PDA

View Full Version : Yankees being cheap? Yay or Nay?

Metroidman
04-26-10, 08:57 PM
http://itsaboutthemoney.net/archives/2010/04/26/yankees-payroll-at-league-average-not-really/

Yes, I understand: the Yankees do not have a small payroll. The truth is, the Yankees have huge revenues. If the Yankees spent revenue on payroll at the same percentage as the Tigers, the Yankees could add another $80 million in player salaries! They could add Ryan Howard, John Lackey, Matt Holliday and Roy Halladay, with money left over.

PirateChief
04-26-10, 08:59 PM
Is this "yankees being cheap" or "tigers spending like Japan"

delv
04-26-10, 09:07 PM
um, this is misleading. if you take just overall profits from baseball operations, the yanks aren't immensely profitable. if you consider YES and other stuff, they are... but that money shouldnt be going to baseball payroll anyways.

Metroidman
04-26-10, 09:09 PM
um, this is misleading. if you take just overall profits from baseball operations, the yanks aren't immensely profitable. if you consider YES and other stuff, they are... but that money shouldnt be going to baseball payroll anyways.

Each team is judged by the same method. The Yankees aren't judged in terms of revenue in any different method than the Tigers. The Tigers spend 65% of their revenue. The Yankees spend 46%

montrealer
04-26-10, 09:18 PM
Yankees have spent a Billion plus dollars already this Century...................where the Hell is this going?

montrealer
04-26-10, 09:18 PM
and nobody`s even freak`in close.........

groovitude
04-27-10, 12:18 AM
The Yankees pay for the best bang for their buck; another impact player -- like Holliday -- in the middle of a lineup this deep is only going to add a win or two a season, and the cost is simply not worth it.

False1
04-27-10, 12:36 AM
I don't know if anyone has validated the numbers they are using, but I'm not putting a lot of stock in this. This completely ignores the luxury tax - pretty glaring omission. Using their numbers, the Yankees will pay ~$14.5MM in lux tax this year and that will push this metric up over 50% for the Yankees.

And who knows what other expenses eat away at that revenue? Kind of a meaningless article IMHO.

BRNXBMRS
04-27-10, 07:58 AM
How can they sign Ryan Howard, he just signed an extension yesterday. The author cant even get that right.

I would ask the author do the other teams like their ball parks sold out when the Yanks come to town.

CommerceComet
04-27-10, 09:00 AM
I don't know if the Yankees are being cheap or not but I never believe them when they say they can't afford someone. It might not be wise to spend the money but it's available if they chose to spend it and they'll still make a profit and make all their debt payments. I don't think that things are as tight financially as they sometimes suggest.

Actually, it's hard to make a blanket evaluation of the Yankees' spending habits. I think that each situation has to be evaluated on its own merits.

deadrabbit79
04-27-10, 11:16 AM
Not really sure what the point of this article is. They make a lot of money and they put it back into there product. I am not sure what the problem is.

Bozidar
04-27-10, 12:16 PM
Each team is judged by the same method. The Yankees aren't judged in terms of revenue in any different method than the Tigers. The Tigers spend 65% of their revenue. The Yankees spend 46%What percentage of Yankees dollars go twards salaries after they pay payroll taxes and profit sharing, and what percentage of the tigers money goes towards salaries after they recieve said dollars?

BronxYanks45
04-27-10, 01:53 PM
the team has other expenses other than payroll

Bozidar
04-27-10, 03:15 PM
it's just ludicris to think that we'd take these "numbers" at face value.

lies, damn lies, statistics, and baseball "revenue" reports.

NYYRules#1
04-27-10, 03:17 PM
I believe the Tigers were one of two teams to lose money last year.

So much for spending at that high a level.

rajah
04-28-10, 07:25 AM
What does this question mean? The Yankees are a profit making business. Do you mean that they would make more money if they spent more money on payroll because the team would be more dominant and they could sell tickets at a higher price? If so, I doubt you are correct. The ticket sales seem to be fine for this economy, especially after winning the WS last year. If I were Hal, I would give Cashman a budget and tell him you should be able to get into the playoffs with this so we can maximize our returns.

Perhaps you mean that the Yankees have too large a profit and "owe it to their fans" to spend more. Would you say that about other profit making businesses? They owe it to their customers to reduce prices or have more quality at the same price? In our economy, we allow businesses to make as much as they can unless they are breaking some law in doing so. If you do not think the Yankees are worth the ticket price, don't buy the tickets or watch the advertisements they sell on TV.

NerfBall55
04-28-10, 10:31 AM
The Yankees pay for the best bang for their buck; another impact player -- like Holliday -- in the middle of a lineup this deep is only going to add a win or two a season, and the cost is simply not worth it.

I remember reading that at Fangraphs - the Yankees are so good that adding a Holliday is irrelevant. Awesome.

JavyVazquezIsSick
04-28-10, 11:41 AM
They are being huge vaginas when it comes to the IFA and the DRAFT. Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

brosiusbuddy
04-28-10, 06:51 PM
Baseball is a business. Primary objective is to make money. Secondary objective is to win. Yankees do both very well. They need to make no changes to their operations because some writer is looking for a story

groovitude
04-28-10, 11:13 PM
I remember reading that at Fangraphs - the Yankees are so good that adding a Holliday is irrelevant. Awesome.That article is the one that made me think about this idea for the first time, and realize it was completely and totally accurate.

I heart Yankees.

ArodEra
04-29-10, 12:17 PM

Why not? Who subscribes to YES and buys their products? Ballerinas?