PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Open Championship, St Andrews

b_joseph
07-15-10, 05:24 AM
At the moment, John Daly is -7 under thru 13 holes. Tiger is -1 on the 6th green.

No wind as of yet, but expected to pick up in due course.

b_joseph
07-15-10, 10:14 AM
Rory McILroy finished at -9...Daly @ -6 and Tiger struggled at the end to finish with a -5, 67.

b_joseph
07-16-10, 04:15 PM
Oosthuizen leading the way @ 12 under...followed by Calcavecchia @ 7 under.

Tiger is -3 thru 16 holes and Phil finished even.

Rory McIlroy followed up a 63 with an 80!!

Jin Jeong, an amateur is flying @ 6 under.

The weather for the afternoon group today was just awful. They had to suspend play at one stage because of the winds,

Nashwan
07-16-10, 04:34 PM
Oosthuizen leading the way @ 12 under...followed by Calcavecchia @ 7 under.

Tiger is -3 thru 16 holes and Phil finished even.

Rory McIlroy followed up a 63 with an 80!!

Jin Jeong, an amateur is flying @ 6 under.

The weather for the afternoon group today was just awful. They had to suspend play at one stage because of the winds,

The conditions yesterday and this morning were far too comfortable, hence the very low scoring. However, this afternoon was a complete about turn and I must admit that I didn't think that play should have been resumed after the suspension because conditions had not improved and the late starters were at a terrible disadvantage in that howling gale. (I'm all for a breeze at a links course - makes it more interesting - but this afternoon was a different matter.) The weather forecast for the weekend has it being "breezy" at St. Andrews so the conditions, hopefully, should be the same for everybody over the final two days.

I must admit that, although golf is not high on the list of my favourite sports, the BBC does a fine job with its broadcasting of the event. The television coverage has been starting at 9:00 a.m. and has been continuous through until 8:00 p.m. on the first two days. BUT, the best thing of all, with it being broadcast by the BBC: no commercial breaks! Makes finding the time to answer the call of nature a bit difficult at times, though!:eek:

b_joseph
07-16-10, 09:29 PM
They do an awful job of tracking the ball though. I was watching a BBC stream at one stage and their ability to track the ball in the air and on landing was terrible.

Nashwan
07-17-10, 04:14 AM
They do an awful job of tracking the ball though. I was watching a BBC stream at one stage and their ability to track the ball in the air and on landing was terrible.

Agreed, but the commentary team, particularly Peter Alliss, Wayne Grady and Sam Torrance, more than compensates for some shoddy camera work. (I am glad you found it difficult to follow the ball because I thought it was just my fading eyesight!!)

Looking forward to the next two days, although it's a bummer that today's coverage doesn't begin until 10:00 a.m.! Oh well, only another 45 minutes to wait. Better get done before the action starts.

b_joseph
07-17-10, 03:41 PM
Well, back to the drawing board for Tiger.

There was some great Golf today from a number of players. Garcia and Stenson were both flying at one stage but only Stnson followed it through.

Oosthuizen still leads the way..I thought he would falter but nope. -14 overall..3 ahead of Casey.

Nashwan
07-17-10, 03:55 PM
Oosthuizen still leads the way..I thought he would falter but nope. -14 overall..3 ahead of Casey.

Must admit I had the same feeling, and so far he's proved me wrong, but the "excitement" of the tomorrow's final round may, hopefully, prove too much for him! I really don't mind who ultimately wins but it would be nice to see a home player triumph.

b_joseph
07-17-10, 04:37 PM
Who was the last Englishman to win a Major? Surely cant be Faldo.

Nashwan
07-17-10, 05:05 PM
Who was the last Englishman to win a Major? Surely cant be Faldo.

I regret to say that that is indeed the case. 1992 or something like that.

As you said "Englishman", it ruined the case for Graeme McDowell's recent win in the States.

RhodyYanksFan
07-17-10, 11:01 PM
Must admit I had the same feeling, and so far he's proved me wrong, but the "excitement" of the tomorrow's final round may, hopefully, prove too much for him!

Kind of like Sunday at Pebble Beach this year?

Nashwan
07-18-10, 04:26 AM
Kind of like Sunday at Pebble Beach this year?

Something like that would do nicely, although I must confess that it was not pretty watching a golfer disintegrate like Dustin Johnson on that fateful Sunday at Pebble Beach.

Nashwan
07-18-10, 01:42 PM
Seems like the reverse to Pebble Beach: this time it was the pursuers who crapped the bed, making the winner look like the next Jack Nicklaus! Seriously, congratulations to the South African; not his fault that the rest of the field folded like deck chairs.

b_joseph
07-18-10, 02:12 PM
Thats Golf..one good week from someone who most havent heard about can lead to him winning the biggest event of his life.

Nashwan
07-18-10, 02:24 PM
Thats Golf..one good week from someone who most havent heard about can lead to him winning the biggest event of his life.

That's probably as good as it gets for the lad and I dare say he will now fade back into obscurity. Mind you, I could be persuaded to slope back into oblivion for the 850,000 winner's check!