PDA

View Full Version : MLB begins testing for HGH in minor leagues

4bronxbombers
07-23-10, 10:44 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-baseball-hgh

What does everything think? I hope this isn't posted already.

The players association has long been against blood testing.

“The union’s position on HGH testing remains unchanged,” union executive director Michael Weiner said. “When a test is available that is scientifically validated and can be administered safely and without interfering with the players’ ability to compete, it will be considered.

I don't get the union's position on this. How is a simple blood test interfering with the player's ability to compete? :wtf: :confused:

Hitman23
07-23-10, 10:56 AM
Either test for everything or test for nothing. So with the current precedent, I say it needs to be.

SLURPEE
07-23-10, 10:58 AM
Doubtful you see that many players fail this test. First off I don't think HGH is a PED. It's used to heal injuries. At least that's what it appears to me. The players that have been linked or caught, have had major injuries. I don't think anyone is using it as a performance enhancer. That's what roids are for. JMO.

nnysiny
07-23-10, 10:59 AM
great news

YankeePride1967
07-23-10, 11:05 AM
I think now we'll see HGH testing on the table for the next CBA negotiations.

flymick24
07-23-10, 11:08 AM
HGH is the easiest thing to test for.. just target all the players who wear cap sizes 7.5 and above

NerfBall55
07-23-10, 11:16 AM
HGH is the easiest thing to test for.. just target all the players who wear cap sizes 7.5 and above

Unfair. Youkilis wore that in tee ball.

mgpenguin
07-23-10, 11:18 AM
Doubtful you see that many players fail this test. First off I don't think HGH is a PED. It's used to heal injuries. At least that's what it appears to me. The players that have been linked or caught, have had major injuries. I don't think anyone is using it as a performance enhancer. That's what roids are for. JMO.
You don't think that the ability to resist injuries or recover more quickly from them is performance enhancing? Granted it may not be in the sense that most people see PED users as giant home run-hitting machines, but IMO if a player is less likely to be affected on a day-to-day basis by minor problems, or is able to get back on the field faster than others after a major injury, that would be the definition of performance enhancement.

Casey at the Bat
07-23-10, 11:48 AM

Haha,I wear 7.5 now. But in my defense, I think most of it is fat.

SalingerNY
07-23-10, 11:50 AM
I didn't think one could test for this. Did someone crack the code or what?

SLURPEE
07-23-10, 01:28 PM
You don't think that the ability to resist injuries or recover more quickly from them is performance enhancing? Granted it may not be in the sense that most people see PED users as giant home run-hitting machines, but IMO if a player is less likely to be affected on a day-to-day basis by minor problems, or is able to get back on the field faster than others after a major injury, that would be the definition of performance enhancement.That's what I think many fans/media see it as. It's been mentioned in the same breath as steroids. It's been talked about as if it it's steroids. I'm not an expert on this, but I think HGH use is overrated. It's not a steroid. But many talk as if it is.

As far as it being a performance enhancer, I don't think you need to be on a long cycle of it (like steroids) to be effective. So I don't think these players are taking it year round to heal/or keep themselves from injuries. Hence when they have an injury and are on the DL, they can take it. When injury is over, they get off of it.

I could be completely wrong with the HGH cycle thing but that's just my guess from what I hear.

Donnybaseball72
07-23-10, 01:40 PM
I didn't think one could test for this. Did someone crack the code or what?

If you mean a urine test then no it hasn't been developed yet. A blood test for HGH has been available for a few years and is used in the olympics and other ioc santioned events.

SalingerNY
07-23-10, 01:45 PM
If you mean a urine test then no it hasn't been developed yet. A blood test for HGH has been available for a few years and is used in the olympics and other ioc santioned events.

Got it - thanks.

fredgmuggs
07-23-10, 01:46 PM
I think now we'll see HGH testing on the table for the next CBA negotiations.
Easier said than done but I would welcome it if it came to pass.

awy
07-23-10, 01:54 PM
it doesn't mean anything to me. instead, i sure hope the players union use it as a bargaining chip effectively

Bronson'sCornrows
07-23-10, 02:01 PM

Steroids are also sometimes used to help heal injuries. HGH is quite often illegally used to gain a competitive edge, as it speeds up metabolism, encourages your body to burn fat quickly, and builds and maintains lean muscle very well. Steroids are more popular mostly because they are several factors more affordable than HGH. This, of course, would make absolutely no difference to the average major leaguer, who is easily making enough to afford HGH, stack his favorite steroids, and whatever masking agents he needs to hide his cycle.

Yankeeah
07-23-10, 02:16 PM
Hypothetical situation: A Major Leaguer is rehabbing in the minors. While he is there, they do tests. Does he get tested?

roblyo33
07-23-10, 02:20 PM
Hypothetical situation: A Major Leaguer is rehabbing in the minors. While he is there, they do tests. Does he get tested?

Short answer, no. If a player has a contract, he is exempt.

ace
07-23-10, 06:17 PM

Non-40 man roster players only

Blazer
07-23-10, 07:33 PM
IIRC, Gary Matthews, Jr. was outed for an HGH shipment during his final (and career) year in Texas.

bobby jr
07-23-10, 09:26 PM
Good news and hopefully a step towards HGH testing in the majors.

4bronxbombers
07-24-10, 08:03 AM
Haha,I wear 7.5 now. But in my defense, I think most of it is fat.

:lol:

MassNYYfan
07-24-10, 08:56 AM

I wear a 7 5/8 but they'd only need to glance at me to realize I've never taken HGH. :(

BronxYanks45
07-24-10, 12:52 PM
HGH testing is a good thing and should be instituted only problems for it in CBA is that they want it to be 100% accurate and avoid false positives

this proves MLB is serious about banning PEDs