PDA

View Full Version : Is this TEAM a wild card runner OR..

Tommy1961
05-24-10, 12:10 PM
are we going to see some changes to make a run at the RAYS.

I think we are goin to play for the wild card this year and if we happen to win the divison the better.

I just don't see just passing Tampa with Russo,Winn,Thames & Miranda tking there turns in the outfield.

If this were the off season and we had this group in tow. We would be sunk and demending more but since we are like evey other team excepting to have a chance at the wild card. We are basically in the same boat nobody is real good right now on May 24.

So we just sit tight and hold on for the ride and hope we don't get are doors blown off.

But that is why the Yankees are the Yankees we don't let anyone pass us by in the standings, but now do let others catch up and provide some thrills.

Enjoy the ride

BRNXBMRS
05-24-10, 12:15 PM
Thats why there are 162 games.

DiMaggio5CF
05-24-10, 12:19 PM
I just don't see just passing Tampa with Russo,Winn,Thames & Miranda tking there turns in the outfield.

I have no idea what the hell you just said during that rambling mess, but regarding the above statement, then the answer is obviously no, if these guys are pushed into the lineup on a nightly basis, we won't beat out Tampa. That's why these injuries are so costly.

The bottom line is that if the Yankees stay healthy, they can play like they did early in the season, and they can beat out anyone in the league, including Tampa.

But if these injuries linger, or if more injuries pop up, and the guys you mentioned above -- the guys who aren't carrying the weight now, and the guys who weren't supposed to be asked to contribute on a nightly basis -- are forced into the everyday lineup, then it's going to be a struggle all year, and the Wild Card will likely be the only possibility.

But that goes for every team every year. That's nothing unique to this team or this year.

The key right now is just to push through and make sure that this injury-plagued stretch doesn't sink the ship and sabotage the run that they can make when they're healthy again. Fortunately, they're getting some help from the schedule and they'll play some teams during the next few weeks that they should be able to beat more often than not even with the B-team on the field.

BronxYanks45
05-24-10, 01:25 PM
oh ye of little faith.

We still play the Rays 13 more times, and have played Red Sox 8 times already and lead the series 5-3. Never underestimate the abilities of Brian Cashman. If he set a cap on how much this team could spend it was for a reason. Maybe he has some $$$ set aside for a trade etc...

Yes it does bother me that we are not in 1st place in the AL East but remember we werent at this time last year either. The past 2 weeks we played a bunch of competing teams that will definetly make a playoff run (Tigers, Twins, Red Sox, Rays, Mets) meanwhile the Rays are playing sub par teams like the Indians, A's, and Astros. That was a tough stretch for a healthy team let along for a wounded one like our current roster.

Look, on paper the 2010 Yankees should be Division champions again, problem is that players on the paper team are not the same players on the field everyday for the past 3 weeks.

P.S There is plenty of baseball to be played, players to come off and on the DL, and trades to be made. So I dont want to hear the word "Wildcard" til mid August

brosiusbuddy
05-24-10, 01:25 PM
When has any team ever settled on playing for the Wild Card, especially the Yankees?

It's May, we're 6 games out, Tampa is playing above their actual potential (most likely) and we're playing well below ours. We play Tampa 14 more times this year.

At full health, we took 2 of 3 from this team pretty handily including a 10-0 rout in which CC nearly tossed a no-hitter. And in the 2 game set where we were all banged up we still scored off their starting pitching and their bull pen.

The battle to win the AL East is likely going to go down to the wire. There is not a single member of the Yankees organization with their eyes on the Wild Card.

Tifoso
05-24-10, 01:31 PM
We win the Division, then etc and etc and etc

I repeat--the Rays are playing .750ish ball on the road.

Ain't gonna continue ;)

NYYDragoon
05-24-10, 01:33 PM
I think we should give up now and call it a season.

Yankees fans are so damn spoiled. "Oh noes we're not in first in May we're DOOOOOOOMED!!!" No, see, this is why it's called a division race. Sometimes there's competition and you have to actually work a little.

Maynerd
05-24-10, 02:00 PM
On July 19, 1978, the Yankees were 14 games behind the Red Sox. They weren't playing for the Wild Card then (of course, this would have been hard to do in 1978), and there's no reason on the planet why they should do so 6 games behind an absurdly over-playing Rays team.

Good grief.

NoWay
05-24-10, 02:11 PM
On July 19, 1978, the Yankees were 14 games behind the Red Sox. They weren't playing for the Wild Card then (of course, this would have been hard to do in 1978), and there's no reason on the planet why they should do so 6 games behind an absurdly over-playing Rays team.

Good grief.

the Rays won the pennant 2 years ago. They are young and have a tremendous amount of talent. .750 road winning percentage aside, why should we believe that they are "absurdly over-playing"? They're a great team. You don't really think that they're a 3rd or 4th place team, do you?

Maynerd
05-24-10, 02:17 PM
.750 road winning percentage aside, why should we believe that they are "absurdly over-playing"? I'm sorry. There's no way I can justify the expression "absurdly over-playing" if I set aside the fact that they're winning games they have no business winning.

Dude. Seriously. Voter results and electoral college aside, why should we believe Obama was elected in 2008? Regular season, playoff, and super bowl results aside, why should we think the Saints are any good? Why would you set aside the evidence when assessing whether someone is playing way over their head?
They're a great team. You don't really think that they're a 3rd or 4th place team, do you?I never said that. However, I also don't think they're a 110 win team.

Guess what? The Yankees are also a great team, and I don't think they're a 3rd or 4th place team, either. Last I checked, we had over 110 games still to play.

TheYankee
05-24-10, 02:18 PM
the Rays won the pennant 2 years ago. They are young and have a tremendous amount of talent. .750 road winning percentage aside, why should we believe that they are "absurdly over-playing"? They're a great team. You don't really think that they're a 3rd or 4th place team, do you?He didn't say that, now did he?

Yankee Tripper
05-24-10, 02:20 PM
5 games back in May and we are looking at the WC?
Talk to me in August about the WC.

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-24-10, 02:49 PM
LMAO. They have the second best record in baseball and tons of head to head games left against the team in front of them. They are injured and slumping right now, something that happens to every team.

So far 2010 is a dream season compared to this point last year. Do you remember being under .500? Losing a series to the Nationals at home? Losing a series to the Marlins? Being more than 5 games out of a playoff spot?

Well I do. And I also remember we won the world series that year. I also know that this team, once some guys come back from the DL is superior to last years team.

aeromac76
05-24-10, 03:10 PM
the Rays won the pennant 2 years ago. They are young and have a tremendous amount of talent. .750 road winning percentage aside, why should we believe that they are "absurdly over-playing"? They're a great team. You don't really think that they're a 3rd or 4th place team, do you?

Rays have the lowest opponent winning % in baseball to this point.
Yankees have 3rd highest.

Conclusion? Unless Selig allows them to play the Astros, Orioles, and Mariners the rest of the season, and we have to play Deroit, Minnesota and Bostone the rest of the season, then a major correction is coming..

Oh yeah, we are also banged up, and not hitting worth a damn, two things I expect to change.

Couple all those together and they better pray they get those 6 games up to 10 games real fast, or we'll disintegrate that lead by the time we start blowing off fireworks to celebrate our nation's independence.

JohnnyDamonfan
05-24-10, 03:21 PM
5 games back in May and we are looking at the WC?
Talk to me in August about the WC.

*Ahem* 6 games. We're not in trouble but we can't drop to 3rd place. I really don't want the Jays to be in second.

ThBigD
05-24-10, 08:53 PM
Yanks will be fine. They just need to weather the storm until Posada and Granderson come back. Notice I didn't mention Nick Johnson, cuz his injury history tells me it's gonna be a while 'til he's healthy.

The Rays really aren't overplaying IMO. This team is pretty legit with all the pieces they have. Offense, Pitching, defense, bullpen have all been good this year. AND, this is without BJ Upton or Carlos Pena hitting.

TheYankee
05-24-10, 09:02 PM
*Ahem* 6 games. We're not in trouble but we can't drop to 3rd place. I really don't want the Jays to be in second.
Oh I know! If we fall to 3rd in May we're doomed!

JDPNYY
05-24-10, 09:07 PM
I don't understand how it's possible that the Rays are losing tonight. I've heard they are very good.

YanksForLife
05-24-10, 09:14 PM
I don't understand how it's possible that the Rays are losing tonight. I've heard they are very good.

Well they certainly are not playing 1.000 ball like the Sox the last 3 days.

YankeePride1967
05-24-10, 09:40 PM
This is this year's "will Girardi be fired by Memorial Day" thread.

yarosh25
05-24-10, 09:41 PM
I can't even believe this thread exists. In May, with 26-18 record. Wild Card...WE TALKING ABOUT WILD CARD.... WILD CARD... to channel Jim Mora famous quote

ThePinStripes
05-24-10, 10:11 PM
Meh. The Rays are 1 key injury away from being a 3rd or 4th place team.

the_coach
05-24-10, 10:17 PM
I can't even believe this thread exists. In May, with 26-18 record. Wild Card...WE TALKING ABOUT WILD CARD.... WILD CARD... to channel Jim Mora famous quote

PLAYOFFS?...PLAYOFFS?...:P

JohnnyDamonfan
05-24-10, 11:22 PM
Oh I know! If we fall to 3rd in May we're doomed!

Did I say that?: Did I even say we were in trouble? I said I really didn't want the Yankees to be in third place. Please name me someone who "Wants" the Yankees to be in third aside from maybe Red Sox fans/Yankee haters.

2JAY
05-25-10, 12:23 AM
If the Yankees cannot get healthy, I do not think that they are even a playoff team.

DaBliz
05-25-10, 03:10 AM
We're obviously going in with the mindset of being champs again. I honestly don't care if it's through the Wild Card or winning the division. Try to win as many games during the regular season and then bust some skulls in the playoffs.

JohnnyDamonfan
05-25-10, 05:29 AM
If the Yankees cannot get healthy, I do not think that they are even a playoff team.

It is only May. Our team will get healthy. I don't know about you but if there has to be injuries I'd rather get these injuries done now rather then in July.

Nome
05-25-10, 06:22 AM
There is no way we can win with Mo finally becoming mediocre
:P :D ;)

Andy

R.V.47
05-25-10, 07:52 AM

Outside of Nick Johnson none of the injuries have been that serious.

CoyoteYankee
05-25-10, 02:37 PM
I actually love the "sky is falling" people. I have been frustrated (like I'm sure everyone else is) by the team's play lately, so actually explaining why the season is not over or that the Yankees don't have to play for a WC only from here on out lifts my spirits! :lol:

JDPNYY
05-25-10, 02:41 PM
Outside of Nick Johnson none of the injuries have been that serious.

They never should have invited Nick Johnson back to the team. He's always hurt and even when he's not hurt he just gets on base all the time and clogs up the base paths. Everyone on earth knew this except Brian Cashman and he should be fired and they should bring in a smart GM like Steve Phillips who would do clever things like trading Stephen Strasburg for Roy Oswalt.

bigjf
05-26-10, 09:33 PM
Don't look now but we're about to be 3 games back in the loss column. Doesn't exactly make me think wild card...