PDA

View Full Version : What Percent Of Hall of Fame Voters Will Vote For Johnny Damon In His First Year?

EvanJ
09-08-10, 08:22 PM
I don't expect him to make the Hall of Fame, but I'm wondering what percent of Hall of Fame voters you think will vote for Johnny Damon the first year he is eligible?

HelloNewman
09-08-10, 08:37 PM
14.285%

JDPNYY
09-08-10, 08:53 PM
14.285%

I calculated it slightly closer to 14.4%

roblyo33
09-08-10, 08:54 PM
Pie...3.14

b-ball-lunachick
09-08-10, 09:06 PM
1.6 !!!

montyque
09-08-10, 09:13 PM
You guys are all way off... I don't think he will, or should, make it, but he's gonna be much higher than you're saying. He'll probably retire with at least 2700 hits, and something tells me he'll be around 20% for years to come.

Yankee Fan in Boston
09-08-10, 09:15 PM
You guys are all way off... I don't think he will, or should, make it, but he's gonna be much higher than you're saying. He'll probably retire with at least 2700 hits, and something tells me he'll be around 20% for years to come.

Only if he somehow stays around and manages to get 3000 hits. Otherwise, the guy has never even been a top 12 MVP candidate, and has been an All-Star twice. Not exactly HOF caliber

b-ball-lunachick
09-08-10, 09:23 PM
Only if he somehow stays around and manages to get 3000 hits. Otherwise, the guy has never even been a top 12 MVP candidate, and has been an All-Star twice. Not exactly HOF caliber
if he got to 3,000 hits, isn't that one of those givens, sort of?

I wonder if someone like a Gardner-type started his career very early and had 3,000 bunt hits if he'd get in the HOF. :D

Yankee Fan in Boston
09-08-10, 09:28 PM
if he got to 3,000 hits, isn't that one of those givens, sort of?

I wonder if someone like a Gardner-type started his career very early and had 3,000 bunt hits if he'd get in the HOF. :D

He'd need at least 3 more seasons of playing pretty regularly to hit 3,000, and he's got an OPS+ this year of 102 at age 37 and really shouldn't be allowed to wear a glove anymore. I think the challenge could be getting to 3,000

b-ball-lunachick
09-08-10, 09:33 PM
He'd need at least 3 more seasons of playing pretty regularly to hit 3,000, and he's got an OPS+ this year of 102 at age 37 and really shouldn't be allowed to wear a glove anymore. I think the challenge could be getting to 3,000
oh i'm with you..that's why I said 1.6%..just wondering if he did get to it, but was never really dominant, would they feel compelled to do so...I don't think he's worthy even if he does get there somehow...

HelloNewman
09-08-10, 10:11 PM
I calculated it slightly closer to 14.4%You obviously aren't properly accounting for wind velocity.

kan_t
09-09-10, 01:07 AM
If he gets 3000 hits, I say 40-50%.

delv
09-09-10, 07:20 AM
I won't be voting for him

Mark19
09-09-10, 07:22 AM
2,800 hits, 250 HRs, 400 SBs, middling to below-average outfield defense --- sounds like the Hall of the Very Good to me

Hitman23
09-09-10, 07:25 AM
I bet 1 dollar.

BronxYanks45
09-09-10, 12:47 PM
if he gets 3k hits, he gets in on 2nd ballot. the question is how long does he play inorder to get that.

Wouldnt be surprised if the Angels dont re-sign Matsui they take a stab at Damon for DH, and ofcourse with Boras as his agent he'll force the Angels to take a 2 year deal.

So in summary I think he will play until he gets 3k, he's only 450 away

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/damonjo01.shtml

Yankee Fan in Boston
09-09-10, 12:50 PM
if he gets 3k hits, he gets in on 2nd ballot. the question is how long does he play inorder to get that.

Wouldnt be surprised if the Angels dont re-sign Matsui they take a stab at Damon for DH, and ofcourse with Boras as his agent he'll force the Angels to take a 2 year deal.

So in summary I think he will play until he gets 3k, he's only 450 away

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/damonjo01.shtml

That's 3 years of full-time play for Damon at this point though. He isn't having a great year, and is 37. He might have a hard time getting on the field enough to reach 3K.

Oh, and given how successful Boras was this year in getting Damon a multi-year contract, how likely is it he will get him one next offseason?

BronxYanks45
09-09-10, 12:59 PM
brings up another good question, if he gets 3,000 hits assuming its with another team (so lets say DET lets him go, and he signs with LAA or TB)

what team does he go in with:

1. Red Sox
2. Yankees
3. Team he gets 3,000th hit with

Hitman23
09-09-10, 02:33 PM
No way as a Yankee. But otherwise it's a good question.

kan_t
09-09-10, 02:51 PM
Why? He played 6 years as a Royal, 4 years as a Red Sox and 4 years as a Yankee.

Royals: 3057 AB, 100 OPS+, 156 SB
Red Sox: 2476 AB, 108 OPS+, 98 SB, WS ring
Yankees: 2231 AB, 114 OPS+, 93 SB, WS ring

Yankeeah
09-09-10, 03:56 PM

He is clearly in love with the Yankees. When he signed with Detroit, he hinted at a possible mid season trade to them. If he goes in at all, I would say the Yankees would be his first choice.

Hitman23
09-09-10, 08:11 PM
Well when I posted that I had no idea the 3 teams were so similar in time spent. But I still don't think spending 4 years with a team should warrant you wearing that team's hat in the hall.

I suppose this is something I should start getting used to now since short spurts with a team is the norm and more players going in are going to be part of many teams.

Now that I think about it, Sox would make more sense. Being a part of the team that won the WS for the first time in forever. I think it may be a more monumental time in his career then any of the years he spent here.

JDPNYY
09-09-10, 08:14 PM
I think we're all forgetting the absolute gun the guy has for an arm. With all the OF assists he's accumulated, that could be enough right there to get him in the Hall.

Hitman23
09-10-10, 09:30 AM
He is clearly in love with the Yankees. When he signed with Detroit, he hinted at a possible mid season trade to them. If he goes in at all, I would say the Yankees would be his first choice.Don't I recall a time when he had some derogatory things to say? When he signed with Detroit didn;t he go out of his way saying it was where he always wanted to be or something? I never got the impression he loved the Yankees. But then again I haven't paid much attention to Damon's comments this year after he signed there.

Yankeeah
09-10-10, 05:58 PM
Don't I recall a time when he had some derogatory things to say? When he signed with Detroit didn;t he go out of his way saying it was where he always wanted to be or something? I never got the impression he loved the Yankees. But then again I haven't paid much attention to Damon's comments this year after he signed there.

Damon said he keeps in touch with CC Sabathia (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=4553) and Alex Rodriguez (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?playerId=3115) on a regular basis. He also has kept up with how the Yankees are doing in the American League East standings......."They know how to run the organization," said Damon, who spent four seasons in New York. "They take great care of you -- from the buses, to the hotel, to the security. They do a great job."
When asked what's the worst part about being a Yankee, Damon didn't say anything about the media scrutiny in the Big Apple. Even more surprisingly, Damon didn't point to overly high expectations....."I can't think of what was the worst thing. I have so much respect for the way they handled themselves."

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/columns/story?columnist=parker_robert&id=5175300

The fact that he didn't go to the Red Sox speaks volumes about his feelings towards them. Maybe time will heal the wounds, but IF he gets in, I think it will be as a Yankee.

ace
09-11-10, 08:49 AM
Maybe he'd go in as an Athletic.

http://a.espncdn.com/media/mlb/2001/0806/photo/a_damon_i.jpg