PDA

View Full Version : Robin Roberts RIP

Sixty one
05-06-10, 12:36 PM
I just found out that this great HOF pitcher died at the age of 83. For those of you too young to know about him, you should know that he was a remarkable pitcher who played for some poor Philly teams in the 1940's and had an outstanding year in 1950 leading them to a pennant . However, they lost to the Yanks in four games that was dominated by pitching. Roberts could have won well over 300 games if he had played for the Dodgers or Yanks during the 1950's but still was able to win close to 300 games and what is even remarkable would be the number of innings he pitched every year and the number of shutouts, I think 45, in his time in the big leagues. There were no pitch counts in those days and he sometimes threw over 300 innings in a year. The worst stat that he has would be the number of homeruns that he allowed which was considerable.

kan_t
05-06-10, 01:42 PM
RIP

Lots of people underrate his greatness because of his ERA+, HR allowed and the lack of success in his second half of his career. From 1950 to 1955, he was 138-78 with 135 ERA+ in 1937.2 innings. In this period, He has at least 20 wins, 300 innings and 20 complete games every season. What an excellent peak. I agree with Sixty one that he would be a 300 wins pitcher if he played for the Dodgers or the Yankees.

JeterRodriguezSheff
05-06-10, 01:44 PM
Holy ****, I read that as "Brian Roberts RIP" at first. Regardless, RIP.

35Knucklecurve
05-06-10, 02:12 PM
I missed being able to see him pitch, but I remember my Dad talking about Roberts. I used to enjoy listening to Richie Ashburn, who joined the Phils broadcast team after he retired - he had high praise for him.

Thanks for posting those stats - I had no idea he'd racked up all those complete games and innings.

RIP, Robin.

HelloNewman
05-06-10, 05:02 PM
I remember when I was a kid, I used to watch Tom Seaver, and the announcers were constantly comparing Seaver's delivery and general style to Robin Roberts.

hardrain
05-06-10, 09:54 PM
one of the Whiz Kids from the 50 Phillies....may God Rest.