PDA

View Full Version : Lou Piniella to retire after this season

nnysiny
07-20-10, 02:14 PM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38329856/ns/sports-baseball/

President Kennedy
07-20-10, 02:15 PM
That's a little depressing to me. I always wanted him to have one more run with the Yankees. Not meant to be, I guess.

fredgmuggs
07-20-10, 02:24 PM
That's a little depressing to me. I always wanted him to have one more run with the Yankees. Not meant to be, I guess.
I wonder if the Yankees will offer him some type of front office "not a lot of work but get him in the organization" position? George, I'm sure, would have offered him something like that.

BronxBaumer
07-20-10, 02:27 PM

:lol: Why am I totally unsurprised by your affinity for second chances and returns?

1970cs
07-20-10, 02:28 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/1599/possible-replacements-as-cubs-manager

This lists Girardi whose contract expires at the end of the season as a possible replacement for Pinella.

Jeter as Yankees player-manager with a strong bench coach who would handle the bulk of the media responsibilities?

allybear
07-20-10, 02:32 PM
I wonder if the Yankees will offer him some type of front office "not a lot of work but get him in the organization" position? George, I'm sure, would have offered him something like that.

Most definitely - if there was one thing that could always be said for George, he was loyal to his guys (and that was almost anyone who wore the uniform).

Tifoso
07-20-10, 02:35 PM

I dunno. He kind of shoots his mouth off a bit too much.

Yankeeah
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/cubs/post/_/id/1599/possible-replacements-as-cubs-manager

This lists Girardi whose contract expires at the end of the season as a possible replacement for Pinella.

Jeter as Yankees player-manager with a strong bench coach who would handle the bulk of the media responsibilities?

No...

RhodyYanksFan

Can anyone realisitically see a player/manager in this day and age? I doubt Girardi would leave the Yankees for the Cubs. The only draw would be that whoever is the guy to finally win a title in Wrigley will be immortal, but it's not like that team is anywhere close to being a contender. Plus the Yankees would/should match any offer the Cubbies make.

Eldee5
07-20-10, 02:36 PM
Lou may retire from managing but I can't see him being completely out of baseball. He's going to sign on somewhere, maybe not immediately but in a year or two. I certainly wouldn't mind having him be part of the Yankees' brain trust; he could even work out of the Tampa office so he'd be close to home.

OlgMvp
07-20-10, 02:37 PM
Can anyone realisitically see a player/manager in this day and age? I doubt Girardi would leave the Yankees for the Cubs. The only draw would be that whoever is the guy to finally win a title in Wrigley will be immortal, but it's not like that team is anywhere close to being a contender. Plus the Yankees would/should match any offer the Cubbies make.

Let alone a Yankee team with a player manager? Yikes...there's just no way.

BRNXBMRS
07-20-10, 03:48 PM

Mattingly would be the mgr before Jeter. Why would Jeter want another headache.

Yankees1962
07-20-10, 03:55 PM
Lou may retire from managing but I can't see him being completely out of baseball. He's going to sign on somewhere, maybe not immediately but in a year or two. I certainly wouldn't mind having him be part of the Yankees' brain trust; he could even work out of the Tampa office so he'd be close to home.
I would guest that he will be working for the Yankees in some capacity next season.

yankeebot
07-20-10, 03:57 PM
He probably should have done it sooner. I wish him well and I hope doesn't look back.

President Kennedy
07-20-10, 04:10 PM
He probably should have done it sooner. I wish him well and I hope doesn't look back.

Why do you say that? Think he got too old for this s(tuff)?

jlw1980
07-20-10, 05:28 PM
:lol: Why am I totally unsurprised by your affinity for second chances and returns?

:roflmao:

yankeebot
07-20-10, 05:45 PM
Why do you say that? Think he got too old for this s(tuff)?Not so much old but out of touch with how to get the most out of today's players. There was a time when he was a very good manager even though I never really cared for his antics. I think somewhere along the way the game changed and he didn't change with it. Just my opinion.

President Kennedy
07-20-10, 05:47 PM
Not so much old but out of touch with how to get the most out of today's players. There was a time when he was a very good manager even though I never really cared for his antics. I think somewhere along the way the game changed and he didn't change with it. Just my opinion.

I had similar reservations, actually, but I always thought it might have been cool to see him wear that uniform again.

Bambino22
07-20-10, 05:53 PM

If only Pete Rose could change his IRL user name; he'd be right back to managing.

yankeebot
07-20-10, 06:29 PM
I had similar reservations, actually, but I always thought it might have been cool to see him wear that uniform again.Eh. It might have been cool at one time but unfortunately his temper tantrums have grown tiring and gone well past their expiration point. That's just how life goes, you know?

KLJ
07-20-10, 06:52 PM
Mattingly would be the mgr ..

that would be way cool..

WashingtonYankee
07-20-10, 07:22 PM
As a Mariners/Cubies fan being my 2nd and 3rd team I'm sad!!!!!

VERY VERY VERY VERY SAD.....

JDPNYY
07-20-10, 07:38 PM
As a Mariners/Cubies fan being my 2nd and 3rd team I'm sad!!!!!

VERY VERY VERY VERY SAD.....

Grey skies are gonna clear up...

JL25and3
07-20-10, 08:22 PM

Jeter as Yankees player-manager with a strong bench coach who would handle the bulk of the media responsibilities?Jeter's post-game press conferences would make Girardi's look positively scintillating.

JDPNYY
07-20-10, 08:26 PM
Another loss to the Astros and he might retire Thursday.

fredgmuggs
07-20-10, 08:30 PM
Another loss to the Astros and he might retire Thursday.
the good news is he'll be available for the old timers game next season

yankeesfaninaz
07-20-10, 11:57 PM
good luck to Sweet Lou and whatever he is going to do next. This was a bad idea to go to the Cubs in the first place. Lou deserves better than the Cubs anyway.

Dave B
07-21-10, 12:45 AM
Damn. This means the Cubs might improve. Can't have that.

The man is obviously nearing senility. This move is long overdue.

BroadwayBomber55
07-21-10, 12:52 AM
I'll miss Lou Pinella's meltdowns and outbursts as manager. They're absolutely fun to watch.

DontHateOnNumber2
07-21-10, 01:26 AM
Hopefully he won't sign with another franchise. He's too much of a competitor to helm another mediocre club, though the Cubs looked like they may be talented when he signed. Bad luck and underperforming really screwed him. I'll watch my Lou Piniella Yankeeography in honor of the guy, and like someone mentioned, hopefully he'll be out rocking #14 next Old Timer's Day.

BronxYanks45
07-21-10, 10:53 AM
wonder if it was the losing seasons or Zambrano's melt downs

good luck lou

35Knucklecurve
07-21-10, 02:38 PM
I'll miss Lou Pinella's meltdowns and outbursts as manager. They're absolutely fun to watch.
They replayed some of his classics last night - including one rant in the dugout during spring training. They had to bleep out the "F" bomb so many times it sounded like he had the hiccups. Ripping the bases out of the ground and tossing them like a discus....drop kicking his hat, covering the ump's shoes with dirt.......the man had it down to a science. :lol:

So far, I've heard Tony La Russa and Joe Torre has possible replacements. I can see Torre leaving LA, especially if the reports are true that he and management don't get along. However, it's hard to believe La Russa would give up St. Louis for Chicago. :dunno:

cupcollector99
07-21-10, 09:35 PM
I was going to say that the only time I want to see Lou in Yankee stadium is for a "Lou Pinella Day" if that should happen and for Old Timers games. Other than that, I hope he enjoys his retirement, he's earned it.

ArodEra
07-21-10, 09:49 PM
I love Lou, but it seems like he lost his incredible passion for the game a while ago. I wish him the best.