PDA

View Full Version : The Carmelo Anthony Saga Featuring Carmelo Anthony Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Snatch Catch
02-14-11, 11:42 AM
DRobertsonNYY is right, this ridiculousness needs to be quarantined in its own space until a trade happens or the deadline passes.

DRobertsonNYY
02-14-11, 12:27 PM
:lol:

that is awesome.

Hopefully this saga ends soon.

GordonGecko
02-14-11, 12:45 PM
Good call. It's going to be close - I'm betting 50/50 either the Nuggets get stubborn and don't trade him or the Knicks offer way more than they should and get him at 11:59 pm of the trading deadline

Axon
02-14-11, 02:20 PM
What's the deal with wanting to keep Galinari? Carmelo is a better shooter than he is, and his 3 point percentage is virtually identical. I guess I can understand to a limited extent wanting to hold onto Fields...but you don't get superstars in their primes these days.

Panamaniac42
02-14-11, 02:34 PM
What's the deal with wanting to keep Galinari? Carmelo is a better shooter than he is, and his 3 point percentage is virtually identical. I guess I can understand to a limited extent wanting to hold onto Fields...but you don't get superstars in their primes these days.

High ceiling. Cheap & under control through 2013. Chandler has to get paid this summer. Which is exactly why Denver is probably insisting on him over Chandler.

Axon
02-14-11, 02:37 PM
Gali high ceiling? Eh, sure - but he'll never be Carmelo. He'd be a very nice role player...I think at best he'd be a taller, poor man's Ray Allen.

tdel23
02-14-11, 04:09 PM
I'm still kind of nervous about the Nets getting involved again.

Panamaniac42
02-14-11, 04:28 PM

I feel like they're just keeping a low pro until the deadline at which point they'll pull their pants down and let Kroenke & Co. have their way. But you never know, maybe Miggy P. meant what he said and they are going to keep their picks and follow the OKC model.

Snatch Catch
02-14-11, 04:43 PM
I trust Donnie....and I'm really, really, really glad I'm not in his shoes.

I officially want Melo on this team badly. People saying that they would rather keep 2 of Fields/Chandler/Mozgov/Gallo than acquire a guy who is a top 5 offensive force in the league and one of the few players who can legitimately take over a game from opening tap to final horn are not seeing the forrest through the trees.

Amar'e cannot lead this team to a championship with a bunch of supporting castmates who have a small chance to develop into superstars. It cannot happen.

If you get the two superstars in place in Amar'e and Melo, it becomes all about decorating at that point, not about building the framework of the building.

Who knows if an Amar'e/Melo pairing can win a championship, but an Amar'e/Melo foundation, even at max money, and even with neither being a good defender, is significantly further along the path to a chip than Amar'e and 2nd/3rd teir players.

The question is whether or not Walsh can give enough to convince Denver to move him, while still preserving as much of the future (talent/picks/cap) as possible. This saga can't end soon enough, and again, I'm so happy I'm not Donnie. That dude has to be popping Lunestra like Tic-tacs just to get a 15 minute power nap in now.

Rocketbooster
02-14-11, 05:39 PM

There's good reason. One, the Nuggets are likely annoyed that the Knicks are not even putting up a representative offer. Two, they don't want to deal with NY anyway and Three, NJ has what they want. At any time, Denver can trade Melo and I don't believe they'd go to Donnie to see if he'd match. That means that if Donnie doesn't up the offer, he could very well lose his man

Rocketbooster
02-14-11, 05:41 PM
I trust Donnie....and I'm really, really, really glad I'm not in his shoes.

I officially want Melo on this team badly. People saying that they would rather keep 2 of Fields/Chandler/Mozgov/Gallo than acquire a guy who is a top 5 offensive force in the league and one of the few players who can legitimately take over a game from opening tap to final horn are not seeing the forrest through the trees.

Amar'e cannot lead this team to a championship with a bunch of supporting castmates who have a small chance to develop into superstars. It cannot happen.

If you get the two superstars in place in Amar'e and Melo, it becomes all about decorating at that point, not about building the framework of the building.

Who knows if an Amar'e/Melo pairing can win a championship, but an Amar'e/Melo foundation, even at max money, and even with neither being a good defender, is significantly further along the path to a chip than Amar'e and 2nd/3rd teir players.

The question is whether or not Walsh can give enough to convince Denver to move him, while still preserving as much of the future (talent/picks/cap) as possible. This saga can't end soon enough, and again, I'm so happy I'm not Donnie. That dude has to be popping Lunestra like Tic-tacs just to get a 15 minute power nap in now.

So far Donnie is still stuck on this ridiculous trade proposal that has no chance of happening. If he gives a good offer and Denver refuses to bite, then he's done all he could.........but the time is nigh and he needs to make his move. Why wait at this point? He's not getting Melo in FA - IMO.

Snatch Catch
02-14-11, 05:48 PM
So far Donnie is still stuck on this ridiculous trade proposal that has no chance of happening. If he gives a good offer and Denver refuses to bite, then he's done all he could.........but the time is nigh and he needs to make his move. Why wait at this point? He's not getting Melo in FA - IMO.

We have no idea what Donnie has been told or what he is sitting on.

Notice how everything has gone relatively silent in the last couple of weeks. There has been almost no detail about what is going on from any sources or anything.

Yankee Tripper
02-14-11, 06:50 PM
fagetdaboudit - no way the Net's get involved w/o anthony signing an extension and no way anthony signs an extension. I thought it was pretty clear weeks ago he'd go to the Knicks or nowhere.

R.V.47
02-14-11, 07:00 PM

What leads you to believe the Knicks arent getting him as a free agent? That would seem like a pretty likely ending to this whole thing actually.

Rocketbooster
02-14-11, 07:12 PM

Notice how everything has gone relatively silent in the last couple of weeks. There has been almost no detail about what is going on from any sources or anything.

Well clearly the offer has not been upped - that would have leaked out by now.

Rocketbooster
02-14-11, 07:14 PM
What leads you to believe the Knicks arent getting him as a free agent? That would seem like a pretty likely ending to this whole thing actually.

I don't think Melo is going to get to FA. He clearly wants his $$$ and there have been too many reports indicating that he's annoyed/frustrated with the Knicks for me to think that there isn't some grains of truth to those reports.. He's going to lose all that $$$ and sign with a team he doesn't think did enough to show they were serious to the Nuggets ? I'm not saying he definitely won't go to FA and sign here, but I don't think it's close to being a slam dunk and I don't think Donnie can take that chance.

Yankee Tripper
02-14-11, 07:15 PM
I'd be shocked if the he's not a Knick next season.

R.V.47
02-14-11, 07:26 PM
I don't think Melo is going to get to FA. He clearly wants his $$$ and there have been too many reports indicating that he's annoyed/frustrated with the Knicks for me to think that there isn't some grains of truth to those reports.. He's going to lose all that $$$ and sign with a team he doesn't think did enough to show they were serious to the Nuggets ? I'm not saying he definitely won't go to FA and sign here, but I don't think it's close to being a slam dunk and I don't think Donnie can take that chance.

When you get past all of the ridiculous rumors that pop up everyday the facts are this. Most teams arent willing to pay the price the Nuggets want for a rental player and the teams that would rent him mainly the Mavs dont have the pieces. If it comes to free agency theres only a few teams with the cap space to sign him, only one of those teams offers the chance to play with another superstar and thats the Knicks. It just makes to much sense along with all the other stuff like him being from NY and his wife etc etc, for it not to happen.

Yankees13
02-14-11, 07:35 PM
Gali high ceiling? Eh, sure - but he'll never be Carmelo. He'd be a very nice role player...I think at best he'd be a taller, poor man's Ray Allen.
That would be a pretty damn good player. However, I agree, I would not let Gallo hold up the trade. I have no hesitation in trading Gallo and Chandler for Melo. Chandler is gone probably one way or another, and Gallo will never be the player Melo is.

JfromJersey
02-14-11, 07:45 PM

What makes you think this is solely Donnie's call? If Dolan wants Melo badly enough he'd tell Walsh to up the offer, if staying pat on Chandler, Curry, etc. doesn't get anything done.

AMYanks
02-14-11, 08:51 PM

You shouldn't believe everything you read. In fact, 99% of what you'll read is total BS. These reporters know nothing, most of the "sources" they quote are made up. It's why we didn't know Cliff Lee was leaning towards the Phillies until an hour before he signed.

Melan-cynic
02-14-11, 10:04 PM
Oh boy..

Exactly.

Oy..

Snatch Catch
02-15-11, 07:44 AM
With Donnie plugging up most of the leaks, the tabloids and internet outlets are grasping at straws to very any Melo news out there today.

The Daily News saying the Knicks turned down a deal, Stein spewing verbal diarrhea about franchise tagging, its just ridiculous.

Rocketbooster
02-15-11, 08:22 AM
With Donnie plugging up most of the leaks, the tabloids and internet outlets are grasping at straws to very any Melo news out there today.

The Daily News saying the Knicks turned down a deal, Stein spewing verbal diarrhea about franchise tagging, its just ridiculous.

But that offer IS way too high - Knicks could never be expected to take it (but they should be expected to counteroffer). As to Dolan possibly overruling as Isola says, of course that's true, but I think he'd only do that if he thinks that Donnie won't even up his offer from what it is now. I don't love the fact that the Knicks continue to debate whether they should get Melo know or chance him becoming a FA........I think they really need to get him now.

Also, that franchise tag thing has been gaining some steam - that's not BS. It might not happen, but it's being talked about.

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 08:38 AM
Denver crazy. Felton, Gallinari, starter(Chandler), Curry, Pick. lol

Hmmm.

I, and I think the Knicks do that deal if you take Felton out.

It's pretty much the same deal we're expecting/speculated: 2 of Fields, Chandler, Gallo. Curry and pick.

Denver wants to get greedy by asking for Felton.

Snatch Catch
02-15-11, 09:08 AM
Also, that franchise tag thing has been gaining some steam - that's not BS. It might not happen, but it's being talked about.

The franchise tag is the stupidest, most fear-driven piece of BS there is. It has no basis at all in this discussion. None. It is beyond ridiculous that anyone in the media would look at it and decide it was something worth perpetuating unless they were just trying to scare people and stir sh*t.

It is about as much BS as any item in a story like this could ever be.

Panamaniac42
02-15-11, 10:19 AM
The Nuggets and Knicks discussed a Carmelo Anthony trade but talks fizzled when the Nuggets refused to lower their "steep" demands, a source tells the New York Daily News.

The Nuggets reportedly asked for Danilo Gallinari, Raymond Felton, another starter, Eddy Curry's expiring contract plus at least one first-round pick in exchange for Anthony and Chauncey Billups.

Understandably, the Knicks think they are giving up too much in that deal. So the Nuggets will go back out and try to gain more leverage by talking to the Bulls, Rockets, Mavs, Nets and whoever else will listen.

I can't wait until this is all over.

tdel23
02-15-11, 11:13 AM
Alan Hahn was just on WFAN and he said he doesn't expect any talks to get serious until Monday. He also thinks no other team is a real serious player to get Melo except the Knicks.

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 11:18 AM
D'Antoni is silly. How could you not want to trade Chandler and Gallo for Carmelo Anthony?
He loves his friend/ex-roommate ex-teammate, son THAT much?

Snatch Catch
02-15-11, 11:25 AM
D'Antoni is silly. How could you not want to trade Chandler and Gallo for Carmelo Anthony?
He loves his friend/ex-roommate ex-teammate, son THAT much?

If you believe the rumor (which is dubious), it was Gallo, Felton, and either Chandler or Mozgov, plus Curry's expiring and at least one 1st rounder for Billups and Melo.

GordonGecko
02-15-11, 11:28 AM
It's going to come down to whether or not Anthony folds and agrees to sign an extension with whatever team the Nuggets can find. If he holds firm, he becomes a Knick on Feb 24 or in June

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-15-11, 11:29 AM
Alan Hahn was just on WFAN and he said he doesn't expect any talks to get serious until Monday. He also thinks no other team is a real serious player to get Melo except the Knicks.

With all the crap flying around, this is what I believe is most true. I don't think anything real is happening till the last few days, and although I could see the Nets trying to jump back in, I think the Knicks have the best chance of making the deal, if he's traded.

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 11:35 AM
We can get Paul AND Carmelo:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4gqxegc

bcom33
02-15-11, 12:36 PM
We can get Paul AND Carmelo:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4gqxegc

Lmao, best...trade...ever.

Axon
02-15-11, 12:45 PM
Denver's asking price is pretty steep, but for Melo and Chauncy it might be worth it (minus one guy). Billiups is just the kind of guy NY loves - he can't be intimidated and he hits shots when he absolutely must. Melo is just gonna do what he does, score points.

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 01:02 PM
Lmao, best...trade...ever.

NO isn't getting enough back. If the Knicks had a couple of draft picks, they might actually do it. They may want you take Okafor contract though.

Denver would definitely do it. That's a good deal for them.

But Paul is probably not available RIGHT NOW so...

bcom33
02-15-11, 01:09 PM
NO isn't getting enough back. If the Knicks had a couple of draft picks, they might actually do it. They may want you take Okafor contract though.

Denver would definitely do it. That's a good deal for them.

But Paul is probably not available RIGHT NOW so...

Meh, I'd rather just do this... http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4nrnc7o

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 01:11 PM
Meh, I'd rather just do this... http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=4nrnc7o

bcom33
02-15-11, 01:14 PM

lmao ftw

machphantom
02-15-11, 01:19 PM
Knicks, Nugs to meet at ASG to discuss possible trades:
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14689371/trade-deadline-should-resolve-melodrama

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 01:21 PM
Knicks possibly getting Billups for Felton is very risky. It puts pressure on them to land Williams or Paul.
Neither is a guarantee.

If they don't get either, they're in big trouble.

Philip Hughes Fan
02-15-11, 01:21 PM

I know it's just a toy, but the trade machine is really messed up if it thinks Felton and Curry for Paul would add four wins for the Hornets.

just-blaze
02-15-11, 02:26 PM
If you believe the rumor (which is dubious), it was Gallo, Felton, and either Chandler or Mozgov, plus Curry's expiring and at least one 1st rounder for Billups and Melo.

Am I crazy to think that we should pull the trigger on that?

GordonGecko
02-15-11, 02:32 PM

No way on that trade, giving up Gallo, Felton, Mozgov, & Randolf (to get draft pick) for a free agent (Melo) and Billups? HELL NO

kan_t
02-15-11, 02:45 PM
If your next focus is signing CP3 or D-Will in FA market, no you're not crazy.

kan_t
02-15-11, 02:49 PM
No way on that trade, giving up Gallo, Felton, Mozgov, & Randolf (to get draft pick) for a free agent (Melo) and Billups? HELL NO
If you want to sign CP3 or D-Will in FA market, the real loss in this trade is only Gallo IMO.

Snatch Catch
02-15-11, 03:09 PM

I don't think you're certifiable, but I wouldn't pull the trigger on that...yet.

It's basically almost all of the tradeable assets the team has, so while the Amelo core is nice, it will be very difficult to build going forward.

I'd be extremely hesitant to make that move. If it happens I hope it's at a lesser cost.

just-blaze
02-15-11, 04:14 PM

Don't we still have our draft pick for this year?

I was under the impression that we have to trade spots with the Rockets if we are lower, but that we still have one.

Snatch Catch
02-15-11, 04:36 PM
Don't we still have our draft pick for this year?

I was under the impression that we have to trade spots with the Rockets if we are lower, but that we still have one.

Correct. Houston owns our 2012 pick outright (although it's top 6 or so protected).

Fabien Brandy
02-15-11, 04:46 PM
Felton and Billups each have a year left after this. Does the difference in their salaries affect any major plans?

I'd be fine with giving up Gallinari, Curry, Randolph (pick) and swapping PGs but Chandler should have some value in a sign-and-trade and Mozgov should be kept. Maybe Denver would take Azubuike's expiring contract instead.

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 04:47 PM
Mozgov--Turiaf
Stoudemire--Walker
Anthony--Williams
Fields--Azubuike (D'Antoni says he's close)
Billups--Douglas

Not a bad starting 5.

If Mozgov could assert himself better on defense this team can go places.
Billups is better than Felton. imo. His age is a concern though. And if the Knicks make that deal with Billups in it, than the pressure is on to get Williams or Paul in 2012.

I like Billups playoff experience. Which Felton doesn't have much of. And his big shot ability is a plus.

If you can guarantee that the Knicks could get either Paul or Williams in 2012, this is a no brainer deal.

Snatch Catch
02-15-11, 05:19 PM
Hahn:

@alanhahn: Update on Melo: talks will go thru AS Wknd, will get red hot by next Tues. Parameters set. Negotiation time. More to come later on Fix.

dabomb2045
02-15-11, 05:19 PM
Mozgov--Turiaf
Stoudemire--Walker
Anthony--Williams
Fields--Azubuike (D'Antoni says he's close)
Billups--Douglas

Not a bad starting 5.

If Mozgov could assert himself better on defense this team can go places.
Billups is better than Felton. imo. His age is a concern though. And if the Knicks make that deal with Billups in it, than the pressure is on to get Williams or Paul in 2012.

I like Billups playoff experience. Which Felton doesn't have much of. And his big shot ability is a plus.

If you can guarantee that the Knicks could get either Paul or Williams in 2012, this is a no brainer deal.

You cant. Obviously Deron Williams would be awesome....but the Knicks paying Paul like a franchise player (which IMO he isnt anymore) would be a colossal mistake. Paul will get paid like that because for some reason, alot of people dont realize he isnt the same player he used to be, and has knee issues that will continue to erode his game as it already has.

Rocketbooster
02-15-11, 05:36 PM
Hahn:

Great - so for the next 9 days, all I'm going to think about is Melo.........and then if it doesn't work out, I'm going to be depressed, lol.

FYI - Tim Legler will be on 1050 ESPN in a few minutes

Philip Hughes Fan
02-15-11, 06:24 PM
.but the Knicks paying Paul like a franchise player (which IMO he isnt anymore) would be a colossal mistake. Paul will get paid like that because for some reason, alot of people dont realize he isnt the same player he used to be, and has knee issues that will continue to erode his game as it already has.

Concern over his future is justified with his knees, but there is absolutely no objective measure that would rate him as anything but one of the best PG in the game (if not the best still).

Anyway, I wouldn't count on the Knicks being able to fit in either Paul or Williams along with Melo and Amare.

dabomb2045
02-15-11, 08:03 PM
Concern over his future is justified with his knees, but there is absolutely no objective measure that would rate him as anything but one of the best PG in the game (if not the best still).

Anyway, I wouldn't count on the Knicks being able to fit in either Paul or Williams along with Melo and Amare.

All his stats are down from 07-08 and 08-09 which is when he was at the top of his game. The knee issues started popping up after those seasons, and his numbers have declined since then. If you watch him play its also easy to see he doesnt have the same speed and quickness he had even as close as two years ago. Im not saying he isnt still very good, he just isnt the player he was before. And its a major cause for concern that his game is already declining at the age of 25.

Yankees13
02-15-11, 08:42 PM
I agree with the school of thought that a Billups/Felton swap as part of the Melo deal means that the Knicks think they're getting CP3 or Williams. As for CP3, I honestly haven't watched him enough this year to pass judgment, but I think I would prefer Williams because he seems much more likely to hold up physically.

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 08:43 PM
SAS said he spoke to two former Knicks who said "D'Antoni worships the ground Gallinari walks on".
He said he wouldn't be surprised if it's D'Antoni who is the one not wanting to give up Gallo.

If so screw D'Antoni. I don't think he's long for this job. No reason why a coach--especially in the NBA(they're a dime a dozen) should be deciding personnel moves.

He can give his opinion, that's fine, but that's all he should be giving.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-15-11, 08:46 PM
SAS said he spoke to two former Knicks who said "D'Antoni worships the ground Gallinari walks on".
He said he wouldn't be surprised if it's D'Antoni who is the one not wanting to give up Gallo.

If so screw D'Antoni. I don't think he's long for this job. No reason why a coach--especially in the NBA(they're a dime a dozen) should be deciding personnel moves.

He can give his opinion, that's fine, but that's all he should be giving.

And, really, you're making conjecture based on speculation. I see no reason to believe Donnie isn't running the show.

Snatch Catch
02-15-11, 09:16 PM
One of them was unquestionably Harrington, and we know what a douchebag he is.

SLURPEE
02-15-11, 10:04 PM
^ I was thinking Harrington too. lol

The Knicks offer (Curry, Chandler, Pick/AR) was too little. No way Denver ever would have made that trade.

Denver asking for Gallinari, Felton, Pick/AR, Curry (starter=Chandler) is too much. Much like Denver with the Knicks first offer, no way the Knicks do that deal.

Both teams have to meet somewhere in the middle.

To me that's either subtracting Gallinari or Felton.

If I'm Donnie, I'm telling Denver you're not getting both. Pick ONE:

Curry,Chandler,Pick/AR, Felton ------ Knicks get Billups+Carmelo
Curry,Chandler,Pick/AR, Gallinari ------Knicks get Carmelo

Philip Hughes Fan
02-15-11, 10:08 PM
All his stats are down from 07-08 and 08-09 which is when he was at the top of his game. The knee issues started popping up after those seasons, and his numbers have declined since then. If you watch him play its also easy to see he doesnt have the same speed and quickness he had even as close as two years ago. Im not saying he isnt still very good, he just isnt the player he was before. And its a major cause for concern that his game is already declining at the age of 25.

Yes, he's declined from when he was heads and shoulders above any other PG (and Deron Williams is my favorite player), but you said he's not a franchise player *now* which is just untrue. Even diminished, he's an elite PG by any measure; I just wouldn't trade assets for him and give him a huge extension with his knee problems.

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 12:53 AM
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo;JSESSIONID=52CEEE3C0CB08F6004F0.3050?site=newsday&view=sports_blogs_item&feed:a=newsday_5min&feed:c=sports_blogs&feed:i=1.2690061&nopaging=1

The parameters have been set in the talks between the Knicks and Nuggets for Carmelo Anthony. The Knicks are willing to part with Wilson Chandler or Danilo Gallinari and a source with knowledge of the situation said that including a Raymond Felton-Chauncey Billups swap would not be a deal-breaker.

Donnie Walsh has reason to proceed with caution, too. Sure, the Knicks might have had Carmelo now if they were willing to give up as many as five players, including three starters, in the deal. But a person with knowledge of Denver's thinking said the Nets also thought they were close to an agreement several times, only to have Denver continue to ask for more. Denver's negotiating philosophy, so far, seems to come from the pages of the children's classic, "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie." Team executive Josh Kroenke and GM Masai Ujiri are the front men, but while owner Stan Kroenke is technically no longer involved because he's moved on to become owner of the NFL's St. Louis Rams, it's still his money. Also, recently ousted Nuggets basketball operations executive Brett Bearup still serves in an official capacity as an advisor to Stan Kroenke and multiple sources say Bearup has been and remains completely against trading Anthony to his preferred destination; at least not without the Nuggets walking away with an undisputable win. Donnie Walsh' patience might be the Knicks' best weapon here.

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 08:28 AM
(http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/16/2011-02-16_knicks_president_donnie_walsh_should_make_the_deal_for_carmelo_anthony_despite_s.html)http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/16/2011-02-16_knicks_president_donnie_walsh_should_make_the_deal_for_carmelo_anthony_despite_s.html

(http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/16/2011-02-16_knicks_president_donnie_walsh_should_make_the_deal_for_carmelo_anthony_despite_s.html)
It is disturbing that Dolan has given no indication that he wants to bring Donnie back, but it's too early to say that Donnie is probably gone.

So according to Isola, Anthony has many flaws, but the Knicks should make this deal (which is awful) just because? What a lousy GM Isola would be; I guess he's never heard of the word "negotiation". Also, what is it with mediots criticizing the fans for chanting "MVP". So what if Amare isn't going to win the award? If the fans want to chant it (and wasn't Isola championing the fans' right to chant whatever they want - including "we want Melo") because it makes them feel good, then so be it. Why does anyone care if it's realistic or not?

SLURPEE
02-16-11, 08:53 AM
Nuggets Growing Frustrated With Carmelo's Selfish Play
Feb 16, 2011 05:55 AM EST

The Nuggets are fighting to hold together a locker room that has grown frustrated with Carmelo Anthony's selfish play, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports.

Several sources have indicated that Denver's players and coaching staff are frustrated with Anthony chasing shots and points over winning games, his refusal to listen to coach George Karl and how he has distanced himself from the team as the season has progressed.

For these reasons, few believe the Nuggets can still sign him to a three-year, $65 million extension.

"With the way he's distanced himself from the team, the organization, they're kidding themselves if they think he's signing a new deal," one league official told Yahoo! Sports. "He hasn't checked out on the season because he never checked in."

The Nuggets are working to sign Karl to an extension and sources claim he's more comfortable coaching the team without Anthony.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports
Carmelo Anthony, Denver Nuggets, NBA, NBA Trade Rumor, NBA Misc Rumor
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhsUxPvapVMW4zZwvWYRZjW8vLYF?slug=aw-anthonynuggets021511
________

Kurt Helin: Blazers GM: Carmelo Anthony trade holding up other deals http://dlvr.it/Gkq7G #PBT #NBA about 17 minutes ago

Snatch Catch
02-16-11, 12:54 PM
I can't wait to see him stop playing the good soldier if Denver attempts to hold him.

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 01:44 PM
I did hear that Melo said he'd tip his cap to himself for handling himself well through this whole thing....If true, then that's pretty strange considering he started this. If Wojo's article is the truth, that doesn't speak well to Anthony at all.

I'm not listening now, but some guy from Denver is on with Mac and Tierney/1050 ESPN and he said that the Nuggets really don't even like Gallinari - if they accept him, it's because they are making the best out of a bad situation. Up until 2 weeks ago, this Denver guy thought that Denver would just hold onto Melo because they weren't getting any difference makers back...but his thoughts have changed, probably because of the infighting that's going on (and he said it's not just about Melo, that there are other unhappy players in the lockerroom) and also not trading Melo slows down the process of getting more cap room.

Snatch Catch
02-16-11, 03:17 PM
Latest quotes from Melo are that he will either be traded by the deadline or sign the extension.

"Something is going to happen."

GordonGecko
02-16-11, 03:35 PM
"Something is going to happen."
Sounds like someone who just ate at Taco Bell

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 06:33 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14697636/trade-buzz-swap-not-only-way-melo-ends-up-with-knicks

Which brings us to another fallacy in the Melo-mania that has engulfed New York. There are those blabbing on the radio, scribbling in print, and yakking away in taxicabs all over the city who believe the Knicks would be a championship-caliber team simply by pairing Anthony with Stoudemire -- regardless of how many players they had to give up. These people are beyond hope. Unfortunately for Walsh, Madison Square Garden chairman James Dolan may be one of them.

There are those who fear that if Walsh "failed" to get Anthony by the deadline -- which, as we've just explained, actually could be considered a victory -- then Dolan might step in and go over his basketball man's head to cut a foolish deal with Denver. Dolan will be on the loose at All-Star festivities in Los Angeles later this week, and it's a safe bet he runs into someone named Kroenke -- be it Josh, the acting owner, or Stan, the guy many people believe still is calling the shots. Be very afraid, Knick fans.

We might be able to get him as a FA but we might not........that's a big risk to take. I don't think Donnie should cave, but soon he'll have to up his offer.

The rest of the article makes me nervous as a Knick fan. I feel sorry for Donnie - it's obvious that Dolan doesn't particularly want him back and that he's just waiting for the right moment to go over his head and make the deal. Berger's right - it will be all about Thomas. Ugh

Snatch Catch
02-16-11, 06:51 PM
Now Woj has the Nets back in it and making progress with Denver...

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 07:31 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-anthonynets021611

Here's that link............I can't say I'm surprised. The Knicks need to up their offer because who's to say the Nuggets won't strike a deal with another team? It's not like they're going to take another offer and run back to the Knicks and give the Knicks the chance to match. Also, who's to say Melo won't cave? NJ/Brooklyn is practically NY and all reports indicate he's rather annoyed at the Knicks for not going harder after him.

R.V.47
02-16-11, 07:32 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/14697636/trade-buzz-swap-not-only-way-melo-ends-up-with-knicks

We might be able to get him as a FA but we might not........that's a big risk to take. I don't think Donnie should cave, but soon he'll have to up his offer.

The rest of the article makes me nervous as a Knick fan. I feel sorry for Donnie - it's obvious that Dolan doesn't particularly want him back and that he's just waiting for the right moment to go over his head and make the deal. Berger's right - it will be all about Thomas. Ugh

There just seems to be a feeling out there that Dolan is setting up Isiah to get all the credit if they get Melo. Got to remember that Walsh was basically forced on Dolan by David Stern. Hes not Dolans guy, we all know who Dolans guy is.

Snatch Catch
02-16-11, 07:39 PM
F*ck Dolan.

If Walsh is booted and a competent replacement isn't brought in, I will write one of those angry customer e-mails/letters to that jackass.

That's how ridiculous this situation. I will resort to letter-writing like it's the 50s.

SLURPEE
02-16-11, 07:42 PM
Could we wait to Dolan ACTUALLY does something stupid before complaining? Waste of time....imo

Denver is just trying their best to raise the Knick offer. They know there's no shot Carmelo is signing there. Especially this late in the talks. He knows he's very close to becoming a Knick...

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 07:56 PM
Could we wait to Dolan ACTUALLY does something stupid before complaining? Waste of time....imo

Denver is just trying their best to raise the Knick offer. They know there's no shot Carmelo is signing there. Especially this late in the talks. He knows he's very close to becoming a Knick...

Each day when I spend time thinking about the Knicks, I have a Dolan moment, but I realize that it's useless to complain because, whether I like it or not, he's the owner.

This could be a ploy to get the Knicks to bite, but I don't think so because clearly the Nets would love Anthony and clearly the Nuggets like what they have to offer. Melo wants to be with the Knicks, but he wants his $$$ more. I guess we'll see. Alan Hahn said the Knicks/Denver were going to talk during the ASB - I don't think anything will happen before then.

tdel23
02-16-11, 08:05 PM
This has nothing to do with Melo but I will never forgive Dolan for keeping YES off Cablevison. I swore as soon as soon as I could dump cablevison I would. I've had FIOS for 3 years now. Of course now I don't get the Knicks in HD.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-16-11, 08:08 PM

In this instance, sure. But every Knick fans distrust and dislike for Dolan has been earned. He not only managed to make his franchise a laughingstock, but still has the hots for the guy who made it that way. He's quite fortunate his dad made him very wealthy

Snatch Catch
02-16-11, 08:14 PM

I'd normally agree, but then I remember that when we were all dismissing the idea that anyone could officially bring back a guy who did what Isiah did to this franchise, James Dolan went ahead and actually did it.

Everytime I look back on that period last fall, it's almost unfathomable that it actually happened. Because of that I have no desire to wait for the next time he does something. Even though the Isiah hiring was overturned, he proved that he is capable of anything.

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 08:30 PM
In this instance, sure. But every Knick fans distrust and dislike for Dolan has been earned. He not only managed to make his franchise a laughingstock, but still has the hots for the guy who made it that way. He's quite fortunate his dad made him very wealthy

It's disgraceful how he's treated Donnie. Sources say he's not thrilled with what Donnie has done - how is that even possible? It's hard to fall in love with the Knicks again knowing that the owner is capable at any minute of destroying the team. Oh and I think Thomas is a skunk for not respecting Donnie's position.

SLURPEE
02-16-11, 09:13 PM
I think it's pretty obvious Dolan isn't buddy buddy with Walsh.

He seems to keep GMs/executives based on how he feels about them on a personal level. It's stupid but it appears to be the case.

If he likes you (Glen Sather, Isaiah Thomas) he'll keep you and become your BFF. Despite what kind of job you're did for the Knicks and Rangers.

Rocketbooster
02-16-11, 11:54 PM
Boy Frank Isola must be the unhappiest mediot in town. His blog post tonight is devoted to wondering why on earth Melo would want to come to NY and he concludes with the thought that Melo is a hugely flawed player and person. Granted, he does seem to have a huge ego and if it's true that he's "checked out" of his season, that doesn't speak well for him. Still, did Melo run over Frankie's dog?

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 12:05 AM
I have no idea who this Incarcerated Bob is, but:

incarceratedbob incarcerated bob
**BREAKING NBA NEWS** Walsh has ended talks with the Denver Nuggets in regards to Carmelo Anthony #Trade - Price 2much for #Knicks #IBN
1 hour ago

Yankees13
02-17-11, 12:11 AM
Boy Frank Isola must be the unhappiest mediot in town. His blog post tonight is devoted to wondering why on earth Melo would want to come to NY and he concludes with the thought that Melo is a hugely flawed player and person. Granted, he does seem to have a huge ego and if it's true that he's "checked out" of his season, that doesn't speak well for him. Still, did Melo run over Frankie's dog?
Isola:Knicks :: Lupica:Yankees

dabomb2045
02-17-11, 12:37 AM
We're linking Incarcerated Bob posts again. Thats when you know the thread has officially gone down the toilet. Rocketbooster....for your own sake you really need to not get worked up about every different thing you read from the media and/or random idiots on Twitter. 98% of what is out there is BS and nonsense....so no need to react to it.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 01:35 AM
We're linking Incarcerated Bob posts again. Thats when you know the thread has officially gone down the toilet. Rocketbooster....for your own sake you really need to not get worked up about every different thing you read from the media and/or random idiots on Twitter. 98% of what is out there is BS and nonsense....so no need to react to it.

I'm not worked up at all, though I guess it could look that way because I posted it. I guess I have nothing better to do, lol. I was on the computer most of the night planning my trip and I had some free time and - voila.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:27 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/columns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=6130436

<H2>The Anxious Melo Factor

If the Knicks don't get a deal done before the deadline, Anthony could lose somewhere in the area of $10 million to $15 million if he opts out of his contract at the end of this season and leaves Denver (or someplace else) as a free agent.
How do you think Melo feels about that?
He isn't too happy with the notion of being hit that hard in the wallet, and as Broussard has reported, Anthony has grown frustrated that the Knicks have seemed unwilling to put together a decent enough package to make the Nuggets bite.
If the deadline passes without Anthony wearing a Knicks uniform, he is going to blame New York for missing out on this opportunity and for costing him a boatload of bucks. He might be angry enough, in fact, to turn his back on the notion of signing with New York.
</H2>

SLURPEE
02-17-11, 08:38 AM
Denver's asking price for Carmelo Anthony is more outlandish than previously thought.

The Post has learned the Nuggets made a whopping demand one week ago that is more exorbitant than recent reports. According to a league source debriefed on Carmelo Anthony negotiations, Denver asked for Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Landry Fields, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov and a first-round pick (obtained via Anthony Randolph) for Anthony and point guard Chauncey Billups.

Yes, it looks like the Nuggets demanded everything but James Dolan's Radio City Music Hall

"They want everything," the league source said of Denver. "The Knicks didn't even have to sit down and talk about that offer. It's not even logistically possible. They'd have two miserable stars with nothing around them."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/source_nuggets_want_knicks_and_deal_Ruwhn5zMP2Dib0Uq72DAIM

________

So they want the Knicks team. :P

While they're at it, they can have D'Antoni too.

Yankeeah
02-17-11, 10:00 AM
Denver asked for Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Landry Fields, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov and a first-round pick (obtained via Anthony Randolph) for Anthony and point guard Chauncey Billups.

I'll be honest, I have a hard time believing that. first off, trade machine says it doesn't work (Granted, it doesn't show how to trade draft picks) due to the Knicks taking on so damn much

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=474mfw4

But anyway, Denver doesn't really think the Knicks can do this trade, do they? If Dolan pulls the switch on this, it will kill the franchise.

THEBOSS84
02-17-11, 10:06 AM
If true, it's funny how Denver thinks they are in a position to make demands like that.

Fabien Brandy
02-17-11, 10:09 AM
Denver wants to drag this out, i.e. the crazy current demands. People who think this is Walsh's fault for not doing enough are being naive/obtuse.

Snatch Catch
02-17-11, 10:24 AM
STOP THE RIDE! STOP THE RIDE! I SAID STOP THE RIDE! I WANT TO GET OFF!

Thanks, and sorry for yelling.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 10:26 AM
Denver wants to drag this out, i.e. the crazy current demands. People who think this is Walsh's fault for not doing enough are being naive/obtuse.

I agree that Denver is trying to get close to the deadline and assumes that someone will blink. It wouldn't shock me if a deal isn't made b/c they are trying to make the big score.

Snatch Catch
02-17-11, 10:47 AM
Hahn just on the radio sounded very confident. He said he puts it at 85% that melo is a Knick to play in Cleveland on the 25th.

Said the only hold up in negotiations is the "amateur hour" going on in Denver.

Panamaniac42
02-17-11, 10:58 AM
Hahn just on the radio sounded very confident. He said he puts it at 85% that melo is a Knick to play in Cleveland on the 25th.

So...who replaces Gallo as your next av?

Brick Tamland
02-17-11, 11:02 AM
I didn't think it would ever get to this point because I love Melo's game but enough is enough. I can't take this crap anymore.

If the Knicks get Melo, great but I am done reading all of this garbage.

SLURPEE
02-17-11, 11:03 AM
Hahn on 1050 recap:

- Doesn't think Donnie would ever cave, not his style, when he spoke to Donnie last night he was cool calm and collected. Donnie was enjoying taking the questions.

- From what he understands, Knicks only horse in the race. Nuggets trying to bring other teams and theres no other competition.

- Knicks have parameters. Alot of progress. Theres a high and a low. They have 7 days to get to the middle.

- Nuggets are trying to set up panic in NY.

- Not denying any of the reports, Nuggets trying to get competition by drumming up Lakers and Nets. Creating illusion Knicks arent the only horse in the race but truly are.

- Carmelo wants to be a Knick, why would Carmelo take an extension with Jersey if there still there. Knicks arent going to back out of deal until Thursday at 259.

- Can't expect anything dramatic to happen until Tuesday.

- James Dolan not pressuring Walsh. I WRITE FOR NEWSDAY, IM NOT JUST SAYING THAT!!!!
- Dantoni hesitant because of losing people and it would be on him with no time to practice to get him

- Everyone in the organization wants this deal done!

- Everyone feels that this gets them in getting Deron/Paul

- Says Knicks dont need cap space to get Paul and Deron, its about Knicks retaining some assets to go through same situation as next year

- Everyone in the organization feels Knicks on way to championship contender with Melo/Amare.

- Most executive and all owners will be in LA for AllStar break, not Walsh though.

- Not a big deal, no trades happen at All Star Break. Knicks not gonna get screwed there. Dont get caught up with that

- As long as Knicks are still in the game, Carmelo will give them a chance to walk away before he even considers another team.

- Huge Problem: Amateur Hour in Denver, not sure what they really want. Comes down to Stan Kroenke making the move, and that could take forever since he is the one that signs checks at the end of the day.

- Problem is Knicks could work all day long and think there close and call the next morning and say "Oh take on Al Harrington's contract to"

- 85% Chance hes a knick by February 25th, gonna play vs. Cleveland and wear #30.

- Knicks know they wont get him for Chandler, Curry, and Randolph

- Key is giving up Chandler and Gallinari

- Well see as time gets closer

_________

I thought it's pretty obvious that Walsh doesn't want to give up too much in this trade.
Exactly a year from now Chris Paul and Deron Williams will be available. Gonna need some assets..

And I hate 30. #9 should be the number. Single digits are great.

Panamaniac42
02-17-11, 11:14 AM
- Key is giving up Chandler and Gallinari

Yeah, which blows. But if that's the case then we shouldn't be giving them anything else besides Curry...not even Randolph.

Felton
Landry
Melo
Stat
Mozgov
---
TD
Shawne
Turiaf
Walker

Not bad. Use Randolph for pick or bench help via trade or actually give him a chance to crack rotation. Sign Barron & PE Jr.

I feel disgusted at myself for going along for the ride on this sh*t but I'm weak what can I say...thankfully I'm getting out of town for the weekend and hopefully this will all mercifully end early next week.

GordonGecko
02-17-11, 11:31 AM
I hate the NBA, the structure is so messed up. I realize that they want to give teams an advantage to keep free agents by letting teams pay more to retain the player, but then you get messed up situations like this. Money shouldn't always dominate but the Knicks have a large fan base, shouldn't that count for something?

Like people complain about the Yankees, but the Yankees have always re-invested their money into the team and built a winning franchise over a hundred years. Yeah we can buy any player, but isn't that fair in the first place because of everything we pour into that team.

The NBA's playing field is too level for its own good. You're either a top 10 team or have no chance, and there's no way to get in that top 10 unless you strike the lottery in the draft that one time every decade when a superstar shows up

SLURPEE
02-17-11, 11:39 AM
I hate the NBA from the stand point that a team needs stars in order to win a championship. It's just the nature of the sport but it still sucks.
No other other sport (maybe NHL. You do need a couple of elite players but nothing crazy) is like this. But even the NHL is not as bad with needing the stars to win it all.

And they have a nerve to have a cap. lol I understand why though. But with sport being so star driven, your cap gets tied up pretty quickly.

Lebron is douche. But I agree about teams needing to be contracted. There just isn't enough stars in this league, for every team. It doesn't help either that 2 of the best are on one team.

Snatch Catch
02-17-11, 11:41 AM
So...who replaces Gallo as your next av?

This has been my AV for over two years now. I think I put it up during his rookie season or something when everybody was ragging on him.

I guess I'd have to see who was left when the dust settles...

Panamaniac42
02-17-11, 11:50 AM
This has been my AV for over two years now. I think I put it up during his rookie season or something when everybody was ragging on him.

I guess I'd have to see who was left when the dust settles...

Yep I noticed that you've been down since day 1 that's why I asked...not just any av. Hat tip to chanman for also being on board.

Draft night 2008:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/111039-The-2008-09-New-York-Knicks-Thread-A-New-Era-Begins?p=5237435&viewfull=1#post5237435

Edit: Wow reading through that thread a little bit...it puts the Carmelo Anthony ride in perspective - I now consider this drama to be a pleasure.

http://www.knicksonline.com/images/players/big/Jerome_James_250.jpg

Edit #2: Here you go Snatch, found it :)

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/111039-The-2008-09-New-York-Knicks-Thread-A-New-Era-Begins/page22

Brick Tamland
02-17-11, 11:57 AM
I hate the NBA from the stand point that a team needs stars in order to win a championship. It's just the nature of the sport but it still sucks.
No other other sport (maybe NHL. You do need a couple of elite players but nothing crazy) is like this. But even the NHL is not as bad with needing the stars to win it all.

And they have a nerve to have a cap. lol I understand why though. But with sport being so star driven, your cap gets tied up pretty quickly.

Lebron is douche. But I agree about teams needing to be contracted. There just isn't enough stars in this league, for every team. It doesn't help either that 2 of the best are on one team.

I agree with this. Look at the Bobcats for God sake.

Yankeeah
02-17-11, 12:05 PM

I'd like to see the NBA make these changes, but they won't do it because it will reduce profits.

- Contract teams. The Raptors will never have a winning team because they won't get any free agents.

- Have less teams make the playoffs. Three division winners and two wild card teams. Have a play-in game. A play-in basketball game could be awesome.

THEBOSS84
02-17-11, 12:09 PM
Yep I noticed that you've been down since day 1 that's why I asked...not just any av. Hat tip to chanman for also being on board.

Draft night 2008:

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/111039-The-2008-09-New-York-Knicks-Thread-A-New-Era-Begins?p=5237435&viewfull=1#post5237435

Edit: Wow reading through that thread a little bit...it puts the Carmelo Anthony ride in perspective - I now consider this drama to be a pleasure.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/111039-The-2008-09-New-York-Knicks-Thread-A-New-Era-Begins/page22

Muhuahahah

Snatch Catch
02-17-11, 12:25 PM
Muhuahahah

"Muwhahahahah" is an evil, confident laugh.

I think you were looking at more of a "Bwahahahahaha!" for your post in that thread, which is a mocking, condescending laugh.

Snatch Catch
02-17-11, 12:25 PM

Draft night 2008:

Props for finding that post!

THEBOSS84
02-17-11, 12:28 PM
"Muwhahahahah" is an evil, confident laugh.

I think you were looking at more of a "Bwahahahahaha!" for your post in that thread, which is a mocking, condescending laugh.

Bwahahahaha!

Snatch Catch
02-17-11, 01:53 PM
Bwahahahaha!

That's much better. Your post most definitely deserved the proper treatment.

You probably could have upped your a and h tally a bit, but that's just me picking nits at this point.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 02:03 PM
Denver's asking price for Carmelo Anthony is more outlandish than previously thought.

The Post has learned the Nuggets made a whopping demand one week ago that is more exorbitant than recent reports. According to a league source debriefed on Carmelo Anthony negotiations, Denver asked for Wilson Chandler, Danilo Gallinari, Landry Fields, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov and a first-round pick (obtained via Anthony Randolph) for Anthony and point guard Chauncey Billups.

Yes, it looks like the Nuggets demanded everything but James Dolan's Radio City Music Hall

"They want everything," the league source said of Denver. "The Knicks didn't even have to sit down and talk about that offer. It's not even logistically possible. They'd have two miserable stars with nothing around them."

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/source_nuggets_want_knicks_and_deal_Ruwhn5zMP2Dib0Uq72DAIM

________

So they want the Knicks team. :P

While they're at it, they can have D'Antoni too.

Wow.....How are the Knicks supposed to negotiate off that? Denver does NOT want to deal with them... If they did, they wouldn't have started off with such a blatantly disrespectful offer (although maybe they did because the Knicks offer is also fairly disrespectful). I heard Alan Hahn, but I'm still leaning towards the notion that Denver will do anything to avoid dealing with the Knicks. As others have also said, Melo is ticked off at NY and if a trade isn't made, I think he might just refuse to sign with them in the off-season. Too many people have mentioned this for me to think it's not true. Now I think Melo is a moron if he thinks this because the Knicks don't owe him anything (like ravaging their team) just so he can get his $$.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 02:04 PM
I agree that Denver is trying to get close to the deadline and assumes that someone will blink. It wouldn't shock me if a deal isn't made b/c they are trying to make the big score.

It's only Walsh's fault if he refuses to up the offer at all (because what's on the plate is embarrassing and there's no way Denver can take it). The idea of a trade isn't to gouge the other team, it's to make a fair deal. I do not think the Knicks could or should cave to the Nuggets' demands, but at least offer them something they can accept.

Brick Tamland
02-17-11, 02:05 PM
Wow.....How are the Knicks supposed to negotiate off that? Denver does NOT want to deal with them... If they did, they wouldn't have started off with such a blatantly disrespectful offer (although maybe they did because the Knicks offer is also fairly disrespectful). I heard Alan Hahn, but I'm still leaning towards the notion that Denver will do anything to avoid dealing with the Knicks. As others have also said, Melo is ticked off at NY and if a trade isn't made, I think he might just refuse to sign with them in the off-season. Too many people have mentioned this for me to think it's not true. Now I think Melo is a moron if he thinks this because the Knicks don't owe him anything (like ravaging their team) just so he can get his $$.

If Melo is indeed ticked off then he is retarded. What does he expect? For the Knicks to agree to any terms that Denver asks for? I don't believe these reports that are claiming he's getting annoyed. He's smarter than that. At least I think he is.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 02:05 PM

That's a pretty big hold up because you don't know what Denver is going to do. They aren't thinking or acting logically -yet for some reason, Melo is blaming the Knicks, lol.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 02:08 PM
If Melo is indeed ticked off then he is retarded. What does he expect? For the Knicks to agree to any terms that Denver asks for? I don't believe these reports that are claiming he's getting annoyed. He's smarter than that. At least I think he is.

If it were just one guy, then yeah, I'd agree...but too many people are saying that Melo is annoyed. Look, if he gets to FA and he decides to sign elsewhere to spite the Knicks, then he's just hurting himself. Right now he's a member of the Nuggets - the idea that he's trying to pressure the Knicks so he can get his $$ is ludicrous.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 02:09 PM

Denver wants to push this to the end and make Donnie blink. They are asking for the moon and the stars because they want to have a place to come down from at the last minute and exact a huge payment from the Knicks. It's not that they don't want to make a deal with the Knicks -- it's that they want to make a great deal. It looks like they don't have any other options.

Oh, and on the bolded point, have you heard how much Cliff Lee likes Texas?

Melan-cynic
02-17-11, 02:18 PM
:clap:

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 05:47 PM
Denver wants to push this to the end and make Donnie blink. They are asking for the moon and the stars because they want to have a place to come down from at the last minute and exact a huge payment from the Knicks. It's not that they don't want to make a deal with the Knicks -- it's that they want to make a great deal. It looks like they don't have any other options.

I guess we'll see soon enough. I've been saying for awhile now that Donnie needs to up his offer, but no way does he need to blink and offer up the team on a silver platter. Hahn said that he and Dolan are on the same page and I think they'd not do any deal rather then completely tear the team apart. Denver has no clue what they want and by all accounts they are clueless; that makes them hard to read and logic does not apply to them.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 06:00 PM
I guess we'll see soon enough. I've been saying for awhile now that Donnie needs to up his offer, but no way does he need to blink and offer up the team on a silver platter. Hahn said that he and Dolan are on the same page and I think they'd not do any deal rather then completely tear the team apart. Denver has no clue what they want and by all accounts they are clueless; that makes them hard to read and logic does not apply to them.

And, you know, if Denver doesn't come to their senses and they don't trade Carmelo, that's fine. I hope Donnie is exploring other opportunities for Curry's expiring contract in the event the deal falls through.

Yankeeah
02-17-11, 06:03 PM
And, you know, if Denver doesn't come to their senses and they don't trade Carmelo, that's fine. I hope Donnie is exploring other opportunities for Curry's expiring contract in the event the deal falls through.

If we don't get Carmelo, we will get the 1st for Randolph, and hopefully Curry can get traded for something

Panamaniac42
02-17-11, 07:07 PM
I'm sure Donnie is really scared now.

Carmelo Anthony will finally meet face-to-face with Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov over All-Star weekend, sources tell ESPN.com.
The Nuggets are encouraging Anthony to meet with Prokhorov because they covet Derrick Favors more than any other player mentioned. But the Nets will only trade for Anthony if he is willing to sign an extension, so this meeting is significant. Prokhorov has a steep task ahead of him -- convincing Anthony that playing in Newark/Brooklyn with Brook Lopez is better than playing in Madison Square Garden with Amare Stoudemire. For now, Melo's most likely destination is New Jersey or New York. ESPN notes that the Mavs and Rockets appear to be pulling out.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/11/alg_nets_bucks.jpg

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 07:58 PM
I'm sure Donnie is really scared now.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/02/11/alg_nets_bucks.jpg

So now NJ is still a likely destination? If Prokorov can convince him, then so be it............the Earth won't stop spinning on its axis if the Knicks don't get Melo. Melo needs to know that the Nuggets don't care what he wants - they are pushing NJ on him because they don't want to deal with NY. If he's wanted to be with NY all along and yet somehow is convinced by Prokorov, then how badly did he want to be here anyway?

alanhahn
.As long as the Knicks are in play, Carmelo can force Nuggets to deal with Knicks. Prokhorov is right to want commitment first.
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck .

@Bballer23NYK Report says Nugs want Melo to meet with Prokhorov...Nets dont want to waste their time. Nugs trying to create competition.
about 1 hour ago via TweetDeck in reply to Bballer23NYK

So Melo is going to meet with the Nets because Denver wants him to? Why not just refuse?

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:01 PM

I think they'll trade him to NJ.............either that, or they'll hold onto him.. I'm not quite sure why the Nets are meeting with Denver over the break, but Walsh isn't........but how much is there to talk about really when the two sides are SO far apart

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:07 PM
WojYahooNBA

Denver-NJ in advanced talks on Anthony, Billups, Balkman, Ely, Williams for Favors, Harris, Murphy, Uzoh and 4 1st rounders, source tells Y! 8 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/38401880061124608) via web

Ok, well hopefully Melo will say no........this looks pretty serious

Panamaniac42
02-17-11, 08:08 PM
Nice deal for Denver

WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA)
Denver-NJ in advanced talks on Anthony, Billups, Balkman, Ely, Williams for Favors, Harris, Murphy, Uzoh and 4 1st rounders, source tells Y!

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 08:08 PM
I think they'll trade him to NJ.............either that, or they'll hold onto him.. I'm not quite sure why the Nets are meeting with Denver over the break, but Walsh isn't........but how much is there to talk about really when the two sides are SO far aparet.

#1: They're either going to trade him or not. It doesn't make any sense that, if they want to deal him, they are going to exclude the Knicks from consideration. They are trying to get the best deal.

#2: Prokhorov is meeting with Anthony. He is trying to convince him to consider the Nets. The Knicks don't need to meet with Carmelo because he's willing to go to NY. People don't need to be in the same room to make trades, and Denver has a huge interest in getting as many players involved as they can as they approach the deadline.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:11 PM
Nice deal for Denver

Melo really needs to either put his foot down and say he's not going to NJ. If he doesn't, then that's an indication that he's willing to do.......I mean, why are NJ and Denver going down this path again if they don't think Melo will agree? With all the reports that Melo is annoyed at the Knicks (he shouldn't be, but still - that's apparently how he feels), I can see him agreeing. Donnie needs to at least up his offer.......if for no other reason than to show Melo that they want him and are willing to go after him.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:13 PM
#1: They're either going to trade him or not. It doesn't make any sense that, if they want to deal him, they are going to exclude the Knicks from consideration. They are trying to get the best deal.

#2: Prokhorov is meeting with Anthony. He is trying to convince him to consider the Nets. The Knicks don't need to meet with Carmelo because he's willing to go to NY. People don't need to be in the same room to make trades, and Denver has a huge interest in getting as many players involved as they can as they approach the deadline.

The Knicks can not offer the best deal - NJ can.

Good points, but why is Melo meeting with NJ if he's dead set on NY?

Panamaniac42
02-17-11, 08:13 PM
I'm not quite sure why the Nets are meeting with Denver over the break, but Walsh isn't........

Because Melo is the one who has the final say because nobody will meet Denver's demands without an extension. He wants the Knicks, has to be sold on the Nets.

The 'Melo-Prokhorov meeting "may" happen in LA. Guess who Melo is definitely meeting in LA? Amar'e. Walsh doesn't need to fly out to LA to listen to Ujiri talk bullsh*t.

And if Melo agrees to sign an extension with NJ, so be it. NJ is getting raped in that deal.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 08:19 PM
The Knicks can not offer the best deal - NJ can.

Good points, but why is Melo meeting with NJ if he's dead set on NY?

None of us know whether he is set on NY or not, but it would be a pretty bad move to not meet with NJ -- you never know what's going to happen. LeBron, for instance, met with every team that wanted to meet with him, even though he had no intention of playing for some of them. This is a business, after all.

Donnie can express his love for Melo in ways other than upping his offer. The question is, as it has been for a while, whether Carmelo is really willing to plunge into the uncertainty of the expiring labor contract without a deal. He'd no doubt like to avoid that -- the question is how much.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:29 PM
Because Melo is the one who has the final say because nobody will meet Denver's demands without an extension. He wants the Knicks, has to be sold on the Nets.

The 'Melo-Prokhorov meeting "may" happen in LA. Guess who Melo is definitely meeting in LA? Amar'e. Walsh doesn't need to fly out to LA to listen to Ujiri talk bullsh*t.

And if Melo agrees to sign an extension with NJ, so be it. NJ is getting raped in that deal.

LOL that's true...............

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:32 PM
None of us know whether he is set on NY or not, but it would be a pretty bad move to not meet with NJ -- you never know what's going to happen. LeBron, for instance, met with every team that wanted to meet with him, even though he had no intention of playing for some of them. This is a business, after all.

Donnie can express his love for Melo in ways other than upping his offer. The question is, as it has been for a while, whether Carmelo is really willing to plunge into the uncertainty of the expiring labor contract without a deal. He'd no doubt like to avoid that -- the question is how much.

Good point about Lebron.

I understand that Melo wants his contract now and that's why he wants a deal now, but for some reason he thinks the Knicks aren't really going all out for him. The Knicks offering up their team on a silver platter might be the only thing that convinces him that the Knicks want him. Who really knows what's going on in his head ? The thing is, he's not a GM and he ought to be thinking of his possible future team; does he really want them to rip apart their entire team so he could get his $$?

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 08:45 PM
alanhahn

Adding further confusion: AP quotes Prokhorov assistant saying “Mikhail has not changed his mind" on Carmelo situation. 11 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/alanhahn/status/38408046203899904) via ÜberTwitter (http://www.ubertwitter.com/bb/download.php)

RT @WojYahooNBA (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA): Once again, Nets/Nugs have a framework, but Carmelo needs to be sold. Prokhorov-'Melo meeting could finally happen in L.A.

More.....

Melan-cynic
02-17-11, 08:51 PM
Could be wrong but it sure seems like Woj is frequently duped and used to build leverage. IMO, it's more phantom talk being generated by the Nugs to make New York blink.

Snatch Catch
02-17-11, 08:52 PM
Here go the wheels in motion. If this happens like I think it will, this is a hurdle that needs to be cleared before Denver can legitimately engage the Knicks. Prokhorov meeting with Melo and getting turned down (or the Nets backing out AGAIN) must happen if the Knicks have a shot. That way the Denver FO can sell that they tried to get the best available package at the deadline, but Carmelo wouldn't agree to go to NJ, so they had to settle on the Knicks.

Hopefully Melo doesn't fold.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 08:58 PM
Could be wrong but it sure seems like Woj is frequently duped and used to build leverage. IMO, it's more phantom talk being generated by the Nugs to make New York blink.

If that's fake, it would be a pretty lame move by the Nuggets, because it could be debunked so easily. I wonder if the Nuggets were trying to get him back in and someone got the info wrong?

If it is untrue, and Donnie wants to turn the tables, you'd start seeing stories about the Knicks offering Curry's contract, Randolph, etc., for other pieces they could use because they are frustrated by the Nuggets. But they might not want to have those thoughts in Carmelo's head.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 09:01 PM
Here go the wheels in motion. If this happens like I think it will, this is a hurdle that needs to be cleared before Denver can legitimately engage the Knicks. Prokhorov meeting with Melo and getting turned down (or the Nets backing out AGAIN) must happen if the Knicks have a shot. That way the Denver FO can sell that they tried to get the best available package at the deadline, but Carmelo wouldn't agree to go to NJ, so they had to settle on the Knicks.

Hopefully Melo doesn't fold.

Agree -- and I think it is more than window dressing to sell it. They are trying to create a market to drive up the price. They want to maximize the value of their asset. This is going to go down to the wire

Melan-cynic
02-17-11, 09:23 PM
If that's fake, it would be a pretty lame move by the Nuggets, because it could be debunked so easily. I wonder if the Nuggets were trying to get him back in and someone got the info wrong?
Good point but reporters are fed incorrect info. which serve ulterior motives all the time.

How many Melo rumors have been debunked throughout this saga?... The Lakers rumor was debunked 10 minutes later.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 09:31 PM
Good point but reporters are fed incorrect info. which serve ulterior motives all the time.

How many Melo rumors have been debunked throughout this saga?... The Lakers rumor was debunked 10 minutes later.

Oh, I agree with your first point -- but what does Donnie take that this rumor comes out and, say, it isn't true? That the Nuggets are even more desperate than he thought?

If Denver is doing this on purpose, they're playing this very badly.

Melan-cynic
02-17-11, 10:28 PM
Oh, I agree with your first point -- but what does Donnie take that this rumor comes out and, say, it isn't true? That the Nuggets are even more desperate than he thought?

If Denver is doing this on purpose, they're playing this very badly.
Well, to be fair, Denver has been playing this pretty badly all along IMO. And I hear your side too but Hahn literally referred to their act as "amateur hour" today. [He's the man, btw, and has separated himself as the #1 source for Knicks info]

Hobbes40
02-17-11, 10:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6133683

NEWARK, N.J. -- New Jersey Nets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=njn) owner Mikhail Prokhorov has not changed his mind about the franchise's pursuit of Carmelo Anthony (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/1975/carmelo-anthony).

The Russian told team executives last month to end drawn-out trade talks for the Denver Nuggets (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=den)' All-Star forward and nothing has changed with the NBA trading deadline a week away, his spokeswoman said Thursday.
There were reports on Wednesday that the Nets and Nuggets had renewed talks about a deal for Anthony. However, Prokhorov spokeswoman Ellen Pinchuk said in an e-mail that the billionaire maintains his stance, despite the reports.
"Mikhail has not changed his mind," Pinchuk wrote.
When asked if that meant Prokhorov does not want the Nets to reopen talks with Denver at this point, the spokeswoman said:
"What I said is what I said," she insisted. "Not what you said."

The Denver FO is so incredibly unprofessional...they're literally making stuff up to try to fleece us.

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-17-11, 11:00 PM
Well, to be fair, Denver has been playing this pretty badly all along IMO. And I hear your side too but Hahn literally referred to their act as "amateur hour" today. [He's the man, btw, and has separated himself as the #1 source for Knicks info]

Regardless, I agree with that -- if they really frustrated the Nets out of this, they blew this a long time ago. But if they literally are making up meetings that aren't going to happen, they are even worse than I gave them credit for. And it's certainly possible.

Rocketbooster
02-17-11, 11:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=6133683

The Denver FO is so incredibly unprofessional...they're literally making stuff up to try to fleece us.

I don't believe it - it's a smokescreen, I'm sure of it; I do believe Melo and the Nets are going to meet. How many times have we heard "officials" say one thing when the opposite was done?

Melo has this in his hands - he could end the NJ stuff by just saying he refuses to sign there, but he won't do that so this continues.

Hobbes40
02-17-11, 11:09 PM
I don't believe it - it's a smokescreen, I'm sure of it; I do believe Melo and the Nets are going to meet. How many times have we heard "officials" say one thing when the opposite was done?

Melo has this in his hands - he could end the NJ stuff by just saying he refuses to sign there, but he won't do that so this continues.

I don't know...the supposed Nets offer is actually higher than what it was before, if that's true, then Prokohov will look like an idiot. But ultimately you're right, this is essentially in Melo's hands.

kan_t
02-17-11, 11:37 PM
I don't know...the supposed Nets offer is actually higher than what it was before, if that's true, then Prokohov will look like an idiot. But ultimately you're right, this is essentially in Melo's hands.
I don't think Prokohov will take this risk. The supposed offer is likely come from the Nuggets.

Yankees1962
02-18-11, 05:14 AM
IMO, I think Melo takes the money by agreeing to a trade and signing that contract. I think it's going to be the Nets unless the Knicks succumb to the Nuggets demands.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 08:16 AM
IMO, I think Melo takes the money by agreeing to a trade and signing that contract. I think it's going to be the Nets unless the Knicks succumb to the Nuggets demands.

So do I.......Melo is also annoyed with the Knicks and is not going to be inclined to wait. This is where Donnie's patience is proving to be wrong-headed. At this point, he needs to make a better offer than the sad one that's already on the table. At this point, waiting almost looks arrogant on the part of the Knicks, like they think they can have Melo whenever they want. Hahn talked about an increasing sense of urgency, but I don't see it. They need to make a real, representative offer like right now..............

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 08:22 AM
(http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/17/2011-02-17_james_dolan_and_mikhail_prokhorov_both_scheduled_to_meet_with_carmelo_anthony_in.html)http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/17/2011-02-17_james_dolan_and_mikhail_prokhorov_both_scheduled_to_meet_with_carmelo_anthony_in.html

(http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/17/2011-02-17_james_dolan_and_mikhail_prokhorov_both_scheduled_to_meet_with_carmelo_anthony_in.html)

If Dolan is going to meet with Melo, then I don't know why Donnie isn't there. Dolan wants this done, so even if he's on the same page with Walsh now, I can see him caving. That would be pretty awful - so we'd have Melo, .Amare and no one else if whe trade Fields, Gallo, Felton, etc........ For that price, as painful as it would be, I'd let Melo go to the Nets.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/make_or_break_S7SCjPUQ9mDGFwy8lckjAK

The Post reported yesterday the Nuggets last week asked for the whole enchilada -- Danilo Gallinari, Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields, Raymond Felton, Timofey Mozgov and a first-round pick (via an Anthony Randolph trade) for Anthony and aging point guard Chauncey Billups.

The Knicks feared the outlandish demand was a sign the Nuggets don't want to deal Anthony to them by asking for something that would get turned down. The Knicks and Nuggets were still far apart before the Nets swooped in to offer them golden nuggets.

The Knicks just figured out now that the Nuggets didn't want to deal with them? Of course they're far apart - while the Nuggets have been spiteful and silly in how they've handled this, the Knicks have been overconfident. They've assumed that Denver would always come back to them, that Denver has/had no other option....that Melo would ONLY want to play in NY and he'd forgo that extension for them. This could seriously come back and bite them in the fanny.

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 09:05 AM

And if that's the case I'm perfectly fine with it. There is no reason to gut the roster. If that rumored deal (or something close to it) goes through, it's a package that we couldn't top nor would I want us to top it. If 'Melo wants to join a starting lineup of Farmar, Morrow, Humphries, and Lopez, so be it.

Hobbes40
02-18-11, 09:10 AM

Doesn't make sense to me...if he wants to win, he may as well stay in Denver and sign the extension there...the Nets have nothing, and they'll have even less than nothing after this trade.

That being said, I was wrong, looks he's meeting both teams' reps over the weekend...

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 09:46 AM
If he's meeting with both Prokhorov and Dolan, how can anyone say he's choosing the money if he goes to the Nets? It sounds like he's choosing which team he wants to go to if the Nuggets are allowing him to meet with both.

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 10:05 AM
If he's meeting with both Prokhorov and Dolan, how can anyone say he's choosing the money if he goes to the Nets? It sounds like he's choosing which team he wants to go to if the Nuggets are allowing him to meet with both.

I'm just trying to figure out what kind of under the table sh*t that Russky bastard can possibly pull here. Really there is no reason for 'Melo to fold now and go to NJ over NY. But if he's going to get face time with him, anything is possible. Sorry I grew up in the 80's and have seen Rocky IV and The Hunt for Red October.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 10:18 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of under the table sh*t that Russky bastard can possibly pull here. Really there is no reason for 'Melo to fold now and go to NJ over NY. But if he's going to get face time with him, anything is possible. Sorry I grew up in the 80's and have seen Rocky IV and The Hunt for Red October.

IF Denver is actually granting him meetings with both the Nets AND the Knicks, it means that they're confidence that a deal can be done with either. If Melo then chooses the Nets, that's on him. What are we going to do? It's not like he chose them because of money, because if the Knicks have a meeting, they're in position to trade for him and extend him, too. He'd be choosing them because he'd rather play for the NJ Nets and with Farmar, Outlol, Lopez, and Humphries than in The Garden with Stat and the Knicks.

If he makes that choice, then what can you do? It may be incredibly dumb, but it's what he wants.

Yankees1962
02-18-11, 10:24 AM
You and I are just going to disagree here, but IMO, if Denver refuses to trade him to the Knicks and he then accepts the trade to the Nets and signs the extension that's taking the known money amount over risking whatever he can get in free agency by signing with the Knicks.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 10:25 AM
By the way, if this Knicks meeting is legit, it is extemely comforting knowing O'Neil will be there because I believe he is the Knicks capologist and is very adept at showing future money scenarios regarding bringing other players in. If I recall correctly, he is a very vibrant and well spoken guy.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 10:26 AM
You and I are just going to disagree here, but IMO, if Denver refuses to trade him to the Knicks and he then accepts the trade to the Nets and signs the extension that's taking the known money amount over risking whatever he can get in free agency by signing with the Knicks.

My point centers around Dolan getting a meeting. If the Nuggets have granted the Knicks a meeting with Melo, I can only assume that there is a reasonable deal to be made.

Yankees1962
02-18-11, 10:31 AM
My point centers around Dolan getting a meeting. If the Nuggets have granted the Knicks a meeting with Melo, I can only assume that there is a reasonable deal to be made.
I can't make that jump yet.

tdel23
02-18-11, 10:33 AM
If he is meeting with the Knicks, why would he ever choose the Nets. I'm sure they are going to tell him how much they want him, and their reasoning for not pulling the trigger on a trade as of yet.

tdel23
02-18-11, 10:36 AM
alanhahn (http://twitter.com/#%21/alanhahn) Alan Hahn

Latest Fix on the conflicting reports in Carmelo situation; source says Knicks are assuming Nets are real threat: http://bit.ly/gQE4n5 #NBA (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23NBA)

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 10:38 AM
I can't make that jump yet.

I can understand that. I'm not even close to certain about anything myself. I just want it to end at this point.

Yankeeah
02-18-11, 10:41 AM
If he is meeting with the Knicks, why would he ever choose the Nets. I'm sure they are going to tell him how much they want him, and their reasoning for not pulling the trigger on a trade as of yet.

Maybe the Nuggets told him we will give you permission to meet with NYK, but then you have to meet with NJN?

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-18-11, 10:52 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what kind of under the table sh*t that Russky bastard can possibly pull here.

Polonium-210?

Yankees1962
02-18-11, 10:58 AM
I can understand that. I'm not even close to certain about anything myself. I just want it to end at this point.
You and me, both.

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 11:43 AM
Polonium-210?

:lol:

Yankee Fan in Boston
02-18-11, 11:48 AM

It's not his choice. The Nuggets probably want/need to know where he is willing to sign an extension, but it's their deal to make

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 11:48 AM
By the way, if this Knicks meeting is legit, it is extemely comforting knowing O'Neil will be there because I believe he is the Knicks capologist and is very adept at showing future money scenarios regarding bringing other players in. If I recall correctly, he is a very vibrant and well spoken guy.

I must admit I had to look him up.

http://www.thegarden.com/corporate/scott-oneil.html

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 11:49 AM
I think CAA are being these meetings.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 12:26 PM
Al I. now reporting the Nets have an agreement with the Nuggets, and now Carmelo has to sign off:

After nearly six months of pursuing Carmelo Anthony, countless phone calls, text messages, trade proposals, counteroffers and acrimonious times the Nets close to landing the four-time All-Star small forward – finally.

The Nets and Nuggets have reached a tentative agreement on a deal involving Carmelo Anthony, multiple NBA sources told The Record. The deal is pending Anthony agreeing to sign a three-year, $65 million contract extension.

If Anthony says yes, the Nets will get the four-time All-Star, Chauncey Billups, Sheldon Williams, Melvin Ely and Renaldo Balkman from the Nuggets. In turn, the Nets would send Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, Troy Murphy, Ben Uzoh and four first-round picks to Denver.

The Nets won’t do the trade unless Anthony agrees to the extension. They’re expected to meet with him during this All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles and convince him to join.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, general manager Billy King, CEO Brett Yormark and part-owner Jay-Z are in Los Angeles and likely will meet with Anthony to try and sell him on the future of the franchise and the move to Brooklyn.

If Anthony rejects the Nets, the Knicks are expected to be the frontrunners to land him.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
02-18-11, 12:33 PM
Don't give in Carmelo!

Brick Tamland
02-18-11, 12:50 PM
Don't give in Carmelo!

At least it will be over and done with and we can all finally get off this ride.

GordonGecko
02-18-11, 01:02 PM

Wonder if Dolan would resort to under the table sh*t too, like promising him $10-15M "off the books" if he signs as a FA

Yankeeah
02-18-11, 01:02 PM
Why would he suddenly want to go there after saying he doesn't want to for how many months?

GordonGecko
02-18-11, 01:05 PM
Why would he suddenly want to go there after saying he doesn't want to for how many months?

15 million dollars

Yankeeah
02-18-11, 01:14 PM
15 million dollars

Which he can get by being traded to, then signing with the Knicks

GordonGecko
02-18-11, 01:21 PM

Doesn't look like there's a deal the Knicks can do that will satisfy the Nuggets, so there will be no trade to the Knicks. At that point he has two options, accept a contract extension with the Nets or sign with the Knicks as a FA and lose about $15 Million. Money usually wins the day

Yankeeah
02-18-11, 01:24 PM
Doesn't look like there's a deal the Knicks can do that will satisfy the Nuggets

I disagree with this. If that was the case, they wouldn't meeting with the Knicks this weekend. And they wouldn't be floating these fake deals left and right. The Nuggets are going to trade him, they've put too much work into this to get nothing out of it.

If they make a deal with the Knicks it may not be what they were looking for, but it's the best deal they could make.

False1
02-18-11, 01:26 PM
I disagree with this. If that was the case, they wouldn't meeting with the Knicks this weekend. And they wouldn't be floating these fake deals left and right. The Nuggets are going to trade him, they've put too much work into this to get nothing out of it.

If they make a deal with the Knicks it may not be what they were looking for, but it's the best deal they could make.Maybe the meeting with the Knicks was/is to keep pressure on the Nets?

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 01:33 PM
Al I. now reporting the Nets have an agreement with the Nuggets, and now Carmelo has to sign off:

Hm.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, general manager Billy King, CEO Brett Yormark and part-owner Jay-Z are in Los Angeles and likely will meet with Anthony to try and sell him on the future of the franchise and the move to Brooklyn.

That's a tough sell when they're basically trading away the future (Favors & four firsts damnnnn). "Come play with a 7 foot center who can't rebound, bring your boy Chauncey, and we'll ball out in Newark in front of our apathetic fanbase for the next 2 years. In 2012 after Chauncey leaves, we may or may not be able to acquire a PG because we'll have almost $38mil tied up in You/Outlaw/Petro/Farmar/Morrow - it depends on what Brook Lopez wants to be paid if he's even worth keeping at that point. Then we'll head to Brooklyn and try to carve out a footprint in a city owned by the Knicks."

I mean...if he's that scared about getting paid, then go ahead with it I guess. I'm glad the Knicks won't bend over (barring an Isiah/Dolan debacle).

"I ain't hard to find, you catch me front n' center
At the Knick game, big chain, in all my splendor

Next to Spike when you pan left to right
I own Madison Square, catch me at the fight"

-Jay-Z, Nets minority owner, Knicks fan.

YanksFan1992
02-18-11, 01:34 PM
What are the odds on Joba-Walkee coming back to troll the Knicks thread? 100 percent? 95?

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:35 PM
I think Melo is gone............UNLESS Dolan can convince him that the Knicks want him badly, but that Denver refused to deal with them (which their off-the-wall trade proposal indicated). Melo seems to think, for some reason, that the Knicks don't want him - and as stupid as that may be, it's still his thinking. I can not see him turning down guaranteed $20 million that he may never see if he signs with NY.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:37 PM

Easy - Denver is not going to trade him to the Knicks, period.....unless it's for that ridiculous package. Maybe it's a courtesy thing, I don't know.....

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:39 PM

It's that easy? I don't think so. Denver will not trade him here, period. I doubt it's just about the package - they don't want to give Melo what he wants. When you start off with that kind of trade proposal that the Nuggets did, that tells me that you have no interest in negotiating with the other team.

kan_t
02-18-11, 01:41 PM
Easy - Denver is not going to trade him to the Knicks, period.....unless it's for that ridiculous package. Maybe it's a courtesy thing, I don't know.....
I think they will. But only if the Nets can't get it done. Can you really blame the Nuggets when the Nets offer them 4 first round picks, Favors who is a No.3 pick this year and a solid PG Harris?

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:42 PM
Hm.

That's a tough sell when they're basically trading away the future (Favors & four firsts damnnnn). "Come play with a 7 foot center who can't rebound, bring your boy Chauncey, and we'll ball out in Newark in front of our apathetic fanbase for the next 2 years. In 2012 after Chauncey leaves, we may or may not be able to acquire a PG because we'll have almost $38mil tied up in You/Outlaw/Petro/Farmar/Morrow - it depends on what Brook Lopez wants to be paid if he's even worth keeping at that point. Then we'll head to Brooklyn and try to carve out a footprint in a city owned by the Knicks."

I mean...if he's that scared about getting paid, then go ahead with it I guess. I'm glad the Knicks won't bend over (barring an Isiah/Dolan debacle).

"I ain't hard to find, you catch me front n' center
At the Knick game, big chain, in all my splendor

Next to Spike when you pan left to right
I own Madison Square, catch me at the fight"

-Jay-Z, Nets minority owner, Knicks fan.

I agree.....I'm tired of his "Knicks don't want me because they won't bend over for Denver" attitude. If he wants the money, then ok - but he's still not going to win. I also don't want to hear about any regrets he might have. I don't begrudge anyone the desire or right to make as much as they can, but he'd be making a choice for $$ over future happiness. If he ends up being miserable in NJ, I don't want to hear it - he would have gone in eyes wide open

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:43 PM
I think they will. But only if the Nets can't get it done. Can you really blame the Nuggets when the Nets offer them 4 first round picks, Favors who is a No.3 pick this year and a solid PG Harris?

I'm not blaming the Nuggets for preferring the Nets' package, but I still don't think they will deal with the Knicks. I expect Melo to sign with NJ so I think it's moot anyway.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 01:43 PM
Lol at the thought that the Nuggets are going to hold him after this drama.

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 01:44 PM
NYDNInterNets
No meeting is set yet with the Nets.
less than a minute ago via web

NYDNInterNets
Carmelo's meeting with the <nobr style="color: rgb(0, 128, 150); font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%; font-family: &quot;Lucida Grande&quot;,&quot;Trebuchet MS&quot;,Verdana,Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;" id="itxt_nobr_25_0">Knickshttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/mag-glass_10x10.gif</nobr> (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1093138&start=120#) is set for this afternoon, according to a source.

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 01:47 PM
Melo seems to think, for some reason, that the Knicks don't want him - and as stupid as that may be, it's still his thinking.

How do you know that? I think it's a huge misconception that the mediots have put out there. He could be getting a couples massage with STAT right now for all we know. He has to know the Knicks want him. As someone who wants to win, he has to also respect that Donnie isn't going to lube up for Denver and gut the roster.

Melo Update
BY TOMMY DEE ON FEB 18, 2011, 1:32 PM

It’s pretty simple from my end. Everything I’ve heard thus far is to say that Melo will not be extending. Unfortunately, our video upload system is dragging so I can’t show you my conversation with Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post who knows Melo as well as anyone. His words:

Melo won’t extend in New Jersey.

I’ve heard that a few times today. More as the situation develops.

Yankeeah
02-18-11, 01:47 PM
It's that easy? I don't think so. Denver will not trade him here, period. I doubt it's just about the package - they don't want to give Melo what he wants. When you start off with that kind of trade proposal that the Nuggets did, that tells me that you have no interest in negotiating with the other team.

I agree that isn't not easy and the Nuggets aren't about to do him any favors, but they still have to run the team.

And come on man, you can't believe everything you read in the paper. Even if that is what they asked for, it's a negotiation. I bought a car in December and what we started it was much higher than where we ended.

jeterdaman
02-18-11, 01:51 PM
How do you know that? He could be getting a couples massage with STAT right now for all we know. He has to know the Knicks want him. As someone who wants to win, he has to also respect that Donnie isn't going to lube up for Denver and gut the roster.

Gut the roster? The Nets are asking for guys who would be coming off the bench on virtually every top 6 seeds in each conference. I love that someone like Landry Fields is preventing the Knicks from getting one of the biggest scorers in the league. It's laughable to me Knick fans are going to wake up tomorrow and realize what a horrible mistake this was.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:54 PM
How do you know that? I think it's a huge misconception that the mediots have put out there. He could be getting a couples massage with STAT right now for all we know. He has to know the Knicks want him. As someone who wants to win, he has to also respect that Donnie isn't going to lube up for Denver and gut the roster.

Where there's smoke, there's fire. Too many people have mentioned this for me to think it's not partly true. I could be wrong, but then we're all of us just speculating - none of us really knows anything. You know this and I know this, but I have no idea if Melo knows this - and he wants his $$$.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:57 PM
I agree that isn't not easy and the Nuggets aren't about to do him any favors, but they still have to run the team.

And come on man, you can't believe everything you read in the paper. Even if that is what they asked for, it's a negotiation. I bought a car in December and what we started it was much higher than where we ended.

I agree with that but I still don't think Denver wants to deal with NY. Hahn called it "amateur hour" - I can easily see them holding onto Melo instead of giving him what he wants

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 01:58 PM
Gut the roster? The Nets are asking for guys who would be coming off the bench on virtually every top 6 seeds in each conference. I love that someone like Landry Fields is preventing the Knicks from getting one of the biggest scorers in the league. It's laughable to me Knick fans are going to wake up tomorrow and realize what a horrible mistake this was.

What are you talking about? The Nets want everyone on the team practically: Fields, Gallinari, Felton, etc.....THAT is gutting the team.

Yankee Tripper
02-18-11, 01:58 PM
....Melo ... he wants his $$$.
yep - nail meet head

murpjf88
02-18-11, 02:04 PM
Doesn't look like there's a deal the Knicks can do that will satisfy the Nuggets, so there will be no trade to the Knicks. At that point he has two options, accept a contract extension with the Nets or sign with the Knicks as a FA and lose about $15 Million. Money usually wins the day

This is because New York isn't serious in the negotiation. The Knicks are sitting on there laurels giving Denver below value offers with the assumption Denver will either cave in or hold out until the offseason where they will undoubtedly lose him to free agency. If you look at the framework of the blockbuster between the Nets and Nuggs... what's not to like...

Nets get:

Anthony
Billups
Balkman
Ely
Williams

Nuggets get:

Murphy
Harris
Favors
Uzoh
4 first round picks

I suspect unless New York gets serious and offers Felton in a package along with possibly one, if not both Fields and Gallinari, The Knicks won't pry Anthony away from Denver. The only possible hang up is whether or not Anthony is willing to signs an extension with New Jersey. For New York, everything hinges on how badly they want Anthony and what are they willing to part with in order to get him.

GordonGecko
02-18-11, 02:05 PM
Doesn't look like there's a deal the Knicks can do that will satisfy the Nuggets

The Nuggets want the entire Knicks team save for #1. There's no way that's a deal the Knicks will do. Nuggets will line up a deal with the Nets, and it's going to be on Carmelo to decide if he accepts to go there. I hope he says no and tells the Nuggets Knicks or nothing, but not counting on it considering the money he'll be missing out on

jeterdaman
02-18-11, 02:09 PM
What are you talking about? The Nets want everyone on the team practically: Fields, Gallinari, Felton, etc.....THAT is gutting the team.

You're not challenging for anything this year. Who cares if they take these guys. They're all replaceable parts at this point.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 02:11 PM
I've read that the Knicks were also concerned about what they'd be taking back (Harrington) in addition to what they'd be giving up....no wonder.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 02:13 PM
Source tells Newsday Prokhorov and Jay-Z looking to meet with Carmelo today in L.A. More to come. 1 minute ago (http://twitter.com/alanhahn/status/38657051055886336) via TweetDeck (http://www.tweetdeck.com/)

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 02:15 PM
This is because New York isn't serious in the negotiation. The Knicks are sitting on there laurels giving Denver below value offers with the assumption Denver will either cave in or hold out until the offseason where they will undoubtedly lose him to free agency. If you look at the framework of the blockbuster between the Nets and Nuggs... what's not to like...

Nets get:

Anthony
Billups
Balkman
Ely
Williams

Nuggets get:

Murphy
Harris
Favors
Uzoh
4 first round picks

I suspect unless New York gets serious and offers Felton in a package along with possibly one, if not both Fields and Gallinari, The Knicks won't pry Anthony away from Denver. The only possible hang up is whether or not Anthony is willing to signs an extension with New Jersey. For New York, everything hinges on how badly they want Anthony and what are they willing to part with in order to get him.

I agree - Walsh has been given tons of credit for being patient, but IMO he's been almost too patient, almost too confident. I mean come on - that current offer is embarrassing; If I'm Denver, I read that as "hey, they are trying to screw us instead of trying to make an honest deal".

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 02:21 PM
I agree - Walsh has been given tons of credit for being patient, but IMO he's been almost too patient, almost too confident. I mean come on - that current offer is embarrassing; If I'm Denver, I read that as "hey, they are trying to screw us instead of trying to make an honest deal".

You know absolutely nothing at this point. Nothing. You have no idea what's going on, and you've admitted as much.

None of us do.

Basing an emotional response on "that current offer" is wasting everyone's time in here because you have no idea what, if any, offer the Knicks have actually made to the Nuggets.

Let's all just take a deep breath and wait to see what's what when the dust settles.

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 02:23 PM

There's only one side botching this negotiation and it's not Walsh. If NY is truly the only place he wants to go (and extend) Denver is lucky to be getting anything. Why in the world should Donnie give pieces away that he doesn't have to? At this point I really would love for him to stay in Denver and laugh my ass off as Ujiri gets "Boshed" 2 years in a row.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 02:23 PM
You know absolutely nothing at this point. Nothing. You have no idea what's going on, and you've admitted as much.

None of us do.

Basing an emotional response on "that current offer" is wasting everyone's time in here because you have no idea what, if any, offer the Knicks have actually made to the Nuggets.

Let's all just take a deep breath and wait to see what's what when the dust settles.

LOL Ok, I guess I can't argue with that......I'm glad I have a long weekend coming up; being at work during this time is agony, lol

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 02:24 PM
By the way, the greatest part of this recent rumoring is reading a Nets board where they were wondering where they were going to get their "third star."

Let that sink in for a minute, and feel the type of genuine laughter that starts deep in your stomach and slowly works its way up.

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 02:25 PM
Need to get my sanity back...gonna go finish up work and then enjoy the weather. It'll all be over Tuesday(?).

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 02:28 PM
Need to get my sanity back...gonna go finish up work and then enjoy the weather. It'll all be over Tuesday(?).

Thursday afternoon is the actual deadline, but we'll probably know a lot more by Tuesday, yes.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 02:35 PM
Hahn:

Source tells Newsday Knicks reluctance to include Danilo Gallinari in talks with Denver is hang-up in deal for Carmelo.

tdel23
02-18-11, 02:35 PM
hmmm interesting....

From AP: Carmelo Anthony says “no meeting at all” is scheduled with the New Jersey Nets. #fb (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23fb)

tdel23
02-18-11, 02:37 PM

Amar'e and Carmelo were together this morning for a community event with a couple of other All-Stars here in LA.

Source tells Newsday Knicks reluctance to include Danilo Gallinari in talks with Denver is hang-up in deal for Carmelo. #fb (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23fb)

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 02:38 PM
Thursday afternoon is the actual deadline, but we'll probably know a lot more by Tuesday, yes.

I say Tuesday (or even Wednesday I guess) because if Melo goes, then they need to turn their attention to Nene, JR Smith, and Billups if he's still there.

Also Knicks have to cleanup on their end if Curry or Randolph are still here.

Man this thread is like crack... Closing the window. PEACE

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 02:58 PM
I have a feeling Berger is going to stop in with some infor soon. He just tweeted "test" via the text function, when he usually uses an app or twitter directly. He's probably in LA and looking to put something up, but doesn't have normal access...

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 03:16 PM
Nope. Berger's got nothing new, just using the text feature for the first time.

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 03:17 PM
My guess:

Since Gallinari is holding up the deal, Knicks view him as a asset down the road. Perhaps CP3 at this time next year.
Don't think they're hanging on to him because he will be so important. (I think Fields is more of a fit with Amar'e/Melo) IF he is here when Melo comes he will likely be coming off the bench anyway. Not seeing many minutes...Unless D'Antoni goes REALLY small.

Amar'e 5
Carmelo 4
Gallo 3
Fields 2
Felton/Billups 1

Shutters the thought. :upset:

Basically Knicks just want him as a future asset.

But if push comes to shove Donnie will give him up.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 03:27 PM
Melo about to address the media any minute now. This should lead to a whole new round of speculation based on vagueries and outright lies. :lol:

YanksFan1992
02-18-11, 03:35 PM
Source tells Newsday Knicks reluctance to include Danilo Gallinari in talks with Denver is hang-up in deal for Carmelo. #fb (http://twitter.com/#%21/search?q=%23fb)

But what he's not saying is that the proposed deal was:

Carmelo Anthony and Al Harrington for:

Landry Fields
Raymond Felton
Wilson Chandler
Two first round picks
Walt Frazier's collection of fur coats
MSG Network (but not MSG Plus)
AND Danilo Gallinari

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 03:41 PM
"There's some things that I'm still thinking about in the back of my head. I'm ready for this whole thing to be over with."

You and the rest of the world, Melo. Get on with it, son.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 03:42 PM
Get a move on!

on signing extension with nj: "that's something i'm going to have to think about, deeply."

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 03:44 PM
thegarymiller gary miller
by thedrewskis
Melo says in L.A. he knows nothing about meeting with Nets. Billups reportedly says if dealt to NJ or NY, he'll try to force deal to Miami.

lol @ Billups.

Miami has no assets...

murpjf88
02-18-11, 03:46 PM
thegarymiller gary miller
by thedrewskis
Melo says in L.A. he knows nothing about meeting with Nets. Billups reportedly says if dealt to NJ or NY, he'll try to force deal to Miami.

lol @ Billups.

Miami has no assets...

Billups wants a buyout so he can sign with Miami. Another ring chaser.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 03:46 PM
:lol: I told you all that it would just be ambiguity and lies in this presser. Hilarious!

"Do I feel like (Nuggets) want me anymore? I can't answer that question."

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 03:53 PM
Watching Carmelo conference.

What I take out of this is FA will not be an option. I say this because he keeps leaving NJ as an option. Like a fall back 'I'll accept NJ IF NY can't get it done'. That's what I take from it.

So if you're the Knicks you better make the trade...

Yankee Tripper
02-18-11, 03:57 PM

What I take out of this is FA will not be an option. I say this because he keeps leaving NJ as an option. Like a fall back 'I'll accept NJ IF NY can't get it done'. That's what I take from it.

Translation -

I want my $65M
I hate Denver
I really want to play for the Knicks.
If the Knicks don't bend over for Denver I'll take the russian moffia money.

jeterdaman
02-18-11, 04:00 PM
Actually it's more like I want my $83 million. I'm not becoming a free agent. If you want me then come get me in the next few days otherwise I'll just be stupid wealthy in Denver or 30 minutes away in Brooklyn

Yankeeah
02-18-11, 04:05 PM
ESPN just saying the same things over and over

Yankees13
02-18-11, 04:15 PM
Getting to the point where I'm counting down the hours to the deadline. Whatever the resolution, I just want this over.

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 04:15 PM
Translation -

I want my $65M
I hate Denver
I really want to play for the Knicks.
If the Knicks don't bend over for Denver I'll take the russian moffia money.

Pretty much.

He wants his money. Can't blame him.

Needs still hold the cards though. You can't let Danilo Gallinari stand in your way of getting a legit star player.
I understand the concept of holding on to your assets. But what good is that asset when IF you keep it, but end up being unable to acquire the player whom you've been saving that asset for?

I'm referring to what I keep hearing is that the key to getting Paul is getting Carmelo. CP was on NBAtv saying how "Melo is his guy" blah blah .....
If the Knicks are holding on to Gallinari and miss out on Anthony because of it, then they're not getting Paul.

Also, Gallinari is a RFA next year (?). Why would NO-who would likely look to be saving money, be that interested in a player they have to pay? It will be a Wilson Chandler situation.

dabomb2045
02-18-11, 04:18 PM
Hate to keep harping on this...but am I the only one who feels like giving Paul a long term FA deal would be a disasterous decision?

Deron Williams is one thing. Paul is another at this point.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 04:38 PM
Wow, if this is true it means they're getting every opportunity to land Melo before he'll entertain the Nets.

James Dolan pulled a fast one on Russian billionaire Mikhail Prokhorov by arranging a meeting with Carmelo Anthony late Thursday in Los Angeles, The Daily News has learned.

Although the Nets and Nuggets have agreed on players that would be included in a proposed blockbuster trade, the Knicks and Nuggets are scheduled to hold a high-level conference call Friday afternoon, according to a Knicks official.

The four main players on the conference call will be Dolan, the Chairman of Madison Square Garden, as well as Knicks president Donnie Walsh. Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and Nuggets general manager, Masai Ujiri, will also be on the call.

The call indicates that the Knicks are definitely alive in their bid to acquire Anthony and that a deal can be made if both sides can agree on which players to include in the trade.

The holdup is the Knicks' reluctance to include Danilo Gallinari in the deal. The Nuggets want three starters, including Raymond Felton, a No. 1 pick and Eddy Curry's expiring contract.

The Knicks would get Anthony, Chauncey Billups plus other players to make the deal work under the salary cap guidelines, including Anthony Carter.

Anthony said today that he isn't aware of a meeting with Prokhorov. In all likelihood, Anthony is hoping that the Knicks and Nuggets can agree on a deal before he meets with Nets officials, including Prokhorov, the team owner, as well as minority owner Jay-Z.

murpjf88
02-18-11, 04:43 PM
Wow, if this is true it means they're getting every opportunity to land Melo before he'll entertain the Nets.

Do you have a link?

Yankees1962
02-18-11, 04:54 PM
So Melo already met with Dolan. He didn't sound like he did during his interview today.

Snatch Catch
02-18-11, 04:55 PM
Do you have a link?

Sorry,

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2011/02/18/2011-02-18_knicks_to_talk_to_nuggets_friday_afternoon_as_they_look_to_stay_alive_in_carmelo.html

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 05:14 PM
FisolaNYDN Frank Isola
Donnie Walsh and Denver GM Masai Ujiri also on conference call. If deal can't be worked out, Carmelo will meet with Nets officials

Carmelo forcing the Knicks hand.

Time to put up or shut Donnie.

No way Donnie thought the Nets or any other team would be here this late. He probably thought it would be just the Knicks-at this time, as the only option.

Got to hand it to Denver. They played it well. They want Gallo. Give them Gallo. Otherwise no Paul, no Anthony.

Yankees1962
02-18-11, 05:17 PM
FisolaNYDN Frank Isola
Donnie Walsh and Denver GM Masai Ujiri also on conference call. If deal can't be worked out, Carmelo will meet with Nets officials

Carmelo forcing the Knicks hand.

Time to put up or shut Donnie.

No way Donnie thought the Nets or any other team would be here this late. He probably thought it would be just the Knicks-at this time, as the only option.

Got to hand it to Denver. They played it well. They want Gallo. Give them Gallo. Otherwise no Paul, no Anthony.
How exactly do you know that? IMO, Walsh has been around the block too many times to be surprised and I never doubted that the Nets would be back in trade negotiations despite what happened last month.

Yankeeah
02-18-11, 05:17 PM
So basically, either a deal is done now or never?

Panamaniac42
02-18-11, 05:26 PM
I'm back for more punishment.

So I'm one of Gallo's biggest supporters but I am finally prepared to say goodbye. You hang onto him, his value diminishes as he becomes a bench player (unless you really want to go small which won't work against the contenders - Noah/Boozer, KG/Perk/Shaq, Bass/Howard, Dirk/Chandler, Pau/Bynum, Blair/Duncan etc.). Also, Slurpee has a point with him being another Chandler situation next season as contract status alters his trade value.

The part I'm not clear on is this "3 starters" stuff. Chandler isn't starting for the Knicks but is he included in that group (is Denver prepared to pay him)? Are we talking Chandler/Gallo/Felton?? If Gallo goes, it would be nice to keep Chandler as a 6th man. He can defend multiple positions and can live in a bench role. Still, not necessarily a deal breaker.

Billups
Fields
Anthony
Stoudemire
Mozgov
---
Douglas
Williams
Turiaf
Walker

I'll live with that...next step I guess is trading AR or our 2011 1st (whatever remains) for further depth. Corey Brewer?

So many questions, so few answers, such a big headache. Sorry for the confusing post its my brain doing diarrhea.

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 05:35 PM
How exactly do you know that? IMO, Walsh has been around the block too many times to be surprised and I never doubted that the Nets would be back in trade negotiations despite what happened last month.

His initial low ball offer (Chandler, Curry, Pick).

Think he would do that knowing he had competition?

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 05:36 PM
Hahn:

If that's true, that's a joke............and it had better not be D'Antoni who's causing this (though Donnie shouldn't be listening to him at all)

Yankees1962
02-18-11, 05:37 PM
His initial low ball offer (Chandler, Curry, Pick).

Think he would do that knowing he had competition?
I think he always knew the Nets would get back into it because they have the pieces that Denver really wants which is Favor and the draft choices. Hell, most of us thought the same.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 05:38 PM

I just can't agree with trading the entire team for him.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 05:40 PM
So Melo already met with Dolan. He didn't sound like he did during his interview today.

Did he? It's only 2:30 out there..........

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 05:43 PM
Let Melo go to NJ then.........the notion of trading the whole team is ludicrous

I don't believe those reports of them having to give up the whole team.

Gallo, Chandler, Curry, Pick/AR, Felton should get it done. This is not the whole team. Problem is Knicks want to keep Gallo.

THEBOSS84
02-18-11, 05:46 PM
Just get it done. Keep Fields.

JfromJersey
02-18-11, 05:46 PM
I wonder how persuasive Jay Z can be?
As persuasive as Spike Lee?

tdel23
02-18-11, 05:47 PM
Did he? It's only 2:30 out there..........

according to the Daily News the met on Thursday.

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 05:50 PM
according to the Daily News the met on Thursday.

Actually it appears they met Thursday to set up a conference call today.............so, it is now or never.

Here's more:

http://twitter.com/alanhahn

Asked Amar'e if trade for Melo guts roster, would there be enough: "I think the combination of us two would be great."
44 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® .

Amar'e spoke openly for first time about Carmelo. Said he'd love to have him as a teammate. Said he can't predict what will happen.
about 1 hour ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

.I asked Melo why not use extension to force trade, he said he didn't want to do it like that. Also said he didn't want to be a rental.
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® .

Melo says no meeting has been arranged with either NYK or NJN but "day is still young."
about 2 hours ago via Twitter for BlackBerry® .

Carmelo says before weekend is over he'd like to have "a legit offer" on table and meet with team. Says he can't say he has preference. #fb

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 05:51 PM
I hate Isola but:

FisolaNYDN <nobr>Frank Isola (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1093138&start=990#)</nobr>
For the Knicks, this could come down to what James Dolan wants. Sounds like Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni not thrilled with the deal
______

Sounds like Gallo is in the deal. Walsh trying to hold on to an asset. And Gallo is D'Antoni's boy. = "Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni not thrilled with the deal"

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 05:55 PM
NYDNInterNets

Amar'e Stoudemire on Carmelo potentially agreeing to become a Net: "I'd be very surprised. It's hard to picture him in a Nets jersey."
3 minutes ago via web

dabomb2045
02-18-11, 06:10 PM
If they do gut the roster to trade for Melo....it will be VERY interesting to see how Walsh then builds a good enough supporting cast around those two with a) limited financial flexibility b) limited assets to trade and c) not much in the way of draft picks.

SLURPEE
02-18-11, 06:28 PM
Teams are mad this trade hasn't happened.

Front office execs wading through lobby all asking: When does Melo deal happen so we can make our moves? So much else revolves around it.
_____

Many teams want to make runs at Melo's Denver sidekicks -- Nene, J.R. Smith -- but they don't move until Anthony does.
_____

Multiple GMs decrying circus of signed star meeting with big market owners like on a buffet line here. "We're like pro wrestling (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1093138&start=1080#)," one says.
______

lol

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 06:35 PM
I hate Isola but:

FisolaNYDN <NOBR>Frank Isola (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1093138&start=990#)</NOBR>
For the Knicks, this could come down to what James Dolan wants. Sounds like Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni not thrilled with the deal
______

Sounds like Gallo is in the deal. Walsh trying to hold on to an asset. And Gallo is D'Antoni's boy. = "Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni not thrilled with the deal"

I don't like it when an owner steps in and overrules a GM (what D'antoni wants is and should be immaterial; just how long does he think he's going to be here anyway? I know he's friends with GAllo's dad), but in this case, if it's just about Gallo, then I have to be ok with it. Now I still don't think I'd tear the team apart for Melo, but I admit that if Melo ends up elsewhere, I could have serious regrets.s

Rocketbooster
02-18-11, 06:36 PM
Teams are mad this trade hasn't happened.

Front office execs wading through lobby all asking: When does Melo deal happen so we can make our moves? So much else revolves around it.
_____

Many teams want to make runs at Melo's Denver sidekicks -- Nene, J.R. Smith -- but they don't move until Anthony does.
_____

Multiple GMs decrying circus of signed star meeting with big market owners like on a buffet line here. "We're like pro wrestling (http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1093138&start=1080#)," one says.
______

lol

I swear we went through this just a month or so ago with Lee, lol - well, it's obviously not the same situation, but baseball moves were on hold then.