PDA

View Full Version : Rivera and 2 (count them TWO!) walks...

ChicagoYankeeFan
08-07-01, 09:52 AM
In another example of a very athletic, very talented Yankee prospect starting to learn the strike-zone, Juan Rivera had a 1-1 game last night with a double and two walks. Although he's only 22, he's playing in AAA and playing quite well except for his lack of plate discipline thus far. If he seriously improves his plate discipline this fall and in the winter leagues he could contend for a roster spot next season.

Outside of the A's who are probably the best in this regard, is there a team in the league whose coaches do as good a job as the Yankee coaches in helping prospects learn the stroke zone?

Michaels07
08-07-01, 10:36 AM
If i were Big George, i would look to improve the Hitting coaching at the Minor League level.I am not satisfied with the performance of Andy Brown at Tampa. This kid was#1 in 98 and has not shown any improvement in the contact part of the game.He was drafted at 17 yrs.6.6ft thin,hit`s the ball a long way, left handed .ideal for the stadium.:bad-ass:

ChicagoYankeeFan
08-07-01, 10:43 AM
There may be some improvements that they could make throughout the minors, but I don't know that Brown is indicative of a problem. He was a really, really raw HS talent drafted because of his physical potential. He had a huge swing with even bigger holes in it from day one. He's also had some injury problems since then.

I'm not giving up on him yet, but he's going to take a ton of work to move up.

Right next to him are three successes of the program though, Mitch Jones has made a successful transition to full season in the Florida State league from short-season last year, Vento is having a truly outstanding season and Parrish is showing good potential and plate discipline for a catcher.

Michaels07
08-07-01, 12:52 PM
All right handed hitters. Jones & Vento have good power numbers, but Jones still strikes out too much.Parrish needs more time but is improving steadily.I like a batting instructor who insists on getting the bat on the ball. It`s not how hard you swing at a pitch but how you make contact thru the zone.:cool: :NY:

ChicagoYankeeFan
08-07-01, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Michaels07
All right handed hitters. Jones & Vento have good power numbers, but Jones still strikes out too much.Parrish needs more time but is improving steadily.I like a batting instructor who insists on getting the bat on the ball. It`s not how hard you swing at a pitch but how you make contact thru the zone.:cool: :NY:

I'm disappointed in Jones' dropping batting average over the past month, but tend to blame it on his adjusting to the longer seasons and needing to learn to pace himself over the whole season. However, his walk percentage has remained high and he's getting on base (this might also indicate that pitchers in the league have learned not to pitch to him due to his power.. )

I like it when players make consistent contact also, but tend to blame the scouts more than the coaches in the case of Brown. Unfortunately, the Yankees had a couple of years prior to last year where they took a lot of chances on players with high-upsides, but short track records of playing baseball. Brown was one of these players. I like the strategy of picking the best available athlete in some circumstances, but over time it hurt the Yankee's minor league depth somewhat.

In comparison the past two drafts have emphasized fairly accomplished hitters that were easier to evaluate for the scouts, but with perhaps less upside than a Brown might have had. Parrish, Jones and Grove from last year, Griffin, Duncan and Pitney from this year really exemplify a group of hitters that are very well prepared to succeed in the minors and have good chances at being major league level hitters (I think for Griffin it's an extremely good chance at hitting at a major league level)

When you add to that by picking solid HS players like Sardhinha and taking chances on injured players like Grove, you have a chance to get players with a high upside combined with more solid choices that can bolster depth in the minors.

Sorry I'm rambling, but in sum, I'm not yet ready to give up on Brown. He's definitely not where I would like him to be, but it he's healthy, and if he really does have the talent to hit, I think the coaches are fine for getting the best from him.

ChicagoYankeeFan
08-07-01, 04:20 PM
sorry, I almost forgot... two lefty hitters that have come through Tampa in recent years are John Rodriguez and Nick Johnson. Johnson has an extremely high talent level so the coaches might not have made much of a difference with him, but Rodriguez, IMHO, showed good improvement in Tampa.

staticm
08-08-01, 10:50 AM
rivera went 1-1 yesterday with a HR and 2 more walks.. thats 4 walks in 2 games...

Totals in columbus
28 games
99 AB
31 Hit
15 Runs
7 2b
0 3b
7 HR
18 RBI
5 BB
19 K
SLG% .595
OBP .355
AVG .313
OPS .950

he seems to be a very fast learner.. perhaps paulie will have a home-grown replacement.

Elfdood
08-09-01, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ChicagoYankeeFan
sorry, I almost forgot... two lefty hitters that have come through Tampa in recent years are John Rodriguez and Nick Johnson. Johnson has an extremely high talent level so the coaches might not have made much of a difference with him, but Rodriguez, IMHO, showed good improvement in Tampa. Actually, NJ skipped right from Greensboro to Norwich, with no stop at Tampa. He's just a patient hitter by nature.