PDA

View Full Version : Who is our next everyday catcher?

montyque
05-18-10, 09:39 PM
I've been so stunned by Cervelli's situational hitting, energy and poise this season that I'm putting him on this list. I know there are lots of concerns over Montero's defense, and Romine is a couple of years away, so I thought this could be an interesting poll, although I'm sure it's been hashed out in various threads in the Around the Minors subforum.

I'm not voting, btw. I'm not attuned to the minors like most of you are, and I'm more interested in your answers.

Who's the next Posada/Munson/Berra/Dickey... or even Mike Stanley?

delv
05-18-10, 09:46 PM
177 PAs for Cervelli.

montyque
05-18-10, 09:52 PM
177 PAs for Cervelli.
Well he's not gonna keep hitting at this pace, I've just been impressed.

Also, that's 177 more PAs than the other two guys have.

KeithF40
05-19-10, 04:18 AM
read on espn under the top prospects that bc of defensive worries that montero projects as a 1b/dh. 1b is clogged up by tex, clogged in a good sense, and the dh role is most likely going to stay as a rotational position with arod and jeter getting up there in age(not accounting for posada here in any way)

i dont see how he can project as a 1b/dh with the yankees, maybe they trade him idk

also is this the first that anyone has heard of him not coming up as a catcher bc this is the first that i have heard?

JohnnyDamonfan
05-19-10, 06:35 AM
I think it might be Montero.

nnysiny
05-19-10, 07:51 AM
i really have no faith in Montero as a long-term catcher, and i dont see Cervelli being an everyday guy being a singles type of hitter. im going with Romine

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-19-10, 08:48 AM
read on espn under the top prospects that bc of defensive worries that montero projects as a 1b/dh. 1b is clogged up by tex, clogged in a good sense, and the dh role is most likely going to stay as a rotational position with arod and jeter getting up there in age(not accounting for posada here in any way)

i dont see how he can project as a 1b/dh with the yankees, maybe they trade him idk

also is this the first that anyone has heard of him not coming up as a catcher bc this is the first that i have heard?

This has been speculated since he was drafted. If he hits like he is projected to, they are not going to keep him out of the lineup so we can rotate some 40 year olds through there

NYYDragoon
05-19-10, 09:01 AM
Montero may be an everyday catcher, but he won't be the next one.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-19-10, 10:30 AM
Montero may be an everyday catcher, but he won't be the next one.

I think the better question is: who is our everyday C in 2012?

primetime714
05-19-10, 11:02 AM
I wonder if we even will have a "everyday catcher" with the depth coming up you have to imagine that guys are going to split time at the position and also spend time at DH especially when you consider the offensive and defensive gaps between some of these guys.

I said Montero, but I think with guys like Cervelli and Romine in the system he is going to see a fair share of time at DH. That said I think he is also going to play a pretty significant role at C as we're rarely going to take him out of the lineup and are going to need to use the DH position for some of our older guys.

I think this multiple part time catchers thing is going to start next year as Posada is basically done as an everyday catcher. He clearly can't hold up for more than 100 games back there. Cervelli has certainly earned some more playing time, but it depends on how things shake out with Montero and if the Yankees keep him down at AAA to start next year to keep him under team control longer.

BronxYanks45
05-19-10, 12:39 PM
hoping Montero doesnt turn out to be another Victor Martinez, I think long term its Montero or if we dont trade him. But I have no idea what we will do with Romine. Longer term its probably Gary Sanchez, why we would spend $3 mil on a prospect if hes not gonna be our long term guy.

btw Montero has been hitting .240 in AAA SWB this yr.

short term 2010-2011: Cervelli
middle term 2011-2013: Romine/Montero
long term 2014 +: Sanchez/Romine/Montero

PuffNettles9
05-19-10, 01:21 PM
Hopefully its...

http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Yankee%20Jerseys/th_DSC00049.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Yankee%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC00049.jpg)http://i886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Yankee%20Jerseys/th_DSC00051.jpg (http://s886.photobucket.com/albums/ac63/turn2mlb/Yankee%20Jerseys/?action=view&current=DSC00051.jpg)

Jax Teller
05-19-10, 01:46 PM
PN will use any excuse possible to post a picture of something he owns :lol:

How many Yankees game-worn jockstraps do you own?

PuffNettles9
05-19-10, 01:51 PM
PN will use any excuse possible to post a picture of something he owns :lol:

How many Yankees game-worn jockstraps do you own?

A Picture is worth a 1000 words

just 1....a gold one owned by giambi

btw welcome to NYYFANS Newbie

BaylorBearYankeeFan
05-19-10, 02:03 PM
The more I think about it the more I want a capable defender behind the plate. I think that Montero will have a spot on the team, I just question whether or not it is at catcher. It could be that Cervelli shows himself capable of everyday duty, but I think Romine has a little more power and a little better defense. Whomever it is, I think the Yankees are in good hands.

NYYDragoon
05-19-10, 02:13 PM
I think the better question is: who is our everyday C in 2012?It's not necessarily a better question as much as it is a totally different one.

groovitude
05-19-10, 02:28 PM
Posada has only made five more starts at catcher than Cervelli has so far this season. Additionally, Frankie's been the starting catcher of 10 of the last 14 games. He might be the current everyday catcher.

NYYRules#1
05-19-10, 03:09 PM
Montero, unless you'd consider a Cervelli/Posada C/DH split to mean Cervelli is an everyday catcher. I wouldn't though - Posada is still the starting catcher, but he's been dealing with a variety of odd injuries for a couple weeks that have sidelined him for days at a time, and we also have no DH right now, meaning Posada can get more ABs there (he's the most obvious DH we have on the team without Johnson here). Cervelli's been pushed into splitting considerable time at C with Posada due to injuries, much like Thames/Winn in the OF. I wouldn't consider him our everyday catcher for that reason.

But in general, I'm going with Montero. His defense has been reportedly improving, to the point where it's now just below average - think Posada or Piazza. His bat is more than enough to carry behind the dish with a level of defense similar to that. The Yankees obviously are doing everything within their power to try to keep him as a catcher and not tie up the DH role with a 21 year old next year (though if that's all he's capable of, I'd be more than willing to have him as a DH, but I'm with the Yanks in that I want them to do everything possible to try to bring him up as a C).

Cervelli will be his backup, and depending on the DH situation, might get a decent amount of starts at C if there's flexibility in the DH role to keep Montero's bat in the lineup. (That said, I hate rotating DH's since it means there's basically always a bench player out there somewhere, so I'm not really "rooting" for that DH flexibility.)

cyhughes22
05-19-10, 05:31 PM
A Picture is worth a 1000 words

just 1....a gold one owned by giambi

btw welcome to NYYFANS Newbie

Doesn't it tell you something though that he's only been here a month and already knows how much you like to take pics of things you own?:D

Jax Teller
05-19-10, 06:04 PM
I have been around a lot longer than a month *hint*

PuffNettles9
05-19-10, 07:13 PM
Doesn't it tell you something though that he's only been here a month and already knows how much you like to take pics of things you own?:D

Nah doesnt tell me nothing....He's prob been trolling and lurking on nyyfans since Feb 2004 ;)

BillBuckner
05-20-10, 12:53 PM
Cervelli until Romine is ready.

JSG
05-20-10, 05:05 PM
i went w cervelli but maybe he's a placeholder per BB if one of our studlier prospects pans out.

2PhonesMaccabee
05-20-10, 05:46 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it won't be Rene Rivera (http://thunderbaseball.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/exclusive-yankees-sign-c-rene-rivera/)

azzurribaggio
05-26-10, 03:51 AM
How about Joe Mauer......trade for a few prospects and some baseballs signed by Derek Jeter...