PDA

View Full Version : Nick Johnson to DL, Kevin Russo called up

DiMaggio5CF
05-08-10, 12:06 PM
According to LoHud:

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/05/07/postgame-notes-yankees-win-game-lose-two-players/

Now Johnson is heading to the DL with a sore right wrist, the same wrist that was injured in 2008 and cost him nearly the entire season. He said he felt it on a swing during his first at-bat. “I just didn’t get my strength back for the next pitch,” he said.

Nick Johnson on the DL. Who could have predicted this?

http://yankees.lhblogs.com/2010/05/08/russo-called-up/

Still waiting on a lineup, but Kevin Russo is here. He’ll add infield depth at least while Robinson Cano is banged up.

bobbymagee
05-08-10, 12:13 PM
Like Johnson, but his health has always been an issue. Paging Mr. Hideki Matsui!!.... Matsui !!!

:wtf:

JDPNYY
05-08-10, 12:18 PM
Like Johnson, but his health has always been an issue. Paging Mr. Hikedi Matsui!!.... Matsui !!!

:wtf:

Hikedi is having an awful year.

BobLoblaw
05-08-10, 03:21 PM
Hikedi is having an awful year.

He had a hot start and is now in one of his slumps where he grounds everything to the second baseman. We've seen this his whole time here and we know these slumps don't last. Its only May 8th.

JDPNYY
05-08-10, 03:54 PM
He had a hot start and is now in one of his slumps where he grounds everything to the second baseman. We've seen this his whole time here and we know these slumps don't last. Its only May 8th.

That's pretty much exactly my point.

It's only May 8th. A little early to say they should have kept Matsui and not picked up NJ.

Sixty one
05-09-10, 10:19 AM
The Yankees gambled with Johnson and right know it looks like a bad investment. Don't be surprised if they get another hitter before the trading deadline if Johnson is out a long time.;)

ZIM 2002
05-09-10, 11:19 AM
I sure wouldn't be surprised if Girardi's "several" weeks for Nick turn into "many". That's been his pattern - why would it change.

coachtsurfing
05-09-10, 05:50 PM
The Yankees gambled with Johnson and right know it looks like a bad investment. Don't be surprised if they get another hitter before the trading deadline if Johnson is out a long time.;)

another hitter and pitcher please. hughes looks like he could move to the fourth spot and we need a 5. i know it's early, but really javy looks like he's done.

Tifoso
05-09-10, 05:54 PM
another hitter and pitcher please. hughes looks like he could move to the fourth spot and we need a 5. i know it's early, but really javy looks like he's done.

I tend to agree. Phil is our #4. I hope that I'm wrong about Vazquez.

What really good ala Yanks hitters would be available this early, though?

Wait--sign Giambi :ga-ga: :D

BronxYanks45
05-09-10, 05:55 PM
hopefully several weeks is just 2-4 meaning 1 month on the DL. i'd imagine Russo either stays on or they call up Miranda

coachtsurfing
05-09-10, 06:03 PM
I tend to agree. Phil is our #4. I hope that I'm wrong about Vazquez.

What really good ala Yanks hitters would be available this early, though?

Wait--sign Giambi :ga-ga: :D

maybe we could pry oswalt and pence away from houston. they are tanking right now. agree though, not many hitters available right now.

Donnybaseball72
05-09-10, 08:36 PM

Can we at least try Mitre or Nova first before trading off more assets.

cyhughes22
05-09-10, 10:42 PM
Remember when everyone said, "Oh Nick is just unlucky he hasn't been hurt in a couple of seasons?" I said, "why would you want to sign an injury risk?" Then people had the nerve to tell me that Hideki was the same degree of injury risk as Nick Johnson. Wrong. How many games had he already sat out this season with soreness? I'm sorry but I start to call a guy's heart into question when a sore wrist lands him on the DL. That's kinda pathetic. Can you imagine a sore wrist putting Jeter or A-Rod on the DL because I sure can't. Cano gets drilled in the knee and doesn't miss a game but this guy can't suck it up and deal with his sore wrist? Not cool.

Yankee Fan in Boston
05-09-10, 11:44 PM
Remember when everyone said, "Oh Nick is just unlucky he hasn't been hurt in a couple of seasons?" I said, "why would you want to sign an injury risk?" Then people had the nerve to tell me that Hideki was the same degree of injury risk as Nick Johnson. Wrong. How many games had he already sat out this season with soreness? I'm sorry but I start to call a guy's heart into question when a sore wrist lands him on the DL. That's kinda pathetic. Can you imagine a sore wrist putting Jeter or A-Rod on the DL because I sure can't. Cano gets drilled in the knee and doesn't miss a game but this guy can't suck it up and deal with his sore wrist? Not cool.

It's an injury to a tendon in his wrist. It's not just sore. If he has no strength in his wrist, do you really want him as a DH?

As for Matsui, I wouldn't go counting him as a bet to make the whole season. The Yankees were absolutely right to be concerned about his knees (regardless of whatever you think about Johnson). Besides, do you realize that Matsui has an OPS of .700 right now and and OPS+ of 89? His OPS+ is actually worse than NJ at this point. If he were here people would be griping about how he was cooked rather than bemoaning his absence.

cyhughes22
05-10-10, 12:05 AM
Fine if he's truly injured then I take back my questions about his heart. I'll admit when I'm wrong and if he's actually legitimately got a problem with his tendon then I take back most of what I said regarding his heart. I'm not even talking about how awful he's been at the plate though. I'm not even concerned with his numbers. I'm talking about the fact that this is a guy who has had multiple days off this early in the year with a variety of different ailments, the likes of which (wrist injury excluded) should not keep you out of a game. I don't discount the concerns the team had about Matsui's knees. The problem I have is when I'm told that somehow the glass man that is Nick Johnson is a better bet to stay healthy. That's absolutely ridiculous to me and we see it now. That's like saying yeah Andy is really old and we should be worried about his elbow so let's replace him with Pavano. It makes no sense at all and we're getting burned for it. I'm not saying that I dislike Nick or think he's a bad guy. Believe me I wanted to be wrong about him but the guy is a walking DL stint and it's borderline retarded for a team that expects to win everything every year to sign and rely on a guy like that to play a significant role in the lineup when you have his track record with injuries in front of you.

flymick24
05-10-10, 12:09 AM
if i'm cashman, i'm keeping an eye on lance berkman

NewEraYanks2527
05-10-10, 07:27 AM
if i'm cashman, i'm keeping an eye on lance berkman Not a bad idea at all. I wonder what the price would be on him.

flymick24
05-10-10, 10:00 AM
depending on how much of the contract is eaten, we could be looking at another abreu situation

THEBOSS84
05-10-10, 10:04 AM
depending on how much of the contract is eaten, we could be looking at another abreu situation

I was thinking this last week - the issue is, he's playing like garbage so far.

EDIT: From Feb

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=6635026&postcount=282

flymick24
05-10-10, 10:15 AM
i'd be playing like garbage too if i was in that lineup and with that team

flymick24
05-10-10, 10:16 AM
I was thinking this last week - the issue is, he's playing like garbage so far.

EDIT: From Feb

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showpost.php?p=6635026&postcount=282

he has since changed his tone:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=2846

that's the only reason why i revisited the idea to begin with

THEBOSS84
05-10-10, 10:20 AM
I'm on board. It'll be a situation in which we give up a prospect and eat no money or give up no prospects and eat a lot of money.

flymick24
05-10-10, 10:24 AM
switch hitter with power who is guaranteed to spot you a .850 or above OPS, even in his advanced age... i'd eat all of the contract and send over kevin russo

THEBOSS84
05-10-10, 10:30 AM
switch hitter with power who is guaranteed to spot you a .850 or above OPS, even in his advanced age... i'd eat all of the contract and send over kevin russo

The problem is, he's literally their franchise player. I'm not sure how that'll make their 19 fans feel.

flymick24
05-10-10, 10:35 AM
well, when your star player comes forward and says that maybe it's for the best of the team that he move on, you can bet your balls that the feeling will eventually become mutual amongst the fans (besides, the real star of that team is hunter pence now anyhow)

the parallels between the abreu situation and now this are uncanny... abreu was the star player for the phillies for years, and then suddenly you get fresh new faces like utley and howard starting to establish themselves in the league, thus making the old guard that much more expendable when your team is playing like monkey chit

the astros aren't going anywhere for a while, and if they continue playing uninspired baseball by the deadline, i can definitely foresee a veteran firesale coming up

BronxYanks45
05-10-10, 12:58 PM
I think Miranda is gonna be the more long term solution for NJ's injury

Curmudgeon
05-10-10, 04:30 PM
Actually, Cervelli is the answer to Johnson's injury. Posada will DH. If Cervelli keeps hitting, we won't miss Johnson at all.

coachtsurfing
05-10-10, 04:56 PM
so what pitcher are we going to pick up??? Lance would be real nice. but i don't think they are going to give him up unless he forces their hand.

flymick24
05-10-10, 05:01 PM
what are you talking about? we don't need pitching right now, we need a real DH

coachtsurfing
05-10-10, 06:24 PM

what are you talking about??? Aceves is starting for us. You really feel ok with that???

Donnybaseball72
05-10-10, 06:28 PM

What's your definition of a real DH? Cashman and Girardi have already said they want to rotate the DH to rest regulars. Which is why 4 strong bench players are better than 1 consistant DH.

2PhonesMaccabee
05-10-10, 06:42 PM
:rockin::rockin::rockin:We need to get Choo:rockin::rockin::rockin:

primetime714
05-10-10, 08:32 PM
Actually, Cervelli is the answer to Johnson's injury. Posada will DH. If Cervelli keeps hitting, we won't miss Johnson at all.

Girardi already said this won't happen. For now it seems that Joe will use Pena and Russo to rest the regulars (i.e. floating DH). Thames will also see time at DH cause we certainly don't want him in the field.

Although it probably makes sense at some point to bring up Miranda who has a superior bat to Russo and let him and Thames basically platoon at DH.

JeffWeaverFan
05-10-10, 08:48 PM
what are you talking about??? Aceves is starting for us. You really feel ok with that???
Huh? Aceves is not starting for us. Mitre did, tonight, and will go right back to the pen. Our starting pitching is more than fine.

Rocketbooster
05-10-10, 09:14 PM
I think Miranda is gonna be the more long term solution for NJ's injury

He's apparently hurt...