PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee and All Star Game question

PuffNettles9
07-10-10, 04:44 PM
What would have happened if Lee was the lone ASG representative for the Mariners? Would they have to find a new Mariner to add on the club? Would Lee still represent the Mariners even though his new club was the Rangers? or would Bud just let that every club must be represented in the ASG rule slide?

I think this happened a few years ago but cant remember which All Star was dealt before the ASG

NYYDragoon
07-10-10, 04:45 PM
Wasn't all-star Carlos Beltran dealt right before the break? And he made an AL-to-NL switch.

EDIT: No, he was dealt on June 25th. For some reason I remember that being a big deal. Maybe voting ended before he was traded?

Yankeeah
07-10-10, 05:07 PM
I think it happened in the NHL with the Florida Panthers

GoJays
07-10-10, 06:43 PM
I think it happened in the NHL with the Florida Panthers

Correct. Sandis Ozolinsh was traded from Florida to San Jose after being named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team.

He played for the East in the ASG.

roblyo33
07-10-10, 08:39 PM
Correct. Sandis Ozolinsh was traded from Florida to San Jose after being named to the Eastern Conference All-Star team.

He played for the East in the ASG.

Wow........I now feel well informed.

blumj
07-11-10, 08:35 AM
What would have happened if Lee was the lone ASG representative for the Mariners? Would they have to find a new Mariner to add on the club? Would Lee still represent the Mariners even though his new club was the Rangers? or would Bud just let that every club must be represented in the ASG rule slide?

I think this happened a few years ago but cant remember which All Star was dealt before the ASG
I'm not positive about this, but I think I read somewhere that it's enough that a player from each team be selected, once that's been done, if he's traded or injured, they don't have to replace him with a player from the same team. Since Lee's been traded within the same league, he's still on the team and can play in the game, just as a Ranger instead of a Mariner.

Jersey Yankee
07-11-10, 09:40 AM

The question is moot, because since 2001, the M's = Ichiro Suzuki, who's always in the ASG. Therefore, Cliff Lee couldn't possibly be the lone Mariner in the ASG, and the M's would be completely nuts to trade Suzuki.

Peanut
07-11-10, 11:39 AM
Wasn't all-star Carlos Beltran dealt right before the break? And he made an AL-to-NL switch.

EDIT: No, he was dealt on June 25th. For some reason I remember that being a big deal. Maybe voting ended before he was traded?

I remembered some situation like that happening with a player, but couldn't recall who it was. You are right it was Beltran. He did win the vote that year. Had he been traded to another AL team he still would have gone to game as the starter repping his new team, but since he was traded to the NL he didn't go to the game.

As for the original question, I doubt Lee would rep the Mariners, he's no longer a Mariner so that would be odd to have him do that. I think blumj is right and that they wouldn't necessarily need to replace him with a Mariner, that one being named to the team is enough. T

blumj
07-12-10, 10:00 AM
I remembered some situation like that happening with a player, but couldn't recall who it was. You are right it was Beltran. He did win the vote that year. Had he been traded to another AL team he still would have gone to game as the starter repping his new team, but since he was traded to the NL he didn't go to the game.

As for the original question, I doubt Lee would rep the Mariners, he's no longer a Mariner so that would be odd to have him do that. I think blumj is right and that they wouldn't necessarily need to replace him with a Mariner, that one being named to the team is enough. T
Actually, I think Beltran did wind up playing in that ASG, but only because the NL chose to add him to their team later as an injury replacement. If no one had gotten hurt to open a spot for him, or they'd chosen someone else, he'd have been out of luck. What I don't remember is if Ken Harvey was already on the team before Beltran was traded, I couldn't find anything that said he was replacing Beltran as the Royal, so maybe the Royals just had 2 all stars selected from the beginning.

PuffNettles9
07-12-10, 02:20 PM
The question is moot, because since 2001, the M's = Ichiro Suzuki, who's always in the ASG. Therefore, Cliff Lee couldn't possibly be the lone Mariner in the ASG, and the M's would be completely nuts to trade Suzuki.

Dude doesnt matter specifically for Lee and the Mariners/Rangers situation, it can apply to anyone but in this case there was a face/team to this question....think outside the box...To clarify, Player X is on Team Y and is selected to represent League A in the ASG and is the only player from Team Y to be elected in that years ASG. Player X is now traded to Team Z in League A.

PinstripeDynasty
07-12-10, 03:54 PM
This happened with the Reds. I want to say about 6-7 years ago, and I don't remember the players involved. I also can't remember if it was an injury or a trade. But the NL substituted another Red to "take his place", even though I don't believe they were obligated to, but just to be nice.

Sorry I don't remember more information, but I'm pretty sure it was the Reds.

Yankee Tripper
07-12-10, 03:57 PM
What would have happened if Lee was the lone ASG representative for the Mariners? Would they have to find a new Mariner to add on the club?
No this is an execption if a player is traded after the as-team is announced then there is no rule that the sub has to be from that player's team. I'm pretty sure it has happened a few times where a team techincailly has no all-star.

Would Lee still represent the Mariners even though his new club was the Rangers?
Rangers

or would Bud just let that every club must be represented in the ASG rule slide?

again I think there is a post-naming of the team exception. it may also apply to injuries I'm not sure. for example had Choo been named for the Indians instaed of carmona I'm not sure they would have had to have an Indian as Choo would have still been considered an all-star.

I think so too, can't recall who it was though.