PDA

View Full Version : Sonoma County Crushers sign Andy Morales

Jim F.
08-07-01, 11:00 AM
Sonoma County Crushers sign Andy Morales

August 6, 2001

ROHNERT PARK, Calif. (AP) -- Cuban defector Andy Morales, embroiled in a contract dispute with the New York Yankees, signed a contract with the Sonoma County Crushers of the independent Western Baseball League on Monday.

The third baseman, who left Cuba in July 2000, signed a $4.5 million, four-year contract with the Yankees on March 11. He hit just .231 with one homer and 14 RBIs in 160 at-bats with Double-A Norwich.

Last month, the players association filed a grievance against the Yankees when they stopped paying Morales' salary.

The Yankees say Morales is three years older than he claims. When they announced the signing, the team said Morales was 26.

Union lawyer Bob Lenaghan said when the grievance was filed that the Yankees have nothing to back up their assertion.

The Crushers list Morales' age as 26. No one with the team could be reached for comment.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news/ap/20010806/ap-morales-crushers.html

Michaels07
08-07-01, 12:40 PM
At least we know where he is.If i were George I would be very careful when it comes to signing unproven Cuban Ball Players.:cool:

MoRivera71
08-07-01, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Michaels07
At least we know where he is.If i were George I would be very careful when it comes to signing unproven Cuban Ball Players.:cool:

Good Point. I heard they are after Fidel Castro.:D

HoraceClarke
12-22-03, 10:29 PM
Anybody know what the outcome of this grievence was?