PDA

View Full Version : Girl's skull was fractured after a line drive at Dodgers Stadium

Yanks3
06-08-10, 01:33 PM
LOS ANGELES - A 3-year-old girl's skull was fractured after being hit by a line drive during batting practice at Dodger Stadium.

A Dodgers spokesman says the injury is not life-threatening and the girl is scheduled to be operated on Tuesday morning at Childrens Hospital Los Angeles.

The accident occurred around 5:30 p.m. PDT Monday when Dodgers catcher Russell Martin hit a line drive down the left field line.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/37574538/ns/sports-baseball/

Yankeeah
06-08-10, 01:38 PM
Somewhat surprised this doesn't happen more often in BP. People aren't paying attention.

Hope she is ok

Mark19
06-08-10, 01:39 PM
Yikes, good to hear she'll be ok

my ex-girlfriend got 3 stitches after being hit under the eye by a Homer Bush foul ball -- probably the hardest line drive of his brief career.

35Knucklecurve
06-08-10, 03:19 PM
Geez - she is very fortunate. It's scary enough when an adult gets struck. I can only imagine how upset Martin must be. Very nice of him to offer to pay for her medical bills.

snarkerella
06-08-10, 03:25 PM
Yikes :( Glad she's okay.

JDPNYY
06-08-10, 04:19 PM
Parents at games need to protect young children if they choose to bring them to games.

HelloNewman
06-08-10, 04:21 PM
Perhaps she had been drinking beer. I hear that's quite common for kids in Philadelphia.

jcarey
06-08-10, 05:39 PM
I remember a few years back when an errant puck actually killed a girl (Brittney Cecil?) at a hockey game. I know it's a rather freaky accident, but fans (or parents) really need to pay attention to what's going on during BP and the actual game.

4bronxbombers
06-08-10, 06:06 PM
I remember a few years back when an errant puck actually killed a girl (Brittney Cecil?) at a hockey game. I know it's a rather freaky accident, but fans (or parents) really need to pay attention to what's going on during BP and the actual game.

How horrible. :(

smr15
06-08-10, 06:22 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand how a parent will bring a young child anywhere near a MLB field. If you want to take your young child to a game, sit in the upper deck, where an errant ball isn't going to be life-threatening.

Honestly, those balls come at you so fast, even a quick ADULT is apt to be injured..... don't take a chance with your precious children.

Casey at the Bat
06-08-10, 09:27 PM
How horrible. :(

If I remember correctly, Brittney was there to celebrate her birthday too. The nets above the glass behind the goals were added after this incident.

Casey at the Bat
06-08-10, 09:33 PM
For the life of me, I can't understand how a parent will bring a young child anywhere near a MLB field. If you want to take your young child to a game, sit in the upper deck, where an errant ball isn't going to be life-threatening.

Honestly, those balls come at you so fast, even a quick ADULT is apt to be injured..... don't take a chance with your precious children.
It's not just MLB fields. About eight years ago, in our adult baseball league, some of the players wives were sitting in left field under a tree with a few of the kids. They were well beyond third base, at least halfway to the homerun fence, and someone scorched a line drive right at them. One of the wives was sitting with an infant, and saw the ball heading their direction and instinctively covered the baby with her own body (it wasn't even her child). The LD hit her in the face, and she had to be taken to ER, with a pretty big concussion. She couldn't go to work for well over a week because of headaches as a result of the hit. After that day, the wives sit behind the plate, no matter how hot it is. If it is too hot to sit in the stands, they stay home. It was a very scary thing to watch.

35Knucklecurve
06-09-10, 08:41 AM
If I remember correctly, Brittney was there to celebrate her birthday too. The nets above the glass behind the goals were added after this incident.
Yes, I think you're right. It was a birthday present. :(

MFLE
06-09-10, 08:42 AM
So scary. I took my 6 and 8-year old daughters to their first game a couple weekends back and we were behind the home plate netting. I wouldn't consider sitting them along the first or third base lines for this very reason...

BronxYanks45
06-09-10, 11:20 AM
very horrible, you'd think with all the netting they should have everyone covered