpg

ymike673
03-01-12, 10:24 AM
Don't kill the messenger. I saw this on FB.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/424161_10150601029674895_601619894_8970717_2130908620_n.jpg
Do they sell one for the Flyers with 1975 on it?

Donnybaseball72
03-01-12, 02:23 PM
Do they sell one for the Flyers with 1975 on it?

Or a Rangers 1 cup in 61 years?

philleotardo
03-01-12, 07:03 PM
Well, if nothing else, Bailey seems to like the new line.

Donnybaseball72
03-01-12, 08:04 PM
Exactly which goal could you fault Nabby on last night?. He had no chance on any of them.

Baliey put the puck right on Ovechkin's stick for his breakaway to win the game.

So none of the 5 goals tonight so far are his fault either? This defense sucks and Cano is right that PA is horrible on defense. I can't see why Nabby would want to reupp with this mess.

ymike673
03-02-12, 12:09 AM
So none of the 5 goals tonight so far are his fault either? This defense sucks and Cano is right that PA is horrible on defense. I can't see why Nabby would want to reupp with this mess.

I was refering to the Washington game. Did not see tonights loss.

To be honest I would rather see Montoya, Poulin or Nielsen as the goaltenders of the future. Nabby should not be considered for the long term due to his age.

ymike673
03-02-12, 12:10 AM
Or a Rangers 1 cup in 61 years?

That should be 1 Cup in 71 years! 1940-2011.

philleotardo
03-03-12, 12:51 PM
Well, if nothing else, Bailey seems to like the new line.
Now 4 goals in 3 games

ymike673
03-04-12, 05:35 PM
What a great weekend!

Wins over the Bruins & Devils.

Donnybaseball72
03-04-12, 06:38 PM
I hope it's not too late for a playoff run. The defense came together today to help Anders Nillson face only 24 shots and get his first ever NHL win and shutout. He is the first Islanders goalie to get his first career win as a shutout. I need to check and see if he's the youngest Islander goalie to post a shutout. Could be Poulin or Luongo.

Heck of a NHL start for Casey Czivtis. This kid can play. Same with Ullstrom who might be the fastest skater on the team after Grabner. Hamonic is such impact defensemen. They were a different team when he was out of the lineup. And kudos to Capuono for moving Bailley to wing. The Bailey-Neilson -Ulstrom line is really clicking.

Now if only they could replace Nino with Haley.

Edit: Luongo 12/27/99 & Fichaud 4/8/96- both age 20

ymike673
03-04-12, 06:48 PM
I hope it's not too late for a playoff run. The defense came together today to help Anders Nillson face only 24 shots and get his first ever NHL win and shutout. He is the first Islanders goalie to get his first career win as a shutout. I need to check and see if he's the youngest Islander goalie to post a shutout. Could be Poulin or Luongo.

Heck of a NHL start for Casey Czivtis. This kid can play. Same with Ullstrom how might be the fastest skater on the team after Grabner. Hamonic is such impact defensemen. They were a different team when he was out of the lineup. And kudos to Capuono for moving Bailley to wing. The Bailey-Neilson -Ulstrom line is really clicking.

Edit: Luongo 12/27/99 - age 20

I'd like to see Nino replaced by anyone.
Anyway the Isles need to go on a streak right now. The last month and a half has basically been 1 or 2 good games followed by 1 or 2 bad games.
And it does not help that the Isles play the Devils 3 consecutive games. I believe the Isles have never had to play the same team 3 consecutive games. Not counting playoffs.

CanoForPresident
03-04-12, 07:07 PM

Heck of a NHL start for Casey Czivtis. This kid can play. Same with Ullstrom how might be the fastest skater on the team after Grabner. Hamonic is such impact defensemen. They were a different team when he was out of the lineup. And kudos to Capuono for moving Bailley to wing. The Bailey-Neilson -Ulstrom line is really clicking.

Edit: Luongo 12/27/99 & Fichaud 4/8/96- both age 20

Its Cizikas but hes going to be a great role player in the league. With him, Nielsen and Martin you have the makings of a really kick ass third line.

Its probably too late to start thinking playoffs - Not so much because 5 points are so hard to make up, but the fact that you'd have to jump 5 teams to get in. I think this off season will be interesting for you guys though. The draft is very D heavy this year so even if you don't finish in the bottom five, you'll have a player available to you that will be a high quality player and I think you guys have the pieces to move for a top 4 D-man this summer.

philleotardo
03-05-12, 07:54 AM
Strome scored 5 in a playoff game, albeit against a position player in as an emergency goalie.

http://www.islandershockeyblog.com/2012-articles/march/ryan-strome-scores-five-goals-in-wacky-icedogs-win.html

ymike673
03-05-12, 10:31 AM
Its Cizikas but hes going to be a great role player in the league. With him, Nielsen and Martin you have the makings of a really kick ass third line.

Its probably too late to start thinking playoffs - Not so much because 5 points are so hard to make up, but the fact that you'd have to jump 5 teams to get in. I think this off season will be interesting for you guys though. The draft is very D heavy this year so even if you don't finish in the bottom five, you'll have a player available to you that will be a high quality player and I think you guys have the pieces to move for a top 4 D-man this summer.

I hope you are right. They had a chance for a top 4 D-man two years ago and picked Nino instead.

Donnybaseball72
03-05-12, 06:43 PM
Strome scored 5 in a playoff game, albeit against a position player in as an emergency goalie.

http://www.islandershockeyblog.com/2012-articles/march/ryan-strome-scores-five-goals-in-wacky-icedogs-win.html

Quite a interesting story. You would think this could only happen if both goalies happened to get hurt in the same game but they only dressed the starter as the other one failed a concussion test. It's a lot harder to find replacements in the juniors, even for one game. The kid, Corey Crisp gave it his all and managed 32 saves, though on 45 shots. Crisp was on XM Home Ice today to talk about his experience.

This would be like an outfielder pitching an complete game regardless of how many runs surrendered.

wang+cano=future
03-30-12, 08:41 AM
F U Islanders!! Haha good thing the Pens won't play them in the first round. It would apparently be an early exit for them.

Donnybaseball72
03-30-12, 07:11 PM
Where was this team all season? If they played this way all the time they would be a playoff team. Nice rebound by Bailey and Okposo after horrible starts.

philleotardo
03-30-12, 07:14 PM
Marty freakin Reasoner

ymike673
03-31-12, 09:45 AM
Where was this team all season? If they played this way all the time they would be a playoff team. Nice rebound by Bailey and Okposo after horrible starts.

They had other good streaks this season but they were always followed by a let down.

Lets hope they can play this way all the time next season.

Donnybaseball72
03-31-12, 07:38 PM
Officially eliminated today. But Matt Martin set an NHL record for hits in a season!

http://www.islanderspointblank.com/2012/03/why-matt-martins-hits-record-is-significant/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=why-matt-martins-hits-record-is-significant

RogerNatural
04-11-12, 08:52 PM
So long as the names Wang, Snow, Capuano & DiPietro have any association to this franchise, they will continue to be a garbage organization & team.

Donnybaseball72
04-11-12, 10:06 PM
They haven't canned Capuano yet. This is not a good sign. I have seen with a real coach like Hitchcock can do with the Blues using the same players that's couldn't win a game if their lives depended on it. With a real coach with real NHL experience this team if a playoff team. I think it's the coaching not the players.