PDA

View Full Version : PGA Tour Championship 2010

DRobertsonNYY
08-15-10, 07:24 PM
PGA is jokes. Just cost Dustin Johnson a chance in a playoff. what a ................ing joke.

ZYanksRule
08-15-10, 07:26 PM
I'm not a golf fan. I tuned into the last hole. What a disgrace this is. Bunker or not bunker, that's a disgraceful ruling. You have to let the player decide his own fate. What happened here is a sham.

ny
08-16-10, 09:52 AM
I'm not a golf fan. I tuned into the last hole. What a disgrace this is. Bunker or not bunker, that's a disgraceful ruling. You have to let the player decide his own fate. What happened here is a sham.

It's a unfortunate situation but it's certainly not a disgrace in any way because it's part of the rules of golf. The simple reasons you cannot ground your club in a hazard is because your not allowed to test the conditions as well as grounding can improve the lie. :gulp:

Whistling Straits is designed to mimic an old-style links course, with more bunkers than you can count – literally. Anytime the grounds crew trims the fescue, another emerges. The PGA of America decided back in 2004 that every bunker is a hazard, no matter how many fans tromp through it, and players were reminded of it this week with a notice in the locker room.

Johnson never read it.

Neither, though, did many other players.
"Honestly, I don't think anyone reads the sheets," playing partner Nick Watney said. "I mean, we've played in hundreds of tournaments, we get a sheet every week."

Yanks1976
08-16-10, 01:36 PM
Can someone explain grounding the club to me? I still haven't seen the clip of what he did...does the area even look like a trap?

ny
08-16-10, 02:13 PM
Can someone explain grounding the club to me? I still haven't seen the clip of what he did...does the area even look like a trap?

Rule 13-4 in the USGA's Rules of Golf: Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions include the follow definitions:

"Except as provided in the Rules, before making a stroke at a ball that is in a hazard (whether a bunker or a water hazard) or that, having been lifted from a hazard, may be dropped or placed in the hazard, the player must not:
a. Test the condition of the hazard or any similar hazard;

b. Touch the ground in the hazard or water in the water hazard with his hand or a club; or

c. Touch or move a loose impediment lying in or touching the hazard."

The PGA posted a memo in the locker room declaring all bunkers hazards. Stuart Appleby had a similar situation back in previous PGA although it did not cost him a shot a first. There is also a rules official assigned to his group that he could have asked but he was too busy joking with the gallery. I like dj but it's his fault he didn't follow the rules. You could also blame caddie for not bringing it to his attention but at the end of day it's up to the player to follow the rules.

26 and counting
08-16-10, 03:24 PM
You know that this is a crock because if Tiger or Phil were in the same situation, the PGA would not have given those guys a two-shot penalty.

ny
08-16-10, 03:41 PM
You know that this is a crock because if Tiger or Phil were in the same situation, the PGA would not have given those guys a two-shot penalty.

The PGA absolutely made the correct decision and would have made the same decision whether his last name was woods or johnson. The player made a mistake and was punished accordingly by the rules.

fredgmuggs
08-16-10, 04:02 PM
The PGA absolutely made the correct decision and would have made the same decision whether his last name was woods or johnson. The player made a mistake and was punished accordingly by the rules.
That's what I think, as well.

It's hard for me to believe Johnson didn't consider his ball was in a waste bunker. I guess his explanation was he didn't see a lip and thought it was just a worn out area from the spectators. And granted, I didn't see it live so I have the benefit of hindsight - my first reaction was why would he take a chance grounding his club there? There should have been some thoughts on his part that this was possibly a bunker.

MassNYYfan
08-16-10, 04:15 PM
I just can't believe they let spectators walk through bunkers that are in play all week. And even stand there in to bunker next to him while he's playing the shot.

Good luck seeing that ANYWHERE else.

ny
08-16-10, 05:21 PM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/nyyankees4/post-64294-0410500001281927036_thumb.jpg

Looks like a bunker to me but the big mistake as just pointed out was the pga letting spectators into bunkers in the first place. However all the players were informed of the local rule put in place by the pga and dustin admitted he did not even read the memo sheet the pga put out regarding this issue. He also did not consult the rules official who was assigned to his group. If anything the caddie should've said something as DJ obviously had a lot on his mind but the problem with DJ is he's also a very fast player and he just went over there and joked with the crowd and than hit his shot. The whole thing sucks but its entirely the players fault at the end of the day. He accepted the ruling with total class and you have to tip your hat to him for that. Back in the previous pga held here stuart appleby cost himself 200k with a similar penalty.

MassNYYfan
08-16-10, 05:35 PM
That's the other thing. They've now held 2 PGA Championships at Whistling Straights and there's been bunker controversy both times.

I love the course as a major tournament venue but ................ like this just shouldn't happen.