PDA

View Full Version : Coach says Mariners were told of Josh Lueke's criminal past

Bleacher_Creature
09-14-10, 10:36 AM
The Mariners knew all about Josh Lueke's 96-mph fastball when they acquired him from the Texas Rangers in the Cliff Lee deal. But Mariners executives insisted they knew nothing before the July 9 trade about the 25-year-old minor leaguer facing felony charges in a rape and sodomy case in which he later pleaded no contest to a lesser charge.

However, new information appears to contradict the Mariners' original version of events. Former Mariners pitching coach Rick Adair said he told general manager Jack Zduriencik about Lueke's troubles well before the deal. And contrary to Mariners claims that there was nothing they could do after the trade, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said he made a standing offer that night to take Lueke back.

Police and court documents show Lueke lied multiple times to police investigating the suspected May 2008 sexual assault of an unconscious 22-year-old woman in a Bakersfield, Calif., apartment shared by the pitcher and his Class A teammates.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2012784518_lueke02.html

THEBOSS84
09-14-10, 10:38 AM
Hey Mariners, YOU SUCK!!!!

hahahahaha

hed
09-14-10, 11:16 AM
I live in Texas, huge Rangers fan. I really, really hope Lee resigns but I'm guessing someone else throws so much more money in his face that he won't be able to pass. If it isn't Rangers, it has to be Yankees. I hate every other AL team with a passion.

Mr. Mxylsplk
09-14-10, 11:19 AM
I hate every other AL team with a passion.
You should hear what they think of you.

b-ball-lunachick
09-14-10, 11:21 AM
I read something about this...

wasn't seattle on the other end of this when they traded Lowe to the REd Sox? I thought I remembered that the REd Sox didn't know about the domestic violence charge on his then girlfriend Trinka before that trade was done...am I remembering that right?

hed
09-14-10, 11:23 AM
You should hear what they think of you.

I wanted to get a good laugh out of this but I couldn't. It just wasn't creative enough.

DiMaggio5CF
09-14-10, 11:32 AM
I live in Texas, huge Rangers fan. I really, really hope Lee resigns but I'm guessing someone else throws so much more money in his face that he won't be able to pass. If it isn't Rangers, it has to be Yankees. I hate every other AL team with a passion.

Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing relevant at all to this thread.

DiMaggio5CF
09-14-10, 11:32 AM
Thanks for contributing absolutely nothing relevant at all to this thread.

You too, jackass.

I hate hypocrites.

YESSIR!
09-14-10, 03:59 PM
Ahhaha, Jack-Z. Remember when he was supposed to be some sort of general managing magician? More like the Wizard of Oz.

NyQuil
09-14-10, 10:55 PM
Due Diligence.

Its not going to do itself.

GordonGecko
09-14-10, 11:02 PM
...Mariners executives insisted they knew nothing before the July 9 trade about [Josh Lueke] facing felony charges in a rape and sodomy case in which he later pleaded no contest to a lesser charge.
Maybe he can close for the Mets

teknetic
09-14-10, 11:25 PM
KLaw:

The best of the remaining guys is right-hander Josh Lueke, a strong, physical reliever with a power arm (93-97 mph), a plus slider and an above-average split. Lueke was arrested and charged with raping an unconscious woman in Bakersfield, Calif., last year. He pleaded no contest to a lesser charge of false imprisonment with violence and was sentenced to 40 days in prison, but was freed after the plea bargain for time already served.

This was a few minutes after the trade went down. How do you try and claim you weren't aware of his raper status? douches.

Blazer
09-15-10, 11:26 AM
Jack Z seems to be devoid of integrity.

ArodEra
09-15-10, 11:59 AM
After that Lee episode, I wish nothing but bad things and karma for the Mariners.

Casey at the Bat
09-15-10, 10:21 PM
You too, jackass.

I hate hypocrites.

I laughed.

JohnnyEllis
09-17-10, 05:30 PM
And the centerpiece of the deal, Justin Smoak, was sent back to AAA after hitting .159 with the big club. His K rate there is higher than it has ever been in the minors.

Looking good, Jack.

Ninja0980
09-19-10, 12:59 AM
Should be noted that one of the triple AAA players in the Tampa Bay farm system will be facing his own trial soon on vehicular manslaughter charges, yet he's still there pitching away.

Norge
09-19-10, 01:05 AM

:wtf:

awy
09-20-10, 07:45 PM
lol mariners

Compass Rosy
09-20-10, 10:20 PM
Some more discussion here (http://www.marinercentral.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5053) for those who are interested in more than one side of the story (unlike Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times)

Blazer
09-22-10, 09:59 AM
Some more discussion here (http://www.marinercentral.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5053) for those who are interested in more than one side of the story (unlike Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times)

Mariner fans always blindly support their leadership. The same was true even with Bavasi until the 2008 season.

edit: I noticed the one guy who was adamant in his dislike of the deal was banned.

Compass Rosy
09-22-10, 02:20 PM
Mariner fans always blindly support their leadership. The same was true even with Bavasi until the 2008 season.

edit: I noticed the one guy who was adamant in his dislike of the deal was banned.
Apparently, you hang out with different M's fans than I do ;)
I think fans of all organizations have executives they like and those they dislike. Overall, I think most M's fans like GM Jack Z (or are at least willing to give him a chance to right this ship). As for Chuck (pres) and Howard (CEO) ... not so much. It seems more are of the mind that Lueke should be given a second chance, let's see what he can do, on and off the field (in effect siding with "Z" and not Chuck and Howard).

Regarding the poster who was banned (and, believe me, there's a long story there) ... it's pretty ironic that he hates Chuck and Howard with a passion and yet is in effect agreeing with them in his dislike of the deal.

As I mentioned in the other forum ...
"...he seems to have done what he was told, abided by his end of the deal, etc. and not gotten into any further trouble. Here's hoping if he is guilty, he has turned himself around and become a better person and if he's not guilty that he can move forward and gain strength in spite of it all. In either case, the M's have him now - let's see what he can do as a pitcher and how he can grow as a man."

I for one am anxious to see the young man pitch. If he didn't have pretty extraordiary talent, none of this conversation/debate would even be happening.

Blazer
09-22-10, 05:17 PM
I think fans of all organizations have executives they like and those they dislike. Overall, I think most M's fans like GM Jack Z (or are at least willing to give him a chance to right this ship). As for Chuck (pres) and Howard (CEO) ... not so much.

Fans backed Bavasi with equal passion. At the time of the deal that sent Choo to Cleveland, Churchill of ProspectInsider.com called the newly acquired Ben Broussard "the best Mariner left handed power hitter since Ken Griffey, Jr." That didn't turn out too well did it.

I think almost all Mariner fans dislike the terrible twosome and follow their GM, regardless of who he is, to the bitter end.

Compass Rosy
09-22-10, 07:13 PM
Fans backed Bavasi with equal passion. At the time of the deal that sent Choo to Cleveland, Churchill of ProspectInsider.com called the newly acquired Ben Broussard "the best Mariner left handed power hitter since Ken Griffey, Jr." That didn't turn out too well did it.

I think almost all Mariner fans dislike the terrible twosome and follow their GM, regardless of who he is, to the bitter end.

Again, you hang with different M's fans than me (Churchill hardly speaks for us all ;-)

Sure, there was a buzz early on in BB's tenure when he made the big splash with Richie Sexson and Adrian Beltre that first off-season. Obviously, that fizzled out pretty quickly. And then, more doubt crept in when he chose Jeff Clement with the third pick overall in the 2005 draft.

As for the Choo deal, I remember PLENTY of fans who followed the minors closely hating it when it happened - especially since one month prior to that, BB had already traded another "farm favorite" Asdrubal Cabrera for another DH, Perez. But it was even earlier, the June 2006 draft, that BB fell out of favor with a HUGE portion of fans - when he selected Brandon Morrow over hometown phenom, Tim Lincecum - that was the last straw for many. For others it was his trade of Rafael Soriano for Horacio Ramirez.

Some thought he had a chance to redeem himself with the Bedard trade in 2008 (although MANY were against it ... not wanting to part with Jones and Tillman) but, we know how that turned out....

To be fair, it's been speculated not everything transpired under Bavasi was all his fault, in that he didn't really have free reign and those above him were dictating alot of the decision and overall direction (i.e., don't rebuild - retool).

We can only hope that they (the Pres. and CEO) have learned from their mistakes and will let Jack do his job...
replenish the farm system and rebuild the big club in a reasonable amount of time (2-3 more years) in such a way that the entire organization can sustain itself both financially and from a player development perspective in order to be competitive year-in and year-out to reach the ultimate goal of a championship.