PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Players Poll: A-Rod, Swisher, Joba 3 most overrated in Baseball.

R.V.47
05-07-10, 06:47 PM
Among other results, players favored eliminating the designated hitter by 55 to 45 percent; 87 percent said they would rather win a World Series than an MVP award, and Yankees were tipped as baseball's top three over-rated players -- Joba Chamberlain, Alex Rodriguez and Nick Swisher.

This is from Reuters but it cites a poll conducted by ESPN in Spring Training.

Hard to believe A-Rod is on there, and why Swisher would come up. Joba I can see from the hype a few years ago but interesting that 3 yankees come up 1, 2 and 3 in this poll.

teknetic
05-07-10, 06:48 PM
Swisher :lol:

JBursch23
05-07-10, 06:49 PM
Envy.

JOBA RULES
05-07-10, 07:03 PM
what a joke...AROD overrated?! Swisher???....what the hell??? So anti-NY it's comical. I think Wright and Reyes are WAY overrated as well.

snarkerella
05-07-10, 07:08 PM
Joba? Swisher? :lol:

MassNYYfan
05-07-10, 07:13 PM
Nick Swisher. Who knew? Good work, ESPN!

Yankees13
05-07-10, 07:16 PM
One of the ten best players of all-time is overrated? And how the hell is Nick Swisher overrated? He's an afterthought basically to the national media.

NYYDragoon
05-07-10, 07:21 PM
Hahaha, wtf.

(That was a stupid post, but it was my reaction.)

NYYDragoon
05-07-10, 08:11 PM
Swish is so overrated :P.

TheYankee
05-07-10, 08:51 PM
Nick Swisher. Who knew? Good work, ESPN!lolwut? :lol: This is the players thoughts. ESPN just facilitated the poll.

justtxyank
05-07-10, 08:56 PM
Hard to believe that Swisher would make this list. I wonder if Guillen made the entire Sox team vote for Swish.

Hooligan Tavarez
05-07-10, 09:18 PM
Swisher is one of the more underrated players in baseball. Crazy poll.

Jeter Kid
05-07-10, 09:20 PM
What a stupid list. A lot of these players must be pretty dense and/or jealous of Yankee players.

cupcollector99
05-07-10, 09:26 PM
I hope they over rate themselves to a few more rings while the ESPN whiners cry themselves to sleep.

nhyankeefan
05-07-10, 09:52 PM
The Yanks are lucky they were able to win the World Series with all their over rated players.

I'm A Wenner!
05-07-10, 10:05 PM
They're baseball players, not brain surgeons. They have stupid thoughts and sometimes they say them and embarrass themselves.

Joba-Walkee
05-07-10, 10:14 PM
"Who will win the World Series"
38% said the Yankees.

"Best Franchise"
52% said the Yankees

And most importantly, Philo won biggest badass.

Ram Man
05-07-10, 10:24 PM
I didn't know Swisher was rated at all.

CoyoteYankee
05-07-10, 10:43 PM
Swisher is one of the more underrated players in baseball. Crazy poll.

Agreed. I can see Joba and I can even see players saying A-Rod is overrated because of jealousy, they don't like him, are sick of hearing about him, etc. But Swish? It's just so weird.

JohnnyEllis
05-07-10, 10:46 PM
They really mean overhated.

Beyle
05-07-10, 10:47 PM
Agreed. I can see Joba and I can even see players saying A-Rod is overrated because of jealousy, they don't like him, are sick of hearing about him, etc. But Swish? It's just so weird.

Yeah, I definitely understand some players' jealousy toward Joba and A-Rod, but Swisher? :wtf:

Veovis
05-07-10, 10:47 PM
Clearly player opinions do not matter if they favor pitchers hitting over the DH.

Tifoso
05-07-10, 10:50 PM
ESPN sucks.

I agree completely re the DH

-tz
05-07-10, 10:51 PM
:link: :confused:

NYYRules#1
05-07-10, 10:53 PM
Players' polls are typically the dumbest things on Earth.

They're really not the smartest bunch all the time, especially in large groups.

yankeesAZ
05-07-10, 10:58 PM
Has Swisher even made an all-star team?

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-07-10, 11:23 PM
Kiss the ring bitches

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-07-10, 11:32 PM
Beckett should be number 1 btw. Remember the Clemens comparisons when the Sox traded for him?

Swishilisious
05-07-10, 11:49 PM
Beckett should be number 1 btw. Remember the Clemens comparisons when the Sox traded for him?
This this a million times this. Beckett is BY FAR the most overrated with matsuzaka close behind.

-tz
05-08-10, 12:07 AM
Well, if no one else including the OP is going to post a link ...

http://ca.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idCATRE6450CY20100506

bnorris85
05-08-10, 12:43 AM
I wanna know who would rather win the mvp over a ws...thats who you don't want on your team.

chelloveck
05-08-10, 01:29 AM
Looks like Swisher is officially a Yankee.

Swishilisious
05-08-10, 01:38 AM
Looks like Swisher is officially a Yankee.I don't see how Swish is overrated I mean he was traded for Wilson friggin Betemit.

metalyank
05-08-10, 03:04 AM
LMAO! Swisher overrated?

Overdumb voters...

chelloveck
05-08-10, 03:07 AM
I don't see how Swish is overrated I mean he was traded for Wilson friggin Betemit.

Hehehe... I hear ya but it sounds like he's earned his stripes with all the hate. Seems non-Yankee fans like to hate the people we like, just because...

2PhonesMaccabee
05-08-10, 04:49 AM
Swisher is overrated? If anything Swisher is underrated. I agree that A-Rod is overrated but really Joba is the second most overrated player in all of baseball? Do these players realize that the Red Sox pitching staff is still in the majors?

sugmasterflex
05-08-10, 06:50 AM
The Yanks are lucky they were able to win the World Series with all their over rated players.

Zing!!!

Players should stick to what they do best...

ajra21
05-08-10, 07:29 AM
this poll really is awful. wow ...

mr.roy
05-08-10, 07:43 AM
I am not believing this.

ArodEra
05-08-10, 08:26 AM
Kiss the ring bitches
The Yanks handed one to you too?

BronxYanks45
05-08-10, 09:20 AM
Swisher is very much underrated

that poll is a joke

AnA-bombforA-rod
05-08-10, 09:37 AM
I am thinking this is more of a product of jealousy than anything. Swish is rarely ever talked about, how is he overrated? And I don't think anything needs to be said for A-Rod, if anyone thinks he is overrated they are pretty clueless. And the only way people overrate Joba is by making him out to be this all-time great reliever, which he isn't, although he is very good.

Swishilisious
05-08-10, 09:46 AM
I am thinking this is more of a product of jealousy than anything. Swish is rarely ever talked about, how is he overrated? And I don't think anything needs to be said for A-Rod, if anyone thinks he is overrated they are pretty clueless. And the only way people overrate Joba is by making him out to be this all-time great reliever, which he isn't, although he is very good.Joba is overrated. There was so much hype surrounding him when he first came up that first September and his performance since then has not lived up to the hype.

mr.roy
05-08-10, 10:06 AM
Right.
He was a sensation when he came on the scene throwing 98-100 setting up Mo.
It's a difficult thing to live up to throwing that hard with/without accuracy.
Chains of management didn't help.
He'll settle in this year just fine. Hype is overrated. I think Yogi said that on an AFLAC commercial.

JfromJersey
05-08-10, 12:46 PM
How many times did Dallas Braden vote in that poll?

Yankeeah
05-08-10, 01:16 PM
More from that poll:

Jeter, Utley and A-Rod tied for 3rd on best player with 4% of the vote.

Jeter Manny and Wright tied for 5th on most overrated with 5%

Yankees got 38% of who will win World Series, Philles 2nd with 19%

8% of players think the schedule should be scaled back to 100 games.

Rivera, Burnett, Beckett, Carpenter, Josh Johnson and Cliff Lee tied for 5th with 2% of the vote for nastiest stuff.

52% think the Yankees are the best franchise, Boston 2nd with 16%

Sabathia tied for 6th with Chris Young (Padres) with 4% in last guy you'd want to fight.

Girardi got 6% of best manager vote for 6th place.

-tz
05-08-10, 01:18 PM
More from that poll:

Jeter, Utley and A-Rod tied for 3rd on best player with 4% of the vote.

Jeter Manny and Wright tied for 5th on most overrated with 5%

Yankees got 38% of who will win World Series, Philles 2nd with 19%

8% of players think the schedule should be scaled back to 100 games.

Rivera, Burnett, Beckett, Carpenter, Josh Johnson and Cliff Lee tied for 5th with 2% of the vote for nastiest stuff.

52% think the Yankees are the best franchise, Boston 2nd with 16%

Sabathia tied for 6th with Chris Young (Padres) with 4% in last guy you'd want to fight.

Girardi got 6% of best manager vote for 6th place.Link? Link? Link? :confused:

Yankeeah
05-08-10, 01:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5161483

iiMax
05-08-10, 01:34 PM
If anything Swisher is underrated, he has just blossomed while with the Yankees.

yankees135
05-08-10, 05:31 PM
One of the ten best players of all-time is overrated? And how the hell is Nick Swisher overrated? He's an afterthought basically to the national media.

Although to be fair, the fact that people think he is the top 10 players of all time actually means he is MORE likely to be overrated. You say Swisher is an afterthought thus he can't be overrated. I agree with this--swisher on this list makes no sense-- but when you apply that reasoning to A-Rod, it means it is at least *possible* he is overrated.

delv
05-08-10, 07:50 PM
If anything Swisher is underrated, he has just blossomed while with the Yankees.

not really, Mr. Kellerman. he has played exactly like he did with the A's

yankeesAZ
05-08-10, 11:39 PM
They can all kiss our "overrated" World Series rings!

ring403
05-09-10, 01:38 AM
The results have more to do with personalities than baseball skills. In their own ways, A-Rod, Swisher, and Joba each tend to rub other players the wrong way.

ThePinStripes
05-09-10, 04:09 AM
how did swisher make the list before Pettitte and JETER!?

NewEraYanks2527
05-09-10, 08:31 AM
Pedroia, Beckett, Victor Martinez.

Yea I can play this game too.

35Knucklecurve
05-09-10, 09:26 AM
ESPN is overrated.

I'm A Wenner!
05-09-10, 10:38 AM
ESPN is overrated.

Just as a reminder, ESPN conducted a poll of players. These aren't the opinions of any ESPN employees.

The Q Bomb
05-09-10, 11:10 AM
what a joke...AROD overrated?! Swisher???....what the hell??? So anti-NY it's comical. I think Wright and Reyes are WAY overrated as well. Great point. Reyes gets some criticism but David Wright,is like The Great White Hope, he can do no wrong. I personally find him a sniveling little wannabe.

As far as the three Yankees who top that list - I actually can see A-Rod being thought overrated taking into account his performance over the past three seasons (even including his unbelievable 2009 postseason) because he is still considered at least the second best player in the game behind Pujols - although, I don't know who would supplant him as number two. As another forumer said, why would Swisher even be on the list? Who overrates him, except Yankee fans? Joba I can see. But, again as another forumer pointed out, it's an anti-New York bias. Too damn bad!

TampaDude
05-09-10, 12:33 PM
Ah...more Yankee hate...keep it comin', ESPN... :lol:

BRNXBMRS
05-10-10, 08:45 AM
Jeter goes from being overrated to one of the best in the game. Espn is irrelevant and is trying to get people to watch it since there is MLB tv.

BRNXBMRS
05-10-10, 08:48 AM
Pedroia, Beckett, Victor Martinez.

Yea I can play this game too.

They are grinders, they play the game the way it was meant to be played. Throwing out 4% of baserunners is a lot!

Hitman23
05-10-10, 08:49 AM
Wait... A-Rod has the numbers to back up any claim to his superstardom, and has had them since season 1 of his career. Swisher overrated? By who? He's a very productive player on the team and I have yet to see anyone describe him as anything more than he is. Joba I could see last year or the year before but this year he is very solid, doing what he does best and he's getting credit for it, nothing more.

Overrated gets thrown around way too much these days.

flymick24
05-10-10, 11:04 AM
if they're helping us win games, they can be as "overrated" as they want to be

Axon
05-10-10, 11:38 AM
I don't understand what's going on within the culture of the sporting fan lately, but there is a ton of hateraide out there these days. My Brother In Law two weeks ago said he thought LeBron James was overrated and that he disliked him because of his arrogance...but he likes Kobe Bryant.

Wha??!

To call ARod overrated is one thing, but no one on the planet Earth overrates Nick Swisher.

DrNick
05-10-10, 12:19 PM
In 2008 SI ran a poll where Jeter and ARod were ranked 1st and 3rd for most over-rated. In a separate poll a couple of weeks earlier players ranked ARod and Jeter 1 and 2 for players they would build a team around.

Since when do players know what the hell they are talking about.

35Knucklecurve
05-10-10, 02:11 PM
Just as a reminder, ESPN conducted a poll of players. These aren't the opinions of any ESPN employees.
Oh, I know. I was just giving my opinion of ESPN in general. I guess if the employees had been allowed to vote, Mo would have made the list.;)

JOBA RULES
05-10-10, 02:44 PM
oh man broke wind...

Nuke LaLoosh
05-10-10, 04:46 PM
ESPN should be so proud of the fine journalistic organization it has evolved into over the years. I mean just look at these hard hitting and important questions they asked in the poll. Are they fishing for their next "Tiger Woods" story?

Which city has the best groupies?
How many players cheat on their wives?
Do you stare at women in the crowd?

wileedog
05-10-10, 05:19 PM

No, but some of them may be future ESPN employees, which explains a lot.

False1
05-10-10, 09:20 PM
Hahaha... hopefully Hughes and Montero make that list in the next two years. Who cares if players think they're overrated - this team right now is a juggernaut.

dave8274
05-11-10, 10:02 AM
I can see A-Rod and Joba, both of these guys are overrated. Swisher if anything is underrated.

In the case of A-Rod, saying he's overrated doesn't mean he sucks or anything. He's just always talked about and paid like the best hitter in the game, and he's not that guy anymore. He's more like the bottom half of the top 10 the past 3 years. A great player, sure, but overrated.

Agree on Beckett - he is far and away the most overrated player in the game.

Jasbro
05-11-10, 11:09 AM
ESPN should be so proud of the fine journalistic organization it has evolved into over the years. I mean just look at these hard hitting and important questions they asked in the poll. Are they fishing for their next "Tiger Woods" story?

Which city has the best groupies?
How many players cheat on their wives?
Do you stare at women in the crowd?

ESPN isn't a "journalistic organization" -- they are an entertainment network.

DontHateOnNumber2
05-11-10, 12:31 PM
What the hell...Swisher. :lol: With the exception of his stint in Chicago he's the same player. Low average, high OBP, some power in the bat. Overrated? Is this because of the freaking commercial??

BobbytheMurcer
05-11-10, 04:25 PM
I think Jeter made the list as worst player one year...

good company..