PDA

View Full Version : Jeteriguez

scoper
07-26-10, 09:37 AM
Just once, I'd like to see Derek drop his guard and goof with an interview.

"Derek, that line-drive double was the hardest ball you've hit in weeks!"

"Yeah, I can't let Alex have all the fun!"

I can dream, can't I?

Norge
07-26-10, 09:39 AM
:clap:

Bozidar
07-26-10, 09:50 AM
I dont get it...

nnysiny
07-26-10, 10:02 AM
i was waiting for something like "LOLOLOL!!!"

flymick24
07-26-10, 10:32 AM
http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/awesome13.jpg

BronxYanks45
07-26-10, 11:44 AM
I think the quote came already, I'm paraphrasing but they asked Jeter about ARod's 600 HR (I think this happened 7/24/10)

Reporter: "With everything thats happened to Alex in the last year and his 500th HR, is he in a different place?"

Jeter: "Yea, he's across the street"

awy
07-26-10, 01:51 PM
wat

wat

sweet_lou_14
07-26-10, 03:11 PM
http://media.skateboard.com.au/forum/images/awesome13.jpg

Can't stop laughing.

The Q Bomb
07-26-10, 10:16 PM
I know what you mean - I would love Jeter to show some more humor in interviews. Frankly, they all could. All these guys, with few exceptions like Swisher and our old friend Mussina, just describe game situations when asked any question. They very rarely respond to the question asked, and so often there are real opportunities for levity or gentle sarcasm (because we all kow that the media could never handle pure sarcasm). Alex sort of went there yesterday when he said something like he was channeling Reggie Jackson on his last at-bat.

Jeter's "across the street" remark was pretty funny though - in his typically dry way.

scoper
07-27-10, 02:37 PM
Get a pen.... it's time to learn your cliches -- you have to memorize them, you have to know them. They're your friends.
--- Crash Davis to Nuke LaLoosh in "Bull Durham"

We've heard all the cliches all year long from guys who don't have an original thought in their body (Joba, A.J., etc)

I long for an intelligent, unscripted, possibly even clever remark from somebody. Swish is usually good about that (except for the intelligent part).

For the same reason, IF Mussina gets voted into the HOF I'm definitely going to his induction ceremony.

LazyEyeLou
07-27-10, 02:42 PM
AJ did do that one banjo press conference, though.

Sixty one
07-27-10, 02:54 PM
Jeter has always given what I call "vanilla" interviews. He NEVER says anything remotely controversial and if you notice his body language he is either coughing or partially covering his face at some point in the interview. I don't think he will ever give any substance to his interviews until he retires.

ThePinStripes
07-27-10, 03:35 PM
I know what you mean - I would love Jeter to show some more humor in interviews. Frankly, they all could. All these guys, with few exceptions like Swisher and our old friend Mussina, just describe game situations when asked any question. They very rarely respond to the question asked, and so often there are real opportunities for levity or gentle sarcasm (because we all kow that the media could never handle pure sarcasm). Alex sort of went there yesterday when he said something like he was channeling Reggie Jackson on his last at-bat.

Jeter's "across the street" remark was pretty funny though - in his typically dry way.

Very Mussina like

Hitman23
07-27-10, 03:41 PM
Well stupid questions get stupid answers. And reporters ask stupid questions. And why bother even giving real answers when all the press and fans will do is jump on you if you use the wrong word or say something that could possible be take out of context. Once it's spoken, wildfire. I don't blame Jeter or anyone.

LazyEyeLou
07-27-10, 06:08 PM
Agreed with above post. The hyper-scrutiny of today's media has two main effects.

1) Smart players (and probably the most interesting ones) say nothing, give boring interviews, and present boring fronts to the press. They know they have everything to lose by opening their mouths.

2) Dumb players with eccentric personalities become addicted to the constant buzz and mini-fame cycles created by the constant attention, and seek the spotlight like an addict. They quickly become annoying and uninteresting.

So you have two extremes, and both are boring for the fan. Weird as this may sound, it would be better if the media were both more intelligent and more friendly with the players. Then you could have a journalist who someone like Jeter could respect and trust, and maybe he'd open up. Instead, you have 30 idiots with microphones clamoring for a racy headline, and all Jeter will feel for them is disdain.

OlgMvp
07-28-10, 04:13 AM
Just once, I'd like to see Derek drop his guard and goof with an interview.

"Derek, that line-drive double was the hardest ball you've hit in weeks!"

"Yeah, I can't let Alex have all the fun!"

I can dream, can't I?

Jeter's very vanilla with the media but let's face it...you are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

He doesn't make (bad) headlines, he doesn't say anything stupid. He doesn't say anything that he thinks is funny because it may be interpreted the wrong way. For me, as a Yankee fan...I love this. He's absolutely the king of the cliche and that's fine by me. You can do a lot more harm by throwing yourself out there. Swisher is out there but that's his personal nature...you can't ask Jeter to be a Swisher, if he did it would come across as fake and bring on more haters. He's exactly what I'd want to have if I built a franchise player (from a media and personality standpoint). He's well spoken and elegant and never puts his foot in his mouth. I know he's not letting you in but that's smart. No bulletin board material, no stupid articles about how cocky he might be...we can't have it both ways...it's an extreme rarity.

JL25and3
07-28-10, 04:48 AM
And why bother even giving real answers when all the press and fans will do is jump on you if you use the wrong word or say something that could possible be take out of context. Once it's spoken, wildfire.That's not just the press. We do the same thing to you all the time. :P

JavyVazquezIsSick
07-28-10, 04:56 AM
I'd like to be a part of that turkey sandwich.

ArodEra
07-28-10, 06:43 AM
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w241/fafafooey69/My%20gifs/bus.gif