Albert Pujols
.319 BA (3rd)
32 HRs (1st)
92 RBIs (1st)

Joey Votto
.326 BA (1st)
31 HRs (T-2nd)
90 RBIs (2nd)

Has there ever been a tighter race this late in a season where TWO potential players can win the Triple Crown in one league? In the American League we have Miguel Cabrera who's second in BA, second in home runs, and first in RBIs. But look at how close Votto and Pujols are, and we might be seeing our first Triple Crown winner in a looong time.

Norge
08-26-10, 02:26 PM
I'm rooting for Votto, I think. It would be pretty amazing if there was finally a triple crown winner.

kan_t
08-26-10, 02:26 PM
Right now Pujols' RBI number is 92.

TheGameEpisode2
08-26-10, 02:28 PM
Whoops, yeah 92, but he still leads the NL.

Votto winning would be amazing...especially for my Fantasy Team.

bigjf
08-26-10, 02:29 PM
Geez, does Pujols need a Triple Crown on his resume too...

Mr. Mxylsplk
08-26-10, 03:56 PM
Don't sleep on Omar Infante's batting average. He's so far ahead of these guys, that if he stays this hot, he could win even without the minimum number of plate appearances.

BronxYanks45
08-27-10, 09:54 AM
I bet neither gets it, havent had one in 40+ years

Bob420
08-27-10, 10:16 AM
If Infante plays every game the rest of the way, he will have about 450 PA. I believe he will need about 500 or 3.1 x 162. At his current BA, he would take 0-50 and be hitting about .312.

effdamets
08-27-10, 10:25 AM
I bet neither gets it, havent had one in 40+ years
In the NL... none since 1937.
Ducky Medwick - Originally from Carteret NJ....

Mr. Mxylsplk
08-27-10, 10:55 AM
If Infante plays every game the rest of the way, he will have about 450 PA. I believe he will need about 500 or 3.1 x 162. At his current BA, he would take 0-50 and be hitting about .312.
If he starts the rest of the way, which he should other than an occasional day off, he should have well above that. In the past month he's averaged 4.6 pa a game - in 35 remaining games, that would get him all the way there. If he only averages 4, which seems pretty reasonable barring injury, that would get him to 487. At his current average, an 0-15 would leave him comfortably ahead of where those guys are now.

Obviously that's asking a lot - he's never put up anywhere near this type of average, so he's much less likely than either Pujols or Votto to keep up such a hot pace, even ignoring the pa minimum. And who knows, they could both raise their averages before the end of the season. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I think it's very unlikely he wins the batting title. But if he can squeeze out another great month (and he's been unbelievably hot since July), he's got a legitimate shot, even coming up short in plate appearances.

Bob420
08-27-10, 11:05 AM
If he starts the rest of the way, which he should other than an occasional day off, he should have well above that. In the past month he's averaged 4.6 pa a game - in 35 remaining games, that would get him all the way there. If he only averages 4, which seems pretty reasonable barring injury, that would get him to 487. At his current average, an 0-15 would leave him comfortably ahead of where those guys are now.

Obviously that's asking a lot - he's never put up anywhere near this type of average, so he's much less likely than either Pujols or Votto to keep up such a hot pace, even ignoring the pa minimum. And who knows, they could both raise their averages before the end of the season. I'm not saying it's going to happen, I think it's very unlikely he wins the batting title. But if he can squeeze out another great month (and he's been unbelievably hot since July), he's got a legitimate shot, even coming up short in plate appearances.

Probably correct. He has had way more AB/PA in Aug than in previous months. I avg'd out. If he continues at this pace, he should get pretty close without having to take an 0fer and if he does it will be small.

Mr. Mxylsplk
08-27-10, 11:20 AM
Probably correct. He has had way more AB/PA in Aug than in previous months. I avg'd out. If he continues at this pace, he should get pretty close without having to take an 0fer and if he does it will be small.
If nothing else, it'd be cool if he gets close, so it's some kind of crazy 3-way race, with the two of them duking it out in 3 categories, while he's trying to not only keep hitting, but keep racking up plate appearances.

BillBuckner
08-28-10, 09:21 AM
The fact that Votto almost didn't even make the All Star Game just shows how big of a joke that event has become.

JDPNYY
08-28-10, 11:09 AM
I'm rooting for Albert. He is approaching 40. Not many more opportunities.

armstrong
09-03-10, 11:39 AM
Incredibly, it's actually a three-way race.

Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
.332 HR 31 RBI 93

Mark19
09-03-10, 11:44 AM
Rooting for Votto, all of the production, none of the ego

armstrong
09-03-10, 11:49 AM
Not to mention the huge home/road split of Gonzalez who benefits from the easy-hitting Coors park.

corsari42
09-03-10, 12:15 PM
Not to mention the huge home/road split of Gonzalez who benefits from the easy-hitting Coors park.
Huge is quite the understatement, here are his splits:

Home: .391/.436/.790/1.226 with 24 homers
Away: .275/.296/.437/.733 with 7 homers

Also look at the BB/K splits:
Home: 21 walks, 40 strikeouts
Away: 8 walks, 75 strikeouts
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="613"><tbody><tr><td class="textSm" nowrap="nowrap" align="center">
</td><td class="textSm" nowrap="nowrap" align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Jax Teller
09-03-10, 12:16 PM
Rooting for Votto, all of the production, none of the ego

I must have missed something. What has Pujols done to deserve this?

Dave Visbeck
09-03-10, 01:04 PM

Nothing.

Huktonfonix
09-03-10, 01:22 PM
Nothing.

He came off as quite the unsportsmanlike punk in his comments about Tom Glavine in '06

armstrong
09-03-10, 01:47 PM
Huge is quite the understatement, here are his splits:

Home: .391/.436/.790/1.226 with 24 homers
Away: .275/.296/.437/.733 with 7 homers

Also look at the BB/K splits:
Home: 21 walks, 40 strikeouts
Away: 8 walks, 75 strikeouts
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="613"><tbody><tr><td class="textSm" nowrap="nowrap" align="center">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

That's just ridiculous. He's better than a roided Bonds at home and barely an average MLB hitter on the road.

Blazer
09-03-10, 03:35 PM
He came off as quite the unsportsmanlike punk in his comments about Tom Glavine in '06

It was a playoff loss and "wasn't that good. He wasn't good at all." isn't all that damning. IMO It was more frustration over going 0-4 in a playoff loss than anything else.

Dave Visbeck
09-03-10, 04:29 PM

It was a playoff loss and "wasn't that good. He wasn't good at all." isn't all that damning. IMO It was more frustration over going 0-4 in a playoff loss than anything else.

Yeah, Huktonfonix ... true that he did insert his foot into his mouth after that first Championship Series game ... and La Russa wasn't too happy about it ... but he somewhat felt for him.

Pujos maybe with a little bit of sour grapes :upset: over the first-game Championship Series loss -- and somewhat upset over having had been struck-out by Glavine, in the first inning, the strikeout being for only the second time, overall, in Albert's career that Glavine had done that to him. (Pujos was career .450 against Glavine in regular season play, 9-for-20) Then, next time up, getting embarrassed over what happened to him after Glavine had walked him with one out -- then with Pujos' aggressive base running on a fly ball out by Encarnacion, which I guess Pujos had read to be a hit ... then finding himself being thrown out by center fielder Beltran when attempting to scramble back to first base ... :-hide-:... thus becoming the third out in that fourth inning. :o

La Russa said this about what Pujos said after the game:

"You get a guy who's a hot competitor as soon as it's over, he's not happy about losing," La Russa said. "So he makes a statement. It's not a good statement. Glavine deserves credit. Now it gets blown up like he's some sort of disrespectful pro."

La Russa had a simple solution.

"The answer is, that player does not talk," La Russa said. "And he'll never get embarrassed, right? And they'll complain, say, ‘Oh, he won't talk to the press.' Somebody takes the guy right after the competition. They're very vulnerable to saying something."

Asked whether Pujols should have known better than to demean Glavine, La Russa shouted at a pair of reporters.

"No," he said. "You guys should know better than to make a big issue out of it. This guy is a great pro. That's what the answer is. Use common sense."

Yankee Tripper
09-03-10, 05:24 PM
That's just ridiculous. He's better than a roided Bonds at home and barely an average MLB hitter on the road.my fantasy team LOVES his home starts :ga-ga:

But yeah the whole Coors effect kind of takes him out of the MVP discussion I think.

Mark19
09-03-10, 06:29 PM

Every player at the top of his game gets a bit full of himself. Pujols has every right to believe the hype that he is the greatest hitter of his generation. I prefer Votto because he is the up and coming player whose recent personal and professional struggles make him much easier to support.

Jax Teller
09-03-10, 06:31 PM
Every player at the top of his game gets a bit full of himself. Pujols has every right to believe the hype that he is the greatest hitter of his generation. I prefer Votto because he is the up and coming player whose recent personal and professional struggles make him much easier to support.

So basically you're assuming he's an ego maniac with nothing to back that up?

Mark19
09-03-10, 06:41 PM
So basically you're assuming he's an ego maniac with nothing to back that up?

Never claimed he was an ego-maniac, just claimed that as an established MVP, he is much more aware of his general awesomeness. His "Believe in Me" feature for SI was him anointing himself baseball's true hero of the steroid-era. It is a totally valid claim but it doesn't make him more likable than a younger, newer player who has overcome some serious personal demons to lead his team out of the postseason wilderness.

Also, Pujols being tight with Glenn Beck didn't really help his cause.

RYMASTER or Ryan_Yankees
09-03-10, 06:56 PM
I'm rooting for Votto, because I have an irrational, baseless dislike of Albert Pujols.

TheHugeUnit2
09-03-10, 07:15 PM
Carlos Gonzalez, Rockies
.332 HR 31 RBI 93
I remember he was with the DBacks and like willing to give my nut for him, I loved him a few years ago.

Mr.Muhozi
09-03-10, 07:20 PM
I really hope either Votto or CarGo get it, for some reason i don't like Pujols (maybe its the A-rod fanboy in me)

Norge
09-07-10, 10:13 PM
update the thread title... it's Pujols vs. Votto vs. CarGo

kan_t
09-08-10, 02:44 AM
update the thread title... it's Pujols vs. Votto vs. CarGo
I think now it's Gonzalez own race. I doubt Pujols and Votto can catch his BA.

Rocketman
09-08-10, 03:32 PM
I think now it's Gonzalez own race. I doubt Pujols and Votto can catch his BA.

It's insane that there are three hitters in the NL that are having seasons so similarly great.